PDA

View Full Version : So nobody mentions that Coach K cut Rondo from the US National Team?

Masstastic
07-31-2012, 02:38 PM
......yet he brought in Russell Westbrick.

My mind still can't comprehend why he was put over Rondo as far as the Olympics are concerned.

Rondo would be amazing in this style of basketball.

The whole part of him not being able to "shoot" was overexaggerated considering these teams are playing zone so much.

gswarrior510
07-31-2012, 02:39 PM
Westbrook has been the best defender and a complete game changer every time he comes on the floor.

JBhaverhill
07-31-2012, 02:41 PM
last time Ronjo was on the national team he quit and flew home by himself because he wasnt getting enough playing time.

Punks like that shouldn't be playing in the Olympics.

Coach K obviously doesn't respect him because of that, seriously doubt K will ever pick him for a national team in the future.

CobyWan
07-31-2012, 02:41 PM
The decision clearly wasn't about on court performance. It had to be about chemistry concerns. Even after the multitude of injuries he wasn't even brought in to take a look at.

gbkxbb
07-31-2012, 02:42 PM
Westbrook has been playing at the 2 spot...

No, I would not bring Rondo over CP3 and Dwill....

Masstastic
07-31-2012, 02:45 PM
Westbrook has been the best defender and a complete game changer every time he comes on the floor.

Because he's being used as a spark plug off the bench at the 2.

Rondo is a true PG who does just as much on the floor as he does, and people routinely overlook that he's one of the best athletes at the PG position just because he doesn't have the same explosiveness.

His freakish arm length at PG when they go to this zone, trapping defense would have been better.

RogerSterling
07-31-2012, 02:45 PM

My mind still can't comprehend why he was put over Rondo as far as the Olympics are concerned.

The whole part of him not being able to "shoot" was overexaggerated considering these teams are playing zone so much.

I thought Rondo opted out? Any from the limited time I've spent watching team USA it looks like westbrick has been playing at the two with cp3 or dwill running point

agreed rondo would be sick on team USA though

Masstastic
07-31-2012, 02:46 PM
last time Ronjo was on the national team he quit and flew home by himself because he wasnt getting enough playing time.

Punks like that shouldn't be playing in the Olympics.

Coach K obviously doesn't respect him because of that, seriously doubt K will ever pick him for a national team in the future.

- He didn't quit over PT. He was cut from the team by Coach K.

- This is Coach K's last Olympics and probably the last Olympics using NBA superstars.

gbkxbb
07-31-2012, 02:46 PM
I thought Rondo opted out? Any from the limited time I've spent watching team USA it looks like westbrick has been playing at the two with cp3 or dwill running point

This is true. And when it comes to 2 guards, there aren't many in the NBA who are any good, and Westbrook would actually make a great 2 guard. Harden made team USA because we are so thin at the 2.

RogerSterling
07-31-2012, 02:47 PM
This is true. And when it comes to 2 guards, there aren't many in the NBA who are any good, and Westbrook would actually make a great 2 guard. Harden made team USA because we are so thin at the 2.

ya westbrook fills the hole left by wade pretty well

JBhaverhill
07-31-2012, 02:48 PM

- This is Coach K's last Olympics and probably the last Olympics using NBA superstars.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/443999-rondo-leaves-team-usa-one-week-before-fiba-world-championship

article there and countless others say that rondo was losing playing time, and eventually benched by K. Then he left citing 'family issues' which everyone knows is a flimsy excuse.

Masstastic
07-31-2012, 02:49 PM

Nah, from all accounts he was cut by Coach K so he decided to withdraw first.

Westbrook is playing the backup 2, but Rondo could've played backup PG with Deron Williams at the 2 like he was at Illinois next to Dee Brown.

gbkxbb
07-31-2012, 02:50 PM
ya westbrook fills the hole left by wade pretty well

Even if Wade were healthy, I think Westbrook is a perfect fit for the team after Kobe....He's already on the same page as Wade, if not better...why not bring him along...Him and Durant will be running this team in 16 if they still allow NBA players.

BullStampede
07-31-2012, 02:56 PM
Even if Wade were healthy, I think Westbrook is a perfect fit for the team after Kobe....He's already on the same page as Wade, if not better...why not bring him along...Him and Durant will be running this team in 16 if they still allow NBA players.

stop.

Masstastic
07-31-2012, 02:58 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/443999-rondo-leaves-team-usa-one-week-before-fiba-world-championship
......and they left him off of the USA pre-lims for 2012 in favor of an injured Chauncey Billups.

You don't think that was planned?

The decision clearly wasn't about on court performance. It had to be about chemistry concerns. Even after the multitude of injuries he wasn't even brought in to take a look at.

You're probably right about Coach K thinking of a possible character risk there.

He also left off guys like Bynum & Josh Smith.

I think Rondo is more passionate than "immature", but I guess thats up to the coaches to decide.

Masstastic
07-31-2012, 03:00 PM

http://i.imgur.com/FEKXy.gif

jonnyshap
07-31-2012, 03:04 PM
Why can't there be nba player for '16? Thats like no pro soccer players for fifa

I OuTsiDeR I
07-31-2012, 03:14 PM

The whole part of him not being able to "shoot" was overexaggerated considering these teams are playing zone so much. Actually no, his skill set is not great for Olympic style basketball, his biggest weakness "shooting" is even needed more so in international play than in the NBA. They have CP3 and Dwill at point, Rondo playing at the 2 would be a waste. Much better options. Westbrook is really a 2 guard has been playing great in that position and defense athleticism has been amazing.

Because he's being used as a spark plug off the bench at the 2.

Rondo is a true PG who does just as much on the floor as he does, and people routinely overlook that he's one of the best athletes at the PG position just because he doesn't have the same explosiveness.

His freakish arm length at PG when they go to this zone, trapping defense would have been better. They play man 99% of the time, so having him for a zone trapping defense is a moot point. Westbrook can guard more positions than him, as a PG yes Rondo is a better option, but Westbrook is a 2 so you have no case. CP3 and Dwill is plenty enuff at point guard. Hell they can just put Lebron at point if they wanted to.

- This is Coach K's last Olympics and probably the last Olympics using NBA superstars. Again No, other poster had it right. He wasn't cut yet, but he knew he was going to get cut because their last game he didn't get much playing time. That to him meant that his fate was sealed, so instead of them telling him he was going to get cut he left. Its like quitting a job when you know your going to get fired, but you tell everyone that you quit.

His ego was too big to actually get cut.

by the way are you watching the game? Westbrook is playing like a beast. They made the right choice

Masstastic
07-31-2012, 03:37 PM
Actually no, his skill set is not great for Olympic style basketball, his biggest weakness "shooting" is even needed more so in international play than in the NBA. They have CP3 and Dwill at point, Rondo playing at the 2 would be a waste. Much better options. Westbrook is really a 2 guard has been playing great in that position and defense athleticism has been amazing.

Yet Rondo's "shooting" isn't as terrible as has been mentioned so frequently to define his game.

On this team he would not be asked to take pull-up jumpshots nor be forced into bad shots.

- Rondo would be at PG. Deron would be at SG off the bench, I know that Rondo can't be effective off the ball.

They play man 99% of the time, so having him for a zone trapping defense is a moot point. Westbrook can guard more positions than him, as a PG yes Rondo is a better option, but Westbrook is a 2 so you have no case. CP3 and Dwill is plenty enuff at point guard. Hell they can just put Lebron at point if they wanted to.
The entire pace of nearly each game has been them trapping as soon as any of their opponents try to slow the pace down by going to their big men. Coach K has been throwing nothing but amoeba defenses out there. The only time you see them playing strict man to man defense is as soon as they rotate to cover for screens.

Rondo can hypothetically guard all 3 perimeter positions with his wingspan.

Westbrook is best at defending PG's, and the only reason he looks somewhat functional defending SG's is because the average size for most of these National Teams SG's is much smaller than in the NBA.

Can Westbrook guard Ginobili? No. Watch & see when they meet up.

Manu's probably the only legitimate NBA SG in this competition and maybe Rudy Fernandez.

Again No, other poster had it right. He wasn't cut yet, but he knew he was going to get cut because their last game he didn't get much playing time. That to him meant that his fate was sealed, so instead of them telling him he was going to get cut he left. Its like quitting a job when you know your going to get fired, but you tell everyone that you quit.

His ego was too big to actually get cut.

by the way are you watching the game? Westbrook is playing like a beast. They made the right choice

I agree with that.

Thats probably the reason why Coach K left him off of the pre-lim roster but put an oft-injured, elderly Chauncey Billlups on there instead.

I'd be pissed too if I were a Top 5-7 PG and being passed over for Steph Curry.

whitetigerwoods
07-31-2012, 03:40 PM
He said he would rather enjoy his summer instead of playing for the Olympic team.

Rondo, who still would be young enough to play in the Games in 2016 or 2020, then was asked if he ever would have an interest in playing in the Olympics. No, I dont, he said. I just dont Wondering why? I love my summers. Ill leave it at that.

I OuTsiDeR I
07-31-2012, 04:19 PM
Yet Rondo's "shooting" isn't as terrible as has been mentioned so frequently to define his game.

On this team he would not be asked to take pull-up jumpshots nor be forced into bad shots.

- Rondo would be at PG. Deron would be at SG off the bench, I know that Rondo can't be effective off the ball.. Actually it is pretty bad, but I think its more psychological then anything. If someone is saggin off you any where between 6-10 ft daring you to shoot it and you miss, of course your confidence in your shooting ability will go down. If you miss 3 in a row its even worse. I agree that he wouldn't be put there to pull jump shots, however you still want your pg to have that ability to do it. You do not want your defender to have a green light to double down whenever they want or sag off you as much as you want.

His shot has only gotten SLIGHTLY better just this past year. In 2010 it was still bad.

The entire pace of nearly each game has been them trapping as soon as any of their opponents try to slow the pace down by going to their big men. Coach K has been throwing nothing but amoeba defenses out there. The only time you see them playing strict man to man defense is as soon as they rotate to cover for screens.

Rondo can hypothetically guard all 3 perimeter positions with his wingspan.

Westbrook is best at defending PG's, and the only reason he looks somewhat functional defending SG's is because the average size for most of these National Teams SG's is much smaller than in the NBA.

Can Westbrook guard Ginobili? No. Watch & see when they meet up.

Manu's probably the only legitimate NBA SG in this competition and maybe Rudy Fernandez.. I see what your saying about defense I think. From what I know there is no defensive 3 seconds in FIBA basketball so you can play that man zone defense without getting a penalty which plays into USA hands.

I just feel that with the pg's USA has already Rondo is not needed. Westbrook is the smarter pick because 2 guard is his natrual position, more athletic and explosive than almost everyone in the nba, brings energy. They chose players based off being versatile and being able to play multiple positions. At the very least 2 positions with the exception of CP3. Rondo can only play pg and like you said cannot play off the ball. He has to have the ball all the time to be successful which doesn't work on Team USA.

He did a decent job on Dwade so I'm not buying that he can only guard pg's. Yes internationally sg's might be smaller that just plays into Westbrooks hand even more.

I think 1 on 1 he can guard Ginobili pretty decently. Now you add in a screen and thats a different story. I don't think hardly anyone can play Ginobili/Parker type players when they use screens. That takes a team effort.

I agree with that.

Thats probably the reason why Coach K left him off of the pre-lim roster but put an oft-injured, elderly Chauncey Billlups on there instead.

I'd be pissed too if I were a Top 5-7 PG and being passed over for Steph Curry. Rondo's attitude has always been brought up about him. He can be pissed all he wants but he should let it drive him to be better. Find out why he wasn't chosen work on it and prove to them they made a mistake. Hes imature, and thats why the Celtic vets get irritated with him. He can't take criticism. Imagine if he got yelled at like chalmers, he would probably shoot somebody.

Future24
07-31-2012, 04:46 PM
20 years from now we'll refer to this as the same situation as Isiah in 92.

RoseBulls
07-31-2012, 04:54 PM
I agree with that.

I'd be pissed too if I were a Top 5-7 PG and being passed over for Steph Curry.

He quit before, and then before 2012 selection he'd said he doesn't want to play Olympics. He wasn't an option and Coach K didn't pick him, he chose to opt out so Coach K couldn't pick him even if he wanted to.

No one mentions it cause it never happened.

I OuTsiDeR I
07-31-2012, 04:58 PM
20 years from now we'll refer to this as the same situation as Isiah in 92. Far from it. Nobody even cares that Rondo isn't on the team besides his fans.

Isaiah never got the chance because Jordan never wanted him on the team. Rondo didn't make the team because he was gonna get cut.

MrAWatts
07-31-2012, 05:08 PM
OP is a phaggot

AGangsta
07-31-2012, 05:21 PM
because no one cares OP. the team is stacked and westbrook is playing great so why even bother

KevFranchiseHan
07-31-2012, 05:23 PM
what would rondo bring that cp doesn't?

westbrick brings the intensity and athleticism that other pgs lack. he also cant be westbrick if hes not getting any shots

whitetigerwoods
07-31-2012, 05:25 PM
for the record... Rondo > Westbrick

HayZues Christi
07-31-2012, 06:26 PM
Lol @ rondos game being good for olympics because the playing zone.

Do you even basketball??

Worst analysis ever.

Coack k cut rond because of rondos and rose rivalry btw.

GetBigyo
07-31-2012, 06:49 PM
How is the fact that Rondo has no offensive game and the fact most teams play zone, make him good for the style of play?

That makes no sense.

You want spacing against a zone.

Bowyermania
07-31-2012, 07:12 PM
There is no need for Rondo on this team. Deron Williams and Chris Paul are better point guards, and Lebron has pretty much been the team's best PG/facilitator so far in the Olympics. Thenwhan you factor in the obvious chemistry concerns which accompany Rondo, and he is really unnessecary.

fly4navy117
07-31-2012, 07:25 PM
Honestly, if there is any coach that is unquestionable, it's Coach K. Has won with college athletes and won with pros.

ShweezyBTFO
07-07-2013, 07:32 PM
I just won a picasso...in my casa....no, my castle.

YesWayNoWeigh
07-07-2013, 07:45 PM
I just won a picasso...in my casa....no, my castle.im actually listening to that album right now, nepped on recharge

sdballer5588
07-07-2013, 07:46 PM
Laughing all the way to the bank with these D Will comments rofl

SompletelyCober
07-07-2013, 08:12 PM
lmao everyone hates Rondo, Ray, Doc, Coach K

top 10 phaggot when every respectable person around him hates that little kunt

Real leader right there. He would be perfect to team with Bynum. Celtics pls sign Bynum to a long term deal so I can spend all season laughing

OutWorkedByNo1
07-07-2013, 09:13 PM
There is no need for Rondo on this team. Deron Williams and Chris Paul are better point guards, and Lebron has pretty much been the team's best PG/facilitator so far in the Olympics. Thenwhan you factor in the obvious chemistry concerns which accompany Rondo, and he is really unnessecary.

this.

Westbrook is the better player anyways,dont know why we should question the decision.

jross2021
07-07-2013, 09:13 PM
Uhm, maybe cuz Westgoat is brook