PDA

View Full Version : Grilled drumsticks?

RyanG415
07-31-2012, 06:24 PM
Wanting to change up what i eat. Pretty sick of chicken breasts over and over. Just wondering what you guys thought about grilled drumsticks? Would this be a better option rather than breast?

gb8719
07-31-2012, 06:34 PM
Drum sticks have a higher fat to protein ratio that chicken breast. I imagine it's the dark meat to light meat difference, but I've never looked into it. If you're overly concerned with your fat content than I'd stick with chicken breast. If not, than drum sticks and chicken thighs would be fair game.

If fat isn't too much of a concern of yours, also try ground turkey breast that is 93/7. It's really easy to cook it all at once and you can make a healthier chili with a little bit of tomato paste and a combination of your own seasoning of pepper, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, worcestershire sauce, etc.

sevd
07-31-2012, 08:30 PM
Wanting to change up what i eat. Pretty sick of chicken breasts over and over. Just wondering what you guys thought about grilled drumsticks? Would this be a better option rather than breast?
Drumsticks are higher in fat than breasts so on average a breast has 150 calories, 30g of protein, and 2g of fat, and a drumstick is about 120 calories, 15g of protein, and 5g of fat, so if you eat 2 drumstick you will get almost the same amount of protein as in one breast but five times the fat so if you don't have problems with fitting in fat into your macros and you are just looking for different protein source than drumsticks would work well for you.

RyanG415
08-01-2012, 07:26 AM
Thanks guys, i really didnt think drumsticks would be higher fat. Of course i get rid of the skin..lol..

But i actually like the taste of the drumsticks. I can actually enjoy eating eat. When i eat grilled chicken breast, i am already feeling like im gonna puke and i still have like 5 more pieces left..lol.

Since i am trying to cut down, it doesnt make sense to eat drumsticks over breasts. But i noticed as soon as i eat chicken breast i am hungry again in an hour. With drumsticks i feel full for until my next meal.

gb8719
08-01-2012, 07:29 AM
Thanks guys, i really didnt think drumsticks would be higher fat. Of course i get rid of the skin..lol..

But i actually like the taste of the drumsticks. I can actually enjoy eating eat. When i eat grilled chicken breast, i am already feeling like im gonna puke and i still have like 5 more pieces left..lol.

Since i am trying to cut down, it doesnt make sense to eat drumsticks over breasts. But i noticed as soon as i eat chicken breast i am hungry again in an hour. With drumsticks i feel full for until my next meal.

Might be from the extra calories in the fat. Possibly.

If you like the drum sticks than stick with the drum sticks. If you're on a cut and your macros need to be measured out perfectly then you can subtract the fat from another meal throughout the day.