PDA

View Full Version : I want to get from ~20% body fat down to ~10%... critique my diet please

90pioneer
07-14-2012, 12:01 AM
Hey ya'll...

I'm 25, 5'9, and 155lbs. I'm roughly 20% body fat from what online calculators have told me. I don't have a lot of muscle (yet) but my main goal is to lean out and ditch the man boobs. I want to be down to 10% or less body fat.

I've lost 14 pounds of fat in the past few months where my workouts have not been consistent due to treadmill injuries (over worked muscles, fractured foot, etc).

Right now my calorie intake is approx 1500 cals a day, divided up into small meals throughout the day. I don't usually eat until 1 or 2pm (just not hungry). On an average day I will generally consume 1250 cals and feel pretty full. Occasionally I will have a bad cheat day. I use an app called Simple Calorie Count which works AWESOME and I track *everything* I eat or drink that has calories.

I try and do cardio at least 3 times a week and lift (p90x videos) at least twice a week. I am also doing the 100 push up program and do a lot of pull ups, etc. My cardio generally consists of 1 hour and 5 minutes (including 4 min warm up and 5 min cool down), where I will run an average of 5.75 miles. I will jog the first 15 to 30 minutes (depending on how I'm feeling), walk a few minutes, do some interval sprints, etc. But I always end up around the 5.75 mark. My biggest obstacle here is I keep having problems with my leg and knee muscles. For example, a couple months ago I decided to run 7.25 miles. I ended up fracturing my right foot, destroying the tendons and ligaments in my ankle and effing up my hip flexor. Could hardly walk for 6 weeks. Well that all healed up, I got fitted for proper running shoes, but now my left leg is giving me problems. The muscle that runs from the back of the calf, behind the knee, and up into the hip has started causing me a fair amount of pain.

My diet has mainly consisted of Eating Right Safeway brand frozen meals. They're delicious, easy to make, and have few calories. They're also cheap as hell. I also try and eat a lot of chicken breast for protein, but it costs too much to eat chicken breast once or twice per day. So I'm going to add a daily whey protein shake into the mix.

I seem to have plateaued in my current routine and would like to break through it and drop another 10 or 12lbs of fat. Advice, comments, ideas, suggestions???

myjohnson
07-14-2012, 12:15 AM
Man, I'm training for a half marathon and run 3 miles for my HIIT and I'm up to 6 miles on my long days.

Are you a heel striker? You are only 25 and shouldn't be hurting like that when you run.

I use to be a heel striker but shorten my stride and I land mid foot now.

Totally change the running game for me. I run pain and injury free now.

You should look unto Chi running.

theripper1
07-14-2012, 05:33 PM
Oh man....3 times a week 6 miles jogs,frozen meals ,1500 calories i haven't seen one thing that will help you improve in terms of muscle building .Cut the 6 mile jogs and stick to the sprints only .Eat at least 3 grams of protein per kg of bodyweight ,divide your meals into 5-6 even portions a day ,don't skip your breakfast

saleenracer
07-14-2012, 05:52 PM
buy chicken in bulk from Costco or Sam's Club.
I buy a 10lb bag for $20 at Costco!

90pioneer
07-17-2012, 09:28 PM
anyone else?

phoenixr2
07-17-2012, 09:40 PM
but my main goal is to lean out and ditch the man boobs

Oh man....3 times a week 6 miles jogs,frozen meals ,1500 calories i haven't seen one thing that will help you improve in terms of muscle building .Cut the 6 mile jogs and stick to the sprints only .Eat at least 3 grams of protein per kg of bodyweight ,divide your meals into 5-6 even portions a day ,don't skip your breakfast

Did you miss that part of his post, its right at the beginning. OP you can eat as little or as many meals as you want, and eat breakfast or not, really wont matter. Much like 90% of the other threads in here, if you are not seeing progress then track more closely and reduce calories if not seeing changes within a two week time frame. I also would recommend actually lifting weights (not cardio/calisthenics stuf) as it will help build LBM while reducing BF as well.

buy chicken in bulk from Costco or Sam's Club.
I buy a 10lb bag for $20 at Costco!this for the win. Bulk chicken is cheap, so are bulk packs of eggs

yololego
07-17-2012, 10:05 PM
anyone else?start here http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136691851 and
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981