PDA

View Full Version : Depressed, No Appetite, but trying to eat healthy, have some questions, need advice

Gilla81
07-31-2012, 02:02 PM
Ok, so a quick little background, I'm 31 years old. My girlfriend of 4 years and I recently broke up a few months ago. So I've been pretty down and depressed the last few months which has made it really difficult for me to go to the gym. I haven't had much of an appetite, some days the first meal I eat isn't until 4 pm. I haven't counted, but I'm lucky if I'm eating 1000 calories. My meals have become very small and I only eat twice a day. On top of my bad diet, I have lacked the energy and motivation to even get in the gym. I made myself a few times, but my work out was not as intense. I went about a month and a half give or take a few weeks, only working out once or twice a week. Some weeks I would take entirely off.

My biggest issue is my appetite and diet. Unfortunately, I can't force myself to eat. When you have no appetite, it's really hard to eat food. I've been eating a healthy breakfast in the morning of eggs and wheat toast, then usually a protein shake with breakfast, or an hour or 2 later. I'll also eat some fruit, like a banana in the middle of the day. Some days when I do have an appetite, I'll eat a turkey or tuna sandwich on wheat bread, otherwise I usually just eat breakfast and small fruit snacks in the afternoon. Then I'll eat a normal dinner. So lunch is the meal I sometimes skip. Then at night, I'll have anothe protein shake, and maybe a bowl of corn flakes, or a rice cake with some peanut butter. That's pretty consistent during the week, on the weekends I will eat out from time to time. So I don't eat as healthy during the weekends. The majority of my protein comes from Muscle Pharm Combat Powder. I'd say 100 g a day, then however many I eat through food. I would guess probably around 50 g a day from foods like tuna, turkey, chicken, etc... I know this isn't ideal, but will I still see results? Is it better to get the protein from a shake then not at all? I can drink a protein shake anytime, even when I don't have an appetite, so that's why I ask.

I'm trying to make the best of what I can while I snap out of this funk I'm in and get my head back on straight. I feel like right now the best thing I can do that I can control is to focus on my job and getting in shape. I know this isn't the ideal diet plan, but how does it sound to you guys? Any suggestions? Adjustments I should try? How to stay motivated?

My goal is to at least do this for the next 2 months or so, by then I should be close to moving out, and feeling like myself again. At which time I will turn it up a notch and hopefully by then have my appetite back again so I can eat better. This isn't a life long plan, just what I'm thinking to help get me through this rough patch.

What do you guys and gals think?

Thanks in advance for your advice and suggestions. Have a great day!

TommyHiggs
07-31-2012, 02:16 PM
I would deff encourage you to continue the protein shake intake considering your appetite problems. Any calorie consumption is better than no consumption. From what I've read and understood, protein shakes are absorbed exceptionally well and are generally a good protein source (and calorie source in your situation).

Depression and diet are deff linked and I wish you the best with both. Nothing wrong with consulting a shrink if your issues continue.

Mental Health >>>

Gilla81
07-31-2012, 02:28 PM
I would deff encourage you to continue the protein shake intake considering your appetite problems. Any calorie consumption is better than no consumption. From what I've read and understood, protein shakes are absorbed exceptionally well and are generally a good protein source (and calorie source in your situation).

Depression and diet are deff linked and I wish you the best with both. Nothing wrong with consulting a shrink if your issues continue.

Mental Health >>>

Thanks Tommy! I actually got laid off in February, then we broke up like 2 months later. It was rough man, one thing after another. Since I didn't have a job, I didn't have insurance so I wasn't able to go seek help from a shrink, cause I'm not paying out of pocket. That was the worst of it, at least so far; and I survived so I should be getting things back on track. I'm worried about when we actually move out though, I feel like the first week or 2 of not being able to see or speak to her will be tough. Plus, just getting use to a new place. Hopefully, I get through that all quickly. The only good thing is that I have lost weight, but I'm sure it's not just fat. I'm down to like 178 now. Always gotta look on the bright side, right? :-)

tden99
07-31-2012, 02:47 PM
yea its better than nothing. Maybe just invest in more calorically dense foods for the time beings. Like put peanut butter or nutella on the toast. And get some cheap ice cream you like. Eating below 2000 is rough for an individual your size

paulscott1
07-31-2012, 03:02 PM
Considering everything your going through I think your doing well. My advice to you is eat what you can when you can. You can adjust your diet later when your back to yourself but carry on with the shakes for now. There have been times in the past when i couldnt face the gym. When that happens in life the best thing to do is go back to the beginning. What is it thats first inspired you to train? This is what I do. Hope this helps, keep your head up

tjwoody
07-31-2012, 03:35 PM
being down and depressed sux dude. same thing is happening to me. my nana passed away this past weekend so im struggling.

what im doing is just putting food in front of me and eating. if i need a couple shakes i do it. maybe for u can have a nice large glass of milk with extra PB, jelly and some fluff on some nice bread. I would think this could hit about 700 cals with a nice amount of PB!

good luck man, it sux but do what u can.

Joe106
07-31-2012, 11:05 PM
Hey man I know what you're goin through, I'm on the same boat. I can't help you with the appetite part cuz im having trouble with that too but I can try to help you on getting better workouts.

You just have to take all the anger, sadness, and any emotions you have, and then once they build up to their max and you're heart can't take it anymore you just have to let the beast in you free and just completely destroy the gym. Just take all your emotion and try to use it to give yourself power. It's what has worked with me. You kind of have to reopen your wounds to get yourself pissed before a workout but it has worked with me, and all of the best workouts of my life, and new personal records were done with a broken heart.

One of my favorite quotes is "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man" because its very true.

I wish you the best of luck man, the sting of a broken heart will fade away with time

JTonna008
07-31-2012, 11:51 PM
Hey man I know what you're goin through, I'm on the same boat. I can't help you with the appetite part cuz im having trouble with that too but I can try to help you on getting better workouts.

You just have to take all the anger, sadness, and any emotions you have, and then once they build up to their max and you're heart can't take it anymore you just have to let the beast in you free and just completely destroy the gym. Just take all your emotion and try to use it to give yourself power. It's what has worked with me. You kind of have to reopen your wounds to get yourself pissed before a workout but it has worked with me, and all of the best workouts of my life, and new personal records were done with a broken heart.

One of my favorite quotes is "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man" because its very true.

I wish you the best of luck man, the sting of a broken heart will fade away with time

^ This!!

Gilla81
08-02-2012, 02:12 PM
being down and depressed sux dude. same thing is happening to me. my nana passed away this past weekend so im struggling.

what im doing is just putting food in front of me and eating. if i need a couple shakes i do it. maybe for u can have a nice large glass of milk with extra PB, jelly and some fluff on some nice bread. I would think this could hit about 700 cals with a nice amount of PB!

good luck man, it sux but do what u can.

Thanks man! I'm sorry to hear about your Nanna, my sympathies go out to you and your family.

Gilla81
08-02-2012, 02:15 PM
Considering everything your going through I think your doing well. My advice to you is eat what you can when you can. You can adjust your diet later when your back to yourself but carry on with the shakes for now. There have been times in the past when i couldnt face the gym. When that happens in life the best thing to do is go back to the beginning. What is it thats first inspired you to train? This is what I do. Hope this helps, keep your head up

Thanks for the advice! That's actually kinda what I've started doing. In the beginning researching work outs, nutrition, etc... got me motivated to go to the gym. I've started back from square one and have slowly been working my way back up to spending more time in the gym. I've also been using the break up as motivation. Nothing beats seeing your ex several months down the road when you are in much better shape and life is great.

Gilla81
08-02-2012, 02:16 PM

I've never thought about it like this. I'll have to give your method a try. Thanks for the suggestion!

Joe106
08-02-2012, 02:59 PM
I've never thought about it like this. I'll have to give your method a try. Thanks for the suggestion!

No problem! Let me know how it works out for you!

blackops1
08-04-2012, 02:14 AM
Thanks for the advice! That's actually kinda what I've started doing. In the beginning researching work outs, nutrition, etc... got me motivated to go to the gym. I've started back from square one and have slowly been working my way back up to spending more time in the gym. I've also been using the break up as motivation. Nothing beats seeing your ex several months down the road when you are in much better shape and life is great.

Yup, Living well is the best revenge, imagine yourself looking shredded and getting out of your new beemer w/hottie new girlfriend in tow and the ex-gfriend just happens to be there...at the mall :)

astuzia007
08-04-2012, 04:38 AM
Buy a cheap blender. Throw in milk, ice-cream, protein powder, oats and whatever else you fancy. Easy calories.

GyminRoad1
08-04-2012, 04:42 AM
Ok, so a quick little background, I'm 31 years old. My girlfriend of 4 years and I recently broke up a few months ago. So I've been pretty down and depressed the last few months which has made it really difficult for me to go to the gym. I haven't had much of an appetite, some days the first meal I eat isn't until 4 pm. I haven't counted, but I'm lucky if I'm eating 1000 calories. My meals have become very small and I only eat twice a day. On top of my bad diet, I have lacked the energy and motivation to even get in the gym. I made myself a few times, but my work out was not as intense. I went about a month and a half give or take a few weeks, only working out once or twice a week. Some weeks I would take entirely off.

My biggest issue is my appetite and diet. Unfortunately, I can't force myself to eat. When you have no appetite, it's really hard to eat food. I've been eating a healthy breakfast in the morning of eggs and wheat toast, then usually a protein shake with breakfast, or an hour or 2 later. I'll also eat some fruit, like a banana in the middle of the day. Some days when I do have an appetite, I'll eat a turkey or tuna sandwich on wheat bread, otherwise I usually just eat breakfast and small fruit snacks in the afternoon. Then I'll eat a normal dinner. So lunch is the meal I sometimes skip. Then at night, I'll have anothe protein shake, and maybe a bowl of corn flakes, or a rice cake with some peanut butter. That's pretty consistent during the week, on the weekends I will eat out from time to time. So I don't eat as healthy during the weekends. The majority of my protein comes from Muscle Pharm Combat Powder. I'd say 100 g a day, then however many I eat through food. I would guess probably around 50 g a day from foods like tuna, turkey, chicken, etc... I know this isn't ideal, but will I still see results? Is it better to get the protein from a shake then not at all? I can drink a protein shake anytime, even when I don't have an appetite, so that's why I ask.

I'm trying to make the best of what I can while I snap out of this funk I'm in and get my head back on straight. I feel like right now the best thing I can do that I can control is to focus on my job and getting in shape. I know this isn't the ideal diet plan, but how does it sound to you guys? Any suggestions? Adjustments I should try? How to stay motivated?

My goal is to at least do this for the next 2 months or so, by then I should be close to moving out, and feeling like myself again. At which time I will turn it up a notch and hopefully by then have my appetite back again so I can eat better. This isn't a life long plan, just what I'm thinking to help get me through this rough patch.

What do you guys and gals think?

Thanks in advance for your advice and suggestions. Have a great day!

Srs bro time heals everything. When I brOke up with my first srs relationship I thought life had ended. What was. Ext was the best 12mths!! SIngle free and I could do what the fk I wanted to do. Train hard Eat lots and grow. Best times are ahead trust me

Gilla81
08-06-2012, 01:11 PM
Srs bro time heals everything. When I brOke up with my first srs relationship I thought life had ended. What was. Ext was the best 12mths!! SIngle free and I could do what the fk I wanted to do. Train hard Eat lots and grow. Best times are ahead trust me

Thanks man, I know best times are still to come. I'm just trying to weather this storm so to speak, and stay busy while doing so.

Gilla81
08-06-2012, 01:13 PM
Buy a cheap blender. Throw in milk, ice-cream, protein powder, oats and whatever else you fancy. Easy calories.

This is actually a really good idea. I've never really thought about mixing oats with a protein shake. What other kinds of shakes or things do you mix with a blender? Should I be more concerned about eating enough calories, or more focused on how much fat and sugar? I'm trying to add muscle and lose what fat I can. I realize the two goals contradict each other somewhat, but you get my point. I'm not trying to lose a ton of weight, just shed off some fat while adding muscle. Thanks!

GrokTheCube
08-06-2012, 01:51 PM
As someone that's struggled with depression at various times in my life, I know that feel. If you have a job now, it might be worth chatting with a therapist or social worker. I'm a big fan of CBT making positive changes in your life.

Sometimes things can become a downward spiral, but they can become an upward spiral too. As your diet gets better and you get into the gym more it will boost your mood and your appetite which will make it easier for you to eat and get into the gym which will....

Gilla81
08-07-2012, 08:41 AM
As someone that's struggled with depression at various times in my life, I know that feel. If you have a job now, it might be worth chatting with a therapist or social worker. I'm a big fan of CBT making positive changes in your life.

Sometimes things can become a downward spiral, but they can become an upward spiral too. As your diet gets better and you get into the gym more it will boost your mood and your appetite which will make it easier for you to eat and get into the gym which will....

Thanks man, it's nice to know others have been in my shoes. What does "CBT" stand for?

Tristan95
08-07-2012, 08:47 AM
Try and go out for long walks in the sun, 3-4 miles, take some food and a protein shake or two, just take some time to chill out.

Try to get back to the gym and work out some of the stress.

Eat a **** ton of fruit and veg.

It takes time to get out the slump, but if you just change small things, even if they seem trivial it all adds up

Gilla81
08-07-2012, 01:14 PM
Try and go out for long walks in the sun, 3-4 miles, take some food and a protein shake or two, just take some time to chill out.

Try to get back to the gym and work out some of the stress.

Eat a **** ton of fruit and veg.

It takes time to get out the slump, but if you just change small things, even if they seem trivial it all adds up

Dude, I live in FL so taking a walk in the sun wont be hard to do. I try to be out in the sun as much as possible, but it can be incredibly hot and humid this time of year. Still it's good to get out in the fresh air for a bit. My appetite was a big issue but it's been slowly coming back. When we first broke up and I was really depressed I would eat like 1 meal or maybe 2 small meals all day. I tried to go to the gym a few times, but reallized very quickly that my body didn't have the energy to work out becuase I didn't eat much that day. The gym definitely keeps my mind busy, and the idea of improving myself and my physical appearance is a win win for me. Nothing wrong with being a little healthier, and as Blackops1 put it, seeing the ex down the road while I'm shredded is a pretty motivating revenge.

Tristan95
08-07-2012, 01:22 PM
Dude, I live in FL so taking a walk in the sun wont be hard to do. I try to be out in the sun as much as possible, but it can be incredibly hot and humid this time of year. Still it's good to get out in the fresh air for a bit. My appetite was a big issue but it's been slowly coming back. When we first broke up and I was really depressed I would eat like 1 meal or maybe 2 small meals all day. I tried to go to the gym a few times, but reallized very quickly that my body didn't have the energy to work out becuase I didn't eat much that day. The gym definitely keeps my mind busy, and the idea of improving myself and my physical appearance is a win win for me. Nothing wrong with being a little healthier, and as Blackops1 put it, seeing the ex down the road while I'm shredded is a pretty motivating revenge.

Well its good you've got the motivation coming back, it really is a key player in the mend.

Like I said it really is the small things, changing the smallest part in your routine can spark a change in you, you just have to find the spark which kicks you into action.

Absolute crap how deppression in men is not taken to seriously, can **** up your entire life. But at least your a fighter, soon enough you'll be better than you ever were

GrokTheCube
08-07-2012, 01:27 PM
Thanks man, it's nice to know others have been in my shoes. What does "CBT" stand for?Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. Its primary focus is on modifying negative patterns in thought and behavior. Basically "re-learning" certain things that your brain learned incorrectly that are causing or contributing to your psychological issues, and/or coping techniques so that you better deal with adverse events that tend to create excessive distress.

Gilla81
08-07-2012, 03:15 PM
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. Its primary focus is on modifying negative patterns in thought and behavior. Basically "re-learning" certain things that your brain learned incorrectly that are causing or contributing to your psychological issues, and/or coping techniques so that you better deal with adverse events that tend to create excessive distress.

Their are definitely some things about myself I would like to "re-learn". Do you have any links to more info on how to do it? A negative thought can cause me to over analyze things, which effects my behavior and mood. It's a bit of a snowball effect. So any suggested reading or exercises you may have to practice would be awesome. Thanks!