PDA

View Full Version : 1994 mlb strike

broboma2012
07-05-2012, 08:45 PM
the strike that year robbed several players of their career years. a few different guys had a chance to break the bambino's single season home run record. this year is forgotten due to the strike, but it was an offensive renaissance. here are 3 players who were on record setting paces with video game numbers.

albert belle:

in just 106 games he already knocked 35 hrs while amassing 101 rbi, batting .357 with a .438 obp. his also had 36 doubles with a 1.152 ops
absolutely monstrous.

ken griffey jr:

in just 111 griffey had hit 40 hrs to go along with 90 rbi a .323 ba and 1.076. this would have most likely been his signature year. he had the best shot to break ruth hr record that year.

frank thomas:

this one hurt the most me as i'm a big frank thomas fan. i have always wondered what his number would have looked like this year had he been able to play the full season. it would have gone down as one the best seasons of all time and the best year he ever had. him winning the mvp is just a small consolation.

the big hurt was have an absolutely savage year. in just 113 games had already hit 38 hrs with 101 rbis. not to mention his 34 doubles and .729 slg %!!! he was batting .357 as well. frank, always known for his eagle eye at the plate also had a .487 obp to give him and ops of 1.217. those are bonds numbers folks. too often i feel frank gets lost in the shuffle and it's forgotten just how good he was. frank's year would have gone down as one of the top 10 (maybe even top 5) of all time and it's a real shame that all these players were robbed of what would have been the defining years of the respective careers.

kyleTX
07-05-2012, 08:48 PM
lol how'd you make this thread w/out mentioning Bagwell that year?

39 hr, 116 rbi, .368 avg in 110 games. 1.201 OPS

Greg1983
07-05-2012, 08:49 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e9/1994_Banner.jpg

8pakalypse
07-05-2012, 08:50 PM

39 hr, 116 rbi, .368 avg in 110 gameslol

8pakalypse
07-05-2012, 08:51 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e9/1994_Banner.jpgDat dere 1st place Expos
What a shame!
That team was effin loaded!!

broboma2012
07-05-2012, 08:59 PM

39 hr, 116 rbi, .368 avg in 110 games. 1.201 OPS

****, totally forgot about bagwell. those numbers are ridiculous! him and thomas were very comparable early in their careers. thanks for reminding me. so many players robbed of their best years. '94 would have gone down as on the best offensive years of all time.

JaxBrah
07-05-2012, 09:04 PM
Meh, all but 1 (maybe 2 with thomas) you mentioned were jacked on roids so who really cares.

Id like to think frank thomas wasnt juicing but he was the most massive player in the game

porcupinetree
07-05-2012, 09:05 PM
Hard for me to feel sorry for the players since they were the ones who striked.

broboma2012
07-05-2012, 09:07 PM
i also guess i should add that gwynn was batting .394 and mat williams (da fuk) was leading the league in homers with 43 in just 112 games. so i guess he had the best shot at breaking maris' record (although i always thought of it as ruth's record). i guess it would have been pretty fitting for a guy like matt ****ing williams to come out of nowhere to beat maris' record; poetic almost.

broboma2012
07-05-2012, 09:08 PM
Meh, all but 1 (maybe 2 with thomas) you mentioned were jacked on roids so who really cares.

Id like to think frank thomas wasnt juicing but he was the most massive player in the game

god why does this always have to come up?

broboma2012
07-05-2012, 09:10 PM
Hard for me to feel sorry for the players since they were the ones who striked.

i don't feel sorry for the players. i feel sorry for the fans because they didn't get the chance to witness a historic year. my dad was so upset by the strike that he didn't even talk about pro baseball for another 5 years. alot of white sox fans felt like that was their year to win it all. thankfully they got one in '05 so it is a moot point.

AriGhold
07-05-2012, 09:20 PM
All of em were on roids anyway so it doesn't matter. And the real tragedy is that it cost the Indians 2 world series titles because it screwed up the home field advantage . AL should have had it in 95 and 97 but instead the NL got it because of the strike.

ElMariachi
07-05-2012, 09:24 PM
Dat dere 1st place Expos
What a shame!
That team was effin loaded!!

THIS. No 1994 MLB strike discussion should start without first mentioning the Expo's, that was one of the best teams I've seen all-time(serious), they were on a ****ing roll and that franchise has been screwed pretty much from that point on.

Greg1983
07-05-2012, 09:26 PM
I lol'd at the similar thread.

Real talk. The MLB offices were ****ting their pants that the World Series trophy ended up north of the border two years straight (1992*, 1993**) and that the Montreal Expos were about to make it three years in a row***. So the MLB front office made sure there was a strike**** just so Canada didn't own the World Series three years in a row.

Sources:
*http://www.baseball-reference.com/postseason/1992_WS.shtml
** http://www.baseball-reference.com/postseason/1993_WS.shtml
*** http://www.shrpsports.com/mlb/stand/1994finaldiv.htm
**** http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1856626

JoshSelby
07-05-2012, 09:28 PM
We gonna act like Matt Williams wasn't on pace to hit 61 homers?

broboma2012
07-05-2012, 09:28 PM
THIS. No 1994 MLB strike discussion should start without first mentioning the Expo's, that was one of the best teams I've seen all-time(serious), they were on a ****ing roll and that franchise has been screwed pretty much from that point on.

they produced some pretty sick talent. it's too bad they were consistently cherry picked of all of those once in a generation talents they ahd ocme up through their system. what were the bright spots of that expos team? i am not too familiar with them. my dad always lamented the white sox's chances that year.

UIOWALAW
07-05-2012, 09:29 PM

Lol'd at 1994 Western Division.. poverty division

broboma2012
07-05-2012, 09:30 PM
mentioned it already. although his season was the least impressive of the ones mentioned in this thread despite his home run total.

ElMariachi
07-05-2012, 09:32 PM
they produced some pretty sick talent. it's too bad they were consistently cherry picked of all of those once in a generation talents they ahd ocme up through their system. what were the bright spots of that expos team? i am not too familiar with them. my dad always lamented the white sox's chances that year.

Just a couple of guys you may have heard of.

Cliff Floyd
Marquis Grissom
Moises Alou
Larry Walker

Ken Hill
Pedro Martinez
Jeff Fassero
John Wetteland
Mel Rojas
Gil Heredia

They were 30 games over .500 when the season stopped.

The Reds were another team that was absolutely tearing **** up that year as well, featuring guys like Jose Rijo, John Smiley, Barry Larkin, Brett Boone, Deion and more. Yankees were also loaded, almost batting .300 as a team.

AriGhold
07-05-2012, 09:39 PM

yes. MLB would risk the years of declining revenue and popularity that follow any strike to prevent the success of teams in relatively new markets that they were using to expand their brand into.

NewYorkMets
07-05-2012, 09:41 PM
no mention of bret saberhagen ? 14-4 2.74 era and 13 walks in 177 innings.

broboma2012
07-05-2012, 09:41 PM
Just a couple of guys you may have heard of.

Cliff Floyd
Marquis Grissom
Moises Alou
Larry Walker

Ken Hill
Pedro Martinez
Jeff Fassero
John Wetteland
Mel Rojas
Gil Heredia

They were 30 games over .500 when the season stopped.

The Reds were another team that was absolutely tearing **** up that year as well, featuring guys like Jose Rijo, John Smiley, Barry Larkin, Brett Boone, Deion and more. Yankees were also loaded, almost batting .300 as a team.

wow. at least they got their ships though. 30 games over .500! paul o neil was having an amazing year as well. it would have been his best year ever.

broboma2012
07-05-2012, 09:42 PM
no mention of bret saberhagen ? 14-4 2.74 era and 13 walks in 177 innings.

7.74 era? that must be a typo

mayweathermusic
07-05-2012, 09:44 PM
Bro it had been Roger Maris's record since 61.

ElMariachi
07-05-2012, 09:51 PM
Jimmy Key of the Yankees had 17 wins that season, was by far the best pitcher on the team. David Cone had 16 wins for KC and Mike Mussina had 16 for Baltimore, both of those guys would go on to play for the Yankees in future seasons.

Kenny Lofton was also having a ridiculous season, batting like .350 with almost 80 stolen bases at the time play was stopped.

MrAWatts
07-05-2012, 09:53 PM

Umm

I had a friend stay the night and when i was dark and my parent went to bed we tried to make our own version of a pussy using grape jelly and a half gallon milk jug... We put the milk jug in between two couch cusions..stuffed some toilet paper in it for a soft feeling and squirted the jelly inside of it for lube..It felt pretty good..

My dad caught me hang off of my bunkbed upside down trying to suck my own dick.

me and my male cousin use to pretend to have sex. instead of putting it in the butt we rub lotion on our dicks and legs/butt cheeks and had sex with each others theights/legs well bent over. who ever was getting screwed would try to make girl moaning noises.

use to go in bathroom after my mom, got out and pull her underwear out of hamster and lick them/ smell them well jerking off. have not done this in over a year though.

NewYorkMets
07-05-2012, 09:54 PM
the '94 strike really hurt the canadien baseball teams, jays were always one of the top teams in baseball and in attendance before the strike and after it their attendanced dropped. they were 1st in the american league in attendance from '89-'94, in '95 they were 3rd but they suffered a big drop off after that. expos always struggled drawing fans and then you know what happened.

Greg1983
07-05-2012, 09:55 PM
the '94 strike really hurt the canadien baseball teams, jays were always one of the top teams in baseball and in attendance before the strike and after it their attendanced dropped. they were 1st in the american league in attendance from '89-'94, in '95 they were 3rd but they suffered a big drop off after that. expos always struggled drawing fans and then you know what happened.

The Jays' attendance dropped because they went out and sucked for years, not because of the strike.

JoshSelby
07-05-2012, 09:59 PM
We gonna act like the 2001 Mariners are not the GOAT team to never win it?
BRB 70 games over .500
BRB best win% ever
BRB best averages and OBP in a pitcher friendly park
BRB RoTY, MVP, and GOAT hitter in Ichiro
BRB best fielding team
BRB 4 starting pitchers with 10+ more wins than losses
BRB relief pitcher that was 8-0

LostOne287
07-05-2012, 10:04 PM
We gonna act like everybody except Griff wasn't roiding back then too? And he STILL led the league in homers that year.

UIOWALAW
07-05-2012, 10:09 PM
We gonna act like everybody except Griff wasn't roiding back then too? And he STILL led the league in homers that year.

Griff was probably roiding too

JoshSelby
07-05-2012, 10:17 PM

This. Dude is a Hall of Famer. The voters for baseball (like most sports, but especially baseball) are fuking stupid.
BRB not voting in players with insane stats because they roided
BRB not voting in clean players like McGriff because their insane numbers didn't compare with insane steroid numbers.

Seriously, how the fuk his stats warrant fewer than 20% votes is beyond me.

broboma2012
07-05-2012, 10:26 PM
Bro it had been Roger Maris's record since 61.

yea i know. i already addressed that.

broboma2012
07-05-2012, 10:32 PM

#1 he didn't lead the league in homers.
#2 you can't cherry pick who you think is on steroids because they are a player you like. thomas' name is just as squeaky clean as griffey's

edit: thomas was a better hitter than griffey was. that year thomas was threatening the single season slg% record held by ted williams. he was at .729 (.731 was the record). there were several hitters having better years than griffey

LostOne287
07-05-2012, 10:42 PM
#1 he didn't lead the league in homers.
#2 you can't cherry pick who you think is on steroids because they are a player you like. thomas' name is just as squeaky clean as griffey's

He led the AL. Was only behing Matt Williams in baseball Griffey destroyed Williams' numbers everywhere else.

I should've mentioned Thomas as well. I don't think he was on it, he was always just a huge guy. All the other league leaders though were obvious juicers (Bonds, Bagwell, Canseco, Belle).

broboma2012
07-05-2012, 11:01 PM
He led the AL. Was only behing Matt Williams in baseball Griffey destroyed Williams' numbers everywhere else.

I should've mentioned Thomas as well. I don't think he was on it, he was always just a huge guy. All the other league leaders though were obvious juicers (Bonds, Bagwell, Canseco, Belle).

i don't know why everyone cares so much about players roiding. i see it as the next logical step in competition. throughout history athletes have used every possible advantage at their disposal. whether it be technological advances (equipment), training methods, diet, etc. steroids is no different. also, at the pro level, i know that i want to see the game played at the highest level possible and steroids certainly is a means to that.

also, the guessing game is ridiculous. there is no possible way we can discern who was on and who wasn't. just accept it, then you can go back to enjoying your respective favorite athletes/sports.