PDA

View Full Version : I can't let this beat me! (srs) pill issue...

kurtb2080
06-28-2012, 08:22 AM
So in short, I've never been able to successfully swallow a tablet or capsule pill in my life... I've grown up taking liquid medicine or crushed small pills into applesauce to get em down.

I have an extremely sensitive gag reflex and the slightest twinge of it sets me off. Sometimes in my shakes if I hit a small bit of blueberry or some seeds in it I'll gag.

I finally got in my Orange Tiad yesterday and was (still am) stoked to be taking it. I ordered with the intent on forcing myself to take it by getting this pill thing down, no pun intended.

Tried yesterday to swallow one, ended with me an inch from puking... I ended up with dissolving the pill in a bottle and drinking it with some fruit punch. So terrible tasting..... Tried again this morning and when I finally psyched myself up I just gaged and coughed it n juice everywhere. Resorted to crushing and putting in Icecream, yeah didn't end well....Icecream hit my tongue and powder came out all over and I spit it all out instantly...taste was like someone took a chit in my mouth. Instantaneous reaction to void my mouth.

I need to do this guys. I gotta get over this. It's so frustrating! I get down on myself because I can't take a frikken pill! I know its mental too because when I attempt my hands sweat and my throat feels like its closing. Bad anxiety! Now, I can swallow a gummy bear just fine and mouthfuls of food fine but my brain knows its a pill. It will just sit on my tongue and not go down, my throat closes and will not let it pass.

Come on! I'm sick of this chit I need to get over it but can't. I don't want to crush pills. I want to swallow them and get it over.

Plz help brahs with any suggestions that may have helped ya get over this.

No "man up" comments plz. Seriously looking for help on this and that def does not.

jhouser
06-28-2012, 08:25 AM
Learn to relax your throat before trying to swallow the pill, and work on keeping it open.

Can't believe I'm posting those words...

inb4BJjokes

bretfarve24
06-28-2012, 08:27 AM
try taking it with water it should help
and im pretty sure it wont affect the pill

419superman
06-28-2012, 08:30 AM
yea man, just open you're throat up and take it. Go slow if you need to, its you're first time.
Its hard for you because its all dry, maybe get it wet first?

lol but really, on a serious note. Maybe stick it as far back in you're throat as you can, focus watching in the mirror take a HUGE gulp of water.

kurtb2080
06-28-2012, 08:32 AM
jhouser- How does one try to relax their throat?

bretfarve24- I've tried water also and no luck

419superman- I've taken sips of fluid to kinda get it prepped and also stuck it far as I could (when I could actually muster up to do it). I was looking in the mirror this morning and I can see the back of my tongue and I see how it would work. I need to learn to try and gulp water. I take one mouthful and try to swallow it completely before I can take another mouthful, just how I am. I tried to do what someone suggest and keep chugging, I can't seem to keep it flowing without choking on the first one tho.

FritzIndustries
06-28-2012, 08:44 AM
I used to have this problem, and then I decided to stop being a little girl.
But really, you just have to pretend like you are swallowing a big gulp of water, pretend there is nothing else there. Now I can easilly take 6 OT at the same time plus 4-5 fish oil caps and I don't even notice.

swolegame12
06-28-2012, 08:47 AM
I used to have this problem when I was a kid. You just gotta learn to throw ur head back at the same time u try to swallow it. That should help

jhouser
06-28-2012, 08:48 AM
jhouser- How does one try to relax their throat?

bretfarve24- I've tried water also and no luck

419superman- I've taken sips of fluid to kinda get it prepped and also stuck it far as I could (when I could actually muster up to do it). I was looking in the mirror this morning and I can see the back of my tongue and I see how it would work. I need to learn to try and gulp water. I take one mouthful and try to swallow it completely before I can take another mouthful, just how I am. I tried to do what someone suggest and keep chugging, I can't seem to keep it flowing without choking on the first one tho.

Don't be tense. The same way you're relaxing your throat as you read this. It's like breathing - you don't notice it until you think about it. When you know you're taking a pill you tense up and swallow differently. Just relax and pretend it's not there.

Valhallabound86
06-28-2012, 08:49 AM
If you want a good laugh, read half these responses completely out of context. (Couldn't help it)

@OP: Probably most of it is psychological. If you psyche yourself out into believing you cannot swallow it, then you won't be able to. I conquered it when I first started just buy reassuring myself that the pill is gonna go down, regardless if my throat wants it to or not. I've found that taking a sip of water to wet the area, then attempting to swallow will sometimes help.

And, just like everything, practice makes perfect.

Przybylski5
06-28-2012, 08:50 AM
This is an easy fix, put a gulp of water in your mouth then put in the pill and swallow it!. Itl go down in one or 2 swallows. This is what i do for those big fish oil pills. I too get anxiety..so its key to just stay relaxed.

RaginAzN
06-28-2012, 09:09 AM
Or crush them up and mix them in your yogurt or something. Orange Triad are also coated so they'll go down easier as well.

JasondNelson1
06-28-2012, 09:15 AM
I had this problem till I was 15. Always tried but I just couldn't do it. One day I forced myself, literally took about an hour of me gagging and trying but was finally able to do it.

And once I swallowed the first one, the rest went down so easy. Its honestly all mental. I can swallow damn near every pill of animal pak now all at once.

NorCalRey
06-28-2012, 09:26 AM
My suggestion is to switch to Animal Pak and Animal Flex. Practice makes perfect!

Seriously though, just put the pill in your mouth and take a big swig of water and swallow. If you spew, you spew. No big deal. The main problem I think you are having is that you are trying to do it half way and are over thinking it.

cap10raygun
06-28-2012, 11:51 AM
I had this problem as well and it is definitely mental. We can swallow food 2-5 times bigger than a pill yet when it comes down to the actual pill, we struggle. I know if I think about it too long, I end up gagging. If you can get your mind off it, it might be easier for you to take it. Watch some tv or focus on something else and once that gagging feeling goes away, immediately take the pill. Another trick I found out that worked for me is I take a little piece of food and chew on it for a bit and then swallow. I then take the pill right after. For some reason, this gets my mind of taking the pill and kinda relaxes my throat (in my mind). Luckily I havent had too much trouble taking pills lately because I try not to over think it.

gashcader
06-28-2012, 12:00 PM
fill your mouth with water...float the pill in the water. pretend the pill isnt there. and then swallow the water as if the pill isnt there. if your nervous your tongue will try and grab it, and not let it down your throat. if its floating it won't

MakeABanana
06-28-2012, 12:06 PM
A chick taught me that if you hold your thumbs, you can suppress your gag reflex.

VicMackey92
06-28-2012, 12:31 PM
lol never buy universal product if you scared to swallow pill

but on a serious side , don't stress yourself , take a lot of water and swallow it

Heluva
06-28-2012, 12:33 PM
i take 2 OT + 1 fish oil at the same time with no problem.
what you should you is: get lots of water into your mouth, keep there and then swallow everything in one go, do it again but this time slip 1 OT in and swallow again.

NO HYPE
06-28-2012, 12:41 PM
I can swallow a gummy bear just fine and mouthfuls of food fine but my brain knows its a pill.

Put the tablets [not crushed] in something thick like yogurt, and swallow one at a time with enough yogurt to coat the rest of your mouth & throat prior to swallowing. This should make transit much smoother.

powercage
06-28-2012, 12:46 PM
Also try not to be so tense/apprehensive when taking them.

Anxiety increases a gag reflex.

Dewey99
06-28-2012, 12:50 PM
Wait for OT Gummy Vites...

demonwareltd
06-28-2012, 12:51 PM
My wife has a real hard time swallowing pills as well. She gets a full mouthful of OJ (she doesn't like water), then tilts head back and slides the pill into her mouth. One big swallow, then chase immediately with a bit more juice. I swallow entire animal paks at once so I never understood how this could be so hard. Of course, when I started taking supps, I too gagged frequently and came close to puking. It has to get easier if you can get over that initial hurdle...

justfive
06-28-2012, 01:20 PM
make sure to swallow it with a mouthfull of water. I pop the pill, load the water, and then swallow it all in a big gulp. make sure to have a good attitude about it too. if you can swallow food, then you can swallow pills. theyre not any bigger

kurtb2080
06-28-2012, 01:56 PM
Thank you guys for all of the valuable input! I really appreciate it! I will definitely give these ideas/tips a go and let you know.

Thank you for the support!

ChrisLS8
06-28-2012, 02:39 PM
I actually had this same problem. It was just something I had to do. I started off with small pills and just adding one more at a time as I was getting comfortable with it.

Make sure you use a bunch of water. If its a big enough gulp you won't even notice the pill.

Elliptical Envy
06-28-2012, 02:42 PM
This thread is Envy approved

ChrisLS8
06-28-2012, 02:54 PM
This thread is Envy approved

I was starting to worry my friend