PDA

View Full Version : Question about my protein intake?

rosky71
06-13-2012, 12:09 PM
OK so I am currently on a bulk and I am hitting my macros but my question is after following the guidelines in the "calculating your macros sticky" 1-1.33 per pound of total weight I come out to 188g-250g protein but if I do 1.25 per lbm I get 195g (that's if I guessed my body fat% right) and if I do the 1.5x total weight I get 282g (but that's beside the point)

so lets just put it at a nice even number and say 200g protein daily. But on my diet I'm taking in upwards of 300+ a day. So my question for you all is that much more protein going to ruin my kidneys? and if so what can i do to hit my calorie target but limit the protein intake? I am trying to eat whole non processed foods 95% of the time which is why I'm sticking to so much meat

psychodiver9
06-13-2012, 12:15 PM
Why are you eating 300+ grams when you dot need it. On a bulk you could even eat on the low end

enexi0688
06-13-2012, 02:04 PM
I've been told that too much protein won't hurt you. Just the fact your body can't absorb but so much of it so there is no need to have that much in one day. Limit yourself to no more than 200g a day. Your body will do fine with that amount.

WonderPug
06-13-2012, 02:07 PM
^ Ignore this nonsense re: absorption.

OP: At your current weight, anything beyond ~170 grams is not going to provide any special benefit. That said, there's no harm in consuming more protein if you so desire and such consumption will simply add to your total daily energy intake.

psychodiver9
06-13-2012, 02:08 PM
I've been told that too much protein won't hurt you. Just the fact your body can't absorb but so much of it so there is no need to have that much in one day. Limit yourself to no more than 200g a day. Your body will do fine with that amount.

This is incorrect. The issue isn't that he can't absorb it but that it provides no additional benefit to him. If it's food preference Thats fine but you'd probably be better served eating 200g of pro and increasing cho

enexi0688
06-13-2012, 02:19 PM
Where I've been instructed on it is that your body can only do so much with protein on a daily basis. Had a guy I used to workout with claiming "Oh protein is god! Drink protein drinks all the time, eat nothing but lean meat and protein bars only for snacks." He wouldn't stop... After a point it doesn't do any good for him. Maybe absorb wasn't the best word but basically after a point, the body really can't do anything. And I believe I was right on part of my post, hence we both agreed on the 200g per day part.

WonderPug
06-13-2012, 02:27 PM
Where I've been instructed on it is that your body can only do so much with protein on a daily basis. Had a guy I used to workout with claiming "Oh protein is god! Drink protein drinks all the time, eat nothing but lean meat and protein bars only for snacks." He wouldn't stop... After a point it doesn't do any good for him. Maybe absorb wasn't the best word but basically after a point, the body really can't do anything. And I believe I was right on part of my post, hence we both agreed on the 200g per day part.You seem confused.

Your body need energy and specific nutrients. Protein intake contributes to your total energy intake and provides specific nutrients. While you might not receive special benefits after consuming more than x amount of protein, the additional intake contributes to your total energy intake. The same goes for dietary fat and CHO.

And, since you need much more energy intake than what is provided by macronutrient intake that simply meets macronutrient sufficiency, you will as a practical matter consume more of at least one or two macronutrients than is required to meet basic sufficiency.

rosky71
06-14-2012, 05:17 AM
thank you all for the help, I will cut back on protein intake limit it to around 200g and try to up my carbs and maybe even fats even more

razorfin
06-14-2012, 05:21 AM
How much fat do you have in your daily diet?

nobrah
06-14-2012, 05:26 AM
Where I've been instructed on it is that your body can only do so much with protein on a daily basis. Had a guy I used to workout with claiming "Oh protein is god! Drink protein drinks all the time, eat nothing but lean meat and protein bars only for snacks." He wouldn't stop... After a point it doesn't do any good for him. Maybe absorb wasn't the best word but basically after a point, the body really can't do anything. And I believe I was right on part of my post, hence we both agreed on the 200g per day part.
The protein is still being absorbed and used, but not as immediate anabolic components or contributors to the protein pool. Excess protein is oxidized for energy as a secondary source (glucose being the primary source).

Flex500
06-14-2012, 05:27 AM
thank you all for the help, I will cut back on protein intake limit it to around 200g and try to up my carbs and maybe even fats even more\

just by that remark I am suspect your fat intake is way too low. How many calories are you eating roughly and how much carbs, fat, protein? Well you said protein was "over 300" so how much CHO and fat?

IF you are avoiding fat I'd start there...it will probably not only help with gains but also with your overall health...

Here is where I am at...

350c
156f
300p

Total: 4000

fat is not "bad" don't be scared of it my man

enexi0688
06-14-2012, 06:34 AM
To those that posted regarding my comment, thanks for the insight. Apparently not all info I had been given by the trainer I spoke with was accurate. Changes my thoughts upon protein for sure. Appreciate all the comments and heads up I got.

rosky71
06-14-2012, 06:56 AM
\

just by that remark I am suspect your fat intake is way too low. How many calories are you eating roughly and how much carbs, fat, protein? Well you said protein was "over 300" so how much CHO and fat?

IF you are avoiding fat I'd start there...it will probably not only help with gains but also with your overall health...

Here is where I am at...

350c
156f
300p

Total: 4000

fat is not "bad" don't be scared of it my man

How much fat do you have in your daily diet?

my calorie intake is 3500 my carbs are on average about 360g range Fats on average 100g and Protein 300+