PDA

View Full Version : Lower Back Issues - Inversion Table?

litljay
06-13-2012, 03:22 PM
Stayfit's thread about leg work after lower back surgery prompted me to pose this question.

About 3 weeks ago now I injured/slipped my lower back squatting. It was a Saturday morning leg session where I hadn't quite completely woken up yet and during the second warm up set I let my pelvis shift forward at the bottom (butt wink?). Immediate pain. I was able to stand up and rack the weight, but that was the end of leg training since. I've had issues in the past with this same area, but nothing that was an "ouch" moment. It was always a slow progression to the pain.

My Chiropractor has been able to get me into a really good position at the moment. I definitely need to get more core work in to strengthen that area, but I'm also thinking of some type of preventative stretching/re-alignment work. My FIL swears by his inversion table and says that a few minutes on it a couple times a week has cured his back issues.

Do any of the other O35ers prescribe to use of an inversion table? If so, good/bad experience with them?

For those unaware, it's something like this that basically hangs you from your feet to remove all pressure on the spine:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnXXWW3_c9o11m68vPObts0I3sJsvxr-LZQxqetUshcKMvQoBMQZ8tKMIr

paolo59
06-13-2012, 03:28 PM
I haven't done those in a good long while, but they're incredible. I used to do them regularly with my trainer. He had the boots. I saw one of those advertised for around 299 bucks the other day. I'm seriously considering purchasing one.

litljay
06-13-2012, 05:11 PM
I haven't done those in a good long while, but they're incredible. I used to do them regularly with my trainer. He had the boots. I saw one of those advertised for around 299 bucks the other day. I'm seriously considering purchasing one.

I am too, hence the thread. I saw a local sports store had one on sale for <$100. Not sure of the quality though.

It seems that most run in that $299 range though.

Nalu
06-13-2012, 05:30 PM
I love my "Hang Up's". No boots but a wonderful tool for back health and pain relief. I use mine daily, usually before I train.

litljay
06-14-2012, 07:40 AM
I was going through the Amazon reviews last night and was quite surprised at all of the positive reviews. It didn't seem to matter what brand or price, but all of them, literally hundreds of positive reviews of how these things basically cured their back problems.
I then went to the negative reviews. Not a single negative review that I looked at complained about them NOT helping. The negatives only complained about construction, shipping, sturdiness, etc.

I think I'm going to give it a shot.

paolo59
06-14-2012, 09:34 AM
I was going through the Amazon reviews last night and was quite surprised at all of the positive reviews. It didn't seem to matter what brand or price, but all of them, literally hundreds of positive reviews of how these things basically cured their back problems.
I then went to the negative reviews. Not a single negative review that I looked at complained about them NOT helping. The negatives only complained about construction, shipping, sturdiness, etc.

I think I'm going to give it a shot.

Sounds good! I played around online and found a good many in the 109 to 159 dollar range. Much better than 300 bucks! I think I'm going to pick one up. Lately I've felt like I need to hang and stretch out for 2 or 3 days! You can get all 'stove up' pounding away in the gym regularly.

mixbwoy
06-14-2012, 09:44 AM
If you guys get one, report back with reviews. I have thought about getting one too, I have heard they work wonders.

ClinicallyBored
06-14-2012, 11:13 AM
I have one. It is helpful. A lot of relief from the constant pressure/pain in my lower back. It takes a while to get used to the blood rushing to your head though. You have to slowly work your way through the angles of inversion.

Its not a miracle worker but worth the money if you have back problems. I will say this though when you come back up, do it very slowly. I still feel a little nauseous afterwards, but that just might be me.

litljay
06-14-2012, 04:47 PM
I just ordered it through Amazon. I went the middle of the road price wise (spent $200). I was nervous purchasing one of the cheaper ones, as I surely wouldn't want it to give way with me hanging upside down.

I did the "Super Saver" shipping which was free, but it will take longer to get to me. Will report back.

paolo59
06-14-2012, 06:15 PM
I just ordered it through Amazon. I went the middle of the road price wise (spent $200). I was nervous purchasing one of the cheaper ones, as I surely wouldn't want it to give way with me hanging upside down.

I did the "Super Saver" shipping which was free, but it will take longer to get to me. Will report back.

Which one did you get? I found an Ironman Essex 990 online for around 115 bucks on sale. Regularly 150 or so. It had excellent customer reviews.

litljay
06-14-2012, 07:58 PM
Which one did you get? I found an Ironman Essex 990 online for around 115 bucks on sale. Regularly 150 or so. It had excellent customer reviews.

Ironman ATIS 1000. It's the ab/inversion table. It locks into multiple positions.

flairon
06-14-2012, 08:12 PM
love those things. my back makes the sound like when you pull a flexible straw apart at the crinkles

jdtemple
06-15-2012, 06:39 AM
I don't have any back problems that I'm aware of, but I always wanted to try one. Looks like it would feel good.

litljay
06-15-2012, 07:25 AM
I don't have any back problems that I'm aware of, but I always wanted to try one. Looks like it would feel good.

:) If you had problems, you'd be aware of them.

flairon
06-15-2012, 07:59 AM

damn near makes you want to smoke a cig in post-coital bliss when you get done.

Sami76
06-15-2012, 11:54 AM
We've got an inversion table, had it for years. My husband likes it fine, but it's actually made my lower back feel worse in the past so I don't use it anymore. Plus I suffer with stuffy sinuses and being upside down makes it feel like my head is going to explode. I was going to say test out your FIL's and see if you like it first, but looks like you went ahead and already bought one. Hope it helps you! My husband and so many others swear by it. I must just be an oddball case. :)

DubfromGA
06-15-2012, 08:31 PM

Strong endorsement!

love those things. my back makes the sound like when you pull a flexible straw apart at the crinkles

Damn, got me thinking I need to try one. Do they make em in Sasquatch sizes?

V-240
06-15-2012, 10:09 PM
You guys ever go to a chiropractor that uses one of those roller traction tables? When I had lower back issues, this thing was so awesome I didn't want to get off. The thing would push up into your lower back and roll up and down the length of your spine, or whatever length the doc set it to. I'd be so relaxed, it was hard to get off when it was over.

Krash23
06-16-2012, 11:17 AM
Yes, I have had the pleasure. Poor mans version is the foam roller...you can get a good one for $30 - $40. Amazon, Walmart, any sporting goods store.

ClinicallyBored
06-16-2012, 12:34 PM
You guys ever go to a chiropractor that uses one of those roller traction tables? When I had lower back issues, this thing was so awesome I didn't want to get off. The thing would push up into your lower back and roll up and down the length of your spine, or whatever length the doc set it to. I'd be so relaxed, it was hard to get off when it was over.

Absolutely heaven on earth. I never wanted to leave. Once, only once, my PT let me actually fall asleep right there for 15 min.

debandmikeb
06-16-2012, 05:54 PM
Now that's kinda funny because my chiro put me on his and I did not like it at all. In fact, it actually bothered my back. I like it when he unlocks the table at the waist and swings my lower half side to side. Now that feels good.

Mike

litljay
06-16-2012, 09:56 PM

LOL. Now that's funny.

We've got an inversion table, had it for years. My husband likes it fine, but it's actually made my lower back feel worse in the past so I don't use it anymore. Plus I suffer with stuffy sinuses and being upside down makes it feel like my head is going to explode. I was going to say test out your FIL's and see if you like it first, but looks like you went ahead and already bought one. Hope it helps you! My husband and so many others swear by it. I must just be an oddball case. :)

I would have tried my FIL's, but he lives about 1500 miles away from us.

Strong endorsement!

When I was looking, the tallest I saw went to 6'6". The biggest weight rating went to 350 lbs.

My Chiro has one, but I've never had the pleasure of getting on it. I'll have to ask him next time.

flairon
06-17-2012, 06:05 AM
Strong endorsement!

the one i was on held my big ass just fine, getting upright again was almost worth a video

litljay
06-21-2012, 01:40 PM
So, got my contraption on Tuesday. Set up was a breeze and took me about 30-45 minutes to put together. I'm not sure what the reviewers on Amazon were doing as most stated it took them 2-3 hours to put together.

So, after I got it together I probably spent 10 minutes on it playing with the different angles and just hanging there. I then gave it a break for a while and went back to it and maybe spent another 5 minutes hanging on it. I can definitely feel the pull/stretching in my back and it feels good as you lay there. Yesterday, my back was pretty sore, and I wasn't sure it it was due to using this or what. Last night, after the gym, I got on it for another 5 minute session. Today, that soreness is not there. I'm not completely discomfort free by any means, but I'm not any worse either. I'll keep using it an report back periodically.

trymarine
06-21-2012, 03:01 PM
Even if you do not suffer back problems,it's nice to view the world from a bats perspective. I love bats me.

Austanian
10-03-2013, 07:17 PM
So, got my contraption on Tuesday. Set up was a breeze and took me about 30-45 minutes to put together. I'm not sure what the reviewers on Amazon were doing as most stated it took them 2-3 hours to put together.

So, after I got it together I probably spent 10 minutes on it playing with the different angles and just hanging there. I then gave it a break for a while and went back to it and maybe spent another 5 minutes hanging on it. I can definitely feel the pull/stretching in my back and it feels good as you lay there. Yesterday, my back was pretty sore, and I wasn't sure it it was due to using this or what. Last night, after the gym, I got on it for another 5 minute session. Today, that soreness is not there. I'm not completely discomfort free by any means, but I'm not any worse either. I'll keep using it an report back periodically.

Long term bump how were your results?

latebloomingmom
10-03-2013, 07:35 PM
friend of mine is a runner and has lower back pain and get on one of these three or four times a week
says it works wonders :)

Corbi
10-03-2013, 07:41 PM
friend of mine is a runner and has lower back pain and get on one of these three or four times a week
says it works wonders :)

I don't advise you to try it though, flip upside down and you will get a couple black eyes from your tits hitting them:D

latebloomingmom
10-03-2013, 07:46 PM
I don't advise you to try it though, flip upside down and you will get a couple black eyes from your tits hitting them:Dnooooooooooo sh**********ttttt ! :D

NorwichGrad
10-04-2013, 05:35 AM
This is one of those threads that Im glad to have been resurrected.

I started using one of these this week. I feel a bit of relief in my lower back.

Litljay care to give us an update since youve been using this for a year (Im assuming)?

And Ms. Bloomingmom You do have nice boobs!

hammerfelt
10-04-2013, 09:23 AM
So cool this thread came up. I was looking for one of these yesterday.

I found one where I do not exceed the weight limit for the attraction.

http://www.inversionusa.com/healthmarkpromax.html

http://www.inversionusa.com/images/healthmark/promaxfaceup.png

GKC45
10-04-2013, 09:26 AM
I love mine. Nothing brings lower back pain relief like the feeling of blood rushing to your skull. Plus, you can make great funny faces for the kids.

Zenshi
10-04-2013, 01:00 PM
Stayfit's thread about leg work after lower back surgery prompted me to pose this question.

About 3 weeks ago now I injured/slipped my lower back squatting. It was a Saturday morning leg session where I hadn't quite completely woken up yet and during the second warm up set I let my pelvis shift forward at the bottom (butt wink?). Immediate pain. I was able to stand up and rack the weight, but that was the end of leg training since. I've had issues in the past with this same area, but nothing that was an "ouch" moment. It was always a slow progression to the pain.

My Chiropractor has been able to get me into a really good position at the moment. I definitely need to get more core work in to strengthen that area, but I'm also thinking of some type of preventative stretching/re-alignment work. My FIL swears by his inversion table and says that a few minutes on it a couple times a week has cured his back issues.

Do any of the other O35ers prescribe to use of an inversion table? If so, good/bad experience with them?

For those unaware, it's something like this that basically hangs you from your feet to remove all pressure on the spine:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnXXWW3_c9o11m68vPObts0I3sJsvxr-LZQxqetUshcKMvQoBMQZ8tKMIr

I would like to know if that works as well OP as I have back problems (herniated disc). I have found that doing back stretches and core exercises helped me out a lot (including a lot of squatting with light weights (I am always afraid I will mess my back up if I use heavy weights so I am starting light and slowly increasing the weight)). Seated spinal stretches are really good for me for the lower back, as well as the usual seated hamstring stretches and things like bows and bridges. Recently I found glute hamstring curls work really well for the lower back and are less stressful than other back exercises. The nice thing is I can do these all at home without any equipment so for me they are really handy for my situation.