PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have any experience eating less than 1 g of protein per lbm?

SameSongandDanc
07-16-2012, 12:01 PM
and cutting successfully and not losing any muscle. I am pretty strict with my calories but the way my meals at college work, I can only hit .5-.7g of protein per lbm. Will this work?

Serpentarius
07-16-2012, 12:09 PM
Everyone is different, thats probably not enough, you can make your own food as 1g per lb of lbm is too easy not to hit. Just eat at the end of the day only if you have issues with it.

Voxmusculus
07-16-2012, 12:45 PM
Honestly, I have the same problem, but I've been working up to it. Technically, I need ~105g protein, which is kinda hard for me as a vegetarian and as someone who's on the road a lot.

The one thing that helped me was tracking it as part of my calorie counting (LiveStrong, MyFitnessPal etc track this for you automatically). When I first started, I was eating around 60g/day, and I slowly identified foods that added a lot of carbs but not enough calories. So, I started substituting them with protein rich foods.

In fact, when I had my annual physical last week, my doctor also told me the same thing. She said that I need to not only consume more protein, but also more fat. So, I've been cutting out the carb-rich items and replacing them with (low sodium) nutrient rich items. It's hard at first, but once you identify the troublemakers, it becomes a lot easier.

So far, I've gone from around 60g/wk ---> 64g/wk ---> 68 g/week --> 74 g/wk ---> 78g/wk. I am targeting to hit the 85g/wk mark, and eventually the 105g mark within the next 4 weeks. Let's see!

EddieFromEurope
07-16-2012, 01:15 PM
I think I'm barely getting 50g - 70g protein each day for a few months..... My strenght is going up, no muscle loss.

I know it is written everywhere about 1g per lbm pound, but I never did and won't do for now because I see no point in that (while I'm cutting slowly...).

StayNattyBrah
07-16-2012, 01:18 PM
Yeah, protein requirements seem largeley exagerated IMO i never hit the 1 lb per lb b/w and hasn't harmed me.

mdmayberry09
07-16-2012, 01:27 PM
I had a friend who was an amatuer bodybuilder and had his doctorates in nutrition and sports medicine, he said that the protein needed and what people say are greatly exaggerated. Personally, i believe him seeing as the background he has. I should be getting 160g a day, which isn't exactly hard by any means, but to me just seems un-needed.

DJohnson
07-16-2012, 02:09 PM
I remember wave_length saying when he first started his 1 meal/day approach he was getting poor results until he increased his protein.

I think it's less important while bulking.

Serpentarius
07-16-2012, 02:18 PM
I remember wave_length saying when he first started his 1 meal/day approach he was getting poor results until he increased his protein.

I think it's less important while bulking.

I think it is true as well, i am bulking (~300 cal surplus) with ~140-145g a day and eat only one giant meal. Getting steady results. (i do this since i have steadier blood sugar throughout the day and hardly any hunger).

Voxmusculus
07-16-2012, 02:58 PM
I think it is true as well, i am bulking (~300 cal surplus) with ~140-145g a day and eat only one giant meal. Getting steady results. (i do this since i have steadier blood sugar throughout the day and hardly any hunger).

Honestly, while my sample size is relatively small (i.e. a couple of months), I just seem to be able to lift more and perform better with increased protein. And I notice visible changes every time I've upped my protein for the week significantly.

etali
07-17-2012, 03:54 AM
Honestly, while my sample size is relatively small (i.e. a couple of months), I just seem to be able to lift more and perform better with increased protein. And I notice visible changes every time I've upped my protein for the week significantly.

I'm vegetarian, and I used to basically live on fruit, salads, and bread. I was lucky if I got 30g of protein per day. I had plenty of energy, but my lifts were stuck at the upper end of novice for my weight, and wouldn't move.

I started eating more cheese and drinking a protein shake per day - that puts my protein intake at around 0.7g/ lb of my weight (no idea what that is in terms of lean body mass - I've never had my bf% tested properly). That made a huge amount of difference to my lifts.

OK, so that's an extreme example, and it's just my experience, but hopefully it helps. In my experience, if you aren't getting enough protein to sustain your workouts, you'll know about it because you just won't see any improvements.

krete77
07-17-2012, 04:46 AM
I stick with .8g/#ofLBM.

Which is roughly anywhere between 110-140g a day. Works fine for me.

frank112
07-17-2012, 06:26 AM
Some days I get 1g per lbm, some days I don't.

Didn't affect my progress whatsoever

harshathlete
07-17-2012, 06:38 AM
Some days I get 1g per lbm, some days I don't.

Didn't affect my progress whatsoever

^^^ This... Keep it simple. Eat wholesome foods and focus on lifting heavy consistently. If you are cutting, eat less of hte same foods you are eating. THe calorie deficit will cause the fat loss and the weight lifting will retain the muscle. Most claims of protein intake are exaggerated. Your normal diet (unless you are a vegan ) has enough protein in it to meet your needs.

scotchchris
07-17-2012, 06:48 AM
Yeah, protein requirements seem largeley exagerated IMO i never hit the 1 lb per lb b/w and hasn't harmed me.

I second this. I always thought hit 0.6g-0.8g per lb of total body weight.

As long as you're lifting heavy enough it shouldnt be a problem

LittleSam
07-17-2012, 06:54 AM
i weigh about 235 & i'm trying to cut a little bit of fat right now (roughly 15% bf now) & i probably get anywhere from 160-220 grams of protein/day. i do count calories (only 3000 per day) but i don't count protein. i just stay within my calorie limit and try to make a conscious effort to eat protein-heavy foods. no need to make it super complicated.

Bliz19
07-17-2012, 07:21 AM
I stick with .8g/#ofLBM.

Which is roughly anywhere between 110-140g a day. Works fine for me.

I, too use this number and have lost about 30 lbs with all of my lifts increasing. They have kind of flatlined now for awhile now as I try to finish this cut, but not really losing any noticeable strength.

Voxmusculus
07-17-2012, 07:31 AM
I'm vegetarian, and I used to basically live on fruit, salads, and bread. I was lucky if I got 30g of protein per day. I had plenty of energy, but my lifts were stuck at the upper end of novice for my weight, and wouldn't move.

I started eating more cheese and drinking a protein shake per day - that puts my protein intake at around 0.7g/ lb of my weight (no idea what that is in terms of lean body mass - I've never had my bf% tested properly). That made a huge amount of difference to my lifts.

OK, so that's an extreme example, and it's just my experience, but hopefully it helps. In my experience, if you aren't getting enough protein to sustain your workouts, you'll know about it because you just won't see any improvements.

As a fellow vegetarian, I couldn't agree more! I also see actual physical improvements in definition and muscle mass with increased protein, even if I am cutting.

So, I've tried to slowly up my protein consumption to around 105g/day, and while I'm not there yet, I can already see changes.