PDA

View Full Version : 14 hrs till I head west

Corbi
06-15-2012, 01:39 PM
2 weeks of vacation!!!! Taking the wife and we are driving out west to Wally World...nah but we are going to the Pacific Northwest. Spending a couple days in Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons camping, then thru Utah where i'm going to scream "strongman" as I drive past BTO's place. Onward to Portland, Seattle, Vancouver and Vancouver Island where we will camp some more. Hopefully see bears in Yellowstone without being eaten and my wife is excited about the whale watching trip where we hope to see a pod or 2 of Orca's. Would like to make it to Banff and Lake Louise as well and possibly the Edmonton mall...yea I know but's supposed to be friggin massive and has an indoor wave pool and bungee jumping.

Taking the laptop with, will post pics when I reach a wi-fi spot.

IronCharles
06-15-2012, 01:48 PM
Sounds like an awesome trip! Enjoy.

(Don't forget to check out Multnomah Falls!)

Corbi
06-15-2012, 01:56 PM
Sounds like an awesome trip! Enjoy.

(Don't forget to check out Multnomah Falls!)

It's on my checklist.

dnb
06-15-2012, 02:34 PM
Okay, when you head out to Seattle and Portland, i hope you do a run along the Columbia River Gorge. there are a number of beautiful little waterfalls to see, especially the large Multnomah Falls and the small hike in to Bridal Veil Falls. If you get to Hood Roiver, you will be in the windsurf capital of the US. Head south ot of there to Mt. Hood andbe sure to check out the lodge. It is the one in The Shining (at least from the outside). tHERE IS A PERM SNOWFIELD UP THERE, AND YOU CAN ACTUALLY GO SKIING in the mornings to bringht sunshine in July or August as well. After some fun in Portland, head out to the coast and be sure to go to Cannon Beach, probably the nicest beach town on the north Oregon Coast. If you go south from there, and reserve ahead (online) you can camp at Nehalem Bay State Park, a nice place one sand dune off the beach.

If you head north from there along the coast, be sure to see the Coast Guard Museum in Astoria and take the bridge there. It is more scenic than the interstate bridges alongt he way. When you get up to Seattle, you MUST go to the Pike Place Market, and you should doing the Boeing Plant Tour in Everett. there is also a nice flight museum in Seattle. Be sure to take a ferry as well. If you just want to walk on, go to Bainbridge Island for the day and shop and eat, if you want to do a nice Tour head over by car and drive up Bainbridge to Whidbey Island, then over Deception Pass back to the mainland. When you get up north, be sure to drive up tot he top of Fidalgo Island (attached to the mainland) and look out at the San Juans and Canada. Ask a local how to get up there. This time of year the San Juans can be VERY busy with long ferry wait lines. If you have bikes, or walk on, you will not have to wait. Go out to Orcas Island if you want to ride some hilly stuff, or San Juan Island if you do not want to, and then see the two forst there and learn about the Pig War.

When you head South from Anacortes, be sure to get directions south to La Conner, another cute little town. From there is you liek antiques head to Snohomish for a few hours. then back into Seattle.

If you need any more ideas or have quaestions, PM me, happy to help. This is my stomping ground.

rendylee
06-15-2012, 02:51 PM
2 weeks of vacation!!!! Taking the wife and we are driving out west to Wally World...nah but we are going to the Pacific Northwest. Spending a couple days in Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons camping, then thru Utah where i'm going to scream "strongman" as I drive past BTO's place. Onward to Portland, Seattle, Vancouver and Vancouver Island where we will camp some more. Hopefully see bears in Yellowstone without being eaten and my wife is excited about the whale watching trip where we hope to see a pod or 2 of Orca's. Would like to make it to Banff and Lake Louise as well and possibly the Edmonton mall...yea I know but's supposed to be friggin massive and has an indoor wave pool and bungee jumping.

West Edmonton Mall is freakin massive and you will enjoy, the bungee jumping is in the Waterpark....Here are my tourism Alberta tidbits. The water park lockers at WEM are $7/ day, with no option of bringing in your own lock,....food is expensive inside the park, and they say no outside food allowed, but I have always been able to take my own, saying dietary needs...this is probably too much planning for you and when on vacation saving money is not always an issue....BUT, if you want to save a little bit of coin the military base out here sells, galaxyland and waterpark tickets about half price I think, they are $30 or regularly ( or at least they were the last time I went) this is usually where I purchase mine and I am not in the military and when there are 4 of us it adds up. Banff and Lake Louise are both beautiful, but if I had to make a choice I like Banff as it has a townsite. Lots of hiking and let me know if you walk up the mountain or take the Gondola's. It is quicker to go to Edmonton from Banff going through Calgary, but scenery wise Banff to Edmonton through Jasper is amazing.

I hope you make it to Alberta, the Rockies are awesome :)

Big_Sky_Guy
06-15-2012, 03:01 PM
You may see Bears. You will not be eaten. Look for Wolves as well. Bison will smash your vehicle if you piss them off. If you get a chance, drive over the Beartooth Pass...an amazing experience, among many others in the park!

We have a cabin just outside the North Entrance (Mammoth/Gardiner) up near Pray, MT. Estimated date near Yellowstone Park? Will yell, "Hi Corb!" as you drive by.

DocHoss
06-15-2012, 03:06 PM
Have fun - here's something for the trip (best enjoyed while tripping out, I suppose)

http://youtu.be/7NZ04BG7TfA

Corbi
06-15-2012, 03:30 PM
You may see Bears. You will not be eaten. Look for Wolves as well. Bison will smash your vehicle if you piss them off. If you get a chance, drive over the Beartooth Pass...an amazing experience, among many others in the park!

We have a cabin just outside the North Entrance (Mammoth/Gardiner) up near Pray, MT. Estimated date near Yellowstone Park? Will yell, "Hi Corb!" as you drive by.

Plan on being to yellowstoneby Sunday afternoon, but all depends on how tired I get. leaving about 4:30 am and planning on driving at least until we hit Spearfish, but would like to make it to Gillette WY if possible. That would leave a drive of just a few hrs on sunday to get there. Right now thinking about sund and mon night there before hitting the Tetons..not sure if we will spend a night there or not but i'm thinking not. may crash for the night in Driggs ID and then get my ass to the west coast.

dnb, columbia river gorge is on the list. Wife and I both enjoy mountains, gorges, waterfalls, etc. We were in heaven in the Italian Alps back in 06, I could live there.

dnb
06-15-2012, 05:47 PM
Plan on being to yellowstoneby Sunday afternoon, but all depends on how tired I get. leaving about 4:30 am and planning on driving at least until we hit Spearfish, but would like to make it to Gillette WY if possible. That would leave a drive of just a few hrs on sunday to get there. Right now thinking about sund and mon night there before hitting the Tetons..not sure if we will spend a night there or not but i'm thinking not. may crash for the night in Driggs ID and then get my ass to the west coast.

dnb, columbia river gorge is on the list. Wife and I both enjoy mountains, gorges, waterfalls, etc. We were in heaven in the Italian Alps back in 06, I could live there.

Well I gave you some nice stuff to see.

BTW, if it is not too far of the path, see Craters of the Moon in Idaho. Really strange volcanic area that looks like the moon. If you pass anywhere near Ketchum, ID it's a nice little town as well. You may also be able to cross Glacier Park pass ... or not. call ahead. It may be too early in the season and you will not want to turn back.

While you are out in Seattle area you can go see Snoqualmie Falls, they are pretty cool. Just off I-90 as well.

pharmamarketer
06-15-2012, 06:12 PM
Have a great trip! Sounds like a blast

cowboybiker
06-15-2012, 06:44 PM
Have a great time bro.

Big_Sky_Guy
06-15-2012, 07:37 PM
There really are a ridiculous number of amazing places to see in the Pac NW. If you liked the alps, see if you can do Beartooth Pass and the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone.

Craters of the Moon area is def unique. The Gorge area is amazing. Seeing Mt Saint Helens is also worth it if you have time.

Sounds like a great trip no matter how you slice it!

DubfromGA
06-15-2012, 08:27 PM
Sounds like a great trip. Have fun & stay safe.

SP1966
06-15-2012, 08:31 PM
You're going to have a great time! You know how I know this? Because you're leaving Wisconsin, you cannot help but have a good time!! :)

Corbi
06-16-2012, 04:23 AM
You're going to have a great time! You know how I know this? Because you're leaving Wisconsin, you cannot help but have a good time!! :)

This is true:D And just in time too as it's going to be in the 90's this week.

later folks, will check in if/when I can.

Karl_Hungus
06-16-2012, 09:53 AM
Enjoy Corbi -- Although I must warn you: Vacationing in the Pacific Northwest will not help you with strongman, so you might as well just cancel your trip.

Okay, when you head out to Seattle and Portland, i hope you do a run along the Columbia River Gorge. there are a number of beautiful little waterfalls to see, especially the large Multnomah Falls and the small hike in to Bridal Veil Falls. If you get to Hood Roiver, you will be in the windsurf capital of the US. Head south ot of there to Mt. Hood andbe sure to check out the lodge. It is the one in The Shining (at least from the outside). tHERE IS A PERM SNOWFIELD UP THERE, AND YOU CAN ACTUALLY GO SKIING in the mornings to bringht sunshine in July or August as well. After some fun in Portland, head out to the coast and be sure to go to Cannon Beach, probably the nicest beach town on the north Oregon Coast. If you go south from there, and reserve ahead (online) you can camp at Nehalem Bay State Park, a nice place one sand dune off the beach..

Yup, been to all of those places when I vacationed on the coast of Oregon (Cannon Beach) -- Some great places for sure!

Corbi
06-18-2012, 07:14 AM
In Cody Wy right now with very sketchy net access. Yellowstone next.

Still alive for my haters:D

Corbi
06-20-2012, 08:57 PM
Net access in campgrounds sucks! Anyways camped 2 nights in Yellowstone, saw all the usual stuff, Old faithful, elk, bear, bison, etc. Made a trip into the Tetons as well as Jackson Hole where we had lunch, that's a cool town.

Now we are in Pasco WA about 2 hrs from the Columbia River Gorge just outside Portland. Will see the gorge and sights tomorrow then head up to Seattle for a few days.

will try and post a few pics tonight.

pharmamarketer
06-20-2012, 09:01 PM
Keep enjoying it

Corbi
06-20-2012, 09:04 PM
pics

GuyJin
06-20-2012, 09:09 PM
Nice pics. You didn't meet Frank Palmer along the way, did you? That guy is a world traveler for sure!:D

(Have a good vacation!).

latebloomingmom
06-20-2012, 09:19 PM
very nice pics.

Corbi
06-20-2012, 09:23 PM
Old Faithful
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4580873&d=1340247793

Big Horn national forest
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4580883&d=1340247815

Just a few of the thousands of Bisons in Yellowstone.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4580893&d=1340247834

Lower Falls in Yellowstone, this was our favorite.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4580903&d=1340247853

The only bull elk we saw, but we did see hundreds of females.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4580923&d=1340247872

Canyon in Cody WY, very scenic.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4580863&d=1340247776

Big_Sky_Guy
06-20-2012, 09:35 PM
Great Pics Corb!

Corbi
06-20-2012, 11:06 PM
Great Pics Corb!

I have a lot more with still 6-7 days worth to take yet.

We camped in Yellowstone at the Mammoth campgrounds, what sucks is we didn't have any showers so for 2 days we were a bit grubby. Also ate inside the park except for Jackson Hole. We never ventured out the norgth road until we left this morning and were shocked to find an entire little town with a lot of cool places to eat and even a place to take a shower...and it was only 10 minutes from our camp.

I know you said your cabin was near that entrance, we drove north past Devils slide and up thru Butte and into Idaho. Holy crap is Butte ever a depressing town.

IronCharles
06-20-2012, 11:18 PM
Sounds like good times! Cool pics, Corbi!

dnb
06-21-2012, 02:45 AM
Net access in campgrounds sucks! Anyways camped 2 nights in Yellowstone, saw all the usual stuff, Old faithful, elk, bear, bison, etc. Made a trip into the Tetons as well as Jackson Hole where we had lunch, that's a cool town.

Now we are in Pasco WA about 2 hrs from the Columbia River Gorge just outside Portland. Will see the gorge and sights tomorrow then head up to Seattle for a few days.

will try and post a few pics tonight.

Did you go to the place I PM'd you about?

Do not miss Pike Place Market in Seattle

Big_Sky_Guy
06-21-2012, 07:07 AM
Butte, America my friend. A copper town.

It was as progressive as San Francisco in the early 1900's with electric trolley cars, etc. But like all mining towns, it has seen it's boom and is trying to see its way through the bust.

Sounds like you stayed at the Mammoth Campground on the side of the hill. We are ~ 45 miles N up the road. You drove past a yellow flashing light at Emigrant. There would have been signage for Chico Hot Springs...that's in our neck of the woods.

Sounds like a successful trip so far. Some great pics! Keep posting them up so we can see the country with you!

Corbi
06-21-2012, 07:09 AM
Did you go to the place I PM'd you about?

Do not miss Pike Place Market in Seattle

Unfortunately no we did not make it there, were in the area and saw the Gros Ventre sign. Time constraints, only so much time to see everything.

The market is one of our top destinations, either later today or tomorrow morning.

danap3681
06-21-2012, 08:07 AM
I hope you are all enjoying your vacation :)

dnb
06-21-2012, 04:38 PM
Unfortunately no we did not make it there, were in the area and saw the Gros Ventre sign. Time constraints, only so much time to see everything.

The market is one of our top destinations, either later today or tomorrow morning.

Consider the Boeing Tour at the Everett Plant. Where are you heded next directionwise?

Corbi
06-21-2012, 05:18 PM
Made it to Seattle, actually staying 10 miles south near the airport. Freakin hotels downtown were nuts, $400 for 2 nights, I paid $150 for 2 nights for the Days Inn here. Net access is slooowww so no pic posting.

Columbia River Gorge was very cool, loved the waterfalls and just the drive in on Oregon side was fun and scenic.

After this we head north to Vancouver, Vancouver Island, Lake Louis, Banff, Edmonton and hopefully across Canada hitting places like Mossejaw and Regina along the way.

rendylee
06-21-2012, 07:20 PM
Okay seriously Corbi, if you make it to Regina, you have to go check out the RCMP training depot and take the tour and check out the small RCMP museum....it is incredible. It is where all members of the RCMP take there training, and I tell everyone that makes it to Regina to put it on their list. (and serioulsy dude, why you are going to Regina beats the heck out of me, I lived there for 10 years)

MazberryDelight
06-21-2012, 09:18 PM
I live on Vancouver island, beautiful place, check out Tofino and Caatherdral grove. Banff and lake Louise are beautiful too, I went there in July 00 and loved it.

MazberryDelight
06-21-2012, 09:21 PM
If your in Victoria the Empress hotel and Butchard gardens are worth seeing

Corbi
06-22-2012, 02:07 AM
Hoping Vancouver doesn't have all the degenerates that Seattle does. Cool town, easy to get around and the main part is small enough that walking to see everything is easy. But holy crap I have never seen so many beggars, bums, losers, as well as what I firmly believe are petty thieves looking for an easy mark. Minneapolis was bad and Dublin has it's share of bums and drunks but it's nothing like this. Sad to see actually since this is a great town otherwise.

Weather isn't looking all that great for Vancouver, oh well that's what they make umbrellas for.

Rendy, possibly going to Regina only because I want to go to Moosejaw because I like the name. I know nothing about the town at all other then it's name and we have a restaurant named Moosejaw here in the Dells and it's awesome.

Space Needle here was cool, sure it's not the biggest or fanciest but it is cool none the less. Wife and I both like it because it was built for the 1962 worlds fair and they are celebrating it's 50th yr, same as my wife an I as we were both born that yr.

Looking forward to Pikes Market tomorrow followed by a trip into Chinatown and a boat ride out into Puget sound.

X-ring
06-22-2012, 02:02 PM
Pikes Market in Seattle on a saturday is a must......... seriously. Go there.

Corbi
06-22-2012, 09:15 PM
Pikes Market in Seattle on a saturday is a must......... seriously. Go there.

We are leaving for Vancouver in the am but we did hit the market today, place was a freaking zoo. And it's hard to believe how big it is, everytime w turned around there was a new level we hadn't seen or a different corner with 10 more shops. Had some snacks and then ate lunch at a hole in the wall place called the Pasta bar, best frickin pizza anywhere and dirt cheap.

Took a boat ride out into the harbor near Puget sound, visited the aquarium and then walked thru Pioneer village and Chinatown. All in all a good day even though it never stopped raining, we have umbrellas so no big deal. Wish I were still hungry because Ivars down on the waterfront looked very good and was cheap as well.

thoffland
06-22-2012, 10:17 PM
Sounds like a great trip! I've always wanted to visit Yellowstone, looks like an awesome place.

Corbi
06-23-2012, 09:55 PM
Vancouver is far better than Seattle, it's cleaner and not so many bums. The Gaslight district is very trendy and cool with lots of shops and places to eat. Walking into Chinatown we came across where Vancouver keeps it's bums, oh my god there was an alley that reeked of piss so bad you could smell it a block away and then when you actually crossed in front of it we almost puked. Harborside is neat with One Canada Place and we went up Lookout Tower about 600'. Better net connection here so will post a few pics later, going to eat now.

Tomorrow is the Aquarium, Capilano bridge and Grouse Mt, can't wait to get up in the Eye of the Wind. They have a bubble just under the generator box on a massive wind turbine mounted on top of the mountain. You go up in this thing nd the view is supposed to be nuts. http://www.cobaltengineering.com/images/uploads/gallery/banner-eye1.jpg

MazberryDelight
06-23-2012, 10:47 PM
The aquariums great, if you get a chance you should go for a walk along the seawall, beautiful views

IronCharles
06-23-2012, 11:28 PM
You go up in this thing and the view is supposed to be nuts. Looks pretty cool. Wasn't there when I was up there. I found a promo vid when I started looking for more info:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPldLsSMxeI

Corbi
06-24-2012, 12:07 AM
Lot of high dollar cars in this town, was behind a Bentley earlier and while walking thru the Gaslight district a convertible Lamborghini went by. Too many high $$$ AMG Merc's to count and BMW M3's as well as 7 series are a dime a dozen.

LisaSkinnoble
06-24-2012, 11:13 AM
Lot of high dollar cars in this town, was behind a Bentley earlier and while walking thru the Gaslight district a convertible Lamborghini went by. Too many high $$$ AMG Merc's to count and BMW M3's as well as 7 series are a dime a dozen.

That's a lovely area. :)

Let us know when you've crossed the Capilano - when your knees stop shaking. It's scary up there, but the views are breathtaking.

dnb
06-24-2012, 02:11 PM

All the money from Asia.

Hope you made Granville Island. Much like Pike Market only cleaner.

Corbi
06-24-2012, 11:13 PM
Regarding the cars, BMW's are a freaking dime a dozen as are Mercs and Audi's. Today I followed an Aston Martin..took a pic of it's rear end, saw another Aston, as well as took a pic of another Maserati..we saw one yesterday and a Ferrari. Forgot to mention the Bentley we saw as well.

Corbi
06-24-2012, 11:14 PM
Today was a busy one. Hit up Granville island under the Granville bridge, very cool little area/community with a huge marketplace and tons of shops as well as fishing vessels and water taxis called "aquabuses" to take you back and forth from there across the river to Vancouver. We bought some creme brulee and some other thing that was like a creme puff.

Then hit the aquarium, nice but over priced like all the attractions up here and I wouldn't rate it as high as Shedd Aquarium. The Beluga whales were very cool to watch however.

Then onto the Capilano suspension bridge which also has cliff walk as well as a treetop walk deal. This place was great and even though pricey it was just about worth it. The views are spectacular and it's just fun to walk around the place.

Finsihed up with Grouse Mountain which I personally found fantastic, yes like everything else it was expensive but it's so cool. We did everything except the zip lining, i'm waiting to do that in Costa Rica eventually. Anyways they have a huge aerial tram that takes 100 people at a time up the mountain, there is the typical skiing lodge up there but they also have a theater which shows 2 short movies, one is on the parks 2 grizzly bears. There are also lumber jack shows, birds of prey shows, etc.

We then took the chairlift up to the actual top of the mountain where we were 4100' above Vancouver, walk down a path and they have one of those huge wind turbines you may have seen, these things are something like 250' tall. Anyways this one has an observation bubble built around the column just under the generator box up top. Part of it has a glass floor! The fog would roll in and out but we got a good view of everything when it would clear up. The blades are massive when you are viewing them from just a few feet away.

Finished up by working out at Anytime in Burnaby which is about 15 minutes from our hotel.

dnb
06-25-2012, 01:40 AM
so where to next?

IronCharles
06-25-2012, 02:29 AM
How did you like that first little "dip" on the tram going down? I was kinda watching them go down, so had some idea what to expect. My wife shrieked and about had a cow when that thing lurched! I was laughing, but she was seriously spooked! :D

Corbi
06-25-2012, 09:01 AM
How did you like that first little "dip" on the tram going down? I was kinda watching them go down, so had some idea what to expect. My wife shrieked and about had a cow when that thing lurched! I was laughing, but she was seriously spooked! :D

It actually got all of us on the tram on the way up. On the way down everyone expected it and I think everyone in the damn thing was giggling like an idiot.

Today is a whale watching tour, just not sure yet if i'm using the firm on Granville Island or one of them down in Steveston.

Tomorrow we start heading home, plan was to hit Banff and Lake Louise aong with Edmonton, may cut out Edmonton though.

Oceanside
06-25-2012, 09:04 AM
Corbi and his wife are a lot like Lewis & Clark except Lewis and Clark didn't drive around in a car and sleep in motels...

IronCharles
06-25-2012, 09:24 AM
Corbi and his wife are a lot like Lewis & Clark except Lewis and Clark didn't drive around in a car and sleep in motels...And the Google Maps navigator is his Sacajawea! :D

Corbi
06-25-2012, 09:36 AM
And the Google Maps navigator is his Sacajawea! :D

Used mapquest to find the gym, everything else has been ole fashioned paper maps. GPS doesn't work in Canada, soon as I crossed the border all I have is the little car symbol. And my wife sucks with maps, Magellan she ain't:D So I have to drive and navigate, have had to pull over a couple times to verify my route.

latebloomingmom
06-25-2012, 10:56 AM
be nice to your wife! not all women are map literate..I am certain she has many other talents and abilities...like putting up with your for instance..:)

powernpain
06-25-2012, 01:15 PM
Rendy, possibly going to Regina only because I want to go to Moosejaw because I like the name. I know nothing about the town at all other then it's name and we have a restaurant named Moosejaw here in the Dells and it's awesome.

Check out.. Al Copones tunnels.. During the prohibition he ran his central business out of Moose Jaw. He distributed and bootlegged from there. Back in the day Moose Jay was the place. Al Colonel built tunnels under the city, I think they still give tours. Lots of cool info and history. Moose jaw was Al Copones home and business hub for guite some time.

Corbi
06-26-2012, 11:33 PM
The Trans Canada highway isn't exactly the Autobahn.
Left this morning from Vancouver headed for Calgary, didn't quite make it that far though. We are about 100 km's away and staying Banff for the night, was raining like crazy at Lake Louise...didn't get very good pics as a result of the rain and the ever present fog. The roads have standing water on them and the temp was dropping and cars were starting to hydro plane...screw that I don't need an accident so we hit this ski resort town and got a room. Still going to Moosejaw tomorrow but may change routes afterwards and head south for N. Dakota. All depends on what traffic is like. Tons of semi's going thru the Rockies and it makes the going slow when you have to wait for passing zones to get around them.

Whiskeyjack
06-27-2012, 06:35 AM

Hey Corbi - I live on Vancouver Island, as does Kimsquit.

Whiskeyjack
06-27-2012, 06:37 AM
Today was a busy one. Hit up Granville island under the Granville bridge, very cool little area/community with a huge marketplace and tons of shops as well as fishing vessels and water taxis called "aquabuses" to take you back and forth from there across the river to Vancouver. We bought some creme brulee and some other thing that was like a creme puff.

Then hit the aquarium, nice but over priced like all the attractions up here and I wouldn't rate it as high as Shedd Aquarium. The Beluga whales were very cool to watch however.

Then onto the Capilano suspension bridge which also has cliff walk as well as a treetop walk deal. This place was great and even though pricey it was just about worth it. The views are spectacular and it's just fun to walk around the place.

Finsihed up with Grouse Mountain which I personally found fantastic, yes like everything else it was expensive but it's so cool. We did everything except the zip lining, i'm waiting to do that in Costa Rica eventually. Anyways they have a huge aerial tram that takes 100 people at a time up the mountain, there is the typical skiing lodge up there but they also have a theater which shows 2 short movies, one is on the parks 2 grizzly bears. There are also lumber jack shows, birds of prey shows, etc.

We then took the chairlift up to the actual top of the mountain where we were 4100' above Vancouver, walk down a path and they have one of those huge wind turbines you may have seen, these things are something like 250' tall. Anyways this one has an observation bubble built around the column just under the generator box up top. Part of it has a glass floor! The fog would roll in and out but we got a good view of everything when it would clear up. The blades are massive when you are viewing them from just a few feet away.

Finished up by working out at Anytime in Burnaby which is about 15 minutes from our hotel.

Doh! Too late I see. Should've read the thread. I'm glad you got to Van. I lived there 18 years, right across False Creek from Granville Island and GI was a big part of our lives.

rendylee
06-27-2012, 06:44 AM
Check out.. Al Copones tunnels.. During the prohibition he ran his central business out of Moose Jaw. He distributed and bootlegged from there. Back in the day Moose Jay was the place. Al Colonel built tunnels under the city, I think they still give tours. Lots of cool info and history. Moose jaw was Al Copones home and business hub for guite some time.

Oh ya, I forgot about the tunnels :)

The Trans Canada highway isn't exactly the Autobahn.
Left this morning from Vancouver headed for Calgary, didn't quite make it that far though. We are about 100 km's away and staying Banff for the night, was raining like crazy at Lake Louise...didn't get very good pics as a result of the rain and the ever present fog. The roads have standing water on them and the temp was dropping and cars were starting to hydro plane...screw that I don't need an accident so we hit this ski resort town and got a room. Still going to Moosejaw tomorrow but may change routes afterwards and head south for N. Dakota. All depends on what traffic is like. Tons of semi's going thru the Rockies and it makes the going slow when you have to wait for passing zones to get around them.

Did the mudslides at Revelstoke effect your travels?

dnb
06-27-2012, 08:23 PM
Hope you went to Lake Louise. North Dakota is boring. South Dakota isore interesting with Mt. Rushmore, Black Hills and if you go there see the Corm Palace.

Corbi
06-28-2012, 04:12 PM
Hope you went to Lake Louise. North Dakota is boring. South Dakota isore interesting with Mt. Rushmore, Black Hills and if you go there see the Corm Palace.

Was raining pretty good and foggy when we hit Lake Louise, still took a few pics. Done the black hills bit back in 2000 during the Sturgis rally.

Got home a couple hrs ago. Left Banff yesterday morning, hit Moosejaw early afternoon and I will be honest and tell everyone that city sucks ass. It has the perfect location and name to really be a tourist town, instead it's nothing but a slummy $hithole with a casino. Biggest disappointment of our entire trip. Quite a few smaller towns like Jackson Hole, Banff, Conmare, etc are gorgeous and yes those all have ski hills but they are postcard picture style towns and Moosejaw is really wasting a great opportunity.

Anyways left there and drove thru Regina...lot bigger than I thought it would be and finally hit Winnipeg about 1am. Said to hell with it and headed for the border, one lane open and no cars so pulled up and the Custom woman played 20 questions with us for a few minutes before letting us go. Finally got home 1700 miles later...longest I have driven in 1 stretch in a long long time.

5320 miles total for the trip and i'm beat right now.

Corbi
06-28-2012, 04:34 PM
BTW for anyone remotely interested in a few tidbits....

The Trans Canada highway is actually pretty fast once you get out of the Rockies, I averaged well over 70 most of the time and encountered no cops. However there is no reason to be on this road because between the Rockies and Winnipeg is 1000 miles of nothing, i'm serious there isn't a damn thing worth seeing...or at least nothing I read about.

Very very windy in SK, I swear it was nlowing at 60+ mph and we actually had a hard time getting out of the car because the wind wouldn't allow you to open the car doors.

gas prices were everywhere from $5.44 in Vancouver to $4.22 in Kamloop BC....those are per gallon. Per litre was everywhere from 111.9 to 139.9.

Lodging wasn't too bad and cheap hotels and motels can be found, however food is pricey even at fast food places like McD's or A&W. A meal for 2 that might cost $12-13 here will set you back anywhere from $19-29, the 12% tax really hurts.

rendylee
06-28-2012, 05:25 PM
BTW for anyone remotely interested in a few tidbits....

The Trans Canada highway is actually pretty fast once you get out of the Rockies, I averaged well over 70 most of the time and encountered no cops. However there is no reason to be on this road because between the Rockies and Winnipeg is 1000 miles of nothing, i'm serious there isn't a damn thing worth seeing...or at least nothing I read about.

Very very windy in SK, I swear it was nlowing at 60+ mph and we actually had a hard time getting out of the car because the wind wouldn't allow you to open the car doors.

gas prices were everywhere from $5.44 in Vancouver to $4.22 in Kamloop BC....those are per gallon. Per litre was everywhere from 111.9 to 139.9.

Lodging wasn't too bad and cheap hotels and motels can be found, however food is pricey even at fast food places like McD's or A&W. A meal for 2 that might cost $12-13 here will set you back anywhere from $19-29, the 12% tax really hurts.

Sask is getting some pretty wicked weather the past few days. I read in the paper today, they are saying numerous tornados (they actually said 500 reported, but I have my doubts on that)....and this is a province that does not get tornados.

...and yep, that sounds about right for Moose Jaw, but didn't want to wreck the surprise for ya, as you were so looking forward to it :D

Corbi
06-28-2012, 06:17 PM
Sask is getting some pretty wicked weather the past few days. I read in the paper today, they are saying numerous tornados (they actually said 500 reported, but I have my doubts on that)....and this is a province that does not get tornados.

...and yep, that sounds about right for Moose Jaw, but didn't want to wreck the surprise for ya, as you were so looking forward to it :D

Gee thanks:D That Capone hotel on the edge of the downtown area is a real frickin dump, I don't think roaches would stay in there. Your town like I said seemed to be pretty good sized with a lot of new construction going on and all the typical shopping anyone would want or need. Nowhere near as big as Calgary which seemed massive with tons of new houses being built and they are just about stacked on top of each other. Open your window and you could wash your neighbors window the houses are about the close together.

I actually ended up liking the wind coming out of the west, it helped my gas mileage big time. Easily was 3-4 more mpg just because of the wind.

Corbi
06-28-2012, 06:30 PM
Seattles infamous "gum wall", they actually have postcards, t-shirts, puzzles, etc of this. My wife added a piece of her own to this mess.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4608003&d=1340929833

A few of the Grand Tetons just south of Yellowstone.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4607953&d=1340929640

Lake Coeur D' Alene in Idaho
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4607963&d=1340929678

Multnomah Falls in the Columbis River Gorge of Oregon, fantastic place.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4607973&d=1340929724

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4607983&d=1340929762

"Working Man" statue in Seattle, the arm moves so it appears as if he his swinging the hammer.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4607993&d=1340929797

danap3681
06-28-2012, 06:34 PM
pics

Love the first one Corbi. Is that gum or what? Where is that?

Corbi
06-28-2012, 06:52 PM
View from the Space Needle with Mt Ranier in the background.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4608013&d=1340930773

Cobains guitar at the Hard Rock
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4608023&d=1340930807

Pike Market fish
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4608033&d=1340930841

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4608043&d=1340930880

The magic Shop in the market
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4608053&d=1340930912

Spicy Chicken on a stick from some Thai joint.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4608063&d=1340930949

Corbi
06-28-2012, 06:59 PM
Love the first one Corbi. Is that gum or what? Where is that?

Yep, all gum. It's in an alley leading to the Public Market.

Corbi
06-28-2012, 07:06 PM
Seattles bay side on a rainy day looking out from a harbor cruise we were on.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4608163&d=1340931783

Space Needle on that same rainy day, ironically it's celebrating it's 50th birthday as is my wife and I this yr.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4608173&d=1340931813

Iron trellis deal in Pioneer square, one of the cities neighborhoods.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4608183&d=1340931848

Quite a few totem poles in various areas of the city.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4608193&d=1340931885

Check out the crazy nips on the one on the right.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4608203&d=1340931920

memorial to Seattles firemen in the same park.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4608213&d=1340931956

Whiskeyjack
06-28-2012, 07:09 PM
View from the Space Needle with Mt Ranier in the background.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4608013&d=1340930773

Cobains guitar at the Hard Rock
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4608023&d=1340930807

Pike Market fish
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4608033&d=1340930841

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4608043&d=1340930880

The magic Shop in the market
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4608053&d=1340930912

Spicy Chicken on a stick from some Thai joint.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4608063&d=1340930949

Done it and loved it. Any Vancouver pics? Did you get to Victoria?

Corbi
06-28-2012, 07:23 PM
Chinatown entrance.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4608263&d=1340932729

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4608273&d=1340932768

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4608283&d=1340932805

Gaslight neighborhood in Vancouver, very trendy and cool place to hang out in.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4608293&d=1340932841

This is an actual steam powered clock in the gaslight district.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4608303&d=1340932876

One Canada Place in vancouver, it's a hotel and convention center as well as cruise ship dock designed to look like a sailing ship. 2 ships were in port, the Zuiderdam and the Diamond Princess.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4608253&d=1340932696

Corbi
06-28-2012, 07:25 PM
Done it and loved it. Any Vancouver pics? Did you get to Victoria?

Never got to Victoria, only has 2.5 days and a lot to cram in that amount of time. We did go whale watching and were in the San Juan island area so Victoria wasn't far away. Told my wife, we can whale watching or we can take the ferry to Victoria for the day, she chose the whales.

And yes I have pics, loading them slowly.

Whiskeyjack
06-28-2012, 07:29 PM
Never got to Victoria, only has 2.5 days and a lot to cram in that amount of time. We did go whale watching and were in the San Juan island area so Victoria wasn't far away. Told my wife, we can whale watching or we can take the ferry to Victoria for the day, she chose the whales.

And yes I have pics, loading them slowly.

Did you see any whales? I live in Vic.

Corbi
06-28-2012, 07:45 PM
Self portrait of us I took using the mirrored windows at One Canada.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4608403&d=1340934104

Not bad for a taxi
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4608413&d=1340934141

View from Lookout Tower
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4608423&d=1340934174

Home of the Vancouver Canucks
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4608433&d=1340934207

Bentley we saw outside a Tim Hortons
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4608443&d=1340934241

Granville Island entrance.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4608463&d=1340934298

Corbi
06-28-2012, 08:02 PM
Yep saw a lot of whales, 25-30 of them approximately. Supposedly 3 different pods making up what was called a superpod. Damn USA laws require the boats to stay 200' away from the Orca's so hard to get real close shots with my cheap camera. Hearing them come up for air and breathing was awesome. We did get 1 full breach where the animal was 100% out of the water, but infortunately no pic, and we also had 1 backdive which was cool as well. Lot's of flipper and tail slapping and they even played with the kelp at 1 point.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4608523&d=1340935104

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4608533&d=1340935136

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4608543&d=1340935171

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4608553&d=1340935202

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4608563&d=1340935237

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4608573&d=1340935267

Corbi
06-28-2012, 08:15 PM
Vancouvers harbor of off or is it considered a part of false creek?
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4608603&d=1340935843

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4608613&d=1340935878

1 of 2 Ferrari's we saw.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4608623&d=1340935912

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4608633&d=1340935948

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4608643&d=1340935981

Tell me these buildings don't look like something they would build in the projects during the 60's? And they are building more that look just like these.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4608653&d=1340936017

Corbi
06-28-2012, 08:28 PM
Capilano suspension bridge
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4608773&d=1340936720

Cliffwalk, this was actually kinda cool.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4608783&d=1340936759

Tram at Grouse Mountain just north of Vancouver a few blocks up from the suspension bridge
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4608803&d=1340936799

Eye Of the Wind on top of Grouse Mountain.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4608823&d=1340936833

Wife and I up in the eye, she was bundled up like nanok of the north and it wasn't that cold.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4608833&d=1340936865

The view from our room at Banff.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4608853&d=1340936899

KeepItMoving
06-28-2012, 08:32 PM
Great pics! I leave for Banff tomorrow. Will hike, bike, and fly fish. Hope to find a place to lift. I was there 11 years ago. Looking forward to being there with my Son now.

Corbi
06-28-2012, 08:38 PM
Great pics! I leave for Banff tomorrow. Will hike, bike, and fly fish. Hope to find a place to lift. I was there 11 years ago. Looking forward to being there with my Son now.

Cool town, pricey though. Makes Jackson Hole look like an actual hole. Have fun, but beware the weather it can change in minutes. Girl in Lake Louise about 50km north told us it had been raining for a solid week and it certainly looked it had been as a few of the creeks were pretty damn high.

StressMonkey
06-28-2012, 08:41 PM
Oh hell no to that suspension bridge.

KeepItMoving
06-28-2012, 09:37 PM
Cool town, pricey though. Makes Jackson Hole look like an actual hole. Have fun, but beware the weather it can change in minutes. Girl in Lake Louise about 50km north told us it had been raining for a solid week and it certainly looked it had been as a few of the creeks were pretty damn high.Yep. Good advice. If the Bow is too high, that will blow out my Fly Fishing plans. Just packed my 7 weight! I've been to Jackson Hole and the Three T!its (Tetons). That and Yellowstone are the closest to a Grizzly I've ever been. You really look like you hit it all. S. Dakota is on my list. So is Glacier in Montana. I'm sure we'll hit Lac Louise...maybe the glaciers in Jasper. Flight leaves in less than 6 hours. Thank you for your posts here. Got me jazzed!!

Whiskeyjack
06-28-2012, 10:20 PM
Self portrait of us I took using the mirrored windows at One Canada.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4608403&d=1340934104

Not bad for a taxi
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4608413&d=1340934141

View from Lookout Tower
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4608423&d=1340934174

Home of the Vancouver Canucks
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4608433&d=1340934207

Bentley we saw outside a Tim Hortons
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4608443&d=1340934241

Granville Island entrance.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4608463&d=1340934298

Lookout tower 555 West Hastings. Worked in that bldg for years. I was actually there when you were - in that bldg, doing an audit. What a shame we never met for brew...

dnb
06-28-2012, 10:24 PM
@Corbi

That statue in Seattle is actually referred to as the "Hammering Man".

If you liked Lake CdA, plan a vacation in Preist Lake, ID. Stay at the Hills Lodge or Elkins. Yes, it is very pricey for very plain lodgings, but it is rather special.

As for customs, yeah, they are such a hassle I no longer travel to Canada anymore. I do a lot of travelling to South America on business. Down there everyone is really mellow and cool, but you come back to the US and you feel like you are some sort of criminal most of the time. Outside the US no taking off the shoes, no need to remove laptops, and when my metal hips set off the metal detectors they just give me a quick wanding and let me go. Here I get the full molestation every time because I refuse to go thru the machines. Don;t trust they are calibrated correctly. Such is life...

dnb
06-28-2012, 10:25 PM
Yep. Good advice. If the Bow is too high, that will blow out my Fly Fishing plans. Just packed my 7 weight! I've been to Jackson Hole and the Three T!its (Tetons). That and Yellowstone are the closest to a Grizzly I've ever been. You really look like you hit it all. S. Dakota is on my list. So is Glacier in Montana. I'm sure we'll hit Lac Louise...maybe the glaciers in Jasper. Flight leaves in less than 6 hours. Thank you for your posts here. Got me jazzed!!

If you go to the Tetons PM me for the cool camping I shared with Corbi that e never got to...

V-240
06-29-2012, 01:03 AM
Awesome photos!

Ye gawdz, $9+ for crab cocktail in one of those market photos. Better come with a blow job. :D

IronCharles
06-29-2012, 01:40 AM
Great pics, Greg! Looks like you got to see Multnomah Falls in one of it's quiet times. It's crazy loud after a heavy rainfall! And I agree with you about the Vancouver high rises. That was exactly my thinking when I was up there, that it looked like a sprawl of 60's high rise architecture.

Corbi
06-29-2012, 09:31 AM
Awesome photos!

Ye gawdz, $9+ for crab cocktail in one of those market photos. Better come with a blow job. :D

I agree, not the cheapest place and i'm not sure how the fish people stay in business since it seemed flooded with us tourists with cameras but nobody buying any fish. Lots of flowers and prepared foods as well as treats being bought but that was about it.

Great pics, Greg! Looks like you got to see Multnomah Falls in one of it's quiet times. It's crazy loud after a heavy rainfall! And I agree with you about the Vancouver high rises. That was exactly my thinking when I was up there, that it looked like a sprawl of 60's high rise architecture.

When we 1st approached the Granville bridge I looked at my wife and basically asked her "are we going to a fuking ghetto?". Because the buildings reminded me a lot of some of the project areas in other cities we have been to. Not sure if there is a reason why Vancouver continues to build what I consider ugly buildings. Loved the city, had a great time and would go back, but damn are those things ugly.