PDA

View Full Version : Dirty bulk

Kumquatv1
02-14-2007, 01:32 PM
I was reading and all the people talk about a clean bulk vs a dirty bulk. My question is why would you honestly dirty bulk? Is there truly a point to it since dirty bulking is just gaining fat. I guess I don't see it and need to be enlightened.

bbdude1988
02-14-2007, 01:43 PM
Dirty bulk is for people who are too lazy to clean bulk. I am with you, I don't see why anyone would do it. I am clean bulking right now, and yes, it is difficult- I have to plan ahead for every meal and I have to eat even when I am not hungry- but it has only been two and a half weeks since I started and I already see results. Plus, I feel geed because I am eating good, wholesome foods.

Honestly, I don't know why someone would dirty bulk

xec
02-14-2007, 01:43 PM
Some people with REALLY fast metabolism (like me) can dirty bulk and eat fast food - not gain a pound of fat.

Luski16
02-14-2007, 01:53 PM
Some people with REALLY fast metabolism (like me) can dirty bulk and eat fast food - not gain a pound of fat.

yeah you do that, i'll stick to clean foods...i'd rather not risk health related diseases due to putting $hit into my body constantly...plus i'll save money, i guess it's a win-win situation for me

bbdude1988
02-14-2007, 01:54 PM
yeah you do that, i'll stick to clean foods...i'd rather not risk health related diseases due to putting $hit into my body constantly...plus i'll save money, i guess it's a win-win situation for me

Amen

Death From Above
02-14-2007, 02:05 PM
its a lot easier to eat whatever whenever, and also when youre just consuming mass amounts of everything you know for a fact youre going to be excess of calories, as opposed to shooting for around 500 extra but what if you did an extra 5 mins of cardio or lifted differently, i dunno if you see my train of thought but its easier to just no questions asked eat everything then plan and count to make sure youre within a limit.

IraHays
02-14-2007, 02:11 PM
"Dirty" bulk is an easy way to get enough calories. Instead of worrying about eating 95 skinless chicken breast a day, you can eat high calorie foods.

And if you only plan on "dirty bulking" for a few months, you shouldn't have any long term health problems.

FreddyC
02-14-2007, 03:51 PM
I'm trying a dirty bulk for the first time right now. Been on it for almost 3 weeks. I've put on a little bit of fat (compared to what I thought I'd put on), I'm only using my stomach area to judge since that's where all my fat seems to go.

I've gained about 3-5 pounds in this time, most will be fat, but I know some are muscle since I can see the difference on my arms.

h@rdc0re
02-14-2007, 04:01 PM
Dirty bulks are pointless ... They dont provide your body with the proper nutrients you need to gain muscle, why would someone want to put crap into their body and expect to get positive gains.

cheece2001
02-14-2007, 04:41 PM
some people dirty bulk because they can eat w.e and not gain any fat so they can go ahead and eat all the KFC and all that stuff. its mostly the ectos. and other reason is that its cheaper to dirty bulk than to clean bulk. Those are some reasons why.... well the ones that just poped in my head.

matthor
02-14-2007, 04:45 PM
if you had to be eating ~4000kcal a day or more to maintain let alone grow - good luck sourcing every calorie froma 'clean' source. the bloat and the cost would be horrible so damn right i'd be eating dirty

robby67
02-14-2007, 05:03 PM
i just completed a somewhat dirty bulk went from 139 wit 5%bf to 170 wit 15% bf in about 6 mon not bad everyone tells me i look better then before, guess im an ecto though.....BTW i ate around 7500+ cals a day and gained usually no more than 1.5 lbs per week

Kumquatv1
02-14-2007, 05:05 PM
I eat a cracker and gain 5 pounds :(

robby67
02-14-2007, 05:08 PM
I eat a cracker and gain 5 pounds :(

yea i guess i am kinda blessed in a way

matthor
02-14-2007, 05:10 PM
i just completed a somewhat dirty bulk went from 139 wit 5%bf to 170 wit 15% bf in about 6 mon not bad everyone tells me i look better then before, guess im an ecto though.....BTW i ate around 7500+ cals a day and gained usually no more than 1.5 lbs per week

can people try to imagine for a second eating 7500+ cals eating oats and chicken breast and tuna and veges?!?!?!?! Eating a super clean 3500kcal is a struggle... im sure some read the above posters calorie requirement and are envious cos of all the food they could eat - but 7500 is a sh!tload of food and hassle!!

sportyhp
not that i bulk on an intense level, but even if you did do it cleanly is it still THAT difficult? you could eat really calorie dense foods, like lotsa dried fruits, natural peanut butter, oils w/ your salads, stuff high in carbs, full fat yogurt and cottage cheese, so on.......i totally understand that stuff like chicken and veggies are still low in cals but couldnt u still add on healthy stuff thatll up the cals?

robby67
Dirty bulks are pointless ... They dont provide your body with the proper nutrients you need to gain muscle, why would someone want to put crap into their body and expect to get positive gains.

really not the proper nutrients???hmm guess that means pizza that i make myself with WW crust and homemade sauce and just eat however much i want instead of measuring or in fact just going to dominoes then i wont get carbs protein or fats from this magic pizza....guess that means no cals either right??

matthor
02-14-2007, 05:15 PM
not that i bulk on an intense level, but even if you did do it cleanly is it still THAT difficult? you could eat really calorie dense foods, like lotsa dried fruits, natural peanut butter, oils w/ your salads, stuff high in carbs, full fat yogurt and cottage cheese, so on.......i totally understand that stuff like chicken and veggies are still low in cals but couldnt u still add on healthy stuff thatll up the cals?

i suppose with a good deal of calories derived from fats it wouldnt be soo bad - but i remember some carbload days where eating 3500kcals was a nightmare!! the first 2 meal were awesome, then it was just painful

fates_child03
02-14-2007, 05:22 PM
Yeah I was clean bulking before putting down ~ 4000 calories a day and there were alot of days it was miserable trying to get that much food down in one day lol. I was eating like every 1.5 hours plus putting down alot of nuts/ nut butters to help. Now I'm clean bulking at about 3200-3500 which seems alot more manageable than the 4k clean calories a day.

FreddyC
02-14-2007, 05:50 PM
I believe that unless you are naturally fat, you should try dirty bulk once after you've successfully lost weight, given that it doesn't mean you'll slip into an unhealthy diet for a long time.

I mean it tests how your body works, and I've seen people who do dirty bulk and look great when they cut.

Maybe I'm saying this cause I don't I eat a cracker and gain 5 pounds, but still I'd rather have tried it and know it was a mistake rather than never trying it and saying it's a mistake, it's not like taking heroin!

SilverSpork
02-14-2007, 06:10 PM
When I bulk I don't count calories or plan my meals out, I don't have the time nor the inclination. I just eat a TON of good clean food, for the most part. No sweets, pop, or fast food (food which is complete ****). I do eat things like hamburger helper with a pound of ground chuck a few times weekly, I love that ****.

Basically I eat whenever I feel hungy, which is about every 2 hours.

Yesterday I ate:

shake:2%milk, whey, oats milk, bananna

hamburger-whole wheat bun, cheddar, ground chuck

some almonds

peanut butter sandwhich on whole wheat, carrots , applesauce

two hamburgers, same as above, milk

package of rice, a boneless skinless chicken breast, carrots

some cheezits

another shake before bed, minus the oats

and I drink lotsa water

hypnotikk
02-14-2007, 08:02 PM
I'll throw in a dirty meal here and there about 2 times a week, usually McD's or pizza, but I eat clean for the most part, although it's tough, I might throw in a dirty meal if I know I won't get my calories in for the day. But my g/f gets pissed at me if I eat junk. She would rather cook me a steak everyday she says

Vadim Beliaev
02-14-2007, 08:44 PM
You misunderstand the definition of clean and dirty bulking. Clean bulking just means controlled addition of calories not WAY higher than your maintenance. (say your maintenance is 3.5k, on a clean bulk you would consume 4.0-4.2k cals). Since such exact manipulation requires weighing ingredients and usually preparing the meals yourself - stuff like pizza and KFC is usually out of question. (after all how can you be sure how many calories, protein, fat and carbs is in a large Pizza hut super supreme? You just dont know). While dirty bulking just involves stuffing yourself with food, you do know its over the maintenance, but you dont really know how much. It could be 1k over, or it could be 3k, fact is that you eat more than you require - hence you grow.
Therefore, even dirty bulking can be somewhat healthy and not involving "junk food". A lot of self prepared red meat, peanut butter, milk, eggs (with yolk), can just as well be a part of a dirty as of a clean bulk.

IraHays
02-15-2007, 05:50 AM
Vadim,

I'm curious what a 5'8 250lb ripped bodybuilder eats in his bulking phase?