View Full Version : My diet ok?

Rycinthemiddle
08-03-2012, 12:27 PM
Relocated into right section i think
i will try to keep this short.
I am a hard gainer!!!
So started working out in september 2011 and I'm 6 foot 1 weighed 144 lbs
have been working out since i now weigh 180 lbs long term goal is 190-200 lbs
since the summer started i really went into health mode as im waiting for uni to start up again

I usually eat like this:
Morning - 3 eggs and 3 slices of bread, 1 pint of full milk and a cereal bar

brunch-1 pint of full milk and a yogurt

Lunch- random meal something like spag bol and 1 pint of milk

Post work out -whey protien shake

Dinner-usual good healthy dinner

Supper -1 pint of full milk and maybe some bread

That any good??

Also routine is something like:
monday: Chest and biceps-bench press, incline bench press, flys, incline flys, dumbbell arm curls,hammer curls and another bicep workout

Tuesday: shoulders back and triceps: shoulder press, high pull,dumbbell bent over row, lat pull down, seated low row,triceps push downs skull crusher

Wednesday: Legs and abs: dumbbell squats, leg extension machine and curl machine, then a bunch of stomach ones i cant remember the names of.

What you guys think?
Any help appreciated!!

Also i am now reading the stickes as advised!

McMahon
08-03-2012, 12:50 PM
In the morning, I'd avoid milk, as it slows absorption of egg protein, which is when you need it most. Juice (100% natural, not any "flavored drinks) will spike your insulin to help with protein uptake. Save the milk for bedtime, as slow-absorbing protein is ideal then since you'll be going a while without any food. For bread, I'd definitely recommend whole wheat, as it's going to have a lot of nutritional advantages over white.

Keep reading the stickies. I'll let someone else comment on your routine, but at a quick glance, I'd say to focus more on basic, compound movements (squats, pullups, dips, etc) instead of focusing on smaller muscle groups. Less is often times more.

TaylorCS
08-03-2012, 01:16 PM
As McMahon pointed out, I would definitely stick to compound movements as you will get the most "bang for you buck" with these exercises. Search youtube for videos references of deadlifts, benchpress, push press, squats, pull ups and possibly power cleans (depending on your fitness/skill level) to make sure your form is correct.

Typically, for these exercises, coaches will recommend lower reps with increased rest in between each set, so something like 3-5 sets of 5 reps with 3-5 minutes rest between each exercise. I personally do not notice an increase in muscle gain by keeping my reps this low, so I usually lower the weights and increase the reps by just a couple. Everyone will respond differently.

McMahon gave you some specifics as far as when you should eat certain foods and the reasons behind that. That's all good but it doesn't sound like you're at that level just yet when eating certain foods as certain times is something you need to be paying attention to.

You're 6 foot 1, 144 lbs. You're an ectomorph, at least on paper you are. You're one of the lucky few who can eat whatever they want and not gain much weight. With that said, focus on consuming high amounts of carbohydrates and proteins. I personally set myself a goal to eat X # of grams of protein/carbs and fat each day. So do this:

I recommend a macro split of 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat. Shoot for at the very least 1 gram of protein per body pound. That's 144 grams right there. I recommend you eat 3000 calories to start with each day. Break up those calories according to the percentages I listed already. Remember, one gram of protein and one gram of carbs has 4 calories. 1 gram of fat is 9 calories. 40% of 300 = 1200 which means 1200 of those calories are coming from carbs. Since we know 1 gram of carbs is 4 calories, you're going to divide 1200 by 4 and that will give you the # of carbs you should be eating each day which is 300. Now do the equation for protein and fat.

Stick to those numbers for at least 2 weeks. Assess and come back and ask more questions.

Good Luck!

braggable
08-03-2012, 02:08 PM
OP, your individual food choices don't matter. What you need to do is figure out your cal and macro requirements and eat foods that you enjoy to meet them. Do not listen to morons like the guy I quoted below me.

I recommend a macro split of 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat. Shoot for at the very least 1 gram of protein per body pound. That's 144 grams right there. I recommend you eat 3000 calories to start with each day. Break up those calories according to the percentages I listed already. Remember, one gram of protein and one gram of carbs has 4 calories. 1 gram of fat is 9 calories. 40% of 300 = 1200 which means 1200 of those calories are coming from carbs. Since we know 1 gram of carbs is 4 calories, you're going to divide 1200 by 4 and that will give you the # of carbs you should be eating each day which is 300. Now do the equation for protein and fat.

Not only are you an idiot for recommending arbitrary percentages, but you clearly cannot do simple math. 40% of 300 = 1200?

Don't ever post in here again. I will neg you into red if you do.

Popadopalus
08-03-2012, 02:11 PM
I would say u need to be eating more things like chicken rice potatoes oats beef tuna, that type of stuff and more of it
Something like this:
Meal one: 3eggs, 1cup oats, 2 slices of toast
Meal 2: beef pattie and potatoes
Meal 3: tuna and 1-1.5cup of rice with tbsp of olive oil
Meal 4: chicken with rice/potatoes or whatever
Meal 5: 1.5cups oats and 1scoop whey.
Something like this^ but obviously tailored to u that meets ur daily requirements

Rycinthemiddle
08-03-2012, 02:19 PM
As McMahon pointed out, I would definitely stick to compound movements as you will get the most "bang for you buck" with these exercises. Search youtube for videos references of deadlifts, benchpress, push press, squats, pull ups and possibly power cleans (depending on your fitness/skill level) to make sure your form is correct.

Typically, for these exercises, coaches will recommend lower reps with increased rest in between each set, so something like 3-5 sets of 5 reps with 3-5 minutes rest between each exercise. I personally do not notice an increase in muscle gain by keeping my reps this low, so I usually lower the weights and increase the reps by just a couple. Everyone will respond differently.

McMahon gave you some specifics as far as when you should eat certain foods and the reasons behind that. That's all good but it doesn't sound like you're at that level just yet when eating certain foods as certain times is something you need to be paying attention to.

You're 6 foot 1, 144 lbs. You're an ectomorph, at least on paper you are. You're one of the lucky few who can eat whatever they want and not gain much weight. With that said, focus on consuming high amounts of carbohydrates and proteins. I personally set myself a goal to eat X # of grams of protein/carbs and fat each day. So do this:

Stick to those numbers for at least 2 weeks. Assess and come back and ask more questions.

Good Luck!

Cheers man, btw im not 140 lbs anymore that was in September i am now 180 lbs :)
i try to get in about 3500-4000 kcals a day

Rycinthemiddle
08-03-2012, 02:22 PM
I would say u need to be eating more things like chicken rice potatoes oats beef tuna, that type of stuff and more of it
Something like this:
Meal one: 3eggs, 1cup oats, 2 slices of toast
Meal 2: beef pattie and potatoes
Meal 3: tuna and 1-1.5cup of rice with tbsp of olive oil
Meal 4: chicken with rice/potatoes or whatever
Meal 5: 1.5cups oats and 1scoop whey.
Something like this^ but obviously tailored to u that meets ur daily requirements

will do some tweaking in diet man!! but alot of my pasta and rice/ chicken and steak comes in both my lunch and dinner!

Popadopalus
08-03-2012, 02:22 PM
Bulking Diet
4,000 Calories
This diet is based on a 200 pound male.
Meal #1
6 Whole Eggs
2 Slices Toast
1 Cup Oatmeal
2 Cups 1% Milk
Multivitamin/mineral supplement
2 Tablespoons Flax Seed Oil
Protein = 51 grams
Carbs = 49 grams
Fat = 35 grams
Total Calories = 1,000
Meal #2
3oz Peanuts
2 Cans Tuna
Protein = 84 grams
Carbs = 15 grams
Fat = 48 grams
Total Calories = 780
Meal #3
8oz Grilled Chicken Breast
1 1/2 Half Cups Rice
Protein = 50 grams
Carbs = 76 grams
Fat = 6 grams
Total Calories = 540
Meal #4
7oz Sirloin Steak
2 Potatoes
Protein = 60 grams
Carbs = 26 grams
Fat = 18 grams
Total Calories = 600
Meal #5 (Pre-Workout)
8oz Grilled Chicken Breast
1 Half Cup Rice
1 Rice Cake (with peanut butter)
2 Bananas
Protein = 60 grams
Carbs = 90 grams
Fat = 8 grams
Total Calories = 650
Meal #6 (Post Workout Shake)
ON 100% Whey Protein (2 Scoops)
2 Tablespoons Glutamine
Multivitamin/mineral supplement
10oz Apple Juice
1 Can Fat Free Yogurt
(Post Workout Meal)
8oz Lean Ground Beef
1 1/2 Cups Rice
3 Rice Cakes (with honey and peanut butter)
2 Cups 1% Milk
Protein = 60 grams
Carbs = 50 grams
Fat = 7 grams
Total Calores = 780
Meal #7 (Just before bed)
8oz Cottage Cheese (Lowfat)
2 Tablespoons Flax Seed Oil
Protein = 24 grams
Carbs = 8 grams
Fat = 4 grams
Total Calories = 160
Note: For those who are hardgainers, minimize
cardio possibly even cutting it out of your routine.

tden99
08-03-2012, 03:08 PM
Well brag, you tried to save this, but it seems like wheres there is one troll many follow.

OP listen to braggable and don't follow the others. Your first step needs to be calculating TDEE and macros. There is a sticky at the top of this forum.

Kahldris
08-03-2012, 03:50 PM
OP, your individual food choices don't matter. What you need to do is figure out your cal and macro requirements and eat foods that you enjoy to meet them. Do not listen to morons like the guy I quoted below me.

Not only are you an idiot for recommending arbitrary percentages,
but you clearly cannot do simple math.
40% of 300 = 1200?
Don't ever post in here again. I will neg
you into red if you do.

This