PDA

View Full Version : Problem with getting too friendly with the staff at the gym

SpookyBot
06-15-2012, 02:57 AM
I like to be friendly and make some small talk with the folks that work at the gym I go to. I do this at every gym. I'll make some small talk on the way in and maybe on the way out.

But for whatever reason, now these 2 guys that work there keep coming by while I'm training to offer me some of their "advanced" tips which include:

1) Roll your shoulders when shrugging
2) Forget squats - do these! (some fruity dumbell routine)
3) Military presses don't work shoulders - do seated dumbell Arnold presses!
4) and so on ..

They're cool guys and I appreciate their kind intentions, but I need to figure out a way to tell them to leave me alone without offending them.

dazlittle
06-15-2012, 03:15 AM
Just thank them for their advice but tell them you are working to a planned routine, with specific exercises and you may try their suggestions when you have taken this plan as far as you can.

Frnkd
06-15-2012, 03:16 AM
at the desk. "Hey, guys...appreciate the help but can I ask that when Im on the floor, I like to really focus on my program...so if you can let me do that I'd appreciate it......later when we chat if you notice anything let me know.....thanks guys" and go on your merry way to the floor.

I think you being friendly doesn't mean you don't have limits and boundaries.....but you don't seem to be one to be rude and curt about it either.

If they do interrupt you, just say "hey, bud, this is what I was referring to....later we can discuss what you see and why I do what I do...thanks" but you need to say it right away, and not after the employee finishes his/her sentence.

this is how I would approach this situation.....simple, and to the point with being offensive. IMO :)

IronCharles
06-15-2012, 03:22 AM
I need to figure out a way to tell them to leave me alone without offending them.Just do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfJTXDppVNA

GuyJin
06-15-2012, 03:34 AM
I find it highly ironic the logo on the machines says "You belong". LMAO!

mtpockets
06-15-2012, 03:41 AM
I like to be friendly and make some small talk with the folks that work at the gym I go to. I do this at every gym. I'll make some small talk on the way in and maybe on the way out.

But for whatever reason, now these 2 guys that work there keep coming by while I'm training to offer me some of their "advanced" tips which include:

1) Roll your shoulders when shrugging
2) Forget squats - do these! (some fruity dumbell routine)
3) Military presses don't work shoulders - do seated dumbell Arnold presses!
4) and so on ..

They're cool guys and I appreciate their kind intentions, but I need to figure out a way to tell them to leave me alone without offending them.

Any way you approach it will be offensive to them, i'd just tell them if I want advice I'll ask, or if you dont wan't confrontation, fart lots.

Good luck and get it stopped before they start patting you on the bum and saying attaboy.

llahhsoj
06-15-2012, 04:53 AM
Just do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfJTXDppVNA

Planet Fitness reminds me of Vince Vaughn's gym in the movie Dodgeball.

frozensparky
06-15-2012, 07:57 AM
Just thank them for their advice but tell them you are working to a planned routine, with specific exercises and you may try their suggestions when you have taken this plan as far as you can.

This for sure. Short, sweet and to the point without being rude at all.

Marius_Ursus
06-15-2012, 08:06 AM
I tend to take the Japanese approach in situations like that.

Say, "That's interesting," then continue what you're doing.

Corbi
06-15-2012, 12:02 PM
I tend to take the Japanese approach in situations like that.

Say, "That's interesting," then continue what you're doing.

This^^.
Eventually when they see you aren't taking their advice they will stop giving it.

powernpain
06-15-2012, 12:19 PM
This^^.
Eventually when they see you aren't taking their advice they will stop giving it.

This, say thanks , they will figure it out. If it get to be ridiculous advice, shed some light on an experience you had trying that way and your body didn't seem to respond well, thank them again, continue with your program :)

-=FLEX=-
06-15-2012, 12:22 PM
Obviously you don't look like you know what you're doing.

trololololol :)

pharmamarketer
06-15-2012, 12:27 PM
I rarely speak to anyone at the gym. I mind my own business and get out.

-=FLEX=-
06-15-2012, 12:30 PM
I rarely speak to anyone at the gym. I mind my own business and get out.

Same. I don't talk to anyone unless they talk to me first, other than to ask for a spot (which is rare).

Saw an old buddy today and we popped our earbuds out and spoke for less than 30 seconds before getting back to work.

I train at 5am; If I'm getting up that freaking early I'm going to make damn good use of my time. I will never understand the other people that get up at that ungodly hour to go to the gym, then fart around talking half the time they are there.

Marius_Ursus
06-15-2012, 12:45 PM
Obviously you don't look like you know what you're doing.

trololololol :)

Big talk coming from a guy who looks like a smurf.

don't hit me

-=FLEX=-
06-15-2012, 12:47 PM
smurf you, guy! :mad:

:D

Lou1se
06-15-2012, 01:07 PM
I don't like idle chit chat. I'm ok with hello and goodnight.

My sessions are long enough and I can't stand wasting time.

pharmamarketer
06-15-2012, 01:08 PM
Same. I don't talk to anyone unless they talk to me first, other than to ask for a spot (which is rare).

Saw an old buddy today and we popped our earbuds out and spoke for less than 30 seconds before getting back to work.

I train at 5am; If I'm getting up that freaking early I'm going to make damn good use of my time. I will never understand the other people that get up at that ungodly hour to go to the gym, then fart around talking half the time they are there.

I go later in the day. Around 6-7. There is a lot of chit chat going on that time. If you can have a full on conversation while lifting I think you need to evaluate what it is you are doing

Corbi
06-15-2012, 01:30 PM
Now Marius, don't pick on the little guy you know he's sensitive about his weight:D

IronCharles
06-15-2012, 01:51 PM
Now Marius, don't pick on the little guy you know he's sensitive about his weight:DI dunno, he might be a pushover with all that lost muscle! ;) :D