PDA

View Full Version : Hockey Is The Most Neglected Major Sport On This Forum

Fresnobro
06-09-2012, 10:33 PM
i bet yall didn't even know there was a finals game being played today

ryankezler
06-09-2012, 10:46 PM
kinda to do with the teams that are in it, LA and NJ were some of the last teams I thought would have made it.

ChoChoSam
06-09-2012, 10:50 PM
inb4 the first team to come back from a 3-0 deficit in the SCF in like a million years.

Could easily have been the devils going up 2-0, but the hockey gods finally seem to be on the devil's side, ironic eh.

_NEMESIS_
06-09-2012, 10:53 PM
No one gives a fcuk about hockey until it is the Olympics...

GinoFelino
06-09-2012, 10:55 PM
I was just in the Dominican and at the sports bar on the resort they had the Kings Devils on in the big room with the projector while the Spurs OKC Game 6 was on the little TVs. Was pretty surprised but I prefer hockey over basketball by far.

GPx
06-09-2012, 10:57 PM
No one cares about hockey. ESPN rarely even covers it.

_NEMESIS_
06-09-2012, 10:59 PM

LOL this...

They only have one guy who talks about hockey and that is Melrose...Hell, even tennis and golf have more analysts....

EastCoastNiner

I don't blame them for not covering it, but it should keep growing with NBC having the big television contract with the NHL.

adrianisgnarly
Honestly, I'm more interested in Hockey this year because LA is in the finals. I always support local/hometown/west coast teams no matter what sport. But I've always wished hockey was more popular.

RyzinEnagy
06-09-2012, 11:05 PM
It's kind of why all of the hockey fans are like "OMG it's such an alpha sport because there is fighting and stuff". I like hockey myself, but hockey fans can get annoying.

miamiHEAT
06-09-2012, 11:07 PM
Soccer is better than hockey and soccer ****ing sucks

namean
06-09-2012, 11:07 PM
Best playoffs of ALL sports.
Its just to bad that ESPN doesnt advertise hockey.
Did know that there was a game 2nite but there was also a basketball game 2nite :)

brb_ballin
06-09-2012, 11:09 PM
Hockey is probably the best sport in the world and I'm a fan of almost all sports.

very underrated... feel bad for those that don't realize what they're missing.

namean
06-09-2012, 11:10 PM
I don't blame them for not covering it, but it should keep growing with NBC having the big television contract with the NHL.They do?
I thought that stupid channel versus had it lmao
I never even knew where to find that damn channel

GinoFelino
06-09-2012, 11:11 PM
They do?
I thought that stupid channel versus had it lmao
I never even knew where to find that damn channel

It doesn't exist anymore. It's the same channel number but now its just called NBC Sports.

EastCoastNiner
06-09-2012, 11:11 PM
It's kind of why all of the hockey fans are like "OMG it's such an alpha sport because there is fighting and stuff". I like hockey myself, but hockey fans can get annoying.

Very few hockey fans think the sport is alpha because of fighting.

It's "alpha" because of the immense skill it takes to play, the toll it takes on the body, and how insane the playoffs are.

I won't sit here and compare which athletes are better and more "athletic" between the four major sports, but I can assure you that hockey has the toughest players, and that's just not a hockey stereotype.

Brb, losing a bunch of teeth from a 90mph+ shot and coming back next period.
Brb, having a ruptured testicle and coming back to play.
Brb, pissing kidney stones out before a game 7 and still playing.

Alpha as fuk.

Patient Bear
06-09-2012, 11:13 PM
Personally I don't watch hockey very often, but after watching the Coyotes' playoff run, I'd say that it can be a pretty exciting sport. Very underrated for sure.

adrianisgnarly
06-09-2012, 11:13 PM
Last week, two games weren't shown on the MAIN NBC channel. They were shown on a different NBC channel (one I couldn't see). WTF is up with that?!

eMan0n
06-09-2012, 11:14 PM
New Jersey is a boring team to watch.

GinoFelino
06-09-2012, 11:14 PM
Last week, two games weren't shown on the MAIN NBC channel. They were shown on a different NBC channel (one I couldn't see). WTF is up with that?!

Ratings.

Monstarx
06-09-2012, 11:19 PM
so when hocky is in the champion ship game, what's it called? piston cup right?

travellingbrah
06-09-2012, 11:19 PM
Ratings.

Yeah the stanley cup finals this year have been getting atrocious ratings. Like less than 3 mil a game.

adrianisgnarly
06-09-2012, 11:21 PM
Yeah the stanley cup finals this year have been getting atrocious ratings. Like less than 3 mil a game.

I would think they would be at least average, considering Los Angeles (2nd most populated city in the U.S.), and New Jersey are in the finals. Barry Melrose and a few others have said the L.A. is a really good hockey city.

texanadian
06-09-2012, 11:29 PM
I don't post much on here because the Leafs suck haha.

Also Devils vs Kings is one of the least popular finals in years. (though its turning out to be a good one)

ESPN doesn't cover any hockey games because the NHL is currently in a 10 year EXCLUSIVE deal with NBC.

via yahoo sports:

As the NHL continues to build in popularity across every metric in the U.S. — attendance, sponsorship, ratings, social media outreach — the question has now changed. It's no longer "does the NHL need ESPN?" …
… it's "Why doesn't ESPN need the NHL?"

WestAfrica
06-09-2012, 11:47 PM
I've been in love with hockey since I was 8, but Euro 2012 is on so fuk everything else...

ArchangelDante
06-09-2012, 11:50 PM
i like hockey but i had very little interest in the cup cuz i figured the kings would sweep but it looks like a series now so i might tune into game 6 if it's not the same time as the heat game.

travellingbrah
06-10-2012, 12:01 AM
I would think they would be at least average, considering Los Angeles (2nd most populated city in the U.S.), and New Jersey are in the finals. Barry Melrose and a few others have said the L.A. is a really good hockey city.

They usually get a decent bit better ratings , they're down this year. Los Angeles is not a hockey city at all, not sure why Melrose said that, just trying to be positive I guess..

Stanley cup needs the blackhawks, penguins or bruins for really good ratings in the US, got none of those this year.

VTheKing
06-10-2012, 12:08 AM
They usually get a decent bit better ratings , they're down this year. Los Angeles is not a hockey city at all, not sure why Melrose said that, just trying to be positive I guess..

Stanley cup needs the blackhawks, penguins or bruins for really good ratings in the US, got none of those this year.

All of the three teams you mentioned were out by the end of the first round... the only "hope" for higher ratings was the Rangers, but they dropped the ball against the Devils.

travellingbrah
06-10-2012, 12:09 AM
All of the three teams you mentioned were out by the end of the first round... the only "hope" for higher ratings was the Rangers, but they dropped the ball against the Devils.

Yeah, I'm just saying those teams are the one's that bring in the biggest ratings.

Fresnobro
06-11-2012, 08:05 PM
congrats Kings

evansanity
06-11-2012, 08:08 PM
Yeah was a great series. So glad we won. Now I hope we can beat the thunder.

brb my teams going 4 for 4(RM, Giants, Kings, heat)