PDA

View Full Version : any MAC bras use a Virtual Machine to run windows games(steam)?

DCocK
07-18-2012, 05:28 PM
I was hoping for a VM program that doesn't use much RAM. It is hard to get it to run smoothly on the full out Virtual machines.

I've got 8GB of ram so I think if I could find one that doesn't take up very much I could run most games smoothly.

LiftingNoobs
07-18-2012, 05:30 PM
with a virtual machine, you can set how much ram to allocate to the vm. If your games support linux, you can always install linux on the vm, and run the games there. Btw, i'm not too sure if VMs support gpu-acceleration

DCocK
07-18-2012, 05:32 PM
with a virtual machine, you can set how much ram to allocate to the vm. If your games support linux, you can always install linux on the vm, and run the games there. Btw, i'm not too sure if VMs support gpu-accelerationis it easier to run them in linux? I have a VM with windows 7. I guess I could just allocate like 6.5 GB of ram to it and play games that way. That's the only way I can think to make it not lag.

DCocK
07-18-2012, 05:35 PM
i want to run windows 7 through bootcamp but I ****ed up something and Idk what. I'll get the error message and screen shot it if anyone can help.

http://i.imgur.com/XnAXt.png

YesWayNoWeigh
07-18-2012, 05:36 PM
i did but didnt play games on it and my comp is from 07, did this in about 09. It will prob run fine for you it was somewhat laggy for me but not too bad. I used virtual box not bootcamp tho

NextBestThing
07-18-2012, 05:37 PM
i want to run windows 7 through bootcamp but I ****ed up something and Idk what. I'll get the error message and screen shot it if anyone can help.

http://i.imgur.com/XnAXt.png

Gonna have to repartition using disk utility, if u can't then u might need to back up, format the drive, then restore. Either that or you already made a bootcamp partition and it's trying to install windows on the osx partition for whatever reason. Could be a lot of things, backing up and starting over would be the easiest sure solution

If you want to game bootcamp is the way to go for using maximum resources available, if you're not gaming virtualbox is free and works great.

DCocK
07-18-2012, 06:05 PM
I am going to format the drive. I just backed up yesterday. How do I format?

NextBestThing
07-18-2012, 06:33 PM
I am going to format the drive. I just backed up yesterday. How do I format?

Wait before you do that, let me ask the dumb obvious question:

did u use boot camp assistant to create a boot camp partition?

DCocK
07-18-2012, 10:50 PM
Wait before you do that, let me ask the dumb obvious question:

did u use boot camp assistant to create a boot camp partition?yes.

DCocK
07-19-2012, 10:34 AM
ok so I got windows installed through bootcamp. I am downloading TF2 right now. going to be a test run before I start buying only windows games.

FreshStart12
07-19-2012, 10:40 AM
Um. I just downloaded Steam to my iMac and play CS:S

It's compatible now. No need to dual boot.

DCocK
07-19-2012, 10:45 AM
Um. I just downloaded Steam to my iMac and play CS:S

It's compatible now. No need to dual boot.there are tons of games that aren't compatible. I should have no problem running any of the games if everything goes as expected.

Bootcamp uses the full RAM and all that **** right? I was never prompted to put in an allocation of ram.

Godfrd824
07-19-2012, 10:45 AM
Buy a Mac to play games is like buying a cat to guard your house.

Here's the inverse, if you wanted to be a hipster douche phaggot, you wouldn't buy a Dell now would you?

DCocK
07-19-2012, 10:50 AM

Here's the inverse, if you wanted to be a hipster douche phaggot, you wouldn't buy a Dell now would you?um im going to be able to run the windows games anyways so IDGAF

Godfrd824
07-19-2012, 10:56 AM
um im going to be able to run the windows games anyways so IDGAFNo you're not, you might be able to play Team Fortress on Boot Camp, but try Crysis, or any new game for that matter, it won't work.

NextBestThing
07-19-2012, 12:15 PM
there are tons of games that aren't compatible. I should have no problem running any of the games if everything goes as expected.

Bootcamp uses the full RAM and all that **** right? I was never prompted to put in an allocation of ram.

Yes

No you're not, you might be able to play Team Fortress on Boot Camp, but try Crysis, or any new game for that matter, it won't work.

I like how you have no idea what you're talking about, first game I played when I got my macbook last year was Crysis. Everything runs beautifully, just depends which mac OP has because of the graphics card/ram

iliketojuggle
07-19-2012, 12:31 PM

Here's the inverse, if you wanted to be a hipster douche phaggot, you wouldn't buy a Dell now would you?

enjoy meeting my 300 pound jaguar brah

Godfrd824
07-19-2012, 01:00 PM
Yes

I like how you have no idea what you're talking about, first game I played when I got my macbook last year was Crysis. Everything runs beautifully, just depends which mac OP has because of the graphics card/ramWas it an expensive ass Mac pro? That's the only way it would work at a playable framerate, and even then, any 1k PC could out do it.

Godfrd824
07-19-2012, 01:02 PM
enjoy meeting my 300 pound jaguar brahand that's the only reason why Macs are a dumb decision, BRB spending life savings on a jaguar when a $200 corgi will do just fine.

NextBestThing
07-19-2012, 01:04 PM
Was it an expensive ass Mac pro? That's the only way it would work at a playable framerate, and even then, any 1k PC could out do it.

Doesn't matter, point is it can be done. For the record mine is a mid-range 2011 pro and we don't know what kind of mac OP has. I've never enjoyed a laptop more, can't understand until you've have one for a good amount of time to appreciate it. I'm not a hispter *** my laptop hardly ever leaves my house.

Godfrd824
07-19-2012, 01:48 PM
Doesn't matter, point is it can be done. For the record mine is a mid-range 2011 pro and we don't know what kind of mac OP has. I've never enjoyed a laptop more, can't understand until you've have one for a good amount of time to appreciate it. I'm not a hispter *** my laptop hardly ever leaves my house.I've had an MBP, and you're either lying or you have really low standard for what you consider running smoothly.

iliketojuggle
07-19-2012, 01:48 PM
and that's the only reason why Macs are a dumb decision, BRB spending life savings on a jaguar when a $200 corgi will do just fine.

lol tbh i can't stand macs just thought i would try to rustle your jimmies a little

the last mac thing I owned was the original ipod back in like 2003 or 4

NextBestThing
07-19-2012, 01:54 PM
I've had an MBP, and you're either lying or you have really low standard for what you consider running smoothly.

You must be trolling, what was it pre OSX?

Godfrd824
07-19-2012, 01:59 PM
You must be trolling, what was it pre OSX?Nope, and if I can't get Crysis to run at more than 50FPS on a full desktop with a 6970, you aren't running Crysis maxed out on an MBP.

NextBestThing
07-19-2012, 02:00 PM
Nope, and if I can't get Crysis to run at more than 50FPS on a full desktop with a 6970, you aren't running Crysis maxed out on an MBP.

If you say so

Godfrd824
07-19-2012, 02:03 PM
If you say soIt's very easy, post a fraps screen shot.

NextBestThing
07-19-2012, 02:04 PM
It's very easy, post a fraps screen shot.

Don't have crysis or bootcamp installed anymore, played it almost a year ago, not going to take time to prove anything on a forum

Godfrd824
07-19-2012, 02:05 PM
Don't have crysis or bootcamp installed anymore, played it almost a year ago, not going to take time to prove anything on a forumOf course not, on the internet I'm superman, because no one needs to prove anything.