PDA

View Full Version : Why do we still get phone books?

flairon
06-14-2012, 07:06 PM
I've got a stack of phone books in my closet already. I haven't opened a single one of them and they pass out 2 every year. What is the point for them now?

paolo59
06-14-2012, 07:12 PM
LOL I got two of those suckers several weeks ago. They're still laying around in that little yellow sack in the entryway. I guess we could practice our 'strongman routines' and try to tear them in two! :)

Karl_Hungus
06-14-2012, 07:16 PM
Brah...let me tell you something. You have your finger on the pulse of today's most vexing and complex questions that face our modern society.

Bando
06-14-2012, 07:16 PM
_pGvEGFkvNs

IronCharles
06-14-2012, 07:19 PM
I appreciate them, because I tear out the sheets, crumple them up, and use them as packing filler for shipping boxes.

crupiea
06-14-2012, 07:20 PM
I have been wondering this for years.

I know the answer.

Women still use them. I work with all women and they had a fit when they found some in the recycle bin that I had tossed. Even though the all have smart phones, for some reason they still have a need to use the phone book.

I have no idea what it is. probably they same reason why they cant buy extra large or jumbo size eggs.

pharmamarketer
06-14-2012, 07:22 PM
I throw them right into the recycle bin. I haven't used one in 5 years

flairon
06-14-2012, 07:55 PM
LOL I got two of those suckers several weeks ago. They're still laying around in that little yellow sack in the entryway. I guess we could practice our 'strongman routines' and try to tear them in two! :)
Mine haven't even made it in from the porch yet. I'm running out of room to store these things. But packing paper sounds like a good idea

SP1966
06-14-2012, 08:11 PM

I know the answer.

Women still use them. I work with all women and they had a fit when they found some in the recycle bin that I had tossed. Even though the all have smart phones, for some reason they still have a need to use the phone book.

I have no idea what it is. probably they same reason why they cant buy extra large or jumbo size eggs.

Crup, the misogynist in you is so very predictable, yet so very entertaining! LOL

Brackneyc
06-14-2012, 08:15 PM
I use them for looking up services in my area. Internet is a lousy way (imo) to find services. IE, I needed a storage facility for my camper. Internet search was crap. Found what I needed in less than 5 minutes...in the phone book.

SP1966
06-14-2012, 08:17 PM
I use them for looking up services in my area. Internet is a lousy way (imo) to find services. IE, I needed a storage facility for my camper. Internet search was crap. Found what I needed in less than 5 minutes...in the phone book.

I was about to say they are for the older people who are skeered of the debils technology, but then I read the above and realized it had already been said...

:)

Brackneyc
06-14-2012, 08:24 PM
I was about to say they are for the older people who are skeered of the debils technology, but then I read the above and realized it had already been said...

:)

LOL:), only problem is, the books are now pretty small, so reading them is lots of fun. I do have a magnifying glass app on my Iphone (with light), so there is that. :D

StressMonkey
06-14-2012, 09:28 PM
I had them stop sending me them years ago. For some reason last year they sent me a freaking phone book. I called up the phone company to have them stop again. The woman who took my call said in voice dripping with condescension, "Well, what are you going to use to look up phone numbers then?"

"It's called the Internet."

cowboybiker
06-14-2012, 09:45 PM
They last quite some time in the outhouse ;)

srs. Keep them by the wood burning stove in the den to help start a fire.

latebloomingmom
06-14-2012, 10:25 PM

I know the answer.

I have no idea what it is. probably they same reason why they cant buy extra large or jumbo size eggs.well now that is just wrong:)

2nd_chance
06-14-2012, 11:12 PM
So that the o35 5'8" crew can sit on them and see to drive.

Oceanside
06-15-2012, 12:14 AM
Why do we still get phone books?

for people like bando when he's goes out to restaurants :)

Marius_Ursus
06-15-2012, 08:00 AM
I like getting them. Where I live there aren't a whole lot of web sites for different businesses I might need, so it's good to have a handy index like that.

flairon
06-15-2012, 08:12 AM
And why do we still get checks or even still have checking accounts? Even though I've had a checking account forever it seems, I bet I haven't written an actual check since the 90's

Marius_Ursus
06-15-2012, 08:54 AM
Same deal. My garbage collection service (among others) doesn't have electronic capabilities. I'd be royally effed if my bank discontinued checks.

flairon
06-15-2012, 08:59 AM
Same deal. My garbage collection service (among others) doesn't have electronic capabilities. I'd be royally effed if my bank discontinued checks.

Yeah, but not everyone is a neighbor to grizzly adams :)

Down here in the land of indoor plumbing and electricity, these things really aren't used

Brackneyc
06-15-2012, 09:02 AM

Down here in the land of indoor plumbing and electricity, these things really aren't used

I wrote three checks today.

Marius_Ursus
06-15-2012, 09:08 AM

I
Wrote three checks today
To pay with capital
I
Focus on the pen
The only thing
That's full

My account is draining fast
So many bills to pay
I try to get more cash
To make them go away

You will have it all
My empire of dough
With taxes and the bills
I watch my money go...

EDIT - That's sung to NIN's "Hurt".

Marius_Ursus
06-15-2012, 09:09 AM

Hey!

I have a flushing toilet.

...if I fill the tank by hand...

StressMonkey
06-15-2012, 09:25 AM

No you didn't!

And why do we still get checks or even still have checking accounts? Even though I've had a checking account forever it seems, I bet I haven't written an actual check since the 90's

Tell them to stop sending them to you. My credit union was sending "convenience checks" for my credit card with them also. Those got killed as well.

My online bill pay just prints paper checks and mails them directly to services that don't have electronic capabilities.

flairon
06-15-2012, 10:17 AM

Now that i think about it, i guess for stuff like construction work being done or something like that, yeah i could see it being useful. I would bet that probably a good 98% of the places I deal with either take plastic on site and/or have online payment available. But now if you have a smart phone, pretty much anyone can take plastic

Nikonguy
06-15-2012, 10:24 AM
As long as businesses buy yellow page ads we will get phonebooks, both white and yellow.

broad.stance
06-15-2012, 10:46 AM
They're for the 25% of households (up to 40% in some areas) that do not have internet access. Also, phone books are the easiest way for counties to distribute contact information for government, emergency, and municipal services, so while people can opt out, it is recommended they do not.

Mine are handy mostly during a blackout, and when the new ones come out I drop the old off at the library for recycling.

SP1966
06-15-2012, 10:53 AM

Damn it, I hate missing out on a good 5'8" joke!

HoustonTXMuscle
06-15-2012, 11:59 AM
I've got a stack of phone books in my closet already. I haven't opened a single one of them and they pass out 2 every year. What is the point for them now?

What do mean by "2 every year?" Live in a large city encompassing 3 counties and several burbs and this month alone have had 4 placed at my front door and it's only the middle of the month. Damn near tripped over one leaving the house this morning before the sun came up.

Corbi
06-15-2012, 12:00 PM
Some guy dropped off 2 at work the other day, I actually had to sign for them. Asked why and he said it's for proof that he delivered them. As soon as he walked out the door both went right into the recycle container.

StressMonkey
06-15-2012, 01:29 PM
Damn it, I hate missing out on a good 5'8" joke!

I'm glad 2nd_chnace got there before you did. His jokes are actually funny.

-.-- --- ..- .- .-. . .. -. ... .- -. . .- -. -.. .-- .-. --- -. --.

MiamiSpartan
06-15-2012, 01:49 PM
I didn't know we still got them....
Where in Florida are you?

philipj
06-15-2012, 03:59 PM
While we use cell phones, we also have the hard wired telephone. During longer power failures we pull out the olde telephone, re-install the olde non computer phone, and the copper lines still work and we can communicaate when the cell towers. Businesses and people often do notl have www sites, but with yellow or white page listing we know they exist and where they are. In my business, if all the #'s someone gives, are cell phones, we are suspcious.

On the WWW, wild, wild west, there are too many phonies.

mixbwoy
06-15-2012, 04:06 PM
It's Obama's fault.

http://i.qkme.me/7bzi.jpg

not srs