PDA

View Full Version : Pics of school lunches around the world

redmelly
06-10-2012, 09:33 AM
I think France looks the best.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/what-school-lunches-look-like-in-20-countries-arou

Nikonguy
06-10-2012, 09:40 AM
Pics of USA school lunches are fake. No Tater Tots.

eomrat
06-10-2012, 09:42 AM
Korea looks good.

I have been to France six times and can truly state that I have rarely (and never in Paris) had a meal that was anything other than slightly above boring. My recommendation to anyone traveling there is to seek out Moroccan or Indian restaurants. I suggest 80% of tourists to France who claim they like the food only say that because they are afraid people will deem them unsophisticated.

BillReilly
06-10-2012, 09:46 AM
Korea looks good.

I have been to France six times and can truly state that I have rarely (and never in Paris) had a meal that was anything other than slightly above boring. My recommendation to anyone traveling there is to seek out Moroccan or Indian restaurants. I suggest 80% of tourists to France who claim they like the food only say that because they are afraid people will deem them unsophisticated.

I'd give you reps for this if I bothered to do the rep thing and I did not hate you with the intensity of a thousand suns.

eomrat
06-10-2012, 09:51 AM
and I did not hate you with the intensity of a thousand suns.

I could see how that would be a deterrent.

redmelly
06-10-2012, 10:08 AM
Only going by the pics. If given the choice I would choose Indian or Moroccan over French food, for sure.

Korea looks good.

Kraken
06-10-2012, 10:52 AM
Looks like the Asian countries nailed it. I am not surprised, because from all of my experiences and knowledge on the subject, most Asian countries do eat pretty healthy diets, in the homes, and pretty much everywhere else. They also have lower rates of cancer, diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease etc.

WHat's even more frustrating, is that what you see if what the American government feels are good choices for a balanced diet.

BillReilly
06-10-2012, 11:09 AM
Looks like the Asian countries nailed it. I am not surprised, because from all of my experiences and knowledge on the subject, most Asian countries do eat pretty healthy diets, in the homes, and pretty much everywhere else. They also have lower rates of cancer, diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease etc.

What's even more frustrating, is that what you see if what the American government feels are good choices for a balanced diet.

How do orientals raised in America on American diets compare to Orientals raised on Oriental diets in their home countries? Do they have higher rates of cancer, diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, etc?

Kraken
06-10-2012, 11:19 AM
How do orientals raised in America on American diets compare to Orientals raised on Oriental diets in their home countries? Do they have higher rates of cancer, diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, etc?

That number would be difficult to get. With so many Asians still eating a lot of Asian foods, even in America, and then the young population slowly moving away from it, we might not have a conclusive number until something like 2050 or even later. It is believed by most in the healthcare and diet professions that Asians will eventually end up with the same issues, at the same rate, as Americans with the diet changes. IMO, over even longer periods of time, genetics might start taking a shift for the worst for Asian Americans too.

I guess we will see.

pharmamarketer
06-10-2012, 12:08 PM
I never ate a school lunch. My Mom made lunch everyday. I ate all sorts of different things. She is a great cook. Thank God

BillReilly
06-10-2012, 12:09 PM
That number would be difficult to get. With so many Asians still eating a lot of Asian foods, even in America, and then the young population slowly moving away from it, we might not have a conclusive number until something like 2050 or even later. It is believed by most in the healthcare and diet professions that Asians will eventually end up with the same issues, at the same rate, as Americans with the diet changes. IMO, over even longer periods of time, genetics might start taking a shift for the worst for Asian Americans too.

You think diet changes genetics? If I start eating Big Macs every day, my DNA will be altered?

StressMonkey
06-10-2012, 12:10 PM
I would totally eat this one.

http://www.superbonusland.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/bento-kata.jpg

Kraken
06-10-2012, 12:25 PM
You think diet changes genetics? If I start eating Big Macs every day, my DNA will be altered?

Thats not what I said, and the debate ends here. You have a motive here, and I entertained it a little at the start knowing that, but I am done now. You're simply going to twist every answer I give to try to prove whatever it is you want to prove. Seeing what you already did to me first reply, I can only imagine how you would twist and misinterpret every other answer I give.

American schools serve crap, I think we can all agree with that.

mslman71
06-10-2012, 12:31 PM

I don't, at all.

I think the food is fine. Maybe not the best but it does what food is supposed to do. It's what happens when they're not at school (and possibly vending machines in school) that's the problem.

Iceman1800
06-10-2012, 12:33 PM
My wife is a school cook at an elemetary school. One of her biggest sellers are chef salads. Kids love fruits and veggies if its available to them.

Kraken
06-10-2012, 12:39 PM
My wife is a school cook at an elemetary school. One of her biggest sellers are chef salads. Kids love fruits and veggies if its available to them.

OMG, I used to love the salads at school, but then we walked down the line and loaded up the bacon bits, and sweet and sour dressing until it was spilling over...the kids can come up with ways to make something that seems good, in to something bad.

Remember, it's not the salad that makes a salad bad, it's what people put on them that make them horrible.

Thinking back to school, I remember most of how we would ruin a "decent" meal.

Ever watch the program Super Size Me? It's pretty accurate from what my memory of school was too.

BillReilly
06-10-2012, 12:49 PM
Thats not what I said, and the debate ends here. You have a motive here, and I entertained it a little at the start knowing that, but I am done now. You're simply going to twist every answer I give to try to prove whatever it is you want to prove. Seeing what you already did to me first reply, I can only imagine how you would twist and misinterpret every other answer I give.

I think you just want to pretend to be an expert so you can make asinine assertions. You're getting sand in your vag because you know the game is up. Maybe you can find a site where people will believe your crap. Good luck with that.

cgc
06-10-2012, 01:01 PM
Kraken -
This is the second time you've reported a post for rude/inappropriate/offensive.

Personally, I didn't think the post you were reporting was completely over the line....I will say though, it's ironic that you've seemed to agitate someone, once more.

Two things:
1. Abusing the rep system is a bannable offense. You may want to keep this in mind.
2. If you keep getting reactions from people that you seem to think are rude/inappropriate/offensive....you may want to see what you're doing to pull such a reaction from multiple people.

If you don't like the reactions you're getting, you may want to adjust the common factor.....you.

tmonkey
06-10-2012, 01:05 PM
I never ate a school lunch. My Mom made lunch everyday. I ate all sorts of different things. She is a great cook. Thank God

i hope you know how lucky you were

Kraken
06-10-2012, 01:05 PM
Kraken -
This is the second time you've reported a post for rude/inappropriate/offensive.

Personally, I didn't think the post you were reporting was completely over the line....I will say though, it's ironic that you've seemed to agitate someone, once more.

Two things:
1. Abusing the rep system is a bannable offense. You may want to keep this in mind.
2. If you keep getting reactions from people that you seem to think are rude/inappropriate/offensive....you may want to see what you're doing to pull such a reaction from multiple people.

If you don't like the reactions you're getting, you may want to adjust the common factor.....you.

So this isnt something that could have been handled via PM? You had to make an example of me? Doesn't seem very diplomatic and I would have expected a bit more of a respectful response from a mod.

1. What does the rep system have to do with my report?
2. My reply to him was respectful and I stopped before it escalated. He continued with offensive language and insults. Yet here we are, with ME getting **** on.

tmonkey
06-10-2012, 01:07 PM
So this isnt something that could have been handled via PM? You had to make an example of me? Doesn't seem very diplomatic and I would have expected a bit more of a respectful response from a mod.

and with this you prove the point he was trying to make

Brackneyc
06-10-2012, 01:07 PM
Kids are not getting fat or thin, or staying fat or thin due do to school lunches.

cgc
06-10-2012, 01:14 PM

You're setting a trend and I personally don't care to have a drawn out PM conversation about what you and I think is rude.

Now, concerning my diplomacy, and your expectation for a more respectful response?....eh, I'm not one for tap dancing around an issue, but I wasn't disrespectful to you.
Honestly, all things considering you seem to have very thin skin.

BillReilly
06-10-2012, 01:18 PM
I could see how that would be a deterrent.

I have a long and elaborate enemies list. It gets quite complicated at times.

Kraken
06-10-2012, 01:20 PM
You're setting a trend and I personally don't care to have a drawn out PM conversation about what you and I think is rude.

Now, concerning my diplomacy, and your expectation for a more respectful response?....eh, I'm not one for tap dancing around an issue, but I wasn't disrespectful to you.
Honestly, all things considering you seem to have very thin skin.

I was simply reading and following the rules.

1.) Show respect to all members- Racist, sexist, bigoted slurs, overly offensive or aggressive comments or derogatory comments are not allowed through, pictures, posts, or PM’s.

4.) Report abuse of the rules using the appropriate methods;

BillReilly
06-10-2012, 01:22 PM
Kids are not getting fat or thin, or staying fat or thin due do to school lunches.

I always wonder where the hard evidence is to support he claim that we are a bunch of porkers. Look at some images from previous eras. There was a time when a portly woman was considered hot. Ben Franklin was a stud, despite being fat. I'll buy that we are fatter, but I'm fully aware I have no facts to support it. Even if we are, it just shows we have gotten very good at producing cheap food. A hundred years ago, you would be laughed out of the room if you said one day the nation's biggest concern would be fat poor people.

Life expectancy seems to be holding steady. Until that changes, I don't see why anyone should care.

Brackneyc
06-10-2012, 01:26 PM
I always wonder where the hard evidence is to support he claim that we are a bunch of porkers. Look at some images from previous eras. There was a time when a portly woman was considered hot. Ben Franklin was a stud, despite being fat. I'll buy that we are fatter, but I'm fully aware I have no facts to support it. Even if we are, it just shows we have gotten very good at producing cheap food. A hundred years ago, you would be laughed out of the room if you said one day the nation's biggest concern would be fat poor people.

Life expectancy seems to be holding steady. Until that changes, I don't see why anyone should care.

We are undoubtedly a nation of fatties. This comes on the heels (not saying it is acceptable) of being the most prosperous nation in the world.

But, with that said, the fatness of today's youth is NOT the problem of, nor was it created by the school system. Parents have always had the option to send a lunch with their kid. If the lunch they receive for free (or paid for) is NOT to their liking, they need to step up and take care of it not by demanding better lunches, but providing a lunch of their own.

cgc
06-10-2012, 01:29 PM
I was simply reading and following the rules.

1.) Show respect to all members- Racist, sexist, bigoted slurs, overly offensive or aggressive comments or derogatory comments are not allowed through, pictures, posts, or PM’s.

4.) Report abuse of the rules using the appropriate methods;

Seriously?

1. The post you reported was not any of the items listed in that rule. Again, you have thin skin for someone who has been on this site as long as you have.

2. If you continue reading rule #4 and include it in what you're quoting:
4.) Report abuse of the rules using the appropriate methods; do not abuse this system- If you see a post or content that violates forum rules, please report it using the report abuse functions on the post itself or in Bodyspace or contact a moderator. ONLY report posts that violate rules, abuse of the report system and multiple reports of abuse from the same user for no reason can lead to a ban for the user issuing the report. This system is there to help users and moderators. If abused it helps nobody.

You're on the verge of this backfiring on you....

iabs
06-10-2012, 01:32 PM
kids in Europe get better food in school cafeterias than most Americans get at restaurants, lol...

Kraken
06-10-2012, 01:33 PM
Seriously?

1. The post you reported was not any of the items listed in that rule. Again, you have thin skin for someone who has been on this site as long as you have.

2. If you continue reading rule #4 and include it in what you're quoting:
4.) Report abuse of the rules using the appropriate methods; do not abuse this system- If you see a post or content that violates forum rules, please report it using the report abuse functions on the post itself or in Bodyspace or contact a moderator. ONLY report posts that violate rules, abuse of the report system and multiple reports of abuse from the same user for no reason can lead to a ban for the user issuing the report. This system is there to help users and moderators. If abused it helps nobody.

You're on the verge of this backfiring on you....

I reported him more than once?

BillReilly
06-10-2012, 01:36 PM
We are undoubtedly a nation of fatties. This comes on the heels (not saying it is acceptable) of being the most prosperous nation in the world.

But, with that said, the fatness of today's youth is NOT the problem of, nor was it created by the school system. Parents have always had the option to send a lunch with their kid. If the lunch they receive for free (or paid for) is NOT to their liking, they need to step up and take care of it not by demanding better lunches, but providing a lunch of their own.

I'm with you on the school lunch business. If kids are fatter, it is because they don't get enough exercise. As I kid, I was never allowed to sit around watching TV, even if I wanted to do it. Nowadays the opposite holds true. I live near a park and always see immigrant kids running around unsupervised. I never see American kids.

The crazy thing I don't get is the bus rides to school when the kids live less than a mile away.

itsagoodday
06-10-2012, 01:40 PM

But, with that said, the fatness of today's youth is NOT the problem of, nor was it created by the school system. Parents have always had the option to send a lunch with their kid.

I understand (and agree with) what you're saying here, but...

If the lunch they receive for free (or paid for) is NOT to their liking, they need to step up and take care of it not by demanding better lunches, but providing a lunch of their own.

The kids that get free meals at school don't always have that option. I volunteer at a food cupboard. When school is out for the summer and the kids don't get free meals at school, some of those kids go without those meals. We see a surge of families with school age kids in the summer months.

mslman71
06-10-2012, 01:42 PM
it just shows we have gotten very good at producing cheap food.

this, calories are inexpensive in that we have to expend very little energy to get them, and with packaged ready to eat food, expend very little time to consume them. We are opportunistic creatures. It kept us marching along as a species for a long time.

the fatness of today's youth is NOT the problem of, nor was it created by the school system. Parents have always had the option to send a lunch with their kid. .

And this

cgc
06-10-2012, 01:49 PM
I reported him more than once?

I now understand why you get some of the reactions you've received.

Conversation is over.

crupiea
06-10-2012, 03:08 PM
Doesnt say which korea so i think its safe to assume its North Korea.

The USA ones look like no care or effort was put into them.

I wonder what would happen if we gave a 3rd grader an artichoke.