PDA

View Full Version : new job making me lose way more calories than I thought?

underdawg17
07-19-2012, 08:18 AM
I'm 18 years old and on mobday I started my very first official summer job as a busser/ host, simultaneously. I am pretty light at 5'8", 140 lbs. I started bulking in May and have been gaining roughly half a pound a week and have made very great strength gains on Starting Strength. Before I started working, I was sedentary pretty much every day, so my TDEE was fairly low, usually around 2300 calories.

Here's the concern: during my job I am walking around at all times, for 6 hours straight, no breaks. Sometimes its slow walking, sometimes its faster. I am also constantly carrying miscellaneous items and cleaning/ setting up tables. What I have been doing diet-wise is just adding in an extra roughly estimated 300 calories Thinking that I couldn't have burned that many calories working. My calculations have been far off as for the last few days, I have lost a substantial amount of weight eating 3000 calories for the day. I could definitely eat more calories, but what I don't want is to end up going TOO high and gain more fat than muscle. I'm trying to keep the gains half and half. I also don't want my gains to slow down. Any advice on what I should do?

germaine07
07-19-2012, 08:27 AM
Not gaining, increase calories. Simple.

dreahere
07-19-2012, 08:31 AM
Based on what my bodymedia tells *me* I burn on days I walk around for 6 hours compared to days I'm sedentary, I would have no problem believing that a young guy like you is probably burning an extra 800-1000 calories during a shift. Definitely eat more on the days you work. 300 extra calories isn't enough. Don't waste the gains you could be making by undereating.!

underdawg17
07-19-2012, 08:35 AM
Not gaining, increase calories. Simple.

I realize that, its what I've been doing. Obviously not enough, but I don't to go TOO high and end up "dirty" for going way past maintenance. I'm already eating about 500 calories more than when I was bulking before and its still not enough. I just didn't think a job could make me lose more calories per day than even cardio or weight lifting.

germaine07
07-19-2012, 09:12 AM
If you're now working and burning more then your maintenance is higher, therefore you still may not be above maintenance calories.

lunchboy
07-19-2012, 10:55 AM
I realize that, its what I've been doing. Obviously not enough, but I don't to go TOO high and end up "dirty" for going way past maintenance. I'm already eating about 500 calories more than when I was bulking before and its still not enough. I just didn't think a job could make me lose more calories per day than even cardio or weight lifting.

If you're worried about fat gains, increase cals around 250/day until you see the scale moving in the right direction again.