PDA

View Full Version : BMR calculator with Harris Benedict Formula and daily calorie calculator confusion?

MiguelGee
06-13-2012, 08:51 AM
Okay so im trying to cut and find out how many calories i need to take.
I'm a male 6'1, 17 years old, and weigh 183
I workout 4-5 days a week

The daily calorie calculator tells me i need 2794 calories for maintenance weight and 2.2k calories to lose weight

My BMR is 2027 calories burned without doing anything. With the Harris Benedict Formula ( 2027x1.55 ) = 3141.85 calories to maintain weight.

Where im confused at is that is the BMR with the formula telling me that's how many calories i need to eat to maintain weight or how many calories i burn along with exercise? Keep in mind that im cutting right now. So do i follow the BMR or the daily calorie.
if my calculations are wrong please notify me. thanks!

chameleonism
06-13-2012, 09:05 AM
First, the formulas only give you estimates based on averages and you will have to adjust based on your own results. Also, they were designed for adults who are fully developed which a 17 year old is not. I know you want to cut but at your height/weight/age, I would recommend a nice bulk.

Without a picture it's hard to say, but you either don't have much lean muscle mass so cutting will make you look like skin and bones or you don't have a ton of body fat anyway so you don't really need to cut. My personal recommendation to anyone in their teens is to not cut unless they are obese. Take advantage of your growing years by lifting and eating!

edit: For your question. BMR needs to be multiplied by activity (you used 1.55)...so 3141 would be to maintain weight (if the formula is accurate for you). -500 for a solid cut, +10-20% for a solid bulk.

MiguelGee
06-13-2012, 09:15 AM
First, the formulas only give you estimates based on averages and you will have to adjust based on your own results. Also, they were designed for adults who are fully developed which a 17 year old is not. I know you want to cut but at your height/weight/age, I would recommend a nice bulk.

Without a picture it's hard to say, but you either don't have much lean muscle mass so cutting will make you look like skin and bones or you don't have a ton of body fat anyway so you don't really need to cut. My personal recommendation to anyone in their teens is to not cut unless they are obese. Take advantage of your growing years by lifting and eating!

edit: For your question. BMR needs to be multiplied by activity (you used 1.55)...so 3141 would be to maintain weight (if the formula is accurate for you). -500 for a solid cut, +10-20% for a solid bulk.

Thanks for the advice man! btw theres a pic of me.

chameleonism
06-13-2012, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the advice man! btw theres a pic of me.

Not the greatest pic, but I would start a nice long bulk and save your cut for next spring. It doesn't look like you have much muscle mass so cutting is overkill imo. Of course, its your decision.