PDA

View Full Version : Has Starbucks taken over America?

Whatanejit
06-12-2012, 03:48 AM
Goodness me they are everywhere! :eek:

Apart from being on almost every corner they 'are proud to serve Starbucks coffee' in the hotel, in the University, everywhere.

They are certainly high profile in the UK but have a lot of high profile competitors such as Costa Coffee and Cafe Nero.

A lot of my friends support the independent cafes that pop up run by an Italian or Eastern European family or similar - we try not to support the conglomerates 'that' much.

Would a 'family' business be able to compete with the big boy coffee shops in the U.S?

What is it like where you live?

tsoden
06-12-2012, 04:42 AM
Starbucks attackes the artsy crowd, while Tim Hortons and McDonalds attract the mainstream crowd. At least that is the impression over here.

That being said, I enjoy coffee from all three for different reasons.

Lionology
06-12-2012, 04:44 AM
A family business could compete but as of right now, Starbucks seems to be the standard.

beachguy498
06-12-2012, 05:04 AM
No doubt good coffee.. but if they had to depend on my dollar, they would have dried up and blown away 10 years ago. I do notice them, but would rather hit 7-11 when I need my fix for 1/2 the price.

Rob

pharmamarketer
06-12-2012, 05:30 AM
Dunkin Donuts gives them a run for their money. I'm not sure who has a greater share of the coffee market though

beachguy498
06-12-2012, 07:08 AM
Dunkin Donuts gives them a run for their money. I'm not sure who has a greater share of the coffee market though

DD is good stuff... also has great donut combo deals all the time. Overall, I'd say that DD is bigger, could be wrong though.

Rob

tsoden
06-12-2012, 07:10 AM
DD is good stuff... also has great donut combo deals all the time. Overall, I'd say that DD is bigger, could be wrong though.

Rob

I will disagree... Not a fan of DD cofee at all....

Bando
06-12-2012, 07:20 AM
Funny, I just heard this on NPR this morning, and thought it was interesting:

http://www.npr.org/2012/06/12/154793475/starbucks-order-gives-ohio-mug-maker-a-jolt

StressMonkey
06-12-2012, 07:34 AM
eZZAFRWTGZ8

BillReilly
06-12-2012, 07:48 AM
http://youtu.be/6DyG60KT-MY

D3D
06-12-2012, 09:51 AM
They have taken over. They even have Starbucks on US Navy aircraft carriers now, not just the coffee, an actual Starbucks kiosk/counter and the sailors working it are sent through Starbucks barista training. It's cheaper at least, around $2.50 when I saw it on the Ike, and all of the money goes to MWR (Morale/Welfare/Recreation).

Brackneyc
06-12-2012, 09:59 AM
They have taken over. They even have Starbucks on US Navy aircraft carriers now, not just the coffee, an actual Starbucks kiosk/counter and the sailors working it are sent through Starbucks barista training. It's cheaper at least, around $2.50 when I saw it on the Ike, and all of the money goes to MWR (Morale/Welfare/Recreation).

I remember my first cup of SB coffee. It was on Lackland AFB when my daughter graduated from BT. Prices were great. So, when I got off base, I decided I had to have one (Latte') I'll be darned, it was about twice the price. I now stick with good old Folgers.

D3D
06-12-2012, 10:08 AM
I remember my first cup of SB coffee. It was on Lackland AFB when my daughter graduated from BT. Prices were great. So, when I got off base, I decided I had to have one (Latte') I'll be darned, it was about twice the price. I now stick with good old Folgers.

Yeah, I have a really hard time paying that much for coffee. Altho, I loved the eggnog lattes they had in the winter. When I started getting healthy I made the mistake of looking up the stats, 620 calories, 29g fat, 63g sugar...I was offended LOL It did have 20g of protein tho :)

Brackneyc
06-12-2012, 10:09 AM
Yeah, I have a really hard time paying that much for coffee. Altho, I loved the eggnog lattes they had in the winter. When I started getting healthy I made the mistake of looking up the stats, 620 calories, 29g fat, 63g sugar...I was offended LOL It did have 20g of protein tho :)

I have been known to drop a tablespoon of light whip cream into my Folgers...sort of a poor man's latte'. :D

tsoden
06-12-2012, 10:14 AM
http://youtu.be/6DyG60KT-MY

how many people counted the F**ks in this?

crupiea
06-12-2012, 10:27 AM
There was a starbucks near my work that was right across the street from a mom and pop place.

The starbucks closed and the mom and pop is still there.

cowboybiker
06-12-2012, 11:09 AM
I've only got 2 that are close to me.
I only do 1 cup a week on Fridays.

Its my special treat.

2nd_chance
06-12-2012, 12:54 PM
Starbucks attackes the artsy crowd, while Tim Hortons and McDonalds attract the mainstream crowd. At least that is the impression over here.

That being said, I enjoy coffee from all three for different reasons.Artsy? Really?

erinlee01
06-12-2012, 01:18 PM
DD is bigger near me. My town has 1 Starbucks and 5-6 Dunkin Donuts.

latebloomingmom
06-12-2012, 01:25 PM
DD is bigger near me. My town has 1 Starbucks and 5-6 Dunkin Donuts.holy cow, that would be dangerous.
We have a starbucks on campus but I avoid that building...I am alright as long as I dont smell it:)

IronCharles
06-12-2012, 01:34 PM
I've been in a Starbucks one time, and that was to use the bathroom. Ordered a latte, left unimpressed. Will not return to waste another five bucks.

WoofieNugget
06-12-2012, 01:43 PM
If I want something different I'll go there but Tim Horton's gets my money 98% of the time. Also if I want something high octane because I find if I have a coffee from Starbucks it is super jacked with caffeine.

cowboybiker
06-12-2012, 04:01 PM
I've been in a Starbucks one time, and that was to use the bathroom. Ordered a latte, left unimpressed. Will not return to waste another five bucks.Cause a latte is a girls drink.

oh wait........ nevermind

:p

IronCharles
06-12-2012, 04:39 PM
Cause a latte is a girls drink.

oh wait........ nevermind

:pWell, you're the expert.... thanks for the heads up! ;)

I can't see paying the same price for a couple cups of black coffee as I could pay for a whole can of ground at the store.

cowboybiker
06-12-2012, 04:41 PM
Well, you're the expert.... thanks for the heads up! ;)If we ever meet up I will buy you a decent cup of coffee.

Just make sure you bring your tea set. ;)

IronCharles
06-12-2012, 04:49 PM
Just make sure you bring your tea set. ;)Why? Been a while since your last tea bagging? :)

tmonkey
06-12-2012, 04:54 PM
never been to a starbucks

all the talk about DD is funny
to bad she does not post more :(

cowboybiker
06-12-2012, 04:59 PM
Why? Been a while since your last tea bagging? :)http://i.ytimg.com/vi/e38gsCNZFDk/0.jpg

IronCharles
06-12-2012, 05:02 PM
[img]http://i.ytimg.com/vi/e38gsCNZFDk/0.jpg[img]Know how I know you're ghey? :p

trymarine
06-12-2012, 05:27 PM
how many people counted the F**ks in this? Icould listen to this bloke all day,tells it like it is,could'nt stop giggling at his rants,
the no speak English one had me howling!

Chaan
06-12-2012, 05:44 PM
eZZAFRWTGZ8

Hehe, I prefer those over other companies. I know an american chick who used to be a manager in one of those american cafés and they know what they're doing for sure! I actually haven't visited one yet but they are now strongly marching into Sweden after a hesitating start 2009. The chick has stopped phoning me ;)

Frnkd
06-12-2012, 06:26 PM
I will disagree... Not a fan of DD cofee at all....

Sorry I have to disagree on this. But than I like buying my coffee by the gallon which DD does or did, seems DD comes and goes with the tide. Now I buy the coffee at a grocery store.

Artsy? Really?

The one think that I am curious about is that it seems the person that works at SB are the same kind of person that would work at Barnes and Nobles. Whats with the "barristas", most have jet black hair, metal coming out there lip, ear, nose and tongue, and seems to be from some southern california valley :D.....HAHAHAHA
maybe that's what you mean by artsy.......

Apart from being on almost every corner they 'are proud to serve Starbucks coffee' in the hotel, in the University, everywhere.

They are certainly high profile in the UK but have a lot of high profile competitors such as Costa Coffee and Cafe Nero.

A lot of my friends support the independent cafes that pop up run by an Italian or Eastern European family or similar - we try not to support the conglomerates 'that' much.

Would a 'family' business be able to compete with the big boy coffee shops in the U.S?

Been to Tokyo.....its everywhere over there!

Whatanejit
06-12-2012, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the comments and insights folks.

They clearly have a good business model so hats off to them.

We don't have DD over here but we do have Krispy Kreme. I'll have to say I do like their coffee. Nice and stong and you can buy a small one that holds a proper cup size and not a bucket ;)

sakoy
06-12-2012, 11:26 PM
SB is incredibly successful. I don't like their coffee or their prices. I like old fashioned coffee shop coffee.....not too strong, not too weak.

V-240
06-13-2012, 12:10 AM
eZZAFRWTGZ8

There's a Starbucks near me that went up a few years ago in front of a Safeway grocery store that has a Starbucks inside. But clearly it's too far away!

IronCharles
06-13-2012, 12:34 AM
I'll just leave this here......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rWJmvFIIoQ

paolo59
06-13-2012, 11:08 AM
Well, you're the expert.... thanks for the heads up! ;)

I can't see paying the same price for a couple cups of black coffee as I could pay for a whole can of ground at the store.

They are just a bit pricey! I'm content with my Nescafe. :)

beachguy498
06-13-2012, 01:28 PM
They might be taking over... saw one in the local Target yesterday. Across the same parking lot is another in a book store. What if one day we see a SB inside a SB?

Rob

Brackneyc
06-13-2012, 01:43 PM
They might be taking over... saw one in the local Target yesterday. Across the same parking lot is another in a book store. What if one day we see a SB inside a SB?

Rob

That would be worlds colliding. A SB divided by itself cannot stand.

SasaAndWendy
06-13-2012, 02:00 PM
There's a Starbucks near me that went up a few years ago in front of a Safeway grocery store that has a Starbucks inside. But clearly it's too far away!

They did that here, too! Although now the standalone store is being converted into one of their "after hours" places where they serve wine and beer in the evenings. Luckily we have enough awesome coffee around Portland that Starbucks can easily be avoided. I love the new "cup at a time" brewing that is catching on around here. With a good, fresh roast, there is nothing better and it needs no additions (cream, sugar).

SasaAndWendy
06-13-2012, 02:01 PM
That would be worlds colliding. A SB divided by itself cannot stand.

Division by zero? ;)

Oceanside
06-13-2012, 02:07 PM
who would want to go to a coffee shop without gasoline pumps outside ?

V-240
06-13-2012, 03:00 PM
They did that here, too! Although now the standalone store is being converted into one of their "after hours" places where they serve wine and beer in the evenings. Luckily we have enough awesome coffee around Portland that Starbucks can easily be avoided. I love the new "cup at a time" brewing that is catching on around here. With a good, fresh roast, there is nothing better and it needs no additions (cream, sugar).

Yeah, I pretty much quit Starbucks after I got my Keurig brewer. It's awesome.

Nikonguy
06-13-2012, 03:06 PM
I'll just leave this here......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rWJmvFIIoQActually they came and played at my college. The keyboard player came out for the first four songs (their greatest hits) and then he left. The rest of the band rocked out pretty well for the next hour.

Frnkd
06-13-2012, 05:28 PM
Yeah, I pretty much quit Starbucks after I got my Keurig brewer. It's awesome.

Same here too! But if I really need a cup I don't mind going to SB and getting a Mocha.

LisaSkinnoble
06-13-2012, 07:18 PM
I prefer Timmies, as it is more of my culture. Tim Horton is a Canadian hockey player and it is just part of our culture up here.

In fact, MD is really marketing towards the Timmies crowd with the Canadiana culture recenctly, and it kind of bugs me. Tim's has always been involved in community sports, and by their commercials, you would think McDonald's was. I will never buy a coffee from McDonald's.

I like Starbuck's for their tea, but I do not like their coffee.

Whatanejit
06-14-2012, 07:41 PM
So is Timmies only available in Canada Lisa?

Good to read you have your own National brand to support :)

Brackneyc
06-14-2012, 07:52 PM
Folgers at my house this weekend. I will supply cream, sugar and whip cream. All you can drink. :D

Whatanejit
06-14-2012, 07:57 PM
I bet it tastes good with a drop of Irish in the bottom :)

V-240
06-14-2012, 08:18 PM
Tim Horton's has teamed up with some Arby's outlets and has kiosks in some airports and shopping malls in the US. They also make coffee podules for my Keurig brewer.

SP1966
06-14-2012, 08:20 PM
I bet it tastes good with a drop of Irish in the bottom :)

You keep the Irish, and everyone else for that matter away from my bottom! :eek:

eomrat
06-14-2012, 08:41 PM
I once swore that I would never drink a cup of SB coffee. (due to me being a cheap bastard) However, in the Airport in Kuwait city, the only place that you can get wireless access and a power plug-in is in the Starbucks. Deal is that you have to be a customer. So, on my way home in 2007, I went in and bought a cup of coffee. Since I did not have any Dinar, I paid with US for my small cup of cappuccino.

$14

erinlee01
06-15-2012, 06:49 AM
Timmies is in Buffalo, as well. I used to live down the street from one and hit it up every morning! Seems like I have seen it other places while traveling, but I can't recall where.

cactusflower
06-15-2012, 06:55 AM
There are starbucks stores here (toronto) but not tons of them. Most of ours are in Chapters (like the U.S.'s Barnes & Noble - i think that's the big book store).

However there is a Tim's on almost every corner...lol. They are EVERYWHERE - gas stations, grocery stores, shopping malls, air port, rest stops etc and keep popping up!! I can't count how many are in the vicinty of where I live...

Whatanejit
06-16-2012, 03:37 PM
You keep the Irish, and everyone else for that matter away from my bottom! :eek:

You are such a sensitive soul :p

$14

^^ that is outrageous!!

Ok so Timmies is taking over too - I'm just glad there is some healthy competition out there :)

UnaChispita
06-16-2012, 03:49 PM

More Caribou Coffee shops where I live. With that said, I drink Nescafe at home and if I want to splurge (on the weekend) I go to a locally owned coffee shop. I live in kind of a "hippie" area, so people love to support local business (They also love to compost, and knit their own socks). There is a Starbucks a mile away, but I've never been there.

rendylee
06-16-2012, 04:13 PM

That being said, I enjoy coffee from all three for different reasons.

Love my timmies....not that I go often, but when travelling it is a ritual....all though the line ups at the drive through and inside the stores are mind boggling here sometimes no word of a lie, 20 cars deep, and sometimes 30 deep inside?? ...and sometimes, yes, I am insane enough to wait

There was a starbucks near my work that was right across the street from a mom and pop place.

The starbucks closed and the mom and pop is still there.

That's cool

Artsy? Really?

Yup, in Edmonton anyways :9

We have one block here that has 4 Starbucks basically kitty corner to each other....it surprizes me, maybe a 2 minute walk from one to the other??

Brackneyc
06-16-2012, 07:20 PM
Artsy? Really?

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a165/brackney/risky-business-egg.jpg

Arsty....