PDA

View Full Version : Jump Starting Cut?

Rjeezie
06-19-2012, 06:06 PM
I'm wondering... when cutting, does anybody lower their caloric intake real low for a few days to "jump start" the cutting process? Heard this before, but just wondering if it's logical.

Rjeezie
06-19-2012, 10:09 PM
Guess nobody does this or it's not a good idea

pi1ot
06-19-2012, 10:53 PM
I believe in "averages" .. I don't think it will really make much statistical difference whether you do it or not. After 30 days of cutting, will 2 days at the very beginning at very low calories do much vs. cutting and ending up at the same average deficit over 30 days, I doubt it.

Cupcak3d
06-19-2012, 11:00 PM
You're not a car. :p

JVRICHARDS
06-20-2012, 01:08 AM
I'm wondering... when cutting, does anybody lower their caloric intake real low for a few days to "jump start" the cutting process? Heard this before, but just wondering if it's logical.

Speaking from personal experience, the first few days of a cut were always the hardest for me, and any drastic changes in my diet in the initial days resulted in me being miserable and having 'just one Oreo (x20)'.

tomdave
06-20-2012, 04:33 AM
Just get started on your calorie deficit like normal. Drastic changes don't seem to provide any benefit mentally or physiologically.

BIGandSTRONG
06-20-2012, 07:21 AM
I dont think that it will help much in terms of metabolic changes and it wont make you lose weight any faster, however I do think that it will have some psychological benefits over the long run and make the cut seem easier to you.

After 2-3 days of extreme deficit, following that up with 500 calorie deficit days should seem really easy. I guess that this method would be beneficial if you have a limited time frame for losing weight (like 2 months before a big event or something). Since you will have a higher caloric deficit for the first week of cutting, you might lose about a pound more during that week compared to a traditional calorie deficit cut. Thats about the only difference though.

Note that I dont actually have any experience with this type of cut its just my opinion

tjwoody
06-20-2012, 07:52 AM
Pers I did for 3 or 4 days but then realized I was coming from an injury and even though while injured I ate and ate and binged I thought how i was also starting the gym back up after a month off and my body could prob use the cals to help recover.

but in the end progress in itself is a great motivator so if u think a few days of low cals will show some progress then i say why not.

scotchchris
06-20-2012, 08:45 AM
I think the best part of an extreme diet for 3-5 days is that it gets you off any junk food/excess sugar you might of had during a bulk. It can make it easier to sustain a nice steady cut for the weeks after. If you can handle the initial part it gives you confidence keeping up the rest of the diet

cyco85
06-20-2012, 09:15 AM
Great way to drop water drastically, other than that, no real benefit IMO