PDA

View Full Version : A diet for gaining pure strength?

zguesmia
07-26-2012, 05:29 PM
I want the most strength possible with the least mass possible. It sounds dumb until the fact you know I play football(soccer). I play as a center forward and agility and acceleration are 2 of my main traits which make me good. Bulking up takes that away, so I want to gain strength but with less mass.

Can anyone help me with this? Thank you.
PS cutting is NOT a problem, my body fat is very low (9%)

jnycs
07-26-2012, 06:09 PM
To get stronger, you eat more.
Simple as that.

Read the stickies to guide you.

n0useforaname
07-26-2012, 06:42 PM
I'll say good luck man.. I've been playing sports/jogging for YEARS... anytime I gain muscle (body weight) I slow down and tire easier.. My best advice would be to eat at a 100-200 calorie surplus and lift/exercise hard. That should yield mostly muscle and hardly any fat.

LiteratureIsKey
07-26-2012, 06:43 PM
Nutrition is important. However, to do what you are asking, it requires more on the training end. To improve strength without increasing lean mass, it would actually be more important to train your nervous system, than to determine what meals you need to eat. More motor recruitment = higher muscle force production. Faster motor recruitment = greater power, which is probably more applicable to your sport. A lot of this lies in training your energy systems, and prevention of overtraining. If you want to compete or train at optimal conditions, you need to have proper rest periods and sleep. If not, your autonomic nervous system will be adversely affected, and this will affect your performance. There is various literature on this topic. If you want me to post the literature so you can read it, I will do so at your request.

On a side note, there are various ways to test for fatigue. This can be done by checking your nocturnal heart rate variability, nocturnal heart rate (less accurate because it does not give specific readings on the autonomic nervous system like the first choice I selected, but more practical), the tap test (I think there are numerous apps on this, but I'm not absolutely sure and am unfamiliar with the method) and probably various other methods. Autonomic nervous system readings are useful in any training group because it is a way of individualizing workouts and preventing overtraining/monitoring recovery (effectively reducing one of the variables that prevent progression or cause retrogression/regression).

Anywho, the reason for monitoring the ANS with heart rate variability is because you can tell what your LF:HF ratio is, and if parasympathetic drives are higher, these readings denote recovery. I want to be brief in this area because I do not remember all of the specifics from the literature I have looked at.

Also to note, after all of this, I guess nutrition is vital, but only to the extent that you retain energy balance over a period of time. Being under your daily need can cause overtraining and fatigue also.

InFlames1990
07-26-2012, 07:14 PM
lulz i recently just gave up on my soccer ambitions.

But to maximise your strength gains you should eat over maintenance.
but its not necessary
you could eat at maintenance aswell, what ever you wanna do.

Edit: You're fukin skinny man, most footballers are atleast 155-165 eat the fuk up or you'll be tossed around like a fairy!
Get off that auschwitz diet and bulk at least 10pounds bro, it'll do you good, just use the Starting Strength program and you should see some good noob gains mass and more importantly strength wise!

LiteratureIsKey
07-26-2012, 07:25 PM

but its not necessary

Edit: You're fukin skinny man, most footballers are atleast 155-165 eat the fuk up or you'll be tossed around like a fairy!
Get off that auschwitz diet and bulk at least 10pounds bro, it'll do you good, just use the Starting Strength program and you should see some good noob gains mass and more importantly strength wise!

Eating over maintainence could cause muscle mass growth, but also fat mass increase. This depends on your stimulus for muscle building (if any) and your physiological processes (again, affected by stimulus)

zguesmia
07-26-2012, 08:37 PM

but its not necessary

Sounds good man. I am not very weak but i do get sometimes get pushed off the ball precisely because i am very light.

Thank you alot for the replies; if there was a sticky sorry i did not see it. I will go check it out.

jdogg72
07-29-2012, 12:58 AM
Get all dem calories from chicken breast and protein shakes. Fukk veggies

Not srs