PDA

View Full Version : Cut stalling at 180 - lower cals more?

MiscinHard
07-06-2012, 08:07 AM
The scale hasn't gone below 180 for about 2 weeks now. This is what I logged yesterday: 213p, 75f, 93c. Total ~1900. I'm extremely consistent during the week but I do cheat a bit on the weekends and have a few drinks but I don't go on 5k cal binges or anything extreme.

Anyone ever just stall like this before? Should I drop cals to 1800? Add in HIIT before/after training?

WonderPug
07-06-2012, 08:11 AM
How tall are you, what's your gender and what's your approximate percentage body fat.

MiscinHard
07-06-2012, 08:38 AM
6'0'', male. Best guess for BF would be around 14%. Estimated TEE is around 2430

mandimeoutof10
07-06-2012, 08:46 AM
The simple answer is yes, you need to lower your calories if your goal is weight loss and you aren't losing weight. How long have you been dieting? Your TDEE will decrease the lighter/leaned you get.

Milone79
07-06-2012, 08:49 AM
The simple answer is yes, you need to lower your calories if your goal is weight loss and you aren't losing weight. How long have you been dieting? Your TDEE will decrease the lighter/leaned you get.

...orrrrrrrrr increase activity if the thought of lowering cals any further does not appeal to you...

mandimeoutof10
07-06-2012, 08:57 AM
...orrrrrrrrr increase activity if the thought of lowering cals any further does not appeal to you...

Touche. Instead of lower cals, I should have said increase your deficit.

MiscinHard
07-06-2012, 09:01 AM

I've been cutting for a while but only started getting really serious (stricly counting macros) about 2 months ago, down from about 205lbs over the last 4 weeks or so.

I'm thinking maybe 10-15mins of HIIT - is it recommended to do that before or after weight training? I train 4 days a week, upper/lower split with a power and dynamic/hypertrophy day for both.

germaine07
07-06-2012, 09:10 AM
I've been cutting for a while but only started getting really serious (stricly counting macros) about 2 months ago, down from about 205lbs over the last 4 weeks or so.

I'm thinking maybe 10-15mins of HIIT - is it recommended to do that before or after weight training? I train 4 days a week, upper/lower split with a power and dynamic/hypertrophy day for both.

Did you start at 205lbs?

AdamWW
07-06-2012, 09:12 AM
My personal choice would be just adding some cardio.. good for you and will eliminate the need for less yum yums.

Dionkey
07-06-2012, 09:20 AM
Just add some cardio, bro. There's really no benefit to cutting calories over cardio, and the nonsense about losing muscle really needs to die a painful death.

mrh0rnet
07-06-2012, 10:12 AM
The scale hasn't gone below 180 for about 2 weeks now. This is what I logged yesterday: 213p, 75f, 93c. Total ~1900. I'm extremely consistent during the week but I do cheat a bit on the weekends and have a few drinks but I don't go on 5k cal binges or anything extreme.

Anyone ever just stall like this before? Should I drop cals to 1800? Add in HIIT before/after training?

Or..you could just keep eating what you're eating now and add cardio. That's what I did to get over my hump.

Edit, seems like others beat me to it.

LJKB
07-06-2012, 10:27 AM
As many suggestions have been given, I'll take this time to semi-hijack your thread. Has anyone just tried taking a week break from dieting and just eating at maintenance? Was this more effective than adding cardio?

mrh0rnet
07-06-2012, 10:41 AM
As many suggestions have been given, I'll take this time to semi-hijack your thread. Has anyone just tried taking a week break from dieting and just eating at maintenance? Was this more effective than adding cardio?

I tried that for two weeks and actually ended up gaining 3 lbs trying to find my maintenance. Was so pissed I did 40 min of cardio everyday for 2 weeks straight to get it back off. I know the scale isn't everything but when you're coming from obese and you see the scale go up instead of down it tends to piss you off.

ironwill2008
07-06-2012, 11:11 AM

How many weeks have you been running on a strict calorie deficit?

How much cardio did you go into the start of the cut with, and how much are you doing right now?

Has anyone just tried taking a week break from dieting and just eating at maintenance?

Under some circumstances, ^^^^ this is the only option left to deal with a stalled cut. If the cut was done really wrong, the trainee might even have to forego the cut altogether and go back on a calorie surplus for several months before trying to cut again.

senoner
07-06-2012, 11:18 AM

Here's a thought, maybe you can begin being more strict on the weekends. You might think its only a little but those calories you are eating when you "cheat a little" can add up pretty fast, especially when you are drinking. You will be surprised how many calories you are consuming when you add up all the cals from drinking.

leibowski
07-06-2012, 11:25 AM
Count every calorie on your weekend, determine if your weekly totals put you at a deficit, surplus, or maintenance.

blackhawks87
08-17-2012, 12:58 PM
Count every calorie on your weekend, determine if your weekly totals put you at a deficit, surplus, or maintenance.

This.. I had a similar issue i am currently stalling at 168-167 lb on my cut... I am strict until saturday rolls around and its chipotle 13 beers and pizza which im sure puts all the calorie defecit i created back to maintenance explainnig why im not losing weight lol...