PDA

View Full Version : Losing weight - I want to do it as fast and proper as possible

splatto
06-19-2012, 11:19 PM
Hello,

I joined a gym in January with the dual goal of losing a lot of weight and gaining a lot of muscle. I'm concerned about losing weight too fast - I've been told that the negative repercussions of losing weight too fast are a messed up metabolism that will gain weight back FAST, and loose skin that will never go away except through surgery.

For an idea of where I started and what my goals are, see the bodyspace profile of a user named "larrysmojo" (I don't have enough posts to be allowed to post links yet)
Larry started out at about my same weight, and his is the look I essentially want to have.

Here are the results of my checkins:

Feb 4: 261lbs, 33% BF
April 23: 250lbs, 31.2% BF
June 4: 243lbs, 29.8% BF
June 18: 232lbs, 27.7% BF

You will notice the big difference in the last two weeks. This can be attributed to an immaculate diet and the addition of 3-4 treadmill interval (incline+ speed) runs per week, each 45 mins in length, in addition to my weight training.

I currently don't have any loose skin, thankfully, and when I get a bit sloppy on the food for a meal I don't balloon up. So do I have anything to worry about? Thoughts?

Anyway...what are your thoughts?

JasonDB
06-19-2012, 11:26 PM
Just use the math in the stickies to calculate your nutritional needs. Once you establish your TDEE, and minimum fat and protein requirements, hit those numbers and run the caloric deficit below your TDEE that will hit your goals. 500 calories under will drop around a lbs a week a week, 1,000 under around 2 lbs.

Also good to see a general trend in downward bodyfat but don't take those measurements as gospel. You've been training for 6 months and have 167 lbs of LBM at 5'11", so clearly those are inaccurate, but as long as they are consistently inaccurate at least you can track the downward trend in body fat.

splatto
06-19-2012, 11:37 PM
Thanks Jason. Just a couple questions - What do you mean 'the math in the stickies'? Also why is 167 lbs LBM at 5'11 inaccurate?
Pardon my ignorance, there's just so much I'm trying to learn

JasonDB
06-19-2012, 11:46 PM
Thanks Jason. Just a couple questions - What do you mean 'the math in the stickies'? Also why is 167 lbs LBM at 5'11 inaccurate?
Pardon my ignorance, there's just so much I'm trying to learn

Because 167 lbs of LBM is enough that if you were to diet down to 190 lbs 90% of the population would assume you are using drugs, you could do pretty well in natural bodybuilding shows at about 170 lbs and I would expect you to be benching 300 lbs, squating 400 and deadlifting at least 500 with that amount of muscle mass. Your lean body mass would be more indicative of someone with 3+ years of very heavy consistent training.

The stickies (the stickies at the top of the nutrition forum), contain all the formulas and calculators (written by people with graduate degrees in sports nutrition) to determine your average daily caloric burn and your minimum nutritional needs. That is your best starting point for answering your question as they answer it better than any person could who doesn't know your stats, day to day activity etc. Basically you are asking others to find out all that information and go to the formulas and do math for you. I've told you where to go to do the math yourself and how to use it to reach your specific fat loss goals.

admirza
06-20-2012, 01:11 AM
Because 167 lbs of LBM is enough that if you were to diet down to 190 lbs 90% of the population would assume you are using drugs, you could do pretty well in natural bodybuilding shows at about 170 lbs and I would expect you to be benching 300 lbs, squating 400 and deadlifting at least 500 with that amount of muscle mass.

Woah! I am about 180 lbs LBM and I bench 215 with a spotter...I dead lift the same...is that bad?

JasonDB
06-20-2012, 01:22 AM
Woah! I am about 180 lbs LBM and I bench 215 with a spotter...I dead lift the same...is that bad?

Looked at your pics no way you have 180 lbs of LBM, not meaning that as an insult, just saying you don't.

5'10" about 185 lbs in this picture (Nico Elia... aka Milone79):
http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/img/user_images/growable/2011/11/24/27106571/profilepic/1BwFKbMQlLaEZ0OpYwxGZHQytlot870p.jpeg
Do you think you have more muscle mass than he does? If not your body composition measurements are very inaccurate. Again there is nothing wrong with using them to track changes in body composition if they are consistently inaccurate. Meaning if the same method/person measuring is used every time and they measure you at 25%bf but you are really 35% then later at 23% when you are in reality 33%, they are still giving you an accurate trend in changes. However people who do not have a massive training foundation who are 6' and under claiming 170 or 180 lbs of LBM isn't realistic and should be a sign that the body composition measurements are not accurate.

I myself think I have around 175 lbs of LBM, bench 300ish, deadlift 545, front squat 315, squat 425, strict standing press 190, and honestly my lifts are not particularly impressive for my size (there are smaller guys who are stronger on every one of those lifts). So these things need to put into perspective when comparing LBM.

admirza
06-20-2012, 01:42 AM
Looked at your pics no way you have 180 lbs of LBM, not meaning that as an insult, just saying you don't.

you could definitely be right...I got Bio Impedance checked at 33% last year...since then I haven't lost much weight but my measurements have changed...got caliper test 3 months back came at 28%...the pictures in my profile are old so they don't do me justice..For now I could only wish I have as much muscles as Nico to keep me at least motivated until I actually do..lol...only time will tell once I lose the fat...I'll keep you posted

AlwaysTryin
06-20-2012, 01:44 AM
you could definitely be right...I got Bio Impedance checked at 33% last year...since then I haven't lost much weight but my measurements have changed...got caliper test 3 months back came at 28%...the pictures in my profile are old so they don't do me justice..For now I could only wish I have as much muscles as Nico to keep me at least motivated until I actually do..lol...only time will tell once I lose the fat...I'll keep you posted

that's your issue

EXTREMELY inaccurate, you may as well just pick a random number

admirza
06-20-2012, 01:52 AM
that's your issue

well I guess that's what I did...lol...tell me about it...that's all we have here in Saudi Arabia...the gyms here don't even measure BF and I don't think any medical facilities carry out hydrostatic testing...planning to visit US this Christmas so will get a Bod Pod done...will need you guys to help me find a place that can in New York

JasonDB
06-20-2012, 02:07 AM
that's your issue

Yeah my digital scale has a bioimpedance on it. Yesterday it showed 42% bf and today 38%... I lost 4% bf overnight. I ignore that function of the scale as bioimpedance is known for being so innacurate that it can call a 20%bf person anything from 8% to 45%. It just picks random numbers I think.

WonderPug
06-20-2012, 02:23 AM
On a technical point, you might actually have more LBM than Nico (in that photo), but you almost certainly have much less skeletal muscle than he does.

LBM is all FFM, not just dry muscle mass. It even includes water weight.

JasonDB
06-20-2012, 02:27 AM
On a technical point, you might actually have more LBM than Nico (in that photo), but you almost certainly have much less skeletal muscle than he does.

LBM is all FFM, not just dry muscle mass. It even includes water weight.

The water weight is a point I did not factor in, thank you for bringing that up. The OP probably should note in his trend that even thoguh he feels he gained muscle and has been working out he consistently lost LBM with the weight, which is most likely water weight loss.

WonderPug
06-20-2012, 02:30 AM
^ Mogwai syndrome in the rotund makes LBM less useful as a proxy for skeletal muscle mass ;)

admirza
06-20-2012, 02:32 AM
good point WP...just remembered I had 100lbs of Skeletal Muscle Mass which I did not understand at that time...anyway I have along way to go regardless of all that...learned some good stuff today..thanks WP and JDB..sorry OP for hijacking your thread.

splatto
06-20-2012, 08:16 AM
The last time I went down to 180 lbs was in 2004. I had a lot less muscle on me then, and I looked like death; like I was a skeleton. My face was all sucked in, etc. My LBM and BF were measured at the gym by my personal trainer. My scale at home also has that function but I trust it less. I may trust the gym measurements less as well now.

Anyway, am I losing weight too fast? 30 lbs in 4 months? What about if we ignore the first measurement and just use the last three - that's 18lbs in 2 months.
I've figured out how to lose weight, my trainer is happy with what I'm eating and the exercises I'm doing, but it was suggested to me that I'm losing weight much too fast and I'm going to have to deal with loose skin that can only be dealt with through surgery. What do you make of this?

Thanks everyone for all the information so far

Ghosting
06-20-2012, 09:26 AM
If losing "weight" is your goal, go vegan.

*ba dum tiss*

Disregard my bad joke. :D

splatto
06-21-2012, 09:24 AM
If losing "weight" is your goal, go vegan.

*ba dum tiss*

Disregard my bad joke. :D

My goal is to loose fat mass and to gain muscle mass. My concern is loose skin.

Tm1212
06-21-2012, 10:36 AM
My goal is to loose fat mass and to gain muscle mass. My concern is loose skin.

Well see the goal is at least to some degree unachieveable. If are in a calorie deficit you will lose muscle and fat. If you want to increase muscle you need a calorie surplus. I am not sure if this holds as true for someone of your size (you might be able to lose say a 1/2 lb a week without losing much muscle, but I am sure youll lose some muscle mass if you are managing to lose 2 lbs a week).

Personally I was once a fat 230 lbs and found it much more satisfying to cut to 170 lbs and start cycles of cutting and bulking. At 170 to 180, I could see results, at 230 I could not (had very little muscle to begin with). Also I have no excess skin. Skin is versitale and can tighten with weight lose, but genetics will determine this. Nothing you can really do if you end up with some saggy skin except fill it with muscle many years down the road or have surgery (which I consider a cheat only acceptable for women but to each their own).

hilltopper1993
06-21-2012, 10:36 AM
I've heard bioelectric impedance is pretty crappy as well, but I have had bioelectric impedance, as well as caliper tests done, along with experienced lifters BF estimates and they were all the same to within 1%.

I guess im just lucky like that, because they are consistently the same :D