PDA

View Full Version : for those that saw PROMETHEUS...

JOHN GARGANI
06-11-2012, 04:46 AM
while a visual spectacular, this movie left me shaking my head about several things, the most important of all, is: why was the Engineer so inherently violent??

when he was "revived" and greeted by the android in his own language, how did that merit tearing off the android's head and knocking the others around like rag dolls?

if such a race existed, with such a high level of technical science, then why the whole aggression thing?

and for that matter, if they were the ones who started the whole DNA thing here on Earth, why, then, did they now intend to destroy us?

can't find any explanations of this on the net, anywhere.....

chodan9
06-11-2012, 05:06 AM
I was left wondering some of the same things.
apparently they were inherently violent given that the had a weapons of mass destruction facility on that planet (might want to put "spoilers" in the title btw)
that said, I wonder if the original alien who gave his life to create life here (I am speculating that is what he was doing) was a different faction of the same alien race.

JOHN GARGANI
06-11-2012, 09:37 AM
I was left wondering some of the same things.
apparently they were inherently violent given that the had a weapons of mass destruction facility on that planet (might want to put "spoilers" in the title btw)
that said, I wonder if the original alien who gave his life to create life here (I am speculating that is what he was doing) was a different faction of the same alien race.

I thought about "spoilers", however, worded it "those that SAW", but I know what you mean.....

and if that particular guy WAS a different faction, we certainly weren't given that information....

I read that they were hoping to not just make one of these "prequels" but give it enough interest to warrant it's own sequel...if that is the case, they may address some of these issues...

StressMonkey
06-11-2012, 07:04 PM
This is an interesting theory: http://blastr.com/2012/06/this-awesome-theory-expla.php

IronCharles
06-11-2012, 07:08 PM
If you were building a military instillation as a construction center for WMD's and as a launching point for the invasion and destruction of Earth, and you've been planning and training for this mission for possibly years, and you are put in stasis knowing that when you wake up you're going to be killing as many humans as possible, and then you wake up and the first thing you see is a bunch of humans on your ship...... whatcha gonna doo? :)

StressMonkey
06-11-2012, 07:37 PM
If you were building a military instillation as a construction center for WMD's and as a launching point for the invasion and destruction of Earth, and you've been planning and training for this mission for possibly years, and you are put in stasis knowing that when you wake up you're going to be killing as many humans as possible, and then you wake up and the first thing you see is a bunch of humans on your ship...... whatcha gonna doo? :)

"What's this jibber jabber this plastic fool is speaking?" :mad:

LeroyV
06-11-2012, 07:45 PM
We don't know for sure the the robot/cyborg "really" said to the engineer. Because he did imply that he wanted his "father" dead.

I have some questions too. Why did the android sabotage the crew by poisoning the other guy with the black goo?

And for the guy who said how come they are so violent. Just because their smart doesn't mean their not violent lol.

All in all I thought the movie was good but left too many questions unanswered for them to say their not planning a sequel but to warrant a sequel. Of course people want to see a sequel only because you gave us a movie with hardly any info on anything. Lol.

IronCharles
06-11-2012, 09:16 PM
If you think about it, in the original Alien movie, the pilot they found had an internal explosion wound (while still in his seat, unlike the pilot in this film), from some kind of chest burster alien. It stands to reason that the ship the Nostromo crew found was not the one involved in the Prometheus movie. Therefore, either the xenomorph aliens figured out how to wake up the crews in the other ships, or........ the remaining characters in the current movie had something to do with it, either by meeting up with the engineers and going back, or just going back on their own, or they could have changed their mind and went back to earth and the "company" sent reinforcements, a la the Aliens sequel premise.

And, let's not forget that the surviving lady still has some of the alien DNA in her, even after "surgery". We could be looking at another Alien3 or (God forbid) Alien Resurrection scenario where the survivor has somehow morphed into or become important to the alien species.

(And as far as poisoning the scientist with alien DNA, the android did ask the guy how far he was willing to go to find out the truth, and the guy did say he'd do anything, so it kinda gives the android a pass, of sorts.)

Either way, there's plenty of unfinished business to warrant a sequel, if the box office is good enough. When I saw it on Monday afternoon, there were only 5 other people in the whole theater besides me.

StressMonkey
06-11-2012, 10:50 PM
If you think about it, in the original Alien movie, the pilot they found had an internal explosion wound (while still in his seat, unlike the pilot in this film), from some kind of chest burster alien. It stands to reason that the ship the Nostromo crew found was not the one involved in the Prometheus movie.

I read a review that said that was the case because the name of the planet in Alien (LV246?) didn't match the designation of the planet in Prometheus.

And, let's not forget that the surviving lady still has some of the alien DNA in her, even after "surgery". We could be looking at another Alien3 or (God forbid) Alien Resurrection scenario where the survivor has somehow morphed into or become important to the alien species.

See, Alien 3 would be my "God forbid". I still think it's one of the worst movies I've ever seen. On its own I would just dislike it but I expected so much after the first two movies. That "surgery" annoyed me. One hour later she's jumping around and climbing like a monkey on crack. What is she, superwoman?

(And as far as poisoning the scientist with alien DNA, the android did ask the guy how far he was willing to go to find out the truth, and the guy did say he'd do anything, so it kinda gives the android a pass, of sorts.)

I cringed when he gave that answer.

Either way, there's plenty of unfinished business to warrant a sequel, if the box office is good enough. When I saw it on Monday afternoon, there were only 5 other people in the whole theater besides me.

I was very surprised that on Sunday night the theater was very crowded.

IronCharles
06-11-2012, 11:57 PM
See, Alien 3 would be my "God forbid". I still think it's one of the worst movies I've ever seen. On its own I would just dislike it but I expected so much after the first two movies.

I liked the dark, gritty feel of Alien3. And Charles S. Dutton's portrayal of Dillon was fantastic (IMO). He's a seriously underrated actor, and I think that was one of his best performances.

That "surgery" annoyed me. One hour later she's jumping around and climbing like a monkey on crack. What is she, superwoman?
I was thinking similar thoughts. I did notice that they made sure the viewer saw her injecting herself with and swallowing handfulls of "invigorating" medicines. I guess we're supposed to believe that if technology is so advanced that you can program your own surgery, then the medicines should be pretty spectacular as well. :rolleyes:

JOHN GARGANI
06-12-2012, 02:56 AM
from the theory link:

That suggests that the event that turned them against us and led to the huge piles of dead Engineers lying about was one and the same event. We did something very, very bad, and somehow the consequences of that dreadful act accompanied the Engineers back to LV-223 and massacred them.

doesn't make sense...what makes more sense is that one of their own "experiments" went bad and that is what massacred them.....

What could possibly be the point in making this movie so GDam confusing??

and Charlie brought out a great point in that the original Space Jockey had signs of an alien bursting from his chest, but this guy left the ship before then, suggesting that this ship was NOT the same one in the first Alien movie....

Also I agree with the poster who liked Alien 3, as I also thought Dutton was fantastic...

IronCharles
06-12-2012, 03:21 AM
Also from the link:

Movies.com: We had heard it was scripted that the Engineers were targeting our planet for destruction because we had crucified one of their representatives, and that Jesus Christ might have been an alien. Was that ever considered?

Ridley Scott: We definitely did, and then we thought it was a little too on the nose. But if you look at it as an "our children are misbehaving down there" scenario, there are moments where it looks like we've gone out of control, running around with armor and skirts, which of course would be the Roman Empire. And they were given a long run. A thousand years before their disintegration actually started to happen. And you can say, "Let's send down one more of our emissaries to see if he can stop it." Guess what? They crucified him.

StressMonkey
06-12-2012, 06:28 AM
What could possibly be the point in making this movie so GDam confusing??

One of the co-writers used to write for "Lost". That says a lot. :)

StressMonkey
06-12-2012, 07:12 PM
-x1YuvUQFJ0

thepowerwithin
06-13-2012, 05:13 AM
I read a bunch of reviews before going and was aware there would be a lot of loose ends, leaving us with many unanswered questions. I agree there is plenty of room for a sequel.

I was expecting more and was quite underwhelmed through the whole movie. Glad I had a gift card.