PDA

View Full Version : Bro Science?

rickdangerous
08-02-2012, 01:08 AM
So my mom's a doctor and she's been telling me that the body can't absorb more then 50 grams of protein in a short amount of time, anyone else ever hear this?

zaman1991
08-02-2012, 01:32 AM
Horse piss, look at all the succsessful intermittent fasters out there,

Ghosting
08-02-2012, 01:42 AM
So my mom's a doctor and she's been telling me that the body can't absorb more then 50 grams of protein in a short amount of time, anyone else ever hear this?

She has a PhD :D

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/is-there-a-limit-to-how-much-protein-the-body-can-use-in-a-single-meal/

rickdangerous
08-02-2012, 07:56 AM
She has a PhD :D

She's a radiologist haha it's got nothin to do with nutrition but thanks for the article

vismal
08-02-2012, 08:01 AM
Well she isn't entirely wrong. Your body can only absorb a certain amount of protein per hour. The Broscience comes into play when they say "You just pee the rest out or it becomes fat." You just keep absorbing hour after hour. Ever eat something at 6pm go out boozing and throw up your 6pm meal at 3am? It's still there, it's still absorbing!

magic15
08-02-2012, 09:40 AM
op it doesn't make sense everyones body is different. Ronnie coleman can only absorb 50 grams at a time?

Gemuadrken
08-02-2012, 09:51 AM
Count them into your macros. It takes up to 48-72 hours to extract all available protein from tissue proteins (meat) after consuming it. You are fine.

From the other thread on page 1 of nutrition on the same topic.

RussWheeler
08-02-2012, 10:47 AM
Well she isn't entirely wrong. Your body can only absorb a certain amount of protein per hour. The Broscience comes into play when they say "You just pee the rest out or it becomes fat." You just keep absorbing hour after hour. Ever eat something at 6pm go out boozing and throw up your 6pm meal at 3am? It's still there, it's still absorbing!

Haha now that's using an example that everyone can relate to

tjwoody
08-02-2012, 11:29 AM

im starting to realize drs sometimes seem to be the last to know, but arent their tons of areas to focus on in the medical field? so id think a dr cant know everything. heck, its why i keep getting shuttled around to diff ones. XD

tden99
08-02-2012, 11:49 AM
im starting to realize drs sometimes seem to be the last to know, but arent their tons of areas to focus on in the medical field? so id think a dr cant know everything. heck, its why i keep getting shuttled around to diff ones. XD

I personally wish they required a nutrition course in the preclinical part of med school though (then again this would probably be ruled by broscience anyways)
My physio book last semester didn't directly attack broscience rituals but indirectly seemed to, by the mere facts it stated. Hoping thing are moving in the right direction

vismal
08-02-2012, 11:52 AM
Yeah, a nutrition class would do no good. My nutrition book from college might as well have been called broscience 101

Gemuadrken
08-02-2012, 12:17 PM
To be fair, if you listened to most of the brosceince nutritional advice you could have very fine results; as none of that crap really damages your diet.

However, if you know your stuff then you can have a diet that incorperates eating habits that are off limits to brosceintists. Eating before bed, eating "dirty" food, meal timing, meal frequency, etc...

And for some people that brosceince works just fine.

I still think we should correct them all; and idc if we are rude if people are strongly backing up their brosceince claims.

rickdangerous
08-04-2012, 01:05 PM

This makes a lota sense, thanks boss

rand18m
08-04-2012, 01:38 PM
You will absorb ~95-99% of the protein you ingest, regardless of the amount in the setting. Absorption rate is what changes with the increased quantity. There is some evidence that in a single bolus, MPS responds to an amount much lower than one person might take in, however that has nothing to do with whether or not it's actually absorbed and used for multiple purposes.

THElabCHIMP
08-04-2012, 01:47 PM
So my mom's a BRO and she's been telling me that the body can't absorb more then 50 grams of protein in a short amount of time, anyone else ever hear this?

fixed ;)