PDA

View Full Version : Any Euro 2012 Fans?

SasaAndWendy
06-13-2012, 02:24 PM
Any Euro 2012 fans around here?

Funny picture for today's match:
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/303457_361362287263216_1714282114_n.jpg

pharmamarketer
06-13-2012, 02:28 PM
I have been watching. I saw Russia tie Poland last night. I enjoy watching it. I played through HS

Jasonk282
06-13-2012, 02:31 PM
Germany and Italy look like the ones to beat so far. Poland also look real good versus Russia yesterday.

Forza Azurri....Polska...I'm Italian and Polish.

SasaAndWendy
06-13-2012, 02:43 PM
Germany and Italy look like the ones to beat so far. Poland also look real good versus Russia yesterday.

I think you're right - Germany looked good against the Dutch. And as much as it pains me to say it, as I was going in supporting Spain, the Azzuri are looking good. Italy versus their neighboring Croatia is going to be a very good match tomorrow.

Poland and Ukraine are not looking like slackers as the home countries, either. Sheva still has some life in him yet! :)

jamacdon
06-13-2012, 03:09 PM
I think Denmark was a little unlucky. A little better defending would have seen a draw imo. I think Germany looks like the one to beat, though Spain and Italy are looking like contenders too.

mixbwoy
06-13-2012, 04:43 PM
Footballer checking in. Germany & Spain def favorites. Italy looking good in their first game which is a lot different than they looked in the friendlies leading up to Euro 2012.
Glad there have been no real violence, though Russia fans were beating on stewards after their first game. They were fined $150,000 for their fan violence. Also glad no big racism incidents, except for the monkey chants at the Dutch practice before the start of the tourney. But, even that is way too much. Damn ultra's are a huge thorn in the game. Especially in that part of the world.

Fuked up things in this vid:

E0f259wCerY

Haven't seen today's games but seems like a lot of goals today. Dutch are in trouble. Hope England gets it together, but I doubt it.

Btw, for those USA fans not keeping up with World Cup qualifying, USA tied Guatemala last night 1-1.

FlaIronMind
06-13-2012, 05:06 PM
Huge Euro fan. Croatia and Sweden are my two teams.

Have some family in Nijmegen so, by default, I also have to follow Netherlands.

GnomusMaximus
06-13-2012, 06:37 PM
Been terribly out of touch this time....

dbx
06-13-2012, 06:43 PM
LOL, I thought you were talking about the Euro, as in money. And no, I don't think it has a bright future for 2012, and could even collapse by 2013.

Back to your topic.......

Jasonk282
06-13-2012, 08:11 PM
Btw, for those USA fans not keeping up with World Cup qualifying, USA tied Guatemala last night 1-1.

that sucks...we should have beaten them.

SasaAndWendy
06-14-2012, 08:25 AM
Footballer checking in. Germany & Spain def favorites. Italy looking good in their first game which is a lot different than they looked in the friendlies leading up to Euro 2012.
Glad there have been no real violence, though Russia fans were beating on stewards after their first game. They were fined $150,000 for their fan violence. Also glad no big racism incidents, except for the monkey chants at the Dutch practice before the start of the tourney. But, even that is way too much. Damn ultra's are a huge thorn in the game. Especially in that part of the world.

Fuked up things in this vid:

E0f259wCerY

Haven't seen today's games but seems like a lot of goals today. Dutch are in trouble. Hope England gets it together, but I doubt it.

When they first announced that the games were going to be in Poland and Ukraine, I thought, "Uh-oh, this isn't going to go well." And then when Russia and Poland ended up in the same group... aye, aye, aye. It could have been much worse, given the history of the teams. Being a Liverpool fan, I'm sure you're well versed in the downside of Ultras (Heysel, Hillsborough). Sasa is from ex-Yu and has lots of stories about what he grew up with and what continues now. I'm not sure if you've read "Behind the Curtain: Travels in Eastern European Football" by Jonathan Wilson, but if not, I highly recommend it. Gives a lot of context to current day rivalries.

I was gutted that the US game wasn't televised! I couldn't even find a free stream on the internet. That would have been a much better game to see than Antigua!

SasaAndWendy
06-14-2012, 08:33 AM
Huge Euro fan. Croatia and Sweden are my two teams.

Have some family in Nijmegen so, by default, I also have to follow Netherlands.

I went to Euro 2004 in Portugal and followed the Netherlands as a team through the first round, but I can't say I'm a fan. I did always have a soft spot for Ruud van Nistelrooy, though. I think the Brilliant Oranje were better in their Cruyff years but they always have the capacity to surprise! Hrvatska's looking fit this tournament - the game against Italy should be a good one! We back Sweden because of Ibrahimović. Too bad they fell to the Ukraine!

dazlittle
06-14-2012, 09:08 AM
Spain v Ireland and Italy v Croatia this evening, I'll miss the first game but should be home from the gym for the start of the second. Then its to the pub on Friday for Englan/Sweden.

Its been a decent tournament so far with England actually performing better than I thought they would although I don't think they have any chance of winning or even getting to the final!!

mixbwoy
06-14-2012, 10:25 AM
When they first announced that the games were going to be in Poland and Ukraine, I thought, "Uh-oh, this isn't going to go well." And then when Russia and Poland ended up in the same group... aye, aye, aye. It could have been much worse, given the history of the teams. Being a Liverpool fan, I'm sure you're well versed in the downside of Ultras (Heysel, Hillsborough). Sasa is from ex-Yu and has lots of stories about what he grew up with and what continues now. I'm not sure if you've read "Behind the Curtain: Travels in Eastern European Football" by Jonathan Wilson, but if not, I highly recommend it. Gives a lot of context to current day rivalries.

I was gutted that the US game wasn't televised! I couldn't even find a free stream on the internet. That would have been a much better game to see than Antigua!

I'm all for the rivalries. In fact I love them. I can do without the racism that is attached to some clubs. So unfortunate that the worlds game has so much hate in it. Not a fan of big brother, but England has done the right thing with the way they have stomped out the hooliganism aspect that use to plague the English leagues. You are always going to have some idiots doing idiotic things, but I can't understand how UEFA awarded these two countries when there racism is so blatantly open & organized.

that sucks...we should have beaten them.

Playing anywhere in Central America is tricky. The atmosphere is usually pretty intimidating. Guatemala actually tied the game around the 87th minute. But you're right, we should have beaten them.

Spain v Ireland and Italy v Croatia this evening, I'll miss the first game but should be home from the gym for the start of the second. Then its to the pub on Friday for Englan/Sweden.

Its been a decent tournament so far with England actually performing better than I thought they would although I don't think they have any chance of winning or even getting to the final!!

Italy vs Croatia seems like it would be the better game, anyway.

England looked content with the draw. Hope they perform better. Since I follow the EPL I always pull for England, but I wish they would get there act together in tournaments.

mixbwoy
06-14-2012, 02:41 PM
Oh, poor Irish. Got trounced today & first team eliminated from the Euros.

colonna
06-14-2012, 02:45 PM

Nah, more like Germany, Spain.. also I think that Russia will surprise.
brb Germany (gold), Spain (silver), Russia (bronze)

SasaAndWendy
06-14-2012, 03:24 PM
Italy looked weak today. Also it looks like Torres has got his groove back! Now we're to the point where the commentators are going through all the various scenarios for advancing. I always get a kick out of that!

France v Ukraine and England v Sweden tomorrow. Good matches, both of them!

phikappa
06-14-2012, 03:26 PM
Was rooting for Poland hard the other day. Was bummed to see them come up short. Will be watching the other games as I have time.

dazlittle
06-15-2012, 05:05 AM
England looked content with the draw. Hope they perform better. Since I follow the EPL I always pull for England, but I wish they would get there act together in tournaments.

I think more than content, they appeared quite pleased with a draw, Lets see what this evening brings hopefully they have a bit more passion.

jamacdon
06-15-2012, 07:50 AM
Italy looked weak today. Also it looks like Torres has got his groove back! Now we're to the point where the commentators are going through all the various scenarios for advancing. I always get a kick out of that!

France v Ukraine and England v Sweden tomorrow. Good matches, both of them!

Is Ireland back to eating cheese sandwiches before games? ;) Granted, it *is* Spain, but come on ;) Oh well, at least they made it to the tournament. Maybe Scotland and Ireland can join forces -- that way, Scotland will feature in something...

mixbwoy
06-15-2012, 08:12 AM
I think more than content, they appeared quite pleased with a draw, Lets see what this evening brings hopefully they have a bit more passion.

Just read England has never beaten Sweden in a major tournament. UH OH!

Is Ireland back to eating cheese sandwiches before games? ;) Granted, it *is* Spain, but come on ;) Oh well, at least they made it to the tournament. Maybe Scotland and Ireland can join forces -- that way, Scotland will feature in something...

I know there has been a lot of talk of having a UK football/soccer team at the Olympics & not just English players. Including Giggs, Bale, Ramsey & Adams on the team might help. I am not sure if it was decided if they were going to do this. I know some of the countries were against it. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Btw, F**K Torres!

SasaAndWendy
06-15-2012, 08:57 AM
Btw, F**K Torres!

Wait, didn't Torres used to play at.... oh, nevermind, I get it. ;) Scousers have long memories!

mixbwoy
06-15-2012, 09:04 AM
Wait, didn't Torres used to play at.... oh, nevermind, I get it. ;) Scousers have long memories!

Exactly! Not a scouser, in true definition, but I do love my club.

http://img.ibtimes.com/www/data/images/full/2011/02/05/63415-defaced-fernando-torres-photograph-is-displayed-in-the-window-of-a-sou.jpg

jamacdon
06-15-2012, 09:08 AM
I know there has been a lot of talk of having a UK football/soccer team at the Olympics & not just English players. Including Giggs, Bale, Ramsey & Adams on the team might help. I am not sure if it was decided if they were going to do this. I know some of the countries were against it. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Yeah, I just don't see that happening. How do you choose players, or would there be a certain % from each country? I wish SCO could get players like Burley, Lambert and Collins back. Not the greatest, but it worked. With the EPL being flush with players from everywhere but the UK, I think it'll be hard to get the competition needed. You can't rely on Celtic and Rangers anymore.

Btw, F**K Torres!

Pretty much.

jamacdon
06-15-2012, 09:11 AM
JUDAS PIC

Mo Johnston was the original ;)

GnomusMaximus
06-15-2012, 09:31 AM
My understanding is that the IOC, FIFA, and the FA came to a deal where an England team will represent the UK in the Olympics.

jamacdon
06-15-2012, 09:45 AM
My understanding is that the IOC, FIFA, and the FA came to a deal where an England team will represent the UK in the Olympics.

I think that's true, but I thought it was also the Scottish, N. Irish, and Welsh FAs that said they were not going to participate, so they had no problem with an all-English team. Looks like Giggs and Ramsey wanted to play...

SasaAndWendy
06-15-2012, 10:10 AM
Wow - France v Ukraine match suspended. It's pouring there! We went to the BiH v Mexico match in Chicago a few weeks ago and it we got drenched there but I guess one the lightning starts, they have to call it.

So what's worse - the match being suspended or having to listen to Alexi Lalas in the meantime? :)

GnomusMaximus
06-15-2012, 10:48 AM
I think that's true, but I thought it was also the Scottish, N. Irish, and Welsh FAs that said they were not going to participate, so they had no problem with an all-English team. Looks like Giggs and Ramsey wanted to play...

Probably true, I could especially imagine the Scott FA doing that.

mixbwoy
06-15-2012, 11:20 AM
Mo Johnston was the original ;)

Lol. Ahhh, Old Firm. Great rivalry.

I believe they did want to play, guess it's not going to happen. Becks will get the call either way.

So what's worse - the match being suspended or having to listen to Alexi Lalas in the meantime? :)

I hate listening to Lalas! But even worse is listening to Ballack. He gives those short answers & doesn't explain anything. He has a hard time going away from the script. It is so hard to listen to guys talk when English is not their native language. Plus he has that German sense of humor, which is none. I just watch the tv screaming STFU!

erinlee01
06-15-2012, 11:23 AM
Whoa - Ballack is commentating? My husband has been trying to get me to watch this for days and I can't believe he did not mention this. I have a crush on Ballack...

pharmamarketer
06-15-2012, 12:18 PM
Day off. Watching France and Ukraine

SasaAndWendy
06-15-2012, 12:58 PM
I hate listening to Lalas! But even worse is listening to Ballack. He gives those short answers & doesn't explain anything. He has a hard time going away from the script. It is so hard to listen to guys talk when English is not their native language. Plus he has that German sense of humor, which is none. I just watch the tv screaming STFU!

As a Timbers fan (on the same order of magnitude with which you're a Liverpool fan), I simply cannot stand watching Kasey Keller commentating. I'm surprised the TVs in the house have made it unscathed for this long.

Speaking of rivalries, we play Seattle (or as we affectionately call them, ****tle) next Sunday. But that's a whole 'nother thread....

colonna
06-15-2012, 01:11 PM
Go Sweden!

mixbwoy
06-15-2012, 01:20 PM
Whoa - Ballack is commentating? My husband has been trying to get me to watch this for days and I can't believe he did not mention this. I have a crush on Ballack...

Your feelings might change after listening to him.

As a Timbers fan (on the same order of magnitude with which you're a Liverpool fan), I simply cannot stand watching Kasey Keller commentating. I'm surprised the TVs in the house have made it unscathed for this long.

Speaking of rivalries, we play Seattle (or as we affectionately call them, ****tle) next Sunday. But that's a whole 'nother thread....

Would rather listen to Keller than the other two. In the US the commentary is getting better, but it still has a long way to go. Back in the day I use to watch the games on one of the spanish channels just to avoid the agony. I was so happy they hired Ian Darke to call games. Can't stand listening to Taylor Twellman either. Bob Ley is the only other guy that doesn't make my head hurt. I do like Rob Stone, but he is with Fox now & they have a list of bad commentators that rival ESPN. I guess I'm spoiled from all the British broadcasters.

Those Northeast derbies with Seattle, Portland & Vancouver are the best in MLS. Great fans.

MiamiSpartan
06-15-2012, 01:51 PM
Just got off of a cruise, and they were showing all of the games...got to take in parts of 6 games this week...Fun to see all the international guests rocking their country's jerseys for the games...

dazlittle
06-15-2012, 02:59 PM
Go Sweden!

Unlucky ;-)

colonna
06-15-2012, 03:01 PM
Unlucky ;-)

I know brah! Congrats!

dazlittle
06-15-2012, 03:13 PM
I know brah! Congrats!

It was an awesome game, very surprised by Englands performance. Walcott was outstanding.

mixbwoy
06-15-2012, 04:09 PM
Wish I watched the England-Sweden game. Highlights looked good.

But, Andy Carroll, why you no score like that for Liverpool?

SasaAndWendy
06-20-2012, 08:51 AM
I hate this point in the tournament; first day with no games!

Definitely looking forward to the next 4 days, although probably won't get to finish watching the match on Sunday because the Timbers play at 2pm. Gotta support the local first!

Thoughts for the next round?

FlaIronMind
06-20-2012, 08:08 PM
Well, so much for my teams of Croatia and Sweden. At least Sweden went out on a high note.

mixbwoy
06-24-2012, 12:15 PM
Hope Three Lions pull off win vs the Azzuri.

mixbwoy
06-24-2012, 09:37 PM
Damn England & penalties. Don't see Italy beating the Germans. Going to be Germany, Spain final.

dazlittle
06-25-2012, 01:05 AM
bugger!

jamacdon
06-25-2012, 06:59 AM
Damn England & penalties. Don't see Italy beating the Germans. Going to be Germany, Spain final.

I agree, though I wouldn't mind seeing Portugal with an upset.

SasaAndWendy
06-25-2012, 09:21 AM
Darned England-Italy game caused the Timbers game to be shown late. Just in case you didn't see our tifo, here's a peek:

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj556/teamsplashi/482449_10150887520041120_1243227206.jpg

(That's Clive Charles, in case you were wondering.)

mixbwoy
06-25-2012, 05:48 PM
I agree, though I wouldn't mind seeing Portugal with an upset.

Wouldn't mind seeing this either, even though I'm not a Ronaldo fan.

mixbwoy
06-25-2012, 05:50 PM
Darned England-Italy game caused the Timbers game to be shown late. Just in case you didn't see our tifo, here's a peek:

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj556/teamsplashi/482449_10150887520041120_1243227206.jpg

(That's Clive Charles, in case you were wondering.)

Best atmosphere in MLS. Seattle almost came back.

sy2502
06-25-2012, 06:15 PM

I can't believe Italy couldn't close the game before penalties, they had the ball the whole time. Will probably take a spanking from Germany.

Italy fan right here, but realistic is realistic.

nvrstopworking
06-28-2012, 01:53 PM
I can't believe Italy couldn't close the game before penalties, they had the ball the whole time. Will probably take a spanking from Germany.

Italy fan right here, but realistic is realistic.

You must be pretty happy right about now chickie.

2-0 Italy at half (vs. Germany).

sy2502
06-28-2012, 03:10 PM
You must be pretty happy right about now chickie.

2-0 Italy at half (vs. Germany).

http://cupofzup.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/http-_28.media_.tumblr.com_tumblr_lmwndiP7g31qgs0wao1_4 00.gif.gif

FlaIronMind
06-28-2012, 04:12 PM
Gonna be a great final.

mixbwoy
06-28-2012, 06:28 PM
http://cupofzup.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/http-_28.media_.tumblr.com_tumblr_lmwndiP7g31qgs0wao1_4 00.gif.gif

Holy Balotelli! Just saw highlights.
Spain, Italy final. Spain obvious favorites to win now. Spain will def control the midfield. Italy will need another great game from Super Mario to win. Can't wait!

sy2502
06-28-2012, 06:48 PM
Spain, Italy final. Spain obvious favorites to win now. Spain will def control the midfield. Italy will need another great game from Super Mario to win. Can't wait!

I haven't seen the game yet, it's recorded and will watch when I get home from work. With my stupid luck, I had a dentist appointment. I actually told the doc to skip the anesthetic, to get it done faster (I know, that was fukking stupid, you don't need to tell me).

mixbwoy
06-28-2012, 09:17 PM
I haven't seen the game yet, it's recorded and will watch when I get home from work. With my stupid luck, I had a dentist appointment. I actually told the doc to skip the anesthetic, to get it done faster (I know, that was fukking stupid, you don't need to tell me).

Ouch! But, lmao.

SasaAndWendy
06-29-2012, 11:17 AM

Definitely for Spain in this one, but after yesterday's Balotelli-fest, I don't think anyone's a favorite. I went in that match for Italy but preparing to be disappointed since Germany is so good. Pleasantly surprised. We saw a Spain-Germany final back in 2008 so something different would be a good thing. Plus, I like seeing Spain kick butt all over Europe (Germany 2008, Diving Dutch 2010, Italia 2012)! :)

nvrstopworking
06-29-2012, 11:46 AM

Holy hell.... you ARE a hardcore fan! LOL! :D

mixbwoy
06-30-2012, 11:07 PM
Definitely for Spain in this one, but after yesterday's Balotelli-fest, I don't think anyone's a favorite. I went in that match for Italy but preparing to be disappointed since Germany is so good. Pleasantly surprised. We saw a Spain-Germany final back in 2008 so something different would be a good thing. Plus, I like seeing Spain kick butt all over Europe (Germany 2008, Diving Dutch 2010, Italia 2012)! :)

On paper Spain is favored. They should be able to control the midfield with all their talent. Pulling for Italy in this one though. I am a fan of Balotelli even though he is a clown & since Torres plays for Spain & can't cheer for them.

My favorite Balotelli video. Just for the lulz.

lYU-SeVofHs

Big_Sky_Guy
07-01-2012, 01:29 PM
Italy.....where are you?

Hoping you make a game of it!

mixbwoy
07-01-2012, 06:37 PM
Italy.....where are you?

Hoping you make a game of it!

Answer = Nope.

http://i.minus.com/iFYQxxI8pdBF2.gif

nvrstopworking
07-01-2012, 07:15 PM
A good buddy of mine lived in Spain when the World Cup was going on and he made this vid on the night that they won. I'd imagine that similar celebrations are going on right now. :)

AFl6n2n0P7o

erinlee01
07-02-2012, 06:14 AM
My husband always asks my 7 year old who is going to win any given game. He's 100%. So, starting on Saturday, he started asking about the final - red or blue. Kev answered red. Hubby told him he better be wrong. So yesterday, he changed up the question and asked Italy or Spain. Kev answered Spain. Hubby is not happy that Kev is still 100%. :)