PDA

View Full Version : Where am I?

Whatanejit
06-09-2012, 04:01 PM
The time is all wrong..

The people have funny accents...

It looks pretty nice though and it is certainly much warmer than where I have come from :)

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh581/CooperStumpy/21.jpg

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh581/CooperStumpy/19.jpg

:D

-=FLEX=-
06-09-2012, 04:03 PM
Philly?

Oh hai Dee. :)

StressMonkey
06-09-2012, 04:03 PM
Bah-ston?

IronCharles
06-09-2012, 04:12 PM
Hello, Dee! Welcome to the States! :)

(And I agree, those NorthEasterners do have some funny accents!) :D

Whatanejit
06-09-2012, 04:12 PM
Hi Jim!

Wrong!

SM... indeedy :)

Whatanejit
06-09-2012, 04:13 PM
Thanks Charles :) It has been 10 years or so since my last visit.. bout time I came back :)

pvsampson
06-09-2012, 04:36 PM
Snow on the ground and it is warmer??!

Enjoy your visit. :)

Phattso
06-09-2012, 05:27 PM
Hey Dee, did you bring your horsey?

;)

Bo_Flecks
06-09-2012, 05:33 PM
It has been 10 years or so since my last visit.. bout time I came back :)

Are you coming to see me in St. Louis? We don't have accents, here. :D

dbx
06-09-2012, 05:49 PM
Bah-ston?

I'll give ya reps later, Monkey boy.

Dee, so glad that you came across the pond again. And to think, you're in my home town (meh, 10 mins north, to be exact). The Freedom Trail can be a real drain on tourists, and isn't the best way to see Boston. Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market are fun, and Old Ironsides is a must see (The USS Constitution...and oldest commissioned warship in the U.S.). Beside, it's one of the ships that beat those bastards from across the pond. Oh, wait... :eek: :D

Go see Rockport, Gloucester, Plymouth, Salem...whatever you can. U.S. history pretty much started in this state.

Have fun...drive only an hour or so northward and see New Hampshire. Veer a bit to one side and see Vermont & Maine, all in one day. Yes, they're all this close and accessible. I would highly recommend (depending on your time here) driving up the Kancamagus Highway in NH. It's gorgeous. The White Mountains of NH are great, as well.

Can't wait to see some great pics from you, as usual.

FlaIronMind
06-09-2012, 06:26 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-T_LQqxRy4jA/Tpw-1URQIII/AAAAAAAAAfg/qt5-y-QrAm4/s1600/you_are_here_01.gif

At least we manage to drive on the correct side of the road. ;)

immuno
06-09-2012, 06:47 PM
and Old Ironsides is a must see (The USS Constitution...and oldest commissioned warship in the U.S.). Beside, it's one of the ships that beat those bastards from across the pond. Oh, wait... :eek: :D

Dee, I highly recommend you see this ship and take a lot of pictures for me.. :)

dbx
06-09-2012, 07:01 PM
Dee, I highly recommend you see this ship and take a lot of pictures for me.. :)

I've been on and toured this ship at least four times in my life (this includes school outings!, lol). It is absolutely magnificent. When you consider the time it was built...the facts about it's fire-power, defense (nearly 2' thick walls/hull) and sea worthiness....it's an amazing piece of our history. It got its name from canon balls "bouncing off" the 2' thick sides. They sail it in and out of port a few times per year, just to keep it real...so to speak...and to keep barnacles from accumulating :D.

hochspeyer
06-09-2012, 07:03 PM
Bah-ston?

Dammit, Jim- that was my guess!

FlaIronMind
06-09-2012, 07:04 PM
Definitely check out the USS Constitution.

And while you're there, you might as well take the short trip over to Quincy to see the oft-forgotten red-headed step-child (at least when compared to the visits the USS Constitution gets), the USS Salem. It's sadly overlooked these days by most tourists.

dbx
06-09-2012, 07:12 PM
This is a pic from around 1980 or 81', when I took my first wife "back home" to Boston:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/dbx/Miscoldpics008.jpg

This is of three close childhood friends (of about 7) that came along to show respect, and enjoy my wife seeing Boston:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/dbx/Miscoldpics007.jpg

Sorry it's so f'd up, but this is of the same trip...when we hit Rockport:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/dbx/Miscoldpics010.jpg

FlaIronMind
06-09-2012, 07:16 PM
Rockport, MA or Rockport, ME? Either are great places too.

crupiea
06-09-2012, 07:19 PM
Everyone knows that the number one vacation spot in America is San Diego.

dbx
06-09-2012, 08:12 PM
Everyone knows that the number one vacation spot in America is San Diego.

Bro, nobody wants a standard, year round temp that makes us forget the seasons.

We'll leave that to people who think the weather defines their being :p :D :D

FlaIronMind
06-09-2012, 08:21 PM
...a standard, year round temp that makes us forget the seasons.

I have no idea what you're talking about...

drudixon
06-09-2012, 08:24 PM
Where ya been Dee? What'd you do @ the horses? Hopefully they're not part of your protein plan...

dbx
06-09-2012, 08:28 PM
I have no idea what you're talking about...

It's kind of an inside joke. Crupiea, loves to taunt everyone here (during national cold spells) by starting thread titles like..."Gosh, I'm so hot here, need to take my shirt off...", while intentionally fcking with people on the right coast when they are complaining about the cold.

Got it, grasshopper? :)

FlaIronMind
06-09-2012, 08:33 PM
It's kind of an inside joke. Crupiea, loves to taunt everyone here (during national cold spells) by starting thread titles like..."Gosh, I'm so hot here, need to take my shirt off...", while intentionally fcking with people on the right coast when they are complaining about the cold.

Got it, grasshopper? :)

As that tiny print under my AVI indicates, I live in Miami Beach.

We have one season of "hot" for 50 weeks. We then have a 2 week period of "slightly less hot."

And, on top of that, I am a California transplant.

So yeah, sensei, I get it.

Now what was that you were saying in the other thread about STFU?

;) :D

Edit to add -

And you never did answer my question about which Rockport, but that's ok. Both are great.

dbx
06-09-2012, 08:42 PM

As that tiny print under my AVI indicates, I live in Miami Beach.

LOL, I have no idea where I could have missed this "indication"....

.We have one season of "hot" for 50 weeks. We then have a 2 week period of "slightly less hot."

And, on top of that, I am a California transplant.

So yeah, sensei, I get it.

Now what was that you were saying in the other thread about STFU?

;) :D

I was saying ...exactly what you quoted;...but obviously, didn't realize that I was dealing with a CA kinda guy. I apologize.

Edit to add -

And you never did answer my question about which Rockport, but that's ok. Both are great.

Oh, sorry. I just figured that anyone from CA would be smart enough to figure out that a thread started about Boston, just might...be pertaining to Rockport, MA. I'm just spitballing here...but that's my wild goose guess, lad.

FlaIronMind
06-09-2012, 08:56 PM
LOL, I have no idea where I could have missed this "indication"....

Lulz, yeah, I know, it's such an obvious kind of thing, ain't it? Perhaps mistakenly, I had thought you and I had had a discussion on that once before though. Must have you confused with someone else though.

I was saying ...exactly what you quoted;...but obviously, didn't realize that I was dealing with a CA kinda guy. I apologize.

I missed this. But no need for apologies. I referenced your "STFU" comment only in jest.

Oh, sorry. I just figured that anyone from CA would be smart enough to figure out that a thread started about Boston, just might...be pertaining to Rockport, MA. I'm just spitballing here...but that's my wild goose guess, lad.

So you "figured" that before you realized that I was a "CA kinda guy?" Lulz, ok. :D

Nah, there's just quite a few same-named cities up there in NE. Yeah, one can always assume something and not say/ask a damn thing, but, then again, presumably, regardless of what a thread was started about, there are always avenues for discussion, shifts, turns, hijacks, etc. Just trying to keep discussion going and, based on your answer, have a further discussion about Rockport. But that's ok. No worries.

dbx
06-09-2012, 08:58 PM
But that's ok. No worries.

Agreed, bruh.

LisaSkinnoble
06-09-2012, 09:07 PM
Hi Dee! Soooo good to see you posting! You've been missed. :(

Hope it was a great trip! :)

dbx
06-09-2012, 09:12 PM
Hi Dee! Soooo good to see you posting! You've been missed. :(

Hope it was a great trip! :)

Negged! For trying to bring a thread on track! :confused: :rolleyes:

FlaIronMind
06-09-2012, 09:22 PM
Go see Rockport, Gloucester, Plymouth, Salem...whatever you can. U.S. history pretty much started in this state.

Have fun...drive only an hour or so northward and see New Hampshire. Veer a bit to one side and see Vermont & Maine, all in one day. Yes, they're all this close and accessible. I would highly recommend (depending on your time here) driving up the Kancamagus Highway in NH. It's gorgeous. The White Mountains of NH are great, as well.

Incidentally Dee, these are awesome suggestions. I don't know if you're still up there because with the snow on the ground doesn't seem like it was taken recently. ;) But my wife and I spend a great deal of time up in NE and have done all of those things dbx mentioned. The Kanca is also an awesome drive. We did it and ended up staying near Conway, NH and that was a great little town. Conway can be touristy, but is not too bad in the off-season. If you get up there, also be sure to do the drive up Mt. Washington and get the bumper sticker to boot. We did and, thankfully, had a crystal clear day that we did it on. Was gorgeous. But yes, if you're driving, definitely try and hug the coast on the way up north (if you're going north) and hit places like Newburyport, MA, Portsmouth, NH, Kittery, ME, and, if time allows, keep driving along the coast and up towards Portland, Bruswick, Bath, Rockland, ME and Camden, ME and on to the Acadia Park. It's all gorgeous and tons to do/see.

I love that part of our country and it's to which my wife and I return frequently. Enjoy it while you're there Dee!

Whatanejit
06-10-2012, 01:17 AM
Thanks for the Hellos, the tourist advice and the enthusiasm lads and lassies.http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f270/Whatanejit/Smilies/Thanks/smiliethanks.gif

I'm delighted to see that you are all bantering away as usual :)

1) the pics - I stole them for goolge images :) hence the snowy one. I liked the photo though. I only arrived yesterday afternoon so apart from the airport and the drive to my hotel I havn't really seen anything yet. I will of course respond to the request of sharing some photos if you really twist my arm ;) :D

2) thanks for the more personal advice re the tourist stuff Kevin. I remember you telling me before that you were from this neck of the woods. Insider information is often the best. I met a girl on the plane who gave me hints and tips too :)
The first vid you posted was intuitive as I am here to do some PG study at that lovely college.. I'm very excited :).

3) horseys are back home Phattso.. jeez I'm going to miss them :o. If I get the chance I may just see if there is a trail riding place I can go to out in the countryside somewhere to get my fix.

4) Times still messed up. I'm up at 0400hrs your time which is 0900hrs my time.. I'll soon adjust I'm sure.