PDA

View Full Version : IF using lean gains when training twice a day

luelf21
07-13-2012, 07:37 PM
My wife wants to start the lean gains IF technique, and wanted me to help get some questions answered.

She does weight training in the morning, and in the afternoon (5 pm - 9:30 pm) she trains in jujitsu and kickboxing. While these aren't actual weight training, they are indeed intensive workouts.

On leangains.com he reccomends the largest meal after the workout, but what if she works out twice per day? Which should she consider her primary workout to base her 8 hrs of eating around?

Thanks

Flat4Suby
07-13-2012, 07:50 PM
I would do the first one because I don't see how she can work out...not replenish in any way, go through her whole day, and then work out again. She won't be getting the most out of her workouts if she goes through both of them with no replenishment of energy.

luelf21
07-13-2012, 07:54 PM
I would do the first one because I don't see how she can work out...not replenish in any way, go through her whole day, and then work out again. She won't be getting the most out of her workouts if she goes through both of them with no replenishment of energy.

That's what I was thinking as well.

She does her jujitsu training 6 days per week and her weight training 3 days per week. I know lean gains is all about staying consistent with eating times, so do you see any problems with keeping the eating the same on off days from weight training, even though she's still "working out" at night with jujitsu?

Flat4Suby
07-13-2012, 08:00 PM
That's what I was thinking as well.

She does her jujitsu training 6 days per week and her weight training 3 days per week. I know lean gains is all about staying consistent with eating times, so do you see any problems with keeping the eating the same on off days from weight training, even though she's still "working out" at night with jujitsu?

its really about what works for her. I would save some calories for after her nightly training just so she isn't super hungry after training before going to bed. But from the consistency side of things as it pertains to the results of leangains, I really don't think its an issue if she shifts around her eating windows.

But honestly wait for other people's opinions. I myself do a form of IF (but for bulking), and in my opinion, the effects of it are not from the fact that you are fasting 16hrs and eating 8 hrs, its that it is easier for you to stick to your diet by having huge meals and fasting after that. I think its a mental thing. People go through those 16hrs of fasting "looking forward" to gorging on food for 8 hrs which helps them stick to the diet. I think there was a research posted here at one point showing the effects of fasting for 16hrs/eating 8hrs described in Leangains are minimal if any to body composition.

SwoleMe
07-13-2012, 08:40 PM
Why not just eat after weights in morning and before/after jujitsu or when hungry?

Not sure what she want to do IF for... No benefit

MAGnitude
07-13-2012, 08:48 PM
Why not just eat after weights in morning and before/after jujitsu or when hungry?

Not sure what she want to do IF for... No benefit

this

Flat4Suby
07-13-2012, 08:50 PM
yup, the only benefit is mental - - - you can stuff yourself like a pig and not gain a pound.

Ajaro
07-13-2012, 09:26 PM
unless she just likes the idea of skipping breakfast, or if she needs some sort of appetite control (with fewer meals), IFing is not going to offer anything magical (just appetite control imo).

But with that level of activity, its not like shes having to eat at really low cals (two a days means lots of cals)