PDA

View Full Version : Female Ingenuity!

SP1966
06-19-2012, 09:38 AM
Sorry ladies, but I really enjoy the female driver stereotype, except when they are in front of me! :)

H1fJfKlHGjw

mslman71
06-19-2012, 09:43 AM
Damn that's painful to watch.

I should post a picture of my [blonde] 65 year old mother backing a 30 foot gooseneck horse trailer into a bay with 3" to spare on either side at full speed. She's had to bail me out a few times getting equipment in and out of the shed storage bays. She may be the only one who can redeem the species ;)

IronCharles
06-19-2012, 01:35 PM
Too bad no man was around to help! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTKFaBvW6oc

Simpy
06-19-2012, 01:42 PM
Thank the lord that second one was cute.

IronCharles
06-19-2012, 02:03 PM
Damn that's painful to watch.

I should post a picture of my [blonde] 65 year old mother backing a 30 foot gooseneck horse trailer into a bay with 3" to spare on either side at full speed. She's had to bail me out a few times getting equipment in and out of the shed storage bays. She may be the only one who can redeem the species ;)I hate to admit it, but my wife is also better at trailer parking than I am. I usually volunteer to be the one out back doing the hand signalling. :o

Kraken
06-19-2012, 02:07 PM
I am not sure how accurate this is, but they say that men tend to me "aware of spaces".

HairyScandinavian
06-19-2012, 02:13 PM
I understand some people are better than others at doing certain things, but I just don't understand how anyone who does something every single day for years (driving) can be so poorly skilled at it.

Having said that, here's a strange one. I enjoy watching my wife backup the truck/boat trailer while we launch the boat, in and out and leave all the dumb rednecks at the ramp feeling stupid as they're all lined up struggling with their rigs... but this woman has driven into not one but TWO stationary objects over the years, a freaking concrete wall and a light pole in a parking lot. I just don't get it...

IronCharles
06-19-2012, 02:16 PM
http://shechive.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/girl_bike_drift_park.gif

Kraken
06-19-2012, 02:16 PM
Maybe that space deal has some merit to it. Perhaps a woman can have a better sense of the way a trailer angles and responds to steering, but isn't as aware of spaces like a man?

mslman71
06-19-2012, 02:24 PM
I hate to admit it, but my wife is also better at trailer parking than I am. I usually volunteer to be the one out back doing the hand signalling. :o

Bass boat on the ramp I can hook in and straighten up in a few seconds. Big blind rigs, you just have to have experience doing it. I can get it right with a few tries but keeping that much metal lined up with minimal visibility is tough. Practice practice.

Having said that, here's a strange one. I enjoy watching my wife backup the truck/boat trailer while we launch the boat, in and out and leave all the dumb rednecks at the ramp feeling stupid as they're all lined up struggling with their rigs... but this woman has driven into not one but TWO stationary objects over the years, a freaking concrete wall and a light pole in a parking lot. I just don't get it...

Maybe that space deal has some merit to it. Perhaps a woman can have a better sense of the way a trailer angles and responds to steering, but isn't as aware of spaces like a man?

My experience on the boat ramps has been exactly the opposite. I've had to politely offer assistance more than a time or two to un jack-knife rigs being put in my women, and for some reason they can manage to use up 2/3 of a 3 slot ramp every single time. I never minded getting to the ramp first thing in the morning since most of the people seemed to know how to make quick business of it, but coming back around lunch is a nightmare as all the recreational boaters are invariably f'in up the ramp space. Again, probably just a matter of experience.

HairyScandinavian
06-19-2012, 02:27 PM
My experience on the boat ramps has been exactly the opposite. I've had to politely offer assistance more than a time or two to un jack-knife rigs being put in my women, and for some reason they can manage to use up 2/3 of a 3 slot ramp every single time. I never minded getting to the ramp first thing in the morning since most of the people seemed to know how to make quick business of it, but coming back around lunch is a nightmare as all the recreational boaters are invariably f'in up the ramp space. Again, probably just a matter of experience.

Oh yeah, she's had practice of course.

IronCharles
06-19-2012, 02:27 PM
Maybe that space deal has some merit to it. Perhaps a woman can have a better sense of the way a trailer angles and responds to steering, but isn't as aware of spaces like a man?It's been proven that women think differently than men in some regards. They say that men are more analytical, while women think more in abstract terms. It's possible that in trailer backing, the man is too busy calculating angles in his mind, while the woman just forms a picture in her brain of where the trailer is supposed to end up. There was a book about the differences between the sexes a while back.... Men are from Mars, and Women are from Uranus... or something like that.

http://images.corvetteforum.com/images/smilies/leaving.gif

Brackneyc
06-19-2012, 02:28 PM
My experience on the boat ramps has been exactly the opposite. I've had to politely offer assistance more than a time or two to un jack-knife rigs being put in my women, and for some reason they can manage to use up 2/3 of a 3 slot ramp every single time.

Sounds like an interesting day at the boat ramp....:D

Damn those typos. :D

IronCharles
06-19-2012, 02:31 PM

Damn those typos. :DBut what if it wasn't really a typo after all! :eek: :eek: :D

stephanielynn76
06-19-2012, 02:32 PM
Woman with a faulty depth perception checking in. I really wish I didn't fit this stereotype but I do. I'm not the best driver and would rather find someone else to ride with rather than drive anywhere myself. I bumped this old guy's truck trying to park in the gym parking lot last year... paid out of my pocket for all the damages. feelsbadman.jpg

hammerfelt
06-19-2012, 02:52 PM
I have trouble backing up trailers as well. Shorter the wheel base of the trailer the harder it becomes.

thepowerwithin
06-19-2012, 02:57 PM
Dontcha have to parallel park to get your license? How in the world did they pass? :confused:

Kraken
06-19-2012, 02:57 PM
I have trouble backing up trailers as well. Shorter the wheel base of the trailer the harder it becomes.

I have a landscaping trailer. That thing can be a REAL hassle at times. That short wheel base will snap that trailer around so fast at times. lol Meanwhile, my father's camper is gravy backing it up. Just have to be more aware of surroundings. I have had a couple patients who were run over my campers and horse trailers...not pretty.

HairyScandinavian
06-19-2012, 03:02 PM
I used to park my boat(s) in the backyard next to the house, have to back all the way down the culdesac and then around my water meter with a hard angle cut to the side of the driveway then through the gate with maybe 1.5" on each side of the wheels while not letting the front of the truck come back across the water meter. I got pretty good at it, rarely ever took it out of reverse. :)

SP1966
06-19-2012, 03:56 PM
I learned to back up a trailer exceptionally well while in the Marines. Its a skill you will learn when you spend so much time towing aircraft around where you have two pivot points! A single pivot trailer is cake after that.

And whats with the hijack? Lets get back to the intended misogyny! ;)

latebloomingmom
06-19-2012, 04:02 PM
It's been proven that women think differently than men in some regards. They say that men are more analytical, while women think more in abstract terms. It's possible that in trailer backing, the man is too busy calculating angles in his mind, while the woman just forms a picture in her brain of where the trailer is supposed to end up. There was a book about the differences between the sexes a while back.... Men are from Mars, and Women are from Uranus... or something like that.

http://images.corvetteforum.com/images/smilies/leaving.gifJupitor.....:(
can I parallel park? yep
back up a trailer? yep
back up a boat? Yep

do I like to do any of the above? Hell no.

kenhorse
06-19-2012, 04:07 PM
I hate to admit it, but my wife is also better at trailer parking than I am. I usually volunteer to be the one out back doing the hand signalling. :o
my wife can back a horse trailer like it is nothing, but i drive it better (she is not gentle enough on the brakes)

mslman71
06-19-2012, 04:41 PM

Damn those typos. :D

LOL, good catch.. paging Dr. Freud..