PDA

View Full Version : Taking professional pics

bodyhard
06-16-2012, 08:15 AM
I know this has happen to quite a few people that I know and I am sure on here as well.

You look at yourself (in the mirror, on video), people see you as well, you see yourself one way then you take a picture and your muscles are washed out somehow, someway.

Obviously it is all dependent on the camera, lighting, angle, shade etc etc.

So I was thinking, for once I would like to take professional pics, to see me at my best. The thing is in all my life I have never ever taken a professional picture. I have no family portraits, special events, nothing so I am clueless with this.

So quick question before I google this sh!t, what is roughly the cost of this? And is it worth it just to see a true picture of one self?

djflex
06-16-2012, 08:19 AM
Glamor shot?

Not srs...

Would be cool if not expensive

bodyhard
06-16-2012, 09:32 AM
Glamor shot?

Not srs...

Would be cool if not expensive

Glamor shot? Call it what you want, I unlike most here have no shame in my game.

I work out, I like what I see, I am conceited, wait not conceited I am convinced. I want to see how good I look in pictures, you just can't hide perfection, but in my case my sh!tty camera does.

mslman71
06-16-2012, 09:33 AM
So quick question before I google this sh!t, what is roughly the cost of this? And is it worth it just to see a true picture of one self?

... my wife has hired a professional photographer to do the whole family a couple of times. They basically took hundreds pictures and two or three in a set of a 50 or more would be really good (granted this included dealing with toddlers). I think prices were in the hundreds of dollars range plus cost of prints or digital data.

bodyhard
06-16-2012, 09:35 AM
... my wife has hired a professional photographer to do the whole family a couple of times. They basically took hundreds pictures and two or three in a set of a 50 or more would be really good (granted this included dealing with toddlers). I think prices were in the hundreds of dollars range plus cost of prints or digital data.

Stupid question, but do you think each photographer concentrates on different aspect? Meaning some do children, others do models, some do furniture etc etc?

mslman71
06-16-2012, 09:39 AM
Stupid question, but do you think each photographer concentrates on different aspect? Meaning some do children, others do models, some do furniture etc etc?

I don't know. It's more my wife's thing. My guess is they do whatever they can get paid to do, perhaps doing some better than others. I think most of them have portfolios and you can examine their previous work and see if there's a style you like best.

bodyhard
06-16-2012, 09:42 AM
I don't know. It's more my wife's thing. My guess is they do whatever they can get paid to do, perhaps doing some better than others. I think most of them have portfolios and you can examine their previous work and see if there's a style you like best.

Thanks man, I think I want black and whites and of course color. But more importantly I want full body pics that don't wash out my hard earn f'cking muscles.

EuphoricRage
06-16-2012, 09:42 AM
My wife used to be a photographer and as already stated in can cost hundreds of dollars. I think a reputable photographer would be able to give you what you want no matter what their expertise is. I would ask to see their work so you know if they've ever taken the type of pics you want.

bodyhard
06-16-2012, 09:44 AM
My wife used to be a photographer and as already stated in can cost hundreds of dollars. I think a reputable photographer would be able to give you what you want no matter what their expertise is. I would ask to see their work so you know if they've ever taken the type of pics you want.

Pardon my ignorance on the subject, but would I have to go to their studio or some sh!t?

mslman71
06-16-2012, 09:45 AM
Thanks man, I think I want black and whites and of course color. But more importantly I want full body pics that don't wash out my hard earn f'cking muscles.

If you go to them they should have the lightning sources and tricks you could ever want to get the right look. That will make 90% of the difference in the quality of shots. If they come to you they'll bring some but I'm betting you'll get the best results at their studio, if they have one.

bodyhard
06-16-2012, 09:50 AM
Thanks guys I will start researching this, look for professional pics of me soon! They will be posted all over the f'cking net! :D

djflex
06-16-2012, 09:53 AM
Glamor shot? Call it what you want, I unlike most here have no shame in my game.

I work out, I like what I see, I am conceited, wait not conceited I am convinced. I want to see how good I look in pictures, you just can't hide perfection, but in my case my sh!tty camera does.

Lolz glamor shot was joke man, you dont remember those?

Bh, it might be cool to get a couple black and white shots. You know kinda like the classic bbers....just a thought

bodyhard
06-16-2012, 09:57 AM

Bh, it might be cool to get a couple black and white shots. You know kinda like the classic bbers....just a thought

I know you were joking, but I was referring to folks who hate to take pics of themselves because they say it is too shallow. :rolleyes: You know what I tell those folks? You don't take pics, because you look like sh!t, period.

It is like saying "beauty is skin deep" ending it with, "that is just something ugly people say" :D :D

Nikonguy
06-16-2012, 09:58 AM
Some photographers are good at a variety of types of photography but in general you want to make sure a photographer show examples that they did of the type of work you want.

I was great at weddings, potraits of adults, portraits of families with teen children but I was terrible (with a few exceptions) with kids under about 12. I never promoted myself in an area I wasn't interested in or was not good at.

For physique photographs you have the advantage of knowing how to pose and with digital photography you can check poses as you go along.

As far as family portraits go let the women select the photographer. (Very serious)

bodyhard
06-16-2012, 10:00 AM
Some photographers are good at a variety of types of photography but in general you want to make sure a photographer show examples that they did of the type of work you want.

I was great at weddings, potraits of adults, portraits of families with teen children but I was terrible (with a few exceptions) with kids under about 12. I never promoted myself in an area I wasn't interested in or was not good at.

For physique photographs you have the advantage of knowing how to pose and with digital photography you can check poses as you go along.

As far as family portraits go let the women select the photographer. (Very serious)

Not planing on doing any family portraits this is just for me, me, me! :D :D

Karl_Hungus
06-16-2012, 10:03 AM
I know a few on here have some pretty impressive professional pics taken. One that comes to mind is MM ... dude looks incredible in some of those shots.

It is like saying "beauty is skin deep" ending it with, "that is just something ugly people say" :D :D

I dunno ... I bet if you tore off all of their skin, they wouldn't be beautiful anymore. ;)

Nikonguy
06-16-2012, 10:05 AM
Not planing on doing any family portraits this is just for me, me, me! :D :D

Got it, mis-read part of your first post.

EuphoricRage
06-16-2012, 10:06 AM
Pardon my ignorance on the subject, but would I have to go to their studio or some sh!t?

Yes it would be best. As Mslman said, they have the everything they need in their studio and the lighting makes the pics. Looking forward to seeing them.

Big_Sky_Guy
06-16-2012, 10:14 AM
Go with someone who has a good portfolio of fitness type shots. May seem obvious, but shooting the body is quite different than shooting a portrait.

We have always preferred shooting outdoors. More work and time, but it is natural.

Find someone you connect with as it will make it a better overall experience. Know which shots you definitely want taken. Be flexible with other shots the photog wants to take as they understand pleasing shapes and how to capture them.

I have no doubt you will make it fun!

2nd_chance
06-16-2012, 10:16 AM
Pardon my ignorance on the subject, but would I have to go to their studio or some sh!t?No they would come and do it in your bathroom lol.

2nd_chance
06-16-2012, 10:19 AM
Thanks guys I will start researching this, look for professional pics of me soon! They will be posted all over the f'cking net! :DJohn, I know lots of people set dates for these photo shoots, like 8-12 weeks out and then train for it like a comp. They show up looking shredded and they have lots of professional pictures to validate their hard work. If I was going to do it, that's what I would do also.

-=FLEX=-
06-16-2012, 10:41 AM
Glamor shot?

I know you were joking, but I was referring to folks who hate to take pics of themselves because they say it is too shallow. :rolleyes: You know what I tell those folks? You don't take pics, because you look like sh!t, period.

bh, are you really that unawarz? U need to get out of Brooklyn once in a while. :)

Glamour Shots is a franchise of photo studios usually found in shopping malls where ugly chicks go and get their hair done and cake on tons of makeup and get pics taken so they look better.

http://www.glamourshots.com/

Tifflex
06-16-2012, 10:55 AM
Go with someone who has a good portfolio of fitness type shots. May seem obvious, but shooting the body is quite different than shooting a portrait.

We have always preferred shooting outdoors. More work and time, but it is natural.

Find someone you connect with as it will make it a better overall experience. Know which shots you definitely want taken. Be flexible with other shots the photog wants to take as they understand pleasing shapes and how to capture them.

I have no doubt you will make it fun!

^^^this
Contact local bodybuilding promoters as they should give you names of good photographers. I have no doubt yours will look great!

tmonkey
06-16-2012, 11:41 AM

yes - for sure

You can do it a lot of different ways. The person taking the picture is the most important thing then you can do what you like best but i would do some studio for sure as you will get the best lighting to show off muscle for sure in the controlled studio.

If you want to put up with some bull**** you could join mm and get free shots - some will be good and others will be worth what you pay for them. The more time you spend looking at people's ports to match what you want the better chance you have of getting some good shots.

crupiea
06-16-2012, 04:06 PM
If you have a pr take your pics then you will be under perfect lighting with the perfect pose from the exact right angle.

Is that really how others see you?

If you are like most people, others see you just as you.

You could take pro pics but thats not really how you look.

kimm4
06-16-2012, 07:00 PM
^^^this
Contact local bodybuilding promoters as they should give you names of good photographers. I have no doubt yours will look great!

This for sure.^^

There should be plenty of them in NY. A lot of these photographers will meet you at any location to do a shoot. Summer is here and you could probably do a nice outdoor shoot.

Travis99
06-16-2012, 07:13 PM
You're in NYC dude. Plenty of great photographers there. Friends of mine actually. It'll cost some cash if you want anything good. Remember just because someone has a nice camera doesn't make them professional.

Find someone who has a style you like set up an appointment, pay the deposit and set up a shoot. Let the artist come up with the ideas, you should have a little input but the pros will make you happy. Just trust the photographer.

If you can't tell, I am a pro photographer.

bodyhard
06-16-2012, 07:17 PM
Thanks for all the reply guys, I am shopping around.

bh, are you really that unawarz? U need to get out of Brooklyn once in a while. :)

Glamour Shots is a franchise of photo studios usually found in shopping malls where ugly chicks go and get their hair done and cake on tons of makeup and get pics taken so they look better.

http://www.glamourshots.com/

1st I am from Da Bronx not Brooklyn, 2nd I was unaware :)

-=FLEX=-
06-16-2012, 07:18 PM
1st I am from Da Bronx not Brooklyn

My bad. :D

ClinicallyBored
06-16-2012, 07:22 PM
jlanceimaging. In Williamsburg Brooklyn. Cream of the crop.

Oceanside
06-16-2012, 08:55 PM
The thing is in all my life I have never ever taken a professional picture. I have no family portraits, special events, nothing so I am clueless with this.

you made up for it...

you have a lot of pics !

.........:)..............

bodyhard
06-16-2012, 09:08 PM
you made up for it...

you have a lot of pics !

.........:)..............

Yeah but they are not professional ;)

Oceanside
06-16-2012, 09:18 PM
Yeah but they are not professional ;)