PDA

View Full Version : How come college baseball is nowhere near as big as college football and basketball?

Getter_done
06-23-2012, 03:44 AM
Title.

rjordan562
06-23-2012, 03:53 AM
Generally considered a lot more boring.

CallMeB00M
06-23-2012, 03:59 AM
b0000ring

rjordan562
06-23-2012, 04:03 AM
I mean, I like MLB baseball, but I have zero desire to watch college baseball. I'm not much a fan of college sports in general, but I'm starting to watch CBB more to keep track of NBA prospects.

BigSnacks
06-23-2012, 06:24 AM
I love college baseball, but I'm nowhere near as passionate about it as I am college football. I don't know why. I think it might have something to do with the scheduling. With baseball, being played multiple/random days throughout the week, it might be hard to find the time to keep up with it regularly because of day-to-day operations/activities. But with NCAAF you know (and my family knows) that from Labor Day through the end of the year, every Saturday is game day. Also, because of this, you spend all week looking forward to that one day, so it builds up the anticipation.

Just something that occurred to me as I was responding to this thread...

*Edit - I work in downtown Columbia, right across from the USC campus, and the city is buzzing with the possibility of a threepeat. That definitely makes things more interesting.

Impurityz
06-23-2012, 06:28 AM
Because it is boring

pedobearu_aware
06-23-2012, 06:46 AM
$$$

monsterBEN
06-23-2012, 06:47 AM
The same reason the NFL and NBA are bigger than MLB.

89FoxBody
06-23-2012, 07:16 AM
Because most Americans have the attention span of a pack of Ramen noodles.

basejester
06-23-2012, 07:32 AM
Baseball has a minor league system. College basketball and football are those sports' minor leagues, from which we can expect players to quickly ascend to the NBA and NFL players

bbacn123
06-23-2012, 07:43 AM
Baseball has a minor league system. College basketball and football are those sports' minor leagues, from which we can expect players to quickly ascend to the NBA and NFL players

This

I spend enough time paying attention to my minor league affiliations. I really don't need to add in a college team too.

roadtrippin
06-23-2012, 07:49 AM
Because they use aluminum bats and that's lame as shiit.

folly412
06-23-2012, 07:54 AM

This.
College football - - > NFL.
College basketball - - > NBA.
College baseball - - > Rookie League - - > Low A - - > High A - - > AA - - > AAA - -> MLB.

Plus most international players and a fair number of American players go right to the minors. You get that talent in college for three years in football, and for American players the "one and dones" are a draw for college basketball.

Big_Spaz
06-23-2012, 09:00 AM
This

I spend enough time paying attention to my minor league affiliations. I really don't need to add in a college team too.

Agreed. Usually the "future stars" are already in some major league teams farm system. Very few play 4 years of college then get drafted, then go through the major league system, etc.

-Spaz

BigSnacks
06-23-2012, 09:41 AM
Agreed. Usually the "future stars" are already in some major league teams farm system. Very few play 4 years of college then get drafted, then go through the major league system, etc.

True. It is somewhat disheartening to watch a Jackie Bradley Jr come up and then lose track of him because he got dumped into a farm team...

PatrickBateman1
06-23-2012, 10:11 AM

This

These.

Football and basketball are very simple... High School ---> College ---> Pros. Baseball is a million times more complicated with all the community college teams, NCAA college teams, minor league affiliates, etc. Players just come from all over.

GetBigyo
06-23-2012, 10:25 AM
Like someone else said, it's because the MLB has a Minor League system.

Other than just enjoying it, a main reason people watch CFB/CBB, is because of seeing future stars and prospects grow. College Baseball has those guys, but they're most likely not getting drafted and then going straight to the pros other than a few guys. They just end up in the Minors.