PDA

View Full Version : Accents?

Whatanejit
06-09-2012, 05:25 PM
Apart from your own what other 'accents' do you like listening to?

I'm enjoying the Boston accent at the moment - I feel like I'm in a movie set :)

Other than that I love the Scottish accent.

What about you folk?

Nikonguy
06-09-2012, 05:30 PM

I'm enjoying the Boston accent at the moment - I feel like I'm in a movie set :)

Other than that I love the Scottish accent.

What about you folk?

Hiya Dee.

I like most regional US accents and European ones as well. I find myself "acquiring" the local accent when I'm traveling :o

Karl_Hungus
06-09-2012, 05:49 PM
I only like accents on women. On guys accents are annoying.

Women with Eastern European accents .... Love those.

dbx
06-09-2012, 06:06 PM

_WLt_DN7rlY

:). When I go back there (or even on the phone with old friends) the accent comes back pretty fast. Howeva, despite growin up up thaya, i don't tawk like that anymooah.

I like many different accents...

flairon
06-09-2012, 06:07 PM
Southern accents, but only certain types. I can stand the northeast/bawston accent. Its kind of a hobby of mine listening to accents, I can just about pick out where in the south someone is from by their accent and phrases they use. For instance Arkansas people generally finish a sentence with 'preciate ya' and if you're talking to a girl from texas..she has the southern cheerleader thing going on and draws out her 'you'. Like 'Thank yeeeew'

Corbi
06-09-2012, 06:21 PM
Worst accent ever was Nicholas Cage trying to do a southern drawl in the movie Con-Air, abysmal attempt.

DubfromGA
06-09-2012, 06:23 PM
Agreed on the Southern accent. Love it. I also think Austrailian & Jamaican accents are cool.

latebloomingmom
06-09-2012, 06:24 PM
oooh I like anything south of about.....illinois:)

the one that really got to me was the one from Oklahoma...
tall, lanky, boots, hat..said ma'm and accent so thick I could have cut it like cornbread...

djflex
06-09-2012, 06:30 PM
Latin accent on teh ladies

Karl_Hungus
06-09-2012, 06:37 PM
:). When I go back there (or even on the phone with old friends) the accent comes back pretty fast. Howeva, despite growin up up thaya, i don't tawk like that anymooah.

I lol'd at "my friend is wicked smaht".... :D

so-tex
06-09-2012, 06:40 PM
I love Southern accents, especially from Georgia, Alabama and Louisiana. Even though I am from Texas, and have a heavy accent, there is a difference.

Bando
06-09-2012, 06:52 PM
I like Kentucky accents on the ladies

dbx
06-09-2012, 06:53 PM
I lol'd at "my friend is wicked smaht".... :D

That's actually one of the more accurate "sayings" in that dialogue. Wicked smaht, wicked pissed, pissa, etc... Yes, Boston vocab...and there is a ton more :).

so-tex
06-09-2012, 07:05 PM
Texas Accents: "how ur youuuu doin" . "let's mosey on over thar." "Thats buuul shiiut". And last but not least is "Howdy".

latebloomingmom
06-09-2012, 07:08 PM
Texas Accents: "how ur youuuu doin" . "let's mosey on over thar." "Thats buuul shiiut". And last but not least is "Howdy".Good Gawd..stop that immediatley...:)

crupiea
06-09-2012, 07:11 PM
Of course the southern accent and british accent. not at the same time though. i guess at the same time it would be an australian accent.

so-tex
Good Gawd..stop that immediatley...:)I forgot " Well Gawddamn". :D.

debandmikeb
I have a very distinctive Boston accent. When I was working, I would have occasion to talk to dealers across the country. I wunnnant have tree words outa my mout and they would say "Boston, right?". Of course the reply would be "Yeah, Bosson, howdja know?".

Mike

latebloomingmom
06-09-2012, 07:20 PM
I forgot " Well Gawddamn". :D.zip it mister!:)

dbx
06-09-2012, 07:22 PM
zipit yafck!

*fixed...for Boston accuracy*

pvsampson
06-09-2012, 07:23 PM
Agreed on the Southern accent. Love it. I also think Australian & Jamaican accents are cool.

What? I don't have an accent.All you foreigners do!!

latebloomingmom
06-09-2012, 07:23 PM
haaaahaaaa..dat Boston be a rough place:)

dbx
06-09-2012, 07:25 PM
What? I don't have an accent.All you foreigners do!!

The man has a point!

Oh, wait, he's from outside the U.S.. Never mind..........

:D

Frnkd
06-09-2012, 07:26 PM
A friend of mine in college was from Minnasooootaa, she was trying to explain the Norwegian accent that can be heard there, Minniapolis. Went to visit for winter break and could not get enough of the "cuteness' of the accent when we went into the dunkin donut shop.

The movie Fargo is a good example

Oy2HfixB9_8&feature=related

so-tex
06-09-2012, 07:26 PM
zip it mister!:)Umkay I'll stop. I ges whut yur sayin is that thar stuff I'm sayin annoys thu fuuuuuuuuukin shiet out of youuu. :)

latebloomingmom
06-09-2012, 07:29 PM
Umkay I'll stop. I ges whut yur sayin is that thar stuff I'm sayin annoys thu fuuuuuuuuukin shiet out of youuu. :)annoy?noooooooooo. that would not be the problem at all:)

there's a reason I dont visit Texas....I dont think I'd ever go home again;)

mslman71
06-09-2012, 07:30 PM
Worst accent ever was Nicholas Cage trying to do a southern drawl in the movie Con-Air, abysmal attempt.

Yep, awful, absolutely awful, as most of the Hollywood attempts are. They're like some bastardized Southern-Texan hybrid mess and horribly overdone. Not all Southern accents are the same and vary by locale.

Me, I like Scottish and Australian, and have always been enamored with the culture, or at least my perception of it. If I didn't have family here I'd be looking for work in Australia. The only down side I see is that the have some really nasty critters over there (snakes, spiders, etc).

dbx
06-09-2012, 07:33 PM
haaaahaaaa..dat Boston be a rough place:)

Nah, it's just a low key, normal place to grow up in.

6iz7k_tIdEY

And lol, with Allman Brothers playing in the background....doesn't get much better than that:

NM6AeW8ok6E

And yes, Boston is very much like this. Even the suburbs (close ones) are very much like this (as far as fighting). Old U.S. territory, I suppose :).

dbx
06-09-2012, 07:39 PM
And even though Jersey and NY are tied together, such ball busting was born in Boston...:p

6lUPPDqanuw

LOL, I have the entire series on DVD...love it.

hochspeyer
06-09-2012, 07:44 PM
I find languages in general fascinating. I love accents/diaects in general, but one thing that has always puzzled me about Eastern U.S. (and I think British English pronounciation in general) is the habit of placing an "r" sound at the end ow words that end with vowels- specifically, A and E.

DaddyJax
06-09-2012, 07:45 PM
Brazilian all the way! Not Spanish, but Brazilian. A proper British accent is very attractive as well.
Can not stand the Baaaahhston accent! Funny, but not attractive imo.

I can also attest that there is a very big difference in my state alone! Northern Floridian has a very southern draw to it while in here in Tampa and the central state is much more to a common(lack of) accent.

so-tex
06-09-2012, 07:49 PM
annoy?noooooooooo. that would not be the problem at all:)

there's a reason I dont visit Texas....I dont think I'd ever go home again;)I am truly blessed. I am 55 miles from bay/ deep sea fishing. Right in the middle of some of the best deer hunting , and my most favorite hobby , dove hunting. The picture in my avi is one of the best bird dogs in South Texas. His name is Rowdy, and is my best friend.

dbx
06-09-2012, 07:50 PM
I find languages in general fascinating. I love accents/diaects in general, but one thing that has always puzzled me about Eastern U.S. (and I think British English pronounciation in general) is the habit of placing an "r" sound at the end ow words that end with vowels- specifically, A and E.

Talking about Maryland, etc...? Example?

I also have to add, too, that our "subjective" look at our own dialects, seems to be a forgotten source of information when we think of...Japan, with 50 different dialects. Chinese, yes, mainly two (Cantonese and Mandarin), but with over 8-freaking hundred! LOL, yeah, I speak Spanish and Japanese. Not! Fragments............

latebloomingmom
06-09-2012, 07:51 PM
I am truly blessed. I am 55 miles from bay/ deep sea fishing. Right in the middle of some of the best deer hunting , and my most favorite hobby , dove hunting. The picture in my avi is one of the best bird dogs in South Texas. His name is Rowdy, and is my best friend.
If I moved to Texas I'd have a rifle in my truck, wear my cowboy boots daily, listen to country music, sing loudly, wear wranglers and learn how to draw out my cuss words..:)

so-tex
06-09-2012, 07:58 PM
If I moved to Texas I'd have a rifle in my truck, wear my cowboy boots daily, listen to country music, sing loudly, wear wranglers and learn how to draw out my cuss words..:)Hell, you would fit right in. :D.

hochspeyer
06-09-2012, 08:01 PM
Talking about Maryland, etc...? Example?

I also have to add, too, that our "subjective" look at our own dialects, seems to be a forgotten source of information when we think of...Japan, with 50 different dialects. Chinese, yes, mainly two (Cantonese and Mandarin), but with over 8-freaking hundred! LOL, yeah, I speak Spanish and Japanese. Not! Fragments............
Exactly. Americans know mostly regional American dialects, but I don't think we're unique. Many (Asian) Indians grow up speaking English as their native language, but it is often difficult for Americans to decipher. German has a few dialects as well; I learned "proper" (Hochdeutsch) in school, but when we lived in Germany, we lived in the Pfalz (in some circles, this is the equivalent of Appalachia in terms of culture, etc.). Snookums and I travelled as much as possible while we were there, and my Pfaelzer accent was pretty good... on a trip to Denmark I bought some gas near Kiel, and the attendant gave me that "You're obviously not from around here" look. :)

hochspeyer
06-09-2012, 08:02 PM
Hell, you would fit right in. :D.

Is Carharrt popular in Texas? ;)

DubfromGA
06-09-2012, 08:04 PM
I am truly blessed. I am 55 miles from bay/ deep sea fishing. Right in the middle of some of the best deer hunting , and my most favorite hobby , dove hunting. The picture in my avi is one of the best bird dogs in South Texas. His name is Rowdy, and is my best friend.

Sounds like paradise!

hochspeyer
06-09-2012, 08:06 PM
Sounds like paradise!
Hey, Dub, not to sidetrack this thread, but you're lookin' prettty swole in that avi! GJDM!

so-tex
06-09-2012, 08:12 PM
Is Carharrt popular in Texas? ;)The South Texas brush jacket is a must in South Texas. It is only sold from San Antonio to Brownsville. Carharrt only produces them every other year.

Funds
06-09-2012, 08:13 PM
Only like listening to accents on women. REAL southern drawl on older women. like when old women are sitting around at a cafe in the south talking I just awwww/10. German and surrounding countries accents on girls my age and younger. makes me want to get up in em.

latebloomingmom
06-09-2012, 08:14 PM
Is Carharrt popular in Texas? ;)Lawd I hope so;)

dbx
06-09-2012, 08:21 PM
Exactly. Americans know mostly regional American dialects, but I don't think we're unique. Many (Asian) Indians grow up speaking English as their native language, but it is often difficult for Americans to decipher. German has a few dialects as well; I learned "proper" (Hochdeutsch) in school, but when we lived in Germany, we lived in the Pfalz (in some circles, this is the equivalent of Appalachia in terms of culture, etc.). Snookums and I travelled as much as possible while we were there, and my Pfaelzer accent was pretty good... on a trip to Denmark I bought some gas near Kiel, and the attendant gave me that "You're obviously not from around here" look. :)

One of my favorite gigs was working for a German based, worldwide/global tooling company (specializing in diamond and carbide tooling, custom made for the biggest manufacturers in the world. My eventual immediate boss (went from CPA, CFO to CEO) was a guy from Denmark. It was his ability to speak flawlessly to the German HQ that won him most favor...and eventual promotion. No complaints here, as he is/was a great young man.

mslman71
06-09-2012, 08:24 PM
Somewhat random

I can drop the Southern accent pretty easily, especially if I'm not drinking and not around Southerners. But, what always gets me is slight differences in expressions or phrases -- I had NO idea that "might-could" was a regional thing until I worked in the Seattle area for a bit, which was my first real time spent out of the South. Of course, there are plenty more, such as "fixin'ta" (about to do), "y'anta" (you want to), etc. I go pretty much unnoticed until I let one of these slip.

DubfromGA
06-09-2012, 08:25 PM
Hey, Dub, not to sidetrack this thread, but you're lookin' prettty swole in that avi! GJDM!

Thanks, man.
Lifting resumed in May after a three month layoff to appease my surgeon.

Lawd I hope so;)

Dahlin', you are sounding more and more Southern by the moment.

The South Texas brush jacket is a must in South Texas. It is only sold from San Antonio to Brownsville. Carharrt only produces them every other year.

Is this the one?

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Carhartt-Duck-Brush-Jacket-Style-J255&i=445870&aID=501G17B&merchID=4006

so-tex
06-09-2012, 08:27 PM
Thanks, man.
Lifting resumed in May after a three month layoff to appease my surgeon.

Dahlin', you are sounding more and more Southern by the moment.

Is this the one?

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Carhartt-Duck-Brush-Jacket-Style-J255&i=445870&aID=501G17B&merchID=4006Yes Sir.

dbx
06-09-2012, 08:31 PM
Somewhat random

I can drop the Southern accent pretty easily, especially if I'm not drinking and not around Southerners. But, what always gets me is slight differences in expressions or phrases -- I had NO idea that "might-could" was a regional thing until I worked in the Seattle area for a bit, which was my first real time spent out of the South. Of course, there are plenty more, such as "fixin'ta" (about to do), "y'anta" (you want to), etc. I go pretty much unnoticed until I let one of these slip.

I would venture to guess that you, my friend, are somewhat like me; I can be a chameleon when the situation warrants it. Sometimes I do it intentionally, but to be honest, I usually do it unintentionally. I think I created this "fit-in" personality after it became clear to me (and my family) that making fun of the southerners and their accents eventually came with honest flaws...and that I was using the very words that I had been making fun of at the dinner table.

latebloomingmom
06-09-2012, 08:36 PM
Michigan is so boring...been trying to think of some of odd things ya might hear up here
when I lived on the east side of da mitten
I often heard such phrases as
'borrow me a pencil"
'pro'ly gonna do it later"
"yous guys going to the store"

hochspeyer
06-09-2012, 08:38 PM
One of my favorite gigs was working for a German based, worldwide/global tooling company (specializing in diamond and carbide tooling, custom made for the biggest manufacturers in the world. My eventual immediate boss (went from CPA, CFO to CEO) was a guy from Denmark. It was his ability to speak flawlessly to the German HQ that won him most favor...and eventual promotion. No complaints here, as he is/was a great young man.

Pretty impressive, as the Danes seem to have a (pardon the pun) disdain for Germans. Spoken by someone who speaks (spoke) German fairly well and had the opportunity to visit Denmark, as well as playing host to Danes in Germany.

dbx
06-09-2012, 08:49 PM
Pretty impressive, as the Danes seem to have a (pardon the pun) disdain for Germans. Spoken by someone who speaks (spoke) German fairly well and had the opportunity to visit Denmark, as well as playing host to Danes in Germany.

"Jens" was/is a really cool young man (reminds me of my oldest son). But yes, you're right about the "insider" aspect. Jens, was simply, the most "agreeable" and competent (and he was/is) of the group after the fallout. The fallout being...ALL of senior Mgmt... across the globe. We're talking firing the CEO, Sr. VP, VP, etc., in Russia, China, U.S., Brazil (and more) in one fell swoop. I was lucky enough to be "thanked"...and stayed on for 5 full mths afterward (knowing I was "out").

The Germans are some weird mo-fos, because they had an ancient battle of "new blood vs old blood" going on. They never gave the new global initiative a chance to...even be evaluated, lol. They just reversed course after a local (German) uprising within their own corporate BS fighting. But I digress......lofl...I loved that gig. Think of their corp being like the Sopranos meets NY..etc..

hochspeyer
06-09-2012, 08:54 PM
"Jens" was/is a really cool young man (reminds me of my oldest son). But yes, you're right about the "insider" aspect. Jens, was simply, the most "agreeable" and competent (and he was/is) of the group after the fallout. The fallout being...ALL of senior Mgmt... across the globe. We're talking firing the CEO, Sr. VP, VP, etc., in Russia, China, U.S., Brazil (and more) in one fell swoop. I was lucky enough to be "thanked"...and stayed on for 5 full mths afterward (knowing I was "out").
The Germans are some weird mo-fos, because they had an ancient battle of "new blood vs old blood" going on. They never gave the new global initiative a chance to...even be evaluated, lol. They just reversed course after a local (German) uprising within their own corporate BS fighting. But I digress......lofl...I loved that gig. Think of their corp being like the Sopranos meets NY..etc..

German= anal retentive (most frigging bloody serious)

StressMonkey
06-09-2012, 09:29 PM
Me, I like Scottish and Australian, and have always been enamored with the culture, or at least my perception of it. If I didn't have family here I'd be looking for work in Australia. The only down side I see is that the have some really nasty critters over there (snakes, spiders, etc).

Australian accents fascinate me. I have a horrible time understanding Scottish accents. So does Siri apparently. :D

My40XgYEvLM

dbx
06-09-2012, 09:32 PM
Australian accents fascinate me. I have a horrible time understanding Scottish accents

You, sir, have a terrible time understanding anyone :p

(this is for SP1966).

:cool:

Kraken
06-09-2012, 10:20 PM
By far my favorite accent has to be Scottish. For women, one of the more "sophisticated" English accents is very sexy. I wish I knew the sounds of the different areas though, because some are very beautiful, while others sound like they have crap in their mouth.

jasnija
06-09-2012, 10:22 PM
Many types. I worked with a hot Russian woman and her accent made me melt! I also like British and Aussie accents on women.....very sexy.

LisaSkinnoble
06-09-2012, 10:33 PM
My Dad speaks Maritimer English. It's heavily influenced by English Irish, British and Canadian French. Definitely my favourite.

In addition to the Maritimer accent, I love French and British accents.

And Indian accents. I think women from India always sound so crisp and emphatic and just "proper". Lovely!

Kraken
06-09-2012, 10:42 PM
My Dad speaks Maritimer English. It's heavily influenced by English Irish, British and Canadian French. Definitely my favourite.

In addition to the Maritimer accent, I love French and British accents.

That's an interesting mix. Its very col to learn about different cultures migrating in to different areas and picking up the accents and languages and mixing them.

I remember when my wife and I got married in Jamaica, we were talking to one of the natives there about their language. It's called Patois. It had an African base, and they mixed the languages of the different slave owners around them. Eventually they came up with Patois, which, at the time, the slave owners couldn't understand. It's also the basis of their fighting, Capoeira, if my memory serves well was the same basic idea. They made it look like dancing so that the masters didn't realize they were practicing fighting.

Anyway, I digress. I need to look up some sound files on Maritimer. Were they sailors, btw?

flairon
06-09-2012, 10:45 PM
Southern language in general is kind of funny when you listen to it.

Below the Mason dixon, you don't go 'over there' you go 'over yonder'...you don't go through valleys, you go through hollers....its not 'you all'..its y'all...or if they are REALLY country its 'y'uns'

you can always tell when you're talking to someone from the south and they are getting wound up because they start their sentences with 'ya know what..' or 'looka here...'

LisaSkinnoble
06-09-2012, 10:58 PM
That's an interesting mix. Its very col to learn about different cultures migrating in to different areas and picking up the accents and languages and mixing them.

I remember when my wife and I got married in Jamaica, we were talking to one of the natives there about their language. It's called Patois. It had an African base, and they mixed the languages of the different slave owners around them. Eventually they came up with Patois, which, at the time, the slave owners couldn't understand. It's also the basis of their fighting, Capoeira, if my memory serves well was the same basic idea. They made it look like dancing so that the masters didn't realize they were practicing fighting.

Anyway, I digress. I need to look up some sound files on Maritimer. Were they sailors, btw?

Lots of sailors and fishermen. You've seen a Fisherman Knit sweater? Well, the wives would design their own pattern of sweater so that when a man's body was pulled from the ocean, they knew by the pattern of the sweater whose husband he was. My mom has several patterns handed down over the generations. My dad's family has been in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia since the late 1600s. My grandfather and his predecessors served in the Royal Navy.

Had our Newfie friend here last night. Oh Lawd, he'd teach you to speak Newfanese.

GuyJin
06-10-2012, 12:03 AM
Living in Osaka I'm amazed at the difference in dialectical usage within a very small area. Travel twenty to thirty minutes in any direction and the sound can be incredibly different. Just amazing.

Many years ago, I visited a friend of mine who lived in Kagoshima, right by the ocean. Her boyfriend came from the northern part of Kyushu and we stayed at her place. One night while she was making dinner with her mother, her boyfriend and I watched the local network. The announcer spoke using Kagoshima's dialect which I understood maybe five percent of and my friend's boyfriend fared about the same. Fortunately, they had subtitles--in standard Japanese.

If you factor in the differences in dialects within the regions i.e. Northern Tohoku and Southern Tohoku, Eastern and Western Kanto, the Kansai area (Kyoto, Nara, Osaka and all of its sub-divisions, Kobe, Shiga, Mie, and more) then the list goes over one hundred and maybe even more than that. My father-in-law comes from Tochigi and my mother-in-law from the eastern part of Osaka. My FIL told me he's been living in Osaka for more than forty years and he still can't understand some expressions used.

My hope is just to master the standard Osaka style where I live and that will have to be enough.

pvsampson
06-10-2012, 12:26 AM
All these comments about Australian accents.

What bloody accent??

Actually,there are very subtle differences here even.In Western Australia,people say egg differently,with a long "e",and in Victoria they say castle like Americanese.Not like "caant".

EDIT:Whoa,that beer hit hard! Meant "caastle" :o

so-tex
06-10-2012, 12:27 AM
Spanish can be challenging as well. People from different parts of Mexico, Central and South America do not always speak the same dialect. I had some people from Costa Rica travel with me on an agricultural tour. Their Spanish was quite different than anyone I have ever spkoen with.

hochspeyer
06-10-2012, 01:11 AM
I've given some additional thought to this. The most challenging (and lovely) English accent I think I've heard in some time was that of a lass from Blomfontain, South Africa. My wife and I both tried to figure out where this lady was from and finally had to ask.

dnb
06-10-2012, 01:49 AM
Spanish can be challenging as well. People from different parts of Mexico, Central and South America do not always speak the same dialect. I had some people from Costa Rica travel with me on an agricultural tour. Their Spanish was quite different than anyone I have ever spkoen with.

Mexican "slang" spanish and the accompanying accent just suck. I much prefer the accent in Spain, with the 'lisp' sound though it is harder to understand.

My personal favorite is Brasilian Portuguese. I speak alittle spanish and a little portuguese, and I think that portuguese is just the coolest sounding language. Like a mix of spanish, italian, french, german, and afrikaan.

Take my favorite word in brasilian portuguese, devagar. It means 'slowly' and is pronounced dgee-va-gah.

Watch the look on her face at 1:31-1:36 and imagine her saying devagar to you... to die for.

http://youtu.be/gNvHuHdwAqY

Two more examples...

http://youtu.be/yMWfV4sGZFY

http://youtu.be/MFf_8oWbD8s

Whatanejit
06-10-2012, 02:27 AM
PVsampson.. you ozzies have one HELL of an accent!! Especially if you are out of the city and in the Bush somewhere :p

Regional accents are fascinating. I only get the really obvious US ones like Boston, NY, the South and then the standard one I guess that is equivilant to the *** English accent.

We had a real hoot at the beginning of May. I had two American e buddies come over to stay (no I had never met them before :D but we had 'known' each other online for a few years). Anyway, we did a bit of a tour from the SE of England and London up to the Midlands and ended up in Scotland. Of course we had to drive back down again.

It was such good fun. The two Americans had trouble understanding me and my colloquialisms, they had some strange phrases of their own for me to work out but by the time we got to Scotland they were basket cases. They hadn't a clue but it was great fun :)

Frnkd
06-10-2012, 02:32 AM
Mexican "slang" spanish and the accompanying accent just suck. I much prefer the accent in Spain, with the 'lisp' sound though it is harder to understand.

My personal favorite is Brasilian Portuguese. I speak alittle spanish and a little portuguese, and I think that portuguese is just the coolest sounding language. Like a mix of spanish, italian, french, german, and afrikaan.

Take my favorite word in brasilian portuguese, devagar. It means 'slowly' and is pronounced dgee-va-gah.

Watch the look on her face at 1:31-1:36 and imagine her saying devagar to you... to die for.

http://youtu.be/gNvHuHdwAqY

Two more examples...

http://youtu.be/yMWfV4sGZFY

http://youtu.be/MFf_8oWbD8s

Antonio Carlos Jobim classic Brazilian jazz composer song writer....love his music and anyone who sings it in its native Portuguese. Something about the language put into music, it just melts your troubles away for that moment.
o6ADChhquXM&feature=related

mtpockets
06-10-2012, 04:09 AM
I have heard many accents and most are fascinating, however, I take on new accents unwiillngly.

Even ordering chinese food I squint and talk lke Hop Sing.

Tyrbolift
06-10-2012, 04:21 AM
I had a roommate in the dorm at college one year who was from Hawaii and spoke heavy pidgeon, and some of his friends he found there, spoke it even more heavily.

If you really analyzed it, it does have some Bostonian element with some letters, others New York, others southern.

They use the word "one" a lot, as in "that was one big storm" or "she gonna be one lucky girl".

And also the first time that I heard a dialect use the word "brah." Heard them say it all the time (1975) and now it's been co-opted, or spread to mainlanders.

Frnkd
06-10-2012, 04:34 AM
I had a roommate in the dorm at college one year who was from Hawaii and spoke heavy pidgeon, and some of his friends he found there, spoke it even more heavily.

If you really analyzed it, it does have some Bostonian element with some letters, others New York, others southern.

They use the word "one" a lot, as in "that was one big storm" or "she gonna be one lucky girl".

And also the first time that I heard a dialect use the word "brah." Heard them say it all the time (1975) and now it's been co-opted, or spread to mainlanders.

Haha, "yeah" and "fo" also, as in "we going to that place fo do dat, yeah!"
Funny you should mention that it sounds a lot like a Boston accent, because the missionaries who taught English to the native Hawaiians came from Boston.

Of course you can't forget the phrase "da kine" which is like a pronoun for what ever is the reference to that is being talked about. It's the listener that has to guess what the reference is. I.e. "you like go da kine? I hungry 'as why" when referencing for instance a popular fast food that both of you like, so it will mean let's say, McDonalds.

My second language is pidgin. LOL I speak fluent kine not the fake stuff the young kids today try imitate. No soun' real. You have to have grown up on the plantation to understand.

Tyrbolift
06-10-2012, 04:45 AM
Haha, "yeah" and "fo" also, as in "we going to that place fo do dat, yeah!"
Funny you should mention that it sounds a lot like a Boston accent, because the missionaries who taught English to the native Hawaiians came from Boston.

Of course you can't forget the phrase "da kine" which is like a pronoun for what ever is the reference to that is being talked about. It's the listener that has to guess what the reference is. I.e. "you like go da kine? I hungry 'as why" when referencing for instance a popular fast food that both of you like, so it will mean let's say, McDonalds.

My second language is pidgin. LOL I speak fluent kine not the fake stuff the young kids today try imitate. No soun' real. You have to have grown up on the plantation to understand.Da kine is the superior example of whatever category it belongs to. Da kine bud, I can honestly say, follows that definition. :)

Whatanejit
06-10-2012, 05:24 AM
Pigeon? Now you've lost me. I'll have to youtube it :).

This is the first place out of the UK I've travelled to for YEARS.. that is English speaking but I'm having problems:)

All I wanted was to find a 'corner shop', as we call them to pick up some milk and snacks etc.

Me: Is there a local shop nearby?

Concierge: Yes there is a Gap two blocks away.

Me: Uhmm no not a clothes shop just a food shop.

Concierge: Yes we have plenty of restaurants around here.

Me: Well I just want to buy some milk :o

Concierge: Oh yes there is a 7-11 two blocks that way (points to the left).

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f270/Whatanejit/Smilies/meant.gif

Should I ask for a grocery store next time? :D

pvsampson
06-10-2012, 05:40 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pidgin

NorwichGrad
06-10-2012, 06:08 AM
I love listening to women with Southern, Aussie, British, Indian and Jamaican accents.

Nikonguy
06-10-2012, 06:13 AM

This is the first place out of the UK I've travelled to for YEARS.. that is English speaking but I'm having problems:)

All I wanted was to find a 'corner shop', as we call them to pick up some milk and snacks etc.

True story:

My father had to pick up a guest arriving from England. He met him inside the airport and they collected his luggage and went out to the car. My father said "let me put you bags in the trunk" and the visitor just stared at him for a moment.

When they told the story later the Englishman explained "I didn't know what on Earth to say since I was wearing me bags and carrying me trunk"! ;)

StressMonkey
06-10-2012, 08:25 AM
You, sir, have a terrible time understanding anyone :p

(this is for SP1966).

:cool:

Even when he's banned he haunts me.

All these comments about Australian accents.

What bloody accent??

Actually,there are very subtle differences here even.In Western Australia,people say egg differently,with a long "e",and in Victoria they say castle like Americanese.Not like "caant".

EDIT:Whoa,that beer hit hard! Meant "caastle" :o

Say "Aluminum" for us! :D

hochspeyer
06-10-2012, 08:34 AM
Even when he's banned he haunts me.

Say "Aluminum" for us! :D
I once met an Aussie on a bus in Wisconsin. I don't remember why he was on the bus, but it took my brain about 10 minutes to process "aluminium".

flairon
06-10-2012, 08:45 AM
Some of the UK/English accents are kind of annoying. The 'cockney' accent appears to be like the U.S.'s redneck accent. Kind of annoying to me.

mslman71
06-10-2012, 08:48 AM
Some of the UK/English accents are kind of annoying. The 'cockney' accent appears to be like the U.S.'s redneck accent. Kind of annoying to me.

Well, bless your heart.

StressMonkey
06-10-2012, 01:05 PM
I once met an Aussie on a bus in Wisconsin. I don't remember why he was on the bus, but it took my brain about 10 minutes to process "aluminium".

That's pretty much how I was when I heard it for the first time.

danno25nh
06-10-2012, 03:04 PM
I only like accents on women. On guys accents are annoying.

Women with Eastern European accents .... Love those.

hehe true. We have a nurse at work from Russia very strong accent. Her name is Natasha.

I convinced her to say Moose and Squirrel one day. It was a tad mean but my gawd did I laugh. I did have to explain it to her. Now she'll say it when she sees me looking a little stressed.

ClinicallyBored
06-10-2012, 03:22 PM
Well, bless your heart.

HA! Up here we just say it. "go fck ur self."

mslman71
06-10-2012, 03:25 PM
HA! Up here we just say it. "go fck ur self."

It was meant tongue in cheek.

:)

This time.

Nikonguy
06-10-2012, 05:21 PM
HA! Up here we just say it. "go fck ur self."LOL, translation nailed. :)

DaddyJax
06-10-2012, 06:57 PM
This is the one that did me in for Brazilian-Portuguese Accents along with a few ladies in my past;)
RDBpJOIuQ30
1C9mWN8vKHQ

dbx
06-10-2012, 07:53 PM
The real deal:

RbK4cL3QSc0

However, he does screw up an use an "R" in one word...........

pharmamarketer
06-11-2012, 05:19 AM
Women with an Australian accent is hot. When I was there, as a single guy, I think I fell in love 87 times. Even when I got turned down at a bar, it still sounded good

GuyJin
06-11-2012, 05:47 AM
My late father was a Canadian, Toronto born and bred and he always used to say "filem" as opposed to "film" which drove me crazy. I once asked him why and he said all Torontonians spoke that way from his generation. (He was born in 1914). I wonder.

Newfie English accents are just odd. Not bad, per se, just odd. Then again, so are most Newfies.:)

medjen
06-11-2012, 06:38 AM

Grocery store (bigger) or convenience store (7-11-sized)

BillReilly
06-11-2012, 07:23 AM
Nah, it's just a low key, normal place to grow up in.

6iz7k_tIdEY

And lol, with Allman Brothers playing in the background....doesn't get much better than that:

NM6AeW8ok6E

And yes, Boston is very much like this. Even the suburbs (close ones) are very much like this (as far as fighting). Old U.S. territory, I suppose :).

When people call me a dick, I have to correct them. I'm an arsehole! (http://youtu.be/JTVpxxzb2Dc)

Despite being from Boston, I have no accent. I had a to work on it a bit. A few words will trip me up like car wash, but that's it.

jamacdon
06-11-2012, 08:28 AM

Just ask for the stah mahket, that'll get you where you need to be ;)

wllhawkins
06-11-2012, 12:03 PM
Being from the Deep South, I have been told I have a classic old south accent, think of Shelby Foote, and that's about it. For referance, I run a museum and wear suit everyday, in summer, searsucker suit, either off brown or classic light blue, southern living mag if fought over in my house each month, and finish most days grilling with a mint julep. Love hearing it in southern girls as well, one of the things that drew me to my wife, hate when she tries to cover it up, sadly it is dying out. Accents that I love to hear are any of the islands in the gulf, as well as British. Accents that drive me nuts, Boston, Brooklyn, Minn., and Michigan. Meet lots of Civil War reenacotrs from all over the place, and the oh "yeah" on the end of everything!
Some typical saying from down here:
My stars and bars,
Yall is for 2-4 people, all yall is for 5 or more
Thar aint no end to football season, its all year
boyletmetellyawhat
whatsfersupper (dinner is lunch, supper is evening meal)
whatcha doin ov der
gotta arn my sirt fer church
bless her heart, shes just big boned (bless her heart prefaces anything that may hurt feelings, but implies that pitty is given to said person)
naw ya done it, mama gonna wip ya, and daddy gonna get the switch
tell your mama an dem we said hay
hows ya mama and dem doin
wanna coke? (NOT SODA OR POP, if you say pop you may get hit, or I will think you are talking about a grandfather)
gas station not service station
shoes not sneakers (sneakers are people not to be trusted)
how fer? ohhhh bout mile or so. (mile being not a specfic distance but a long strech of road)
did ya see the ballgame? (I know you saw the ballgame (college football) asking about the blown call)
Roll Tide is an approiate way to say hello (or War Eagle depending on who you pull for)
Yes you are asked to pick a side when you move here, and it is a life choice that can not be changed)
No one in a family is refered to by God given name, everyone has a nickname, if your mama says your God given name you are in trouble, if she say your full name with the last name, go ahead and write your tombstone
All families have at least one person with an extra long name for example Mary Elizabeth Jane Smith will go by Lizzy or Mary Beth, etc. etc etc.

Simpy
06-11-2012, 01:56 PM
For the most part I like all accents, but the heavy mountain accents of Kentucky and Tennessee are sometimes a bit grating. I don't know why since I grew up with them.

mslman71
06-11-2012, 02:05 PM
Being from the Deep South, I have been told I have a classic old south accent, think of Shelby Foote, and that's about it. For referance, I run a museum and wear suit everyday, in summer, searsucker suit, either off brown or classic light blue, southern living mag if fought over in my house each month, and finish most days grilling with a mint julep. Love hearing it in southern girls as well, one of the things that drew me to my wife, hate when she tries to cover it up, sadly it is dying out. Accents that I love to hear are any of the islands in the gulf, as well as British. Accents that drive me nuts, Boston, Brooklyn, Minn., and Michigan. Meet lots of Civil War reenacotrs from all over the place, and the oh "yeah" on the end of everything!
Some typical saying from down here:
My stars and bars,
Yall is for 2-4 people, all yall is for 5 or more
Thar aint no end to football season, its all year
boyletmetellyawhat
whatsfersupper (dinner is lunch, supper is evening meal)
whatcha doin ov der
gotta arn my sirt fer church
b....

lulz,

howsyer mommer 'n 'em? I haven't heard that one in a while.
go 'un gemme switch = go and pick the tool of your beating, and if it is too flimsy I'll go get one and beat you twice as hard with it. A great early lesson in risk and optimization/minimization. I got to be quite good at it.

SP1966
06-11-2012, 04:23 PM
Southern Female: +10
Southern Male: -10
Australian Female: +8
Australian Male: -9
British Female: +7
British Male: -10 (You can thank all the idiot Britts on American competition shows :))
Jersey Female: -infinity
Jersey Male: -infinity +1
Minnesotan: Yah, you betcha!

latebloomingmom
06-11-2012, 05:23 PM
Southern Female: +10
Southern Male: -10
Australian Female: +8
Australian Male: -9
British Female: +7
British Male: -10 (You can thank all the idiot Britts on American competition shows :))

Jersey Female: -infinity
Jersey Male: -infinity +1
Minnesotan: Yah, you betcha!so you like to listen to all kinds of chicks babble on and on and on but its only the guys from jersey that count then?

Whatanejit
06-11-2012, 05:54 PM
It seems the southern accent has the popular vote :).

There are 87 people on my course. Listening to all the different American accents and the global ones is awesome!

The world sure is an interesting place :)

ETA... slightly disappointed that nobody mentioned the Irish accent :p

StressMonkey
06-12-2012, 08:09 PM
Other ones that fascinate me are actors from overseas who are 100% believable as Americans. I was listening to a podcast today about the Walking Dead and I initially couldn't figure out who the British guy talking was. I was completely gobsmacked when I realized it was Rick, the main character.

Same thing when I hear Apollo from the new Battlestar Galactica speak in his real voice.

Whatanejit
06-12-2012, 09:36 PM
Other ones that fascinate me are actors from overseas who are 100% believable as Americans. I was listening to a podcast today about the Walking Dead and I initially couldn't figure out who the British guy talking was. I was completely gobsmacked when I realized it was Rick, the main character.

Same thing when I hear Apollo from the new Battlestar Galactica speak in his real voice.

That is true.. SM... some actors are incredibly skilled at that. On the other hand... some are bloming awful!

B_rVzBt20N0

I do love him in that film though :)

GuyJin
06-12-2012, 11:00 PM

---

Christian Bale is British yet does an amazing American accent. Russell Crowe was born in NZ and trained in Australia (I think) and his accent is pretty solid although whenever I watch Gladiator, the scene in the forest reminds me he isn't quite perfect. "Brothers, what we do todye (today) echoes in eternitie (eternity)."

Great actor, though, and deserved his Best Actor award for that movie.

SP1966
06-12-2012, 11:02 PM
---

Christian Bale is British yet does an amazing American accent. Russell Crowe was born in NZ and trained in Australia (I think) and his accent is pretty solid although whenever I watch Gladiator, the scene in the forest reminds me he isn't quite perfect. "Brothers, what we do todye (today) echoes in eternitie (eternity)."

Great actor, though, and deserved his Best Actor award for that movie.

Has he made a bad movie?

GuyJin
06-12-2012, 11:06 PM
Has he made a bad movie?

---

Not yet.

SP1966
06-12-2012, 11:09 PM
---

Not yet.

He was phenomenal in A Beautiful Mind!

sakoy
06-12-2012, 11:17 PM
Women with British accents

Tyrbolift
06-13-2012, 03:59 AM
Minnesotan: Yah, yoooh betcha!fixed

Whatanejit
06-14-2012, 07:23 PM
I dunno - each to their own ... He's not a bad actor but R Crowe can be a bit of a dick when interviewed :/

Ok, I'm loving the Texans at the moment. Gorgeous and friendly too :)

dnb
06-14-2012, 08:02 PM
This is the one that did me in for Brazilian-Portuguese Accents along with a few ladies in my past;)
RDBpJOIuQ30
1C9mWN8vKHQ

She's of Cape Verdean descent but grew up in Portugal. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sara_Tavares

Nice voice. Great smile!

Yo may enjoy these links:

http://musicabrasileira.org/

http://www.brasilesmusica.com.ar/2010/09/radio-bossa-nova.html
2nd link here is open to one of the better mixes.

Finally, on iTunes there is a podcast called Brazilian Beatz... he does a nice job, and my fav's are Bossa Nova, Warm Up Set, Jazz, and Brasil do Mar

paolo59
06-14-2012, 11:39 PM
Accents are fascinating. They reveal just who you are, when you're not aware and trying to be something that you're not! LOL I just figure, the way we talk, the twang, the construction of a sentence, the lack of good, clear English grammar, it just speaks of where we were brought up. That doesn't at all speak to just who our parents were, the quality, the depth, the love, and the self sacrifice. There are good, quality folk everywhere, in every hollow and nook. Just open your mouth and speak from your heart! :) People see through BS real quick. It's not how it sounds, if you've got any sense. It's what's said! :)

I personally love to hear a thick 'Southern' accent. Gracious. Music to your ears! It's an amazing thing...you can hear and smell biscuits and sausage gravy if you listen closely enough! Ha ha

Oh, and by the way, an English accent, not that "London thing," is wonderful to hear to be sure.