PDA

View Full Version : Does eating organic food make you a jerk?

crupiea
06-08-2012, 10:31 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/does-eating-organic-food-jerk-150500363.html

A new study finds that going organic can make you feel smug about yourself and act nasty to others
Buying and eating organic food makes many people feel better about themselves. (Not coincidentally, organic products often have panderingly positive names, such as Honest Tea, Purity Life, and Smart Balance.) The flip side, according to a new study published in Social Psychological and Personality Science, is that organic eaters often look down on others, and aren't shy about expressing their derision. Does going organic turn you into a jerk? Here's what you should know:

How did researchers study the effects of organic food?
They divided 60 people into three groups: One was shown images of organics, such as spinach and apples; one was shown only comfort food, such as brownies; the third reviewed pictures of basics like rice and oatmeal. Then all three groups were asked to read vignettes about moral transgressions, such as cousins having sex or an ambulance-chasing lawyer hunting clients in an ER, and rank how bad the vignettes' protagonists were on a seven-point scale. The participants were also asked how much time they would be willing to volunteer for a fictitious study.

And what did they find?
The crowd exposed to organic foods judged others more harshly. On average, they put the offenses described in the vignettes at 5.5 on the seven-point scale. The people exposed to pictures of comfort food were the most mellow, with average ratings of 4.89. The organic group was also stingier with their volunteering time, offering to help out for 13 minutes, compared to 19 minutes for rice-and-oatmeal group, and 24 minutes for the comfort food crowd.

How do experts explain these results?
Author Kendall Eskine, a psychology professor at Loyola University in New Orleans, chalks it up to something he calls "moral licensing." People do something they see as a good deed, so they start feeling self-righteous. They also feel like "they have permission, or license, to act unethically later on," Eskine says. "It's like when you go to the gym and run a few miles and you feel good about yourself, so you eat a candy bar." How comforting, says Doug Berry at Jezebel. "Moral of the story: Eating cookies makes you a better person."

Sources: Jezebel, MSNBC, Seattle Post-Intelligencer, Social Psychological and Personality Science

Mindi912
06-08-2012, 10:34 AM
That's the most serious bull**** I've read in a long time lol.

mslman71
06-08-2012, 10:35 AM
I only eat inorganic food.

"Moral licensing" is characteristic of most every organization, especially religious and political ones.

flairon
06-08-2012, 10:39 AM
I doubt it has anything to do with the food...just the self appointed piousness of those eating it. Similar to people who drive electric/hybrid cars

Ed_Hitchens
06-08-2012, 10:47 AM
This extends to all aspects of life. Someone reads a book, discovers a lifestyle, or starts adhering to a particular philosophy and religion and feels empowered or improved in their own life. Then they feel the need to "share" and "spread" the good word about it to anyone who will listen (or patiently tolerate their gushing revelations). I've done it myself. :)

I think most of us here feel some level of smugness or superiority (or pity) over those who haven't yet discovered the benefits of our lifestyle; whether or not we express it is another thing.

cowboybiker
06-08-2012, 11:01 AM
http://img.listal.com/image/1864824/600full-the-jerk-screenshot.jpg

Keltron
06-08-2012, 11:04 AM
I just make sure my produce is locally grown and pesticide free. I USED to go to the Farmers Market bi-weekly until I moved where this place is literally 45 second walk from my front door:
tLYDglLWg7c

cowboybiker
06-08-2012, 11:09 AM

"Moral licensing" is characteristic of most every organization, especially religious and political ones.http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg495/Jean_Flow/lQcHJhKAakirbX2Sk_1BYQ2.gif

Marius_Ursus
06-08-2012, 11:26 AM
*******s are gonna be *******s regardless of their diet.

"Moral licensing" is characteristic of most every organization, especially religious and political ones.

No carbon for you!

BillReilly
06-08-2012, 12:03 PM
Food cults go back to the dawn of civilization. They usually are part of a religious cult, but not always. In modern times, claiming the mantle of science has replaced the imprimatur of the gods. Since most people know little about science, it is easy to popularize these things with specious claims to science. Of course, very few people these days know anything about food production so it is easy to fool them with claims about how their food is grown.

As to the proselytizing, that to is a feature of mass movements. It is about self-validation. If you can get someone to nod along as you recite the catechism, it is confirmation that you are on the side of angels, so to speak. it is when the adherents cease proselytizing that the movement is entering a dormant phase or dying out.

cowboybiker
06-08-2012, 12:18 PM
Food cults go back to the dawn of civilization. They usually are part of a religious cult, but not always. In modern times, claiming the mantle of science has replaced the imprimatur of the gods. Since most people know little about science, it is easy to popularize these things with specious claims to science. Of course, very few people these days know anything about food production so it is easy to fool them with claims about how their food is grown.

As to the proselytizing, that to is a feature of mass movements. It is about self-validation. If you can get someone to nod along as you recite the catechism, it is confirmation that you are on the side of angels, so to speak. it is when the adherents cease proselytizing that the movement is entering a dormant phase or dying out.http://images.starcraftmazter.net/4chan/for_forums/ffs.jpg

mtpockets

As to the proselytizing, that to is a feature of mass movements. It is about self-validation. If you can get someone to nod along as you recite the catechism, it is confirmation that you are on the side of angels, so to speak. it is when the adherents cease proselytizing that the movement is entering a dormant phase or dying out.

oh really!
I don't know how i lived 53 years without this knowledge.

mslman71
No carbon for you!

Only dilithium crystals for me.

BillReilly
06-08-2012, 12:39 PM
oh really!
I don't know how i lived 53 years without this knowledge.

Glad to be of help.

itsagoodday
06-08-2012, 12:40 PM
I doubt it has anything to do with the food...just the self appointed piousness of those eating it.

Exactly. I was a jerk long before I started eating organic food.

;)

BillReilly
06-08-2012, 12:49 PM
http://images.starcraftmazter.net/4chan/for_forums/ffs.jpg

http://www.wnd.com/files/2012/04/fonzie-jump-the-shark.jpg

Brackneyc
06-08-2012, 01:40 PM
I sometimes drive my Vette to the grocery store. If I buy organic food while in the Vette, that is like crossing the streams in Ghostbusters.

Big_Sky_Guy
06-08-2012, 02:05 PM
I like driving my 4-dr diesel to the organic grocery store. Sometimes you just need 450 ft/lb of torque to get those 2 fabric baggies of organic goodness home.

mslman71
06-08-2012, 02:07 PM
I like driving my 4-dr diesel to the organic grocery store. Sometimes you just need 450 ft/lb of torque to get those 2 fabric baggies of organic goodness home.

Be sure to bring in your own custom baby seal skin grocery bags; you don't want to pollute the environment with more plastic bags :D

My wife insists on buying some organic dogfood for our rat dogs. It makes her happy so I don't complain, even if it is 3x as expensive as the others. I went to pick it up for her at the local organic market when I had my H2. The skinny jeans wearing hipsters were mum.

Big_Sky_Guy
06-08-2012, 02:37 PM
Be sure to bring in your own custom baby seal skin grocery bags; you don't want to pollute the environment with more plastic bags :D

My wife insists on buying some organic dogfood for our rat dogs. It makes her happy so I don't complain, even if it is 3x as expensive as the others. I went to pick it up for her at the local organic market when I had my H2. The skinny jeans wearing hipsters were mum.

Saving the planet...one seal at a time. Sorry, that was not PC.

BTW- I have found the same thing from the hipsters. Mum.

Just cause I actually workout does not mean I can't eat healthy too!

cowboybiker
06-08-2012, 02:38 PM
LOL.
Ours has parking for Hybrid cars only in front.

http://i.imgbox.com/aaof9Qu3.gif

litljay
06-08-2012, 02:57 PM
I'm again scratching my head why we needed to study this?

eomrat
06-08-2012, 02:57 PM

I like driving my Prius to NASCAR races.

itsagoodday
06-08-2012, 03:37 PM
Ours has parking for Hybrid cars only in front.

I'd be tempted to park there just to see what happened. Either they'd call some gas-guzzling tow truck to move me (fail), or they'd just stand there and shake their dreads disapprovingly in my general direction (also fail).

Big_Sky_Guy
06-08-2012, 03:48 PM
I like driving my Prius to NASCAR races.

Are you a wizard?

GuyJin
06-08-2012, 04:08 PM
Maybe this is the OP's idea of somehow, inexplicably, tying this thread into something to do with North Korea?

Anyone see the connection?

No, I didn't, either.

GuyJin leaves this thread now...

crupiea
06-08-2012, 05:23 PM
Maybe this is the OP's idea of somehow, inexplicably, tying this thread into something to do with North Korea?

Anyone see the connection?

No, I didn't, either.

GuyJin leaves this thread now...

When you think about it they eat nothing but organic food. no prepacked stuff for them, only the best!!

I guess people want to be more like the north. good for them.

Cherrysftw
06-08-2012, 05:26 PM
I remember this tenant in my house, always used to ****ing buy organic ****.
Organic fruits/veg.. even organic eggs -_-

He was kind of a jerk seperating our food from his cause it's freakin organic.

Corbi
06-08-2012, 05:55 PM
Around the large majority of people I see doing the organic deal are hippies. I have lived damn near 50 yrs now eating the crap I eat and don't mind it, not going to pay 3x as much to eat crap that I probably wouldn't even like. I don't need to go down that road in order to feel good about myself.

so-tex
06-08-2012, 05:56 PM
No organic vegetables at this household. I use herbicides and pesticides on my farm and garden. I do not however inject our beef with growth hormones.

Oceanside
06-08-2012, 06:26 PM
I have lived damn near 50 yrs now eating the crap I eat and don't mind it,

not advocating organic food, but that's kind of funny considering you've had open heart surgery

Corbi
06-08-2012, 06:51 PM
not advocating organic food, but that's kind of funny considering you've had open heart surgery

Genetic defect with the mitral valve, all my arteries and everything else are ultra clean, I have been poked and probed and prodded from end to the other.

shiv68
06-08-2012, 07:01 PM
I do try to eat as much organic food as possible, I love grass feed beef.. Not a big fan of factory farmingl I usually have a little garden growing. I never put anything on it. There are times it would get over run with pests but then some other bug like lady bugs would come in and kill them all.

GuyJin
06-08-2012, 07:47 PM
When you think about it they eat nothing but organic food. no prepacked stuff for them, only the best!!

I guess people want to be more like the north. good for them.

---

Yeah, the twigs, grass-fed rats and rotting vegetables must really pack on the beef...:rolleyes:

Brackneyc
06-08-2012, 08:21 PM
I have been poked and probed and prodded from end to the other.

Does that cost extra, or was this done by aliens. :D

dbx
06-08-2012, 08:26 PM
No, eating "organic" food just drains your wallet, while much of it isn't actually organic. Having said that, it shouldn't make you feel like a jerk, but it might make you realize that you've not done your homework on the subject...and love "today's latest fads. ....

P. T. Barnum would have loved organic food!

latebloomingmom
06-08-2012, 08:30 PM
ya ever go to the grocery store and take a good look at the organic produce and then look at the other "bad for you" kind that was sprayed....?:)

BillReilly
06-09-2012, 05:41 AM
No, eating "organic" food just drains your wallet, while much of it isn't actually organic. Having said that, it shouldn't make you feel like a jerk, but it might make you realize that you've not done your homework on the subject...and love "today's latest fads. ....

P. T. Barnum would have loved organic food!

Agreed. Fear of technology is nothing new and that's what cults play on to attract members. Fear is a great motivator. When the thing to fear is invisible and unmeasurable, it is even better. I still hear women bring up the hormones in beef myth, despite it being debunked years ago. What's even funnier to me is how some people here will swallow so many supplements they rattle, yet they only eat organic.

beachguy498
06-09-2012, 06:06 AM
I always try to make the best choice available when I shop for food. If I get a good deal on organic vegetables, I buy them. Anything else has to fit what I like to pay, period. I can see the organic food advocates being compared to beer or wine snobs. Samual Adams my a$$, got a great deal on a 12-pack of PBR.. I'm set.

Rob

BillReilly
06-09-2012, 06:51 AM
I always try to make the best choice available when I shop for food. If I get a good deal on organic vegetables, I buy them. Anything else has to fit what I like to pay, period. I can see the organic food advocates being compared to beer or wine snobs. Samual Adams my a$$, got a great deal on a 12-pack of PBR.. I'm set.

Rob

Wine is total bravo sierra. (http://scienceblogs.com/cortex/2007/11/02/the-subjectivity-of-wine/) You can do the same experiment at home and get the same result. Take a cheap bottle and put a big price sticker on it. Your resident expert will swear it is the nectar of the gods. It works every time. Beer is not really the same as they do have very different tastes, but it is still subjective. If you like PBR, you like PBR.

beachguy498
06-09-2012, 09:15 AM
Wine is total bravo sierra. (http://scienceblogs.com/cortex/2007/11/02/the-subjectivity-of-wine/) You can do the same experiment at home and get the same result. Take a cheap bottle and put a big price sticker on it. Your resident expert will swear it is the nectar of the gods. It works every time. Beer is not really the same as they do have very different tastes, but it is still subjective. If you like PBR, you like PBR.

What is the difference between a wino and a connoisseur? The connoisseur drinks his out of a glass. I have family and friends that are supposed wine experts, pretty funny to see them when they've had a little too much grape. Beer is subjective. I've probably tried them all and still revert back to my roots, all of which are considered a premium beer. The fancier beers do little for me. If I'm at a party, I'll drink it, but if I can get 2X of Budweiser for the price of the upscale beer, that's what I do.

Rob