PDA

View Full Version : Thinking i'm getting fatter when i'm not?

richgp
08-04-2012, 10:15 AM
I'm still eating at a deficit, the scale is still dropping, I can feel and somewhat see muscles growing, but I can't help but think i'm getting fatter in the mirror. Is this just in my head? Is this a common experience?

justanothagirl
08-04-2012, 10:33 AM
Very strange, why do you think you're getting fatter? What are you seeing in the mirror? (Larger belly, less muscle definition, puffiness?)

richgp
08-04-2012, 10:44 AM
I just feel like i look more bloated. Might be water retention.

Shankapotamus
08-04-2012, 11:06 AM
Mostly psychological. I've been out of the gym for the past 2 months because of classes, and whenever I would look in the mirror I swore I had reached the 200s again. Weighed myself when I got back, lost 2 lbs.

Don't disregard the mirror, it's very important, but realize that you are your greatest critic.

justanothagirl
08-04-2012, 11:07 AM
I just feel like i look more bloated. Might be water retention.Could it be because your muscles are flatter (depleted)? And you might be holding more water due to cortisol release from being on a caloric deficit.

eloblivion
08-04-2012, 11:51 AM
I used to think the same and understand how it messes with your head. There are many factors though with bloating being a big culprit for thinking your belly is bigger. I did a test last night for example, measuring my stomach soon after wheat (makes me bloat) and then a few hours later on an empty stomach. My belly was 2 inches smaller.