PDA

View Full Version : A good town to raise your children in?

BrolicBrah
06-15-2012, 11:11 PM
I currently live in the southern part of Bergen County New Jersey, but grew up in the Northern part of Bergen County. Woodcliff Lake to be exact. From the outside Woodcliff Lake looks like a very wonderful place to raise your kids for several reasons. They have a "superior" school system (as they say, not my words) The people of Woodcliff Lake in the 1930's were orginally christian farmers with big farms and a small catholic college. As the town became more populated because it is only 25 minutes away from the city. the town got filled with a lot of Jewish people, and the town is now known to naibooring towns as the "rich jew town" and that catholic colege was turned to a jewish temple. (Im part of the 5 percent christian)

Being that I grew up there myself, and actually only moved out of my parents home 2 years ago I can confidently say that raising a child in the type of atmosphere like Woodcliff Lake is not a good idea and not to fall for "good schools" thing. The worst part is your kids growing up around rich privilaged kids who feel like they can do whatever they want and get whatever they want when they want it. That kind of attitude brings upon a bunch of problems esspecailly when it comes to drugs. I remember in highschool, kids (mostly football players. a few wrestlers, and a few just for muscle kids) got on multiple steriods at once (this was the 90s, they were illegal, im not that old) and it was known that the coaches know. Seeing a 13-18 yrs (that naturally has hormones flowing hard because of age) basically got three times the size they were withen months. It wasnt only sterioids or the normal beer and weed you would have at any highschool, but seeing other illegal substances around were unavoidable due to all these kids disposable income that is always way to generougly gave to them by their parents. I remeber just a few years ago this happened http://www.cliffviewpilot.com/bergen/662-college-students-from-tony-bergen-county-towns-charge-with-injecting-fatal-heroin-into-friend and it happenes all the time really over here (herion overdoses) but no one went to jail except in that case.

The better and richer the towns the more privilaged kids feel, and they are more likley to do dumb ****, but if you live in the opposite, your kid will probably join a gang or something

So what Im asking is what is actually a good town to raise kids in. Not even looking for a specific name of a town or a state, just a type of naiborhood that was nothing like mine. I dont want my kid to be born with a silver spoon in his mouth and expect the world (I am part of the old christian community of that town I spoke of)

Or do all naiboorhoods suck, and you just gotta be a good parent all day and quit your job to watch your kid and make sure he ends up with the same college degrees and acomplishments as me and maybe more than what you got?

I need advice from an older person. I bound to have a kid soon.

Cliffs:
Grew Up in rich town
relized it sucks and kids are douches n spoiled
rich kids feel entitiled do many drugs at a young age
wonder if a working class town is the way to go no matter what you have in the bank?
want you guys opinions,

acrawlingchaos
06-15-2012, 11:23 PM
Deviant little sh*ts, asshats and drug use is not limited to a single demographic. How you child ends up is more attributed to your influence than anything else.

Just find a place you like.

BrolicBrah
06-15-2012, 11:29 PM
I feel the same way. my parents were fine, but i felt some of my friends parents were fine too and now they are junkies

acrawlingchaos
06-15-2012, 11:32 PM
I feel the same way. my parents were fine, but i felt some of my friends parents were fine too and now they are junkiesWhat exactly do you mean by junkies? If this is a problem, you may want to find yourself a nice gated Amish Community.

SP1966
06-15-2012, 11:32 PM
I hear Compton is nice this time of year!

latebloomingmom
06-15-2012, 11:36 PM
there is no perfect place to raise your children. Just do the best ya can.
I live in the country and let me just say that if a kid gets it into his head to go out and find illegal substances to partake in..he can do it out in the middle of nowhere..unfortunately.

geer_matt
06-16-2012, 12:11 AM
Most people shouldn't be breeding anyways.

codybug1
06-16-2012, 12:23 AM
Irvine, Calif - the FBI rated this city the safest city in the country per capita.

Jtbny
06-16-2012, 06:39 AM
naiboorhoods? Hoping you are not a product of the "superior school system" ;)

My wife and are trying to decide the same thing ATM. Both of us from NY but currently live in FLA.

theKurp
06-16-2012, 06:55 AM
http://www.familycircle.com/family-fun/travel/best-towns-for-families/

EB68
06-16-2012, 06:56 AM
Jtbny, beat me to it. If you went to these superior schools I wouldn't put much faith in them when you can't spell for sh!t. Relized/naiboorhood?

GuyJin
06-16-2012, 07:07 AM
Cliffs from the OP's post.

Seems not to like Jews.Maybe he should meet Mel Gibson.
Can't spell worth s**t.
Belongs to an "old Christian element". I have the feeling any decent Christian wouldn't waste his or her time on him.
Maybe he wants to live in his own special world. He should try working for a living and then he buy his own private island.

Have a nice day.

UnaChispita
06-16-2012, 03:32 PM
It's not about the TOWN OP, it's about the quality of PARENTING.

When you have children, and IMO, you should wait since you just moved out on your own 2 years ago, do the following:

-teach them to work hard, to appreciate what they have, to be respectful, to take responsibility for their actions, to save money and spend it wisely, to honor their elders, and to keep a sense of humor since sometimes, life is crappy.

That's all I got right now...

dbx
06-16-2012, 03:37 PM
Bergen County is well known. Al Di Meola grew up in Bergen County.

/thread

mtpockets
06-16-2012, 04:02 PM
I need advice from an older person. I bound to have a kid soon.

I hear Barrow Alaska is a cool place

BrolicBrah
06-17-2012, 05:48 PM
Jtbny, beat me to it. If you went to these superior schools I wouldn't put much faith in them when you can't spell for sh!t. Relized/naiboorhood?

oh my god, I spelt two words wrong, Im so glad I gave you the opportunity to feel smart for once.

What exactly do you mean by junkies? If this is a problem, you may want to find yourself a nice gated Amish Community.

By junkies I mean kids who had the world by the balls, got in to good colleges, had parents to pay for them to go, but now sit in their basement and shoot herion... I like my computers and TVS and clean shaves so amish lifestyle is not for me.

naiboorhoods? Hoping you are not a product of the "superior school system" ;)

My wife and are trying to decide the same thing ATM. Both of us from NY but currently live in FLA.

School systems rating system is BS. Its all predetermined by the income of the town residents and how many people continue their education after highschool, and not based on anything after the entry of college (atleast in jersey) My graduating class actually had a 98 percent continuing education rate, but I am apart of the 50 percent that actually passed all my classes. Please school me on how to spell that word that describes a area where people share a lot of the same thoughts and views, Since my masters degree isnt enough to make me smart enough to not make one or two typo.

Jtbny
06-17-2012, 07:03 PM
oh my god, I spelt two words wrong, Im so glad I gave you the opportunity to feel smart for once.

By junkies I mean kids who had the world by the balls, got in to good colleges, had parents to pay for them to go, but now sit in their basement and shoot herion... I like my computers and TVS and clean shaves so amish lifestyle is not for me.

School systems rating system is BS. Its all predetermined by the income of the town residents and how many people continue their education after highschool, and not based on anything after the entry of college (atleast in jersey) My graduating class actually had a 98 percent continuing education rate, but I am apart of the 50 percent that actually passed all my classes. Please school me on how to spell that word that describes a area where people share a lot of the same thoughts and views, Since my masters degree isnt enough to make me smart enough to not make one or two typo.

I thought the ;) was a universal sign of teasing or something not to be taken too serious ;) I could care less about forum spelling or grammar mistakes to be honest, except when someone talks about their superior schooling and their Masters Degree. At that point I think you set a higher standard for yourself.

As for your question I really don't understand what you are looking for. You could move to another part of Jersey if you wanted to no? Honestly parenting starts at home so think about it this way, no matter where you end up moving you are always there.

BrolicBrah
06-17-2012, 09:56 PM
I thought the ;) was a universal sign of teasing or something not to be taken too serious ;) I could care less about forum spelling or grammar mistakes to be honest, except when someone talks about their superior schooling and their Masters Degree. At that point I think you set a higher standard for yourself.

As for your question I really don't understand what you are looking for. You could move to another part of Jersey if you wanted to no? Honestly parenting starts at home so think about it this way, no matter where you end up moving you are always there.

I made this thread for a good reason, I know behavior is learned and good parenting starts at home, but you dont know if your kids gunna end up a crack head or some kind of whatever bath salts shyt is out then, I dont know, i think im just paranoid, to not see one of my offspring acomplish even more than I have (which isnt much, not braggin by the way im not a doctor or anything) or end up the product of an enviorment which has the illusion of being such a great place (where I grew up = illusion of a good place)

edit: And my younger brother is a **** up. Same parents of a working tax payying adult citizen who doest need to leach of mommy and daddy in the basement anymore, and he doesnt even lift lol

BrolicBrah
06-17-2012, 10:07 PM
http://www.aroundphilly.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/inamsall.jpg

I used to live at the top of "Christie County (Well to do conservatives" and now live at the bottom of "Friendly White Familes"

I love that map for some reason