PDA

View Full Version : Roger Goodell offers to reduce Jonathan Vilma's suspension to 8 games

Masstastic
08-05-2012, 11:02 PM
The NFL has offered to reduce New Orleans Saints linebacker Jonathan Vilma's year-long suspension to eight games as part of ongoing settlement talks involving the league, the NFL Players Association and legal representatives for the four players who were suspended for their alleged participation in the team's bounty program from 2009-2011, according to sources familiar with the discussions.

The league's offer was made late last week but it is conditional upon Vilma dropping a civil lawsuit charging commissioner Roger Goodell with defamation of character, sources said. Vilma has expressed his strong feelings about his tainted reputation.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8238319/sources-jonathan-vilma-suspension-reduced-withdraws-civil-suit

Commissioner of Peace

Backus21
08-05-2012, 11:04 PM
He's been taking a lot of heat for this lately so Im not surprised. Good move Goodell...Wow thats weird to say

Phil9
08-05-2012, 11:06 PM
Vilma should take that deal and be happy.

workoutjunkie94
08-05-2012, 11:10 PM
Vilma should keep going till he offers to bring it down to 4

Also if he is offering this he knows villa is right and dosent deserve the suspension

wildchild11
08-05-2012, 11:12 PM
Also if he is offering this he knows villa is right and dosent deserve the suspension

exactly. Might as well admit that you were flat out wrong.

Blood in the water...blood in the water.

Goodell is gonna get buried under an avalanche of lawsuits now that players are watching vilma do it

USAviator
08-05-2012, 11:17 PM
Lol he buckled

Dave P
08-05-2012, 11:18 PM
Wow...

...this will open a floodgate, what a horrible decision.

So basically from now on every single player that ever has an issue will file a civil case for defamation?

Masstastic
08-05-2012, 11:31 PM
Wow...

...this will open a floodgate, what a horrible decision.

So basically from now on every single player that ever has an issue will file a civil case for defamation?
Wow.

Didn't even think of it like that. Yeah this actually might bite him in the ass for years.

jump_man23
08-05-2012, 11:34 PM
I don't understand what Goodell's camp was thinking. It's not like he pays for his legal counsel out of pocket, he could have tied this issue up in court for years.

edit: Actually it is a pr nightmare. Goodell doesn't want to make the league an adversarial me vs. the players type of thing.

cor030
08-05-2012, 11:43 PM
I don't think this will necessarily open up the floodgates for other players to sue to get out of suspensions. If anything I think this shows the evidence against vilma might not be as strong as thought so maybe goodell thinks its best to settle.

Definitely opens up questions about this whole bounty gate situation though if a guy like Goodell is backing down like this.

TTexasTT
08-06-2012, 12:32 AM
lol Goodell knows there is now a bounty on his head.

BasedPrincess
08-06-2012, 12:53 AM
It was clear from the beginning that Vilma was being made an unfair scapegoat just for being the leader of the defense....

ilovedrpepper
08-06-2012, 01:03 AM
hey yo goodell..

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg189/scaled.php?server=189&filename=2akl6p3.gif&res=landing

klingon1701
08-06-2012, 01:31 AM
As a loyal citizen of the Who Dat Nation. I commend the bastard Goothell for this. Especially since his "proof" is in question. He has never shown what "proof" he has. He appealed it to himself...yeah right. His best bet is to stay clear of the Who Dat Nation, for he is #1 on the Most Wanted List.

Now, to free Coach Peyton from his ramrodding by the same petaQ!!!

However, when we win the Superbowl this year, IN OUR OWN HOUSE, I think Peyton should accept the trophy on behalf of my beloved Saints. I mean, after we win, the season is over, right!!!

WHO DAT!!!

Horns3
08-06-2012, 01:48 AM
**** Gooddell he's a piece of **** pussy bitch. I wouldn't take it if I was Vilma.

woofermazing
08-06-2012, 02:27 AM
I'd like to see the transcript.

Goodell: I'll admit, the evidence is pretty shoddy, but it's gonna hurt the league more if we have to rescind all our rulings. How bout we just make it 8 games and call it a day?

Vilma: U serious bro?

The judge in the lawsuit already chewed out Goodell for how the bounty program was adjudicated. They had 7 sworn in witnesses that all categorically denied a bounty program, and laid out how they believed NFL investigators misconstrued evidence. NFL lawyers didn't even bother to deny that, probably because that would mean they would have to refer to their own (lack of) evidence. They simply argued that it doesn't matter because the court has no jurisdiction.

iamgenus
08-06-2012, 03:56 AM
Stupid...

waytoodeep03
08-06-2012, 06:39 AM
hey yo goodell..

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg189/scaled.php?server=189&filename=2akl6p3.gif&res=landing

LOL @ Irvins face at the end

PervedOut
08-06-2012, 06:42 AM
in b4 his resignation

Bowyermania
08-06-2012, 06:57 AM
As a loyal citizen of the Who Dat Nation. I commend the bastard Goothell for this. Especially since his "proof" is in question. He has never shown what "proof" he has. He appealed it to himself...yeah right. His best bet is to stay clear of the Who Dat Nation, for he is #1 on the Most Wanted List.

Now, to free Coach Peyton from his ramrodding by the same petaQ!!!

However, when we win the Superbowl this year, IN OUR OWN HOUSE, I think Peyton should accept the trophy on behalf of my beloved Saints. I mean, after we win, the season is over, right!!!

WHO DAT!!!

Do you honestly believe that Goodell and the NFL would target one thier most popular franchises, and severely punish them for no reason? What motive does he have to create this giant mess? Everyone knows that a bounty system went on, really what people are arguing over is to the degree it went and what degree of punishment is warranted. People saying that there is no evidence and this is just some big conspiracy against the New Orleans Saints are almost delusional as Penn State fans. Your players and coaches violated the rules and then lied to Goodells face about it.

This move on Goodell's part seems like a calculated move to save face from the poor PR that accompanies a player suing the commissioner.

monsterBEN
08-06-2012, 06:59 AM
Commish has no case if they're offering this reduction.

Bowyermania
08-06-2012, 07:03 AM
Commish has no case if they're offering this reduction.

Kind of like Prosecutors have completely no case when they offer plea deals? Not sure if srs.

BullStampede
08-06-2012, 07:21 AM
what an idiot.

CCAurora
08-06-2012, 08:06 AM
Strong fake story, OP. Schefter confirms no offer was made.

Trapstar4.4
08-06-2012, 08:31 AM
yeah sounds like this was reported incorrectly. the suspension is still on, although it will be interesting how it plays out.

regGQ
08-06-2012, 08:33 AM
Saints r bake

BullStampede
08-06-2012, 08:54 AM
If he has any brains at all, he will leave the suspension as is. Otherwise...

joedirt87
08-06-2012, 08:59 AM
Should have offered this phaggot a 2 year ban if he kept it up instead of reduction. Team Katrina gonna Katrina.

BenadrylBandit
08-06-2012, 09:28 AM
Should have just said he made a mistake and threw out the suspension.

klingon1701
08-08-2012, 01:54 PM
Do you honestly believe that Goodell and the NFL would target one thier most popular franchises, and severely punish them for no reason? What motive does he have to create this giant mess? Everyone knows that a bounty system went on, really what people are arguing over is to the degree it went and what degree of punishment is warranted. People saying that there is no evidence and this is just some big conspiracy against the New Orleans Saints are almost delusional as Penn State fans. Your players and coaches violated the rules and then lied to Goodells face about it.

This move on Goodell's part seems like a calculated move to save face from the poor PR that accompanies a player suing the commissioner.
If this had happened to the Patriots or Colts(now Broncos since Manning is the #2 Chosen child) this would never had happened. Gootohell would have said "oh, it's just football. Don't diss my girlfriends Brady or Manning"

They can't handle the fact the Saints have become a top tier team, and Drew is blasting all of Chosen Bois Brady & Manning records, and have owned the Pats the last 4 years. Owned the Giants too. Owned the Cowturds. They just don't know what to do w/ NOLA as a top team.

Oh well, Domefield Advantage in the Superbowl is the best revenge!!! Can't beat us in our own house!!!

DA_MOSS
08-08-2012, 06:42 PM
Should have offered this phaggot a 2 year ban if he kept it up instead of reduction. Team Katrina gonna Katrina.

"phaggot team katrina fan, your superbowl victory was rigged. hope you get hit with another hurricane"

nice neg comment ...

MUFC | Buccaneers | Tomahawk Nation .. Makes sense though..