PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about starting to play WoW

iTakeEm
07-23-2012, 06:30 AM
Is it worth playing on retail server, or do you guys recommend private servers?

Also are my computer specs good enough for the game to properly run?

processor 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB
Serial Number W8940FVF66D
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 (11D50b)

Shoesfly
07-23-2012, 07:04 AM
Why would you play the largest MMO ever made, with a multimillion playerbase on a private server? O.o

Makes no sense. I could understand if you had played the game for years already, were tired of the game and just wanted to play on a tournament server that had a previous patch or something, but if you are just starting then you obviously want to play on the Blizzard servers. It's not a single player game brah.

IQover100
07-23-2012, 07:05 AM
private servers destroy every single thing that is fun about wow, its like playing a totally different game

your specs are fine

iTakeEm
07-23-2012, 07:12 AM
The screen is only 13" is that still ok?

dryst
07-23-2012, 07:16 AM
Why would you play the largest MMO ever made, with a multimillion playerbase on a private server? O.o

Makes no sense. I could understand if you had played the game for years already, were tired of the game and just wanted to play on a tournament server that had a previous patch or something, but if you are just starting then you obviously want to play on the Blizzard servers. It's not a single player game brah.

they had a molten core private server that was pretty ****in epic, alot better than the actual game after wotlk...huge active player base on that server i believe misc even had a guild on there

also why dont u wait for gw2 being released in about a month?

iTakeEm
07-23-2012, 07:35 AM
Because I am looking for a game which includes levelling and grinding for a gear, does gw include that?

Prerequisite
07-23-2012, 07:40 AM
The screen is only 13" is that still ok?

That's fine.

If you're jut starting the game, I'd recommend playing retail for awhile. Youll gain some actual experience with the game. Then, you can head to a private server if you no longer want to pay.

I play on a private server from time to time, but I played back in vanilla wow & TBC.

IQover100
07-23-2012, 07:42 AM
Because I am looking for a game which includes levelling and grinding for a gear, does gw include that?

the only real pve rewards in gw2 endgame are cosmetic upgrades, rather than having any actual gear progression.. its all pvp

if you want a pve gear grind then yea stick with wow

dryst
07-23-2012, 07:47 AM

yes, and no month subscription...gw1 was WoW primary competition back in the day, and gw2 looks ****in insane

Prerequisite
07-23-2012, 07:53 AM

That's WoW in a nutshell. Sounds like you'd want the PvE aspect more so than PvP.

I'd say WoW is PvE/PvP focused, while GW2 is PvP focused.

iTakeEm
07-23-2012, 08:17 AM
its not just about pvp/pve i mean I prefer a game which allows you to progress and compete against others, for example, where you have to collect money kill raids and other monsters to lvl up and buy gear. I want something similar to Lineage2

Prerequisite
07-23-2012, 08:28 AM
its not just about pvp/pve i mean I prefer a game which allows you to progress and compete against others, for example, where you have to collect money kill raids and other monsters to lvl up and buy gear. I want something similar to Lineage2

WoW let's you do that. While you're leveling through grinding/quests/dungeons, you can play battlegrounds at any level in the process (I think past level 10?). When you're 85, you can PUG (pickup group) or join a guild in order to do raids/dungeons to get more gear. Also at 85, you can do Arenas where you + 1-4 people can team up against another team and compete in a death match in which you get gear there as well.

Never played Lineage 2, so can't compare.

iTakeEm
07-23-2012, 08:40 AM
also which version should I install there are 3 of them as follows:
World of warcraft
World of warcraft: the burning crusade
World of warcraft: Wrath of the lich king

GhettoHustler69
07-23-2012, 08:54 AM
also which version should I install there are 3 of them as follows:
World of warcraft
World of warcraft: the burning crusade
World of warcraft: Wrath of the lich king

If you want the current content you install all 3 and the cataclysm expansion that the game is currently on.

ENSLAVER
07-23-2012, 09:00 AM
Play on a 1000% exp/find server. That way instead of wasting 5 years you will only waste 6 months.

BullStampede
07-23-2012, 09:01 AM
dont do it OP. live your life.

iTakeEm
07-23-2012, 09:06 AM
i am planning to only play during summer as i have some free time

IQover100
07-23-2012, 09:17 AM
dont do it OP. live your life.

because youre not living while playing video games, herp derp

iTakeEm
07-23-2012, 09:20 AM
also my macbook seems to heat up a lot at times any solutions?

BullStampede
07-23-2012, 09:28 AM
because youre not living while playing WoW, herp derp

fixed.

bill257
07-23-2012, 09:43 AM
Game is dying and getting more terrible every expansion. Don't board a sinking ship. And in general at 18 you should have more important things to be doing than wasting time in a MMO.

Prerequisite
07-23-2012, 10:14 AM
And in general at 18 you should have more important things to be doing than wasting time in a MMO.

True. Didn't notice the age. Could still balance if he wanted to though...like at night or something if he doesn't have class (summer). Just like any other game, it's about balance.

NewYear7
07-23-2012, 03:11 PM
I still think they are gonna bring it back with MOP

Zvengeance
07-23-2012, 04:58 PM
I still think they are gonna bring it back with MOP

they always do. it just depends how long people will stick to mop.

Vawx
07-23-2012, 07:14 PM
Game is dying and getting more terrible every expansion. Don't board a sinking ship. And in general at 18 you should have more important things to be doing than wasting time in a MMO.

This. A few years ago I would have given you serious advice, but it is just SO BAD now and it's not even an exaggeration. The game was a solid 9/10, and now it's about a 5. There's a reason the game has lost subscribers by the millions.

Zvengeance
07-23-2012, 08:26 PM
This. A few years ago I would have given you serious advice, but it is just SO BAD now and it's not even an exaggeration. The game was a solid 9/10, and now it's about a 5. There's a reason the game has lost subscribers by the millions.

a lot of them will come back for MOP.

eeggie
07-23-2012, 08:38 PM
Almost the exact same specs as my Macbook. Game is definitely playable at fairly low video settings but you might get some lag.

also my macbook seems to heat up a lot at times any solutions?

I recommend getting smcFanControl, it's a menubar app that allows you to monitor your laptop's temperature and adjust the fan speed if it gets too hot.

MoeGainz
07-23-2012, 08:40 PM
wait and buy GW 2(guild wars 2...)

Prerequisite
07-24-2012, 08:48 AM

I mean, with all games, there's change. Would you attribute a good portion of losing subscribers to people being burned out/simply growing out of the game? I played vanilla and then quit after TBC (right before WoTLK) came out due to life and not having time to invest in a game. I came back now because I graduated from college, have a full time job, and have some extra time on my hands (outside of friends/working out) to play the game.

IQover100
07-24-2012, 10:17 AM

There was a natural drop-off associated with the end of any expansion. The subscriber rate is remaining steady at 10.2 million, down from their peak of 12 million 2 years ago.

On top of this, Cataclysm was undoubtedly the worst expansion to date. Most of their time went into re-working azeroth, as opposed to creating endgame content. MoP is going to be the best expansion for a long time, and i have no doubt subscribers will soar to an all time high during it. From the beta, MoP feels like it's going to be better than wotlk and will easily be up there with BC.

The main issue i have with wow right now is the change in the general attitude of people. Honestly, the game has improved in almost every facet since vanilla. The only thing thats gotten worse is the community itself, but you will notice this is happening in EVERY game, and even in online communities outside of gaming. The new generation of kids using the internet are ignorant, impatient and intolerant.

Prerequisite
07-24-2012, 11:50 AM
The main issue i have with wow right now is the change in the general attitude of people. Honestly, the game has improved in almost every facet since vanilla. The only thing thats gotten worse is the community itself, but you will notice this is happening in EVERY game, and even in online communities outside of gaming. The new generation of kids using the internet are ignorant, impatient and intolerant.

I agree bro. I went to the WoW discussion forum for the first time in a few years...jesus christ. They bitch & moan about every little thing, it's crazy man.

Blizzard gave 25% off discount for character transfers this weekend and people complained that ($19 mind you) was too high, it should be free, etc. I'm like, it's a business, WTF do you expect?!

jolanar1
07-24-2012, 07:45 PM
I wouldn't start playing this late in the cycle to be honest.

It's a great game, but it's just old and getting very bloated.

Fennesz
07-24-2012, 10:14 PM
I wouldn't start playing this late in the cycle to be honest.

It's a great game, but it's just old and getting very bloated.

what do you mean? every expansion is basically a full reset

especially with MoP, since the classes are going to play very differently to how they have in the past. I feel the expansion after MoP is going to be the GOAT expansion (perhaps one focused on Nzoth? south seas? burning legion? emerald nightmare?).. MoP will perfect all of the mechanics changes, then they will roll out an expansion focused almost entirely on endgame content

its a decent time to begin again and find a class you like / level it to 85 / level some profs etc in prep for mop

Aaron47pb
07-24-2012, 11:26 PM
what do you mean? every expansion is basically a full reset

especially with MoP, since the classes are going to play very differently to how they have in the past. I feel the expansion after MoP is going to be the GOAT expansion (perhaps one focused on Nzoth? south seas? burning legion? emerald nightmare?).. MoP will perfect all of the mechanics changes, then they will roll out an expansion focused almost entirely on endgame content

its a decent time to begin again and find a class you like / level it to 85 / level some profs etc in prep for mop

highhopes/10

KuruptLifter
07-25-2012, 09:21 AM
highhopes/10

I played WoW in vanilla...

and my brother ress'd my account and blizz gave me all the expansions for free and a level 80 character.

Was pretty entertaining and I enjoyed it, but just like any MMO, once you've reach the level cap and started to gear up (and in WoW its very fast thanks to dungeon/raid finder) you're basically left with PVP.

My biggest gripe with any MMO is that everyone basically gets the same gear at the end.. and it's one of the reasons I loved diablo 2 and am having fun with Diablo 3.. every item is unique and different.. and that adds a false sense of customization that I long for

hahahhaa.

RAS7331
07-25-2012, 12:42 PM
There was a natural drop-off associated with the end of any expansion. The subscriber rate is remaining steady at 10.2 million, down from their peak of 12 million 2 years ago.

On top of this, Cataclysm was undoubtedly the worst expansion to date. Most of their time went into re-working azeroth, as opposed to creating endgame content. MoP is going to be the best expansion for a long time, and i have no doubt subscribers will soar to an all time high during it. From the beta, MoP feels like it's going to be better than wotlk and will easily be up there with BC.

Well said.

Prerequisite
07-25-2012, 02:12 PM
Sidebar: MoP (new expansion) is set to be officially released on September 25th.

etkillah
07-25-2012, 04:48 PM
If your going to start playing wow again wait until the next expansion, the game right now is utterly boring. People only get on to raid, then don't log back on till the next raid day.

Prerequisite
07-26-2012, 06:21 AM
If your going to start playing wow again wait until the next expansion, the game right now is utterly boring. People only get on to raid, then don't log back on till the next raid day.

True. I mean, he could just start leveling some characters and professions if he wanted.

huffwin
07-26-2012, 08:31 AM
I mean yes wow has become boring ive hand leveled 5 chars to the lvl cap of 85..Got bored sold that account...Bought a new one and now am currently levling it threw botting (its cheating i know but its better to have a life then not) Once this toon has reached the lvl cap ill be using him to farm money and in game items for gold for which i can sell online!

Manlet80
08-05-2012, 07:11 PM
Don't do it OP I quit wow in 2009 after 3 years of that crap. Its the same recycled garbage over and over and over oh did I mention over again. This game requires too much commitment for a dam game. If I were still playing wow I would still be fat (5'6" 205lbs 25-30% Bf) not because wow makes you fat but the large amount of sedentary time wow required made me fat. Please find something more productive to kill time. Anyways if you chose to play it don't let it hook you.

89FoxBody
08-05-2012, 07:39 PM
I played for 4 years...Vanilla and TBC were amazing. Really went downhill from there and I agree that the community is degrading as well. Met a lot of really cool people and had a ****ton of fun playing though...When our guild first killed Archimonde and Illidan (server first) we were so ecstatic, I know it's just a game but it really gave us a sense of accomplishment. That kinda wore off after a while..

MURedHawk235
08-05-2012, 11:27 PM
I played WoW in vanilla...

and my brother ress'd my account and blizz gave me all the expansions for free and a level 80 character.

Was pretty entertaining and I enjoyed it, but just like any MMO, once you've reach the level cap and started to gear up (and in WoW its very fast thanks to dungeon/raid finder) you're basically left with PVP.

My biggest gripe with any MMO is that everyone basically gets the same gear at the end.. and it's one of the reasons I loved diablo 2 and am having fun with Diablo 3.. every item is unique and different.. and that adds a false sense of customization that I long for

hahahhaa.

not sure if srs sir, d3 loot is just plain garbage

wings_unhinged
08-06-2012, 12:47 AM
It's been hard getting into this game.. you don't do much besides run around and kill enemies (that regenerate a few minutes after you kill it). And the combat is a bore... click the button to strike. Click the button to increase damage. Loot the corpse. Do that a hundred times to level up. At least in "normal" games, you got good visuals and a story.