PDA

View Full Version : First time counting cals, Could someone tell me if I'm on the right track?

RGpinili
06-18-2012, 07:22 AM
Cutting.

5'9" Age: 22
Body Fat guestimate: 16%
Weight: earlier today: 160lbs

Basically I need to eat: 1876 calories per day.
Do not exceed: 2,076
At 160lbs I need 79-114g's of protein per day
32grams of fat *.4g/ LBM

Attached is a pic of my first food log.

I think I've met my protein and fat macro needs for the day. Someone told me I could just eat junk food for the rest of the cals because I haven't met 1800 yet, but I just didn't eat anything. Basically, he also said that once meeting the fat and protein macro needs, carbs are irrelevant.

Would that also mean, once I meet protein and fat macro needs, it's alright NOT to reach 1800?!

It would be such a relief if someone would just tell me what I'm doing wrong and how I can correct it. I'm just not sure I'm on the right track.

WonderPug
06-18-2012, 07:33 AM
Your diet is acutely deficient in total energy and in dietary fat. It's also deficient in protein given how acute your energy deficit is.

To learn how to compose a proper diet, please see:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136691851

P.S. Cutting at your height and weight would likely result in a terrible outcome. You need to bulk.

germaine07
06-18-2012, 08:15 AM
You need more around 160g of protein and about 70g of fat.

And judging from your age and size, I say you could cut on a lot more than 1800Kcal. What is your TDEE and how did you work it out?

ironlifestyle6
06-18-2012, 08:22 AM
Cutting.

5'9" Age: 22
Body Fat guestimate: 16%
Weight: earlier today: 160lbs

Basically I need to eat: 1876 calories per day.
Do not exceed: 2,076
At 160lbs I need 79-114g's of protein per day
32grams of fat *.4g/ LBM

Attached is a pic of my first food log.

I think I've met my protein and fat macro needs for the day. Someone told me I could just eat junk food for the rest of the cals because I haven't met 1800 yet, but I just didn't eat anything. Basically, he also said that once meeting the fat and protein macro needs, carbs are irrelevant.

Would that also mean, once I meet protein and fat macro needs, it's alright NOT to reach 1800?!

It would be such a relief if someone would just tell me what I'm doing wrong and how I can correct it. I'm just not sure I'm on the right track.

In all honesty you WILL get the best answer from the stickies for this question. It is always nice to get feed back from other people. Always start with the stickies man. They will help you out more than you know.

RGpinili
06-18-2012, 03:25 PM
In all honesty you WILL get the best answer from the stickies for this question. It is always nice to get feed back from other people. Always start with the stickies man. They will help you out more than you know.

I had a couple posts on stickies, but they were either skipped or ignored :[
So I figured I'd start a new thread, I didn't feel like this thread has been done before because this one has my own personal food log.

Your diet is acutely deficient in total energy and in dietary fat. It's also deficient in protein given how acute your energy deficit is.

P.S. Cutting at your height and weight would likely result in a terrible outcome. You need to bulk.

Coming from 210lbs this Jan, just want to keep cutting till I see abdominals. Then I'll probably bulk up :]

You need more around 160g of protein and about 70g of fat.

And judging from your age and size, I say you could cut on a lot more than 1800Kcal. What is your TDEE and how did you work it out?

I believe my TDEE is my maintenance so that's 2076. Used Katch-McArdle, I didn't bother with the daily activity level because everything is just an estimate anyway.

When you say I can cut a lot "more" than 1800" You're sayin around 1500?

Got the p/f wrong! No wonder I was feeling kinda dizzy this morning, thanks man for all the answers.

germaine07
06-18-2012, 04:56 PM
I believe my TDEE is my maintenance so that's 2076. Used Katch-McArdle, I didn't bother with the daily activity level because everything is just an estimate anyway.

When you say I can cut a lot "more" than 1800" You're sayin around 1500?

Got the p/f wrong! No wonder I was feeling kinda dizzy this morning, thanks man for all the answers.
The Katch McArdle gives you your BMR. This is how many calories you burn at rest. That means just for your body to function if you slept all day. You must multiply this by an activity factor to give you your TDEE (maintenance).

And by more I mean like 2200Kcal.

RGpinili
06-18-2012, 07:38 PM
The Katch McArdle gives you your BMR. This is how many calories you burn at rest. That means just for your body to function if you slept all day. You must multiply this by an activity factor to give you your TDEE (maintenance).

And by more I mean like 2200Kcal.

ended up using a diff formula for bmr:

66+(13.7x80)+(5x175)-(6.8x22) = 1,887 BMR

1.55 for moderate active

1887 x 1.55 = 2924 TDEE

that sounds like too much food, my brain is tellin me I'll gain weight if I eat that much.

JaredPunch
06-18-2012, 07:58 PM
ended up using a diff formula for bmr:

66+(13.7x80)+(5x175)-(6.8x22) = 1,887 BMR

1.55 for moderate active

1887 x 1.55 = 2924 TDEE

that sounds like too much food, my brain is tellin me I'll gain weight if I eat that much.

Are you really moderately active?
If you lift weight, even 5 days a week for 45 minutes and do cardio but spend the rest of your day sitting or strolling, you're still light active not moderate active
So you would multiply your BMR for 1.35 or something

Also the best formula to calculate your BMR is the Mifflin one, Harris-Benedict is known to overestimate calories by 10%
Your BMR according to the Mifflin equation is 1720 calories. 1720 x 1.35 = 2322
So 2400 seems a more likely TDEE for you, unless you have a job that requires you to be active during the day

Decrease 20% of calories to cut, that's 480 calories
Total is 1920 calories

I disagree about you being in extreme need of a cut, you're not that light for your height and probably have muscles under the fat
I also disagree about you needing to up your calories to 2200 to cut, that would be too close to your maintenance

More or less you would cut with 2000 calories, maintain with 2500 calories and bulk with 3000 calories
This is consistent with similar figures I have seen from guys of your similar height and weight