PDA

View Full Version : New Hip Down the Road

debandmikeb
06-22-2012, 06:17 PM
Well, I went today for some input on my torn rotator cuff and after the MRI discovered that although it's not torn all the way through, I will need to fix it in the near future. What I did discover was that the hip pain that I've been enduring is because my hip joint has degenerated to bone-on-bone. No wonder it hurts. :) I don't need to get it done "right now" but I will need to get it replaced within the next year or so. I was hoping for Bursitis or Tendonitis but in the back of my mind I had a feeling that it was gonna be a replacement issue. I'm going in a week for an X-ray guided Cortisone shot, which should help some but I will still need to get it replaced.

My Dr. told me that it won't be as big of a recovery as my knee was four years ago but there will be some limitations 'till it's all healed.

So, if anyone has some stories of how well your hip replacement went, please share them. If you have any horror stories, I would appreciate it if you would keep them to yourself. :)

Thanks...

MIke

bustermac
04-16-2013, 01:02 PM
I'm half your age (mid-30s) and now going down this road towards replacement. I just had my first cortisone shot (x-ray guided) to try to delay surgery as long as possible because of my age. I have a nasty condition called avascular necrosis...my ball joints have collapsed on top. The pain came suddenly about a month ago. Had MRI and it's on both sides and too late to repair...must be replaced if the injections don't help me live with it.

I've also had arthritis since I was a small child that contributed to my hips breaking down so early. I've had to stop all heavy lifts with the lower body...no deads or squats any more. I hate it. I was starting to get some great results finally.

debandmikeb
04-16-2013, 05:51 PM
Actually, perfect timing to reply in this thread. I'm having my hip done tomorrow (17th) and I'm very excited to have the opportunity to finally be pain free. These past few months have been quite a test for me. What movement that I do have is pretty painful and my activity has been limited to bed>>>recliner>>>bathroom>>>recliner again. Not much fun but in 24 hours, that'll be in the past and I'll be mobile again.
It seems that the recovery time for a hip job is fairly short. Out of bed the next day and walking. I had my knee done five years ago...this is gonna be a breeze. :)
Good luck with your procedure.

Mike

oxx1973
04-16-2013, 06:06 PM
For those who are going under the knife for a hip replacement, there are many great success stories. I am rep for one of the bigger orthopedic device companies and my 2 cents worth would be to have a doc do your surgery, not his fellow or resident. Next, if you can, find a doc who is comfortable doing the anterior supine approach vs the posterior lateral approach. It is less invasive and will allow to recover faster.