PDA

View Full Version : Bulking/Fat problem

DaveMinall
06-08-2012, 05:38 AM
Hi folks, this is my first post here.

I've been weight training for about 8 months now, I've made some great gains and my figure is much better than it was before.

The reason I'm here is that I seem to have hit a wall whereby I'm trying to put on mass but it's very hard to do so, and when I do, it's purely belly fat, and every time I eat a big meal I feel very bloated. I'm really struggling.

Any ideas guys?

psychodiver9
06-08-2012, 05:54 AM
Really not enough infor to offer advice. Intake? Maintenance? Workout program? Raw of gain?

DaveMinall
06-08-2012, 05:59 AM
Really not enough infor to offer advice. Intake? Maintenance? Workout program? Raw of gain?

Good point..

I weigh 79kg. I was on a strict diet of 3600 calories, which contained approx 200g of protein, 56g of fat and approx 100g of carbs.

I do weight training 4 days a week, consisting of chest/bi's. Tri's/lats, shoulders/traps and then a general mix on the 4th day. I do 5 rounds of boxing twice a week. I'm taking 1x protein shake a day which does factor into the 3600 calories.

layarph
06-08-2012, 06:20 AM
Have you actually calculated your macros, or is 3600 just a random figure you came to?

If you haven't, do it now:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

Fat is only determined by how much over your TDEE you go.

You need to really be eating at a surplus to gain muscle right now; the level of fat you bring with it is determined by how quickly / how much over your daily TDEE you go.

DaveMinall
06-08-2012, 06:27 AM
Have you actually calculated your macros, or is 3600 just a random figure you came to?

If you haven't, do it now:

Fat is only determined by how much over your TDEE you go.

You need to really be eating at a surplus to gain muscle right now; the level of fat you bring with it is determined by how quickly / how much over your daily TDEE you go.

I did a formula on this website not long ago (I can't remember now but that informed me I needed to be on 3600 calories a day to gain weight - the TDEE calculator I have just used (shown below) states I have a TDEE of 2766?

www dot fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator dot html

layarph
06-08-2012, 06:32 AM
I prefer to shy away from calculators and prefer to do the math myself, so I can use my own interpretation of factors such as Activity Level; only you know that, not a calculator, so you can put that activity factor into your own calculation (from the sticky).

Having said that, your TDEE looks fairly accurate.

As I said, fat is only determined by how much over your TDEE you go; the sticky recommends 10-20% above TDEE to see minimal fat gains.

If your priority is gaining muscle, you have to eat at a surplus.

WonderPug
06-08-2012, 06:55 AM
I was on a strict diet of 3600 calories, which contained approx 200g of protein, 56g of fat and approx 100g of carbs.You claim to be consuming 3,600 calories per day, but the macronutrients you list total just 1,304 calories.

I do weight training 4 days a week, consisting of chest/bi's. Tri's/lats, shoulders/traps and then a general mix on the 4th day.It sounds like your workout routine is terrible. I recommend you use a proven program such as Starting Strength.

DaveMinall
06-08-2012, 06:56 AM
I prefer to shy away from calculators and prefer to do the math myself, so I can use my own interpretation of factors such as Activity Level; only you know that, not a calculator, so you can put that activity factor into your own calculation (from the sticky).

Having said that, your TDEE looks fairly accurate.

As I said, fat is only determined by how much over your TDEE you go; the sticky recommends 10-20% above TDEE to see minimal fat gains.

If your priority is gaining muscle, you have to eat at a surplus.

The link you forwarded to me a couple of posts ago is incredible! I've just done some calculations on there and that makes much more sense than what other figures I came to.

I assume that I was overloading my body with calories, and as I wasn't doing enough exercise I assume I was storing those calories as fat? 3600 calories a day seems an awful lot for someone of my build.

Dkrleo
06-08-2012, 06:59 AM
Cycle calories and carbs!
Intermittent fast and recomp down to preferred body fat.
Www.leangains.com
Www.bodyrecomposition.com
Http://1percentedge.Com/ifcalc

layarph
06-08-2012, 07:01 AM
The link you forwarded to me a couple of posts ago is incredible! I've just done some calculations on there and that makes much more sense than what other figures I came to.

I assume that I was overloading my body with calories, and as I wasn't doing enough exercise I assume I was storing those calories as fat? 3600 calories a day seems an awful lot for someone of my build.

I'm 171lbs at 5ft11, and my TDEE (including lifting 4 times a week, nothing more) is ~2900; try 3400 to bulk, and keep an eye on the mirror. Too much fat, knock off 100cals each day ... afford to add more cals, knock on 100 cals each day. These calcs are estimates, you need to use your own common sense as well.

DaveMinall
06-08-2012, 07:10 AM
I'm 171lbs at 5ft11, and my TDEE (including lifting 4 times a week, nothing more) is ~2900; try 3400 to bulk, and keep an eye on the mirror. Too much fat, knock off 100cals each day ... afford to add more cals, knock on 100 cals each day. These calcs are estimates, you need to use your own common sense as well.

Thanks mate.

Been really difficult as of late - I seem to be getting bigger round the waist but not really gaining weight overall! I'm lifting more every other week so I'm clearly getting stronger. hopefully if I can plan a decent diet around these new figures I've got it should be plain sailing!