PDA

View Full Version : Raptors trying to acquire Rudy Gay with the 8th pick

Masstastic
06-08-2012, 12:54 AM
Toronto is close to becoming a competitive team in the NBA Eastern Conference and the front office is willing to trade their top pick in the 2012 draft to acquire a veteran small forward, a move that could make this a playoff team in the 2012-13 season.

ESPN's Chad Ford reported that the team is shopping the pick at this week's pre-draft camp in Chicago and that Rudy Gay is their top option, but the Raptors are also open to Andre Iguodala from Philadelphia.

Gay is the top option as he plays hard on both ends of the court and has more offensive skills, something this team needs to become a contender. Toronto struggled too much with scoring last season, but injuries also played a part in their failures this past season.

So if Toronto goes ahead and acquires Nash & Rudy Gay, where does it put them in the East?

unleashed132
06-08-2012, 12:56 AM
9th

F.A.M.E.
06-08-2012, 01:12 AM
SMH if the Grizzlies do this. They should get a lil more for Rudy.

Masstastic
06-08-2012, 02:03 AM
9th
Toronto wasn't that bad of a team this season mostly without Bargnani, but if you add Nash/Rudy to the mix next season then they definetly are a Playoff team.

SMH if the Grizzlies do this. They should get a lil more for Rudy.

If Toronto takes on the entire contract, you really can't turn that deal down.

He's owed about $55 Million over the next 3 years.

tyqb4
06-08-2012, 02:51 AM
why not go for a guy like iguodala who can just guard the other teams best player and brawl for 40 minutes? is scoring really going to be a problem with that team? i don't think you want the ball to ever be stuck in one place for 10 seconds when you have nash on your team...there's a pretty good chance that nash is going to create a better shot for somebody than 10 seconds of rudy gay backing down, facing up, dribbling in a circle, saying the abcs then doing some awkward fade away that some how goes in 45% of the time or deciding to run at the basket. he's like the poverty version of carmelo anthony.

SompletelyCober
06-08-2012, 02:51 AM
Everything's coming up sunshine right now.

Heat and Raptors are gonna run this conference if we can make some moves.

If the Raptors get Nash, Gay, Valanciunas this year and a healthy Bargs....oh lawd.

The raptors could make the playoffs!

why not go for a guy like iguodala who can just guard the other teams best player and brawl for 40 minutes? is scoring really going to be a problem with that team? i don't think you want the ball to ever be stuck in one place for 10 seconds when you have nash on your team...there's a pretty good chance that nash is going to create a better shot for somebody than 10 seconds of rudy gay backing down, facing up, dribbling in a circle, saying the abcs then doing some awkward fade away that some how goes in 45% of the time or deciding to run at the basket. he's like the poverty version of carmelo anthony.

You shut your whore mouth when talking about Rudy. Easily the most underrated clutch player in the league.

Imagine the clutch shots that Rudy and Nash would make if they were on the same team.

A team made up of those players + Val, Bargs etc has potential.

OnfiyA
06-08-2012, 03:58 AM
Toronto wasn't that bad of a team this season mostly without Bargnani, but if you add Nash/Rudy to the mix next season then they definetly are a Playoff team.

If Toronto takes on the entire contract, you really can't turn that deal down.

He's owed about $55 Million over the next 3 years.

Wow, I know you're quite knowledgeable but you knowing about Raptors kind of surprised me this time.

We were a 7-8th seed before Andrea got injured right before the All-star break and he was playing at an All-star level. I wouldn't be surprised if he played the same this year, granted if he's healthy, and snag Chris Bosh's spot in the '13 all-star game. As much as I want Captain Canada to come to the Raptors I think he doesn't have the time to wait for us to be a competitor for the ship, we're definitely going to make it to the playoffs if everything goes well meaning injury-free.

I've only seen a bit of footage of Val from the documentaries and a bit of his highlights on youtube, hopefully he plays up to his potential and show us a little bit of promise. Also, I'm calling this one, Dwane Casey - Coach of the Year '13.

woodsmash
06-08-2012, 03:58 AM
Toronto better sign and trade their pick to Phoenix for Nash ;)

homicidal_misc
06-08-2012, 04:08 AM
Trade for Deng you damn mother canuckers.

foreverSNAFU
06-08-2012, 04:22 AM
great, so to add insult to injury Toronto fans will now be wearing jerseys with the word Gay on the back of them.

woodsmash
06-08-2012, 04:29 AM
great, so to add insult to injury Toronto fans will now be wearing jerseys with the word Gay on the back of them.

I lol'd.

OnfiyA
06-08-2012, 04:31 AM

I'm pretty sure he knew coming into the league his jersey wasn't going to be a number one seller for that particular reason.

Report: Raptors looking to package 8th pick with Ed Davis and veteran for wing

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/19289796/report-raptors-looking-to-package-8th-pick-with-ed-davis-and-veteran-for-wing

They want either Iguodala or Gay, either one is fine by me. I'm more curious about Jose Calderon on what's going to happen to him.

Felixano
06-08-2012, 04:32 AM
Nash
DeRozan
Gay
Bargnani
Valanciunas

Looks like a pretty balanced lineup to me, and DeMar, Gay, Bargs are all capable of dropping 20 on any given night. Only problem for me is that Nash might actually be a worse defender than Calderon which could be a problem in Casey's system.

That being said, the Raptors have to pull this trade if it's on the table. Haven't had a wing close to Gay's caliber since 2004, and I do think that lineup could get us as high as a 4th or 5th seed depending on what happens with the other teams in the east next year. It'd still be important for Toronto to try and draft a PG who they can groom behind Nash to take over once he decides to hang em up.

foreverSNAFU
06-08-2012, 04:34 AM
I'm pretty sure he knew coming into the league his jersey wasn't going to be a number one seller for that particular reason.

Well he better change his name to World Conqueror, World Dominator, etc. since World Peace is already taken.

AlphaBaller
06-08-2012, 06:16 AM
Why would steve nash waste his career with the raptors?

woodsmash
06-08-2012, 06:32 AM
Nash
DeRozan
Gay
Bargnani
Valanciunas

Looks like a pretty balanced lineup to me, and DeMar, Gay, Bargs are all capable of dropping 20 on any given night. Only problem for me is that Nash might actually be a worse defender than Calderon which could be a problem in Casey's system.

That being said, the Raptors have to pull this trade if it's on the table. Haven't had a wing close to Gay's caliber since 2004, and I do think that lineup could get us as high as a 4th or 5th seed depending on what happens with the other teams in the east next year. It'd still be important for Toronto to try and draft a PG who they can groom behind Nash to take over once he decides to hang em up.

With the right system, Bargnani could really benefit with Nash much like how Frye fit into the Suns system as far as camping out on the perimeter and getting shots after shots.

Why would steve nash waste his career with the raptors?

I'm a Nash fan, always wanted the best for him and always believed he'll get better and better as the season goes on but it's sad to say but his getting older and going to be declining very soon and he even knows it...

He's Canadian born, loves the country so I don't see why he wouldn't want to go back to Raptors. Also he could help them.

I hope he doesn't leave though but if the Raptors offer the right price (picks/young talent) for Nash then I'm happy to see him farewell back to his hometown.

grizz101
06-08-2012, 06:35 AM
The Grizzlies are trading Rudy Gay because he refuses to fit into their system. He refuses to recognize the Grizzlies are an inside-out team, and he wants to take over instead. He would be able to do that in Toronto. Although I think we should have given him another year. However, Ed Davis+veteran+lottery pick is very hard to pass up.

Backus21
06-08-2012, 06:44 AM
The Grizzlies are trading Rudy Gay because he refuses to fit into their system. He refuses to recognize the Grizzlies are an inside-out team, and he wants to take over instead. He would be able to do that in Toronto. Although I think we should have given him another year. However, Ed Davis+veteran+lottery pick is very hard to pass up.

Completely agree. You cant have a player that doesnt want to fit with the system even though it was proven in last years playoffs. Who do you think they pick with the 8th pick if this deal gets done? I assume they will go for a SF to fill the void? Maybe Terrence Jones. That is a little high for him but I just love his versatility. Who do you think Grizz? Mass?

grizz101
06-08-2012, 06:58 AM
Completely agree. You cant have a player that doesnt want to fit with the system even though it was proven in last years playoffs. Who do you think they pick with the 8th pick if this deal gets done? I assume they will go for a SF to fill the void? Maybe Terrence Jones. That is a little high for him but I just love his versatility. Who do you think Grizz?
it depends on OJ Mayo

if we plan on letting him go: Jeremy Lamb, or if by some miracle Bradley Beal falls to the 8th pick
if we plan on keeping him: I have to agree with you, Terrence Jones would probably be the best fit.

either way if we get the 8th pick, we need to draft a backup PG with the 25th. If we pick Jones I could see us drafting Fournier though.

One thing is for sure, if we make this trade we'll be one of the deepest teams in the league

Felixano
06-08-2012, 07:01 AM
With the right system, Bargnani could really benefit with Nash much like how Frye fit into the Suns system as far as camping out on the perimeter and getting shots after shots.

THIS. Except Bargs is way more talented than Frye. I really think Nash had a lot to do with Dirk's maturation process as well in Dallas, and he could do similar things for Bargs. (By no means is Bargnani Dirk, but he could be getting 20+ on 50% shooting).

I'm a Nash fan, always wanted the best for him and always believed he'll get better and better as the season goes on but it's sad to say but his getting older and going to be declining very soon and he even knows it...

He's Canadian born, loves the country so I don't see why he wouldn't want to go back to Raptors. Also he could help them.

I hope he doesn't leave though but if the Raptors offer the right price (picks/young talent) for Nash then I'm happy to see him farewell back to his hometown.

Home-country* Nash is from Vancouver not Toronto, but I agree. I could see him coming to Toronto to play, especially now that he's the GM of Canada basketball.

Reply in bold.

grizz101
06-08-2012, 07:03 AM
Also, Bobcats and Grizzlies are talking Maggette/2nd pick for Rudy talk

Backus21
06-08-2012, 07:20 AM
Also, Bobcats and Grizzlies are talking Maggette/2nd pick for Rudy talk

Oh lawd. Getting Kidd-Gilchrist's defense would be amazing for the Grizzlies. But Jordan has to decide on Gay's talents, or getting a UNC guy lol

Workout4ever
06-08-2012, 07:24 AM
Sorry to rain on the parade but..... Nash is coming to south beach next season.

grizz101
06-08-2012, 07:40 AM
Oh lawd. Getting Kidd-Gilchrist's defense would be amazing for the Grizzlies. But Jordan has to decide on Gay's talents, or getting a UNC guy lol
its very doubtful the trade will happen though. but they are talking.

OnfiyA
06-08-2012, 07:45 AM

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=6v2bndw

I hope this deal goes through,

Rudy Gay for Jose Calderon and Ed Davis.

grizz101
06-08-2012, 07:59 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=6v2bndw

I hope this deal goes through,

Rudy Gay for Jose Calderon and Ed Davis.
that would never happen. Grizzlies aren't trading Gay to them unless they get the lottery pick also.

AreolaBorealis
06-08-2012, 08:01 AM
that would never happen. Grizzlies aren't trading Gay to them unless they get the lottery pick also.Gay for Calderon, Davis and the 8th pick get it done?

grizz101
06-08-2012, 08:06 AM
Gay for Calderon, Davis and the 8th pick get it done?
yes.

Felixano
06-08-2012, 08:19 AM
Gay for Calderon, Davis and the 8th pick get it done?

Yup, and the Raptors would still have almost 20M to spend in free agency.

Imo though, I'd rather send Amir their way (because of his contract). Not sure MEM bites on that though.

sups31
06-08-2012, 08:26 AM
lol the craptors. forever last place.

AirCanada
06-08-2012, 08:47 AM
Yup, and the Raptors would still have almost 20M to spend in free agency.

Imo though, I'd rather send Amir their way (because of his contract). Not sure MEM bites on that though.

There is absolutely no way Memphis takes Amir over Ed.
I'm still pissed off that we're giving Kleiza money. That phaggot is so turrible.

We won't need 20 M to spend anyway unless by some miracle D-Will signs with us (will never happen). I like holding on to the cap space though, it allows us to stay flexible if stuff doesn't pan out.

batman15
06-08-2012, 09:02 AM
Sonny weems needs to get healthy and try to comeback.

GreatSaiyaman
06-08-2012, 09:04 AM
So is Nash interested in the Raptors or is the just an idea because he's Canadian? I haven't heard anything about what he's gonna do?

OnfiyA
06-08-2012, 09:26 AM
lol the craptors. forever last place.

I don't know how these ban bets work but I'll bet you Raptors won't be "last" place next year if you're willing to.

nitro_gif
06-08-2012, 09:32 AM
Sonny weems needs to get healthy and try to comeback.

I'd take him for the bench tbh.

His athleticism is unreal.

SethID
06-08-2012, 09:54 AM
I'd rather try to package Davis + 8th +? to get the Sac pick at 5 and test my luck with the pick

NoS_oUtLaSt
06-08-2012, 09:58 AM
Relevant

WK7lIjFsGvg

AirCanada
06-08-2012, 10:06 AM
I'd rather try to package Davis + 8th +? to get the Sac pick at 5 and test my luck with the pick

That's way too much to give up to move up 3 spots if Iggy and Gay are on the table for the same package, unless you think Harrison Barnes will be better than those guys, and even then it isn't a guarantee that we'll get him.

Moody72
06-08-2012, 10:13 AM
I agree with needing to get the lottery pick in return for Gay but I simply just want to see him go

grizz101
06-08-2012, 10:14 AM
I agree with needing to get the lottery pick in return for Gay but I simply just want to see him go
Davis/Calderon/8th for Gay/throw in (ive heard jeremy pargo) is too good for either team to pass up

Moody72
06-08-2012, 10:15 AM
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2012/jun/08/grizzlies-owner-michael-heisley-says-there-are-no/?CID=happeningnow

What the Hell is this Heisley???

grizz101
06-08-2012, 10:17 AM
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2012/jun/08/grizzlies-owner-michael-heisley-says-there-are-no/?CID=happeningnow

I don't mind as long as Mayo is gone.

Moody72
06-08-2012, 10:23 AM
I don't mind as long as Mayo is gone.

There's no way they could resign Mayo if they keep Rudy. Farewell Speights and Arthur

AirCanada
06-08-2012, 10:25 AM

Guess it's Iggy for us then...

GetBigyo
06-08-2012, 10:29 AM
Toronto is close to becoming a competitive team in the NBA Eastern Conference

So by a lottery team adding Rudy Gay, they are now close to being a "competitive" team?

notsureifsrs

batman15
06-08-2012, 10:45 AM
I'd take him for the bench tbh.

His athleticism is unreal.

Yeah. He's a bro too. Cool as shiit. He could easily win the nba dunk competition every year. He's already won 3 of them. (uafs, arkansas, and the team that cut him when he got hurt.)

canuckathlete
06-08-2012, 11:06 AM
So by a lottery team adding Rudy Gay, they are now close to being a "competitive" team?

notsureifsrs

Competitive is a bit of an overstatement but,

-Bargnani was playing at an allstar level before he got hurt
-Valanciunas hopefully gives them their first true C in years
-Gay fills a huge hole (strong no homo)

Masstastic
06-08-2012, 12:06 PM
Wow, I know you're quite knowledgeable but you knowing about Raptors kind of surprised me this time.

We were a 7-8th seed before Andrea got injured right before the All-star break and he was playing at an All-star level. I wouldn't be surprised if he played the same this year, granted if he's healthy, and snag Chris Bosh's spot in the '13 all-star game. As much as I want Captain Canada to come to the Raptors I think he doesn't have the time to wait for us to be a competitor for the ship, we're definitely going to make it to the playoffs if everything goes well meaning injury-free.

I've only seen a bit of footage of Val from the documentaries and a bit of his highlights on youtube, hopefully he plays up to his potential and show us a little bit of promise. Also, I'm calling this one, Dwane Casey - Coach of the Year '13.

Agree with most of this stuff, espescially Casey winning Coach of the Year if Toronto makes an effort to put some established players with their young core.

its50
06-08-2012, 12:12 PM
in b4 raps take on gay's contract and he doesn't play more than 20 games/season

Masstastic
06-08-2012, 12:19 PM
Completely agree. You cant have a player that doesnt want to fit with the system even though it was proven in last years playoffs. Who do you think they pick with the 8th pick if this deal gets done? I assume they will go for a SF to fill the void? Maybe Terrence Jones. That is a little high for him but I just love his versatility. Who do you think Grizz? Mass?

it depends on OJ Mayo

if we plan on letting him go: Jeremy Lamb, or if by some miracle Bradley Beal falls to the 8th pick
if we plan on keeping him: I have to agree with you, Terrence Jones would probably be the best fit.

either way if we get the 8th pick, we need to draft a backup PG with the 25th. If we pick Jones I could see us drafting Fournier though.

One thing is for sure, if we make this trade we'll be one of the deepest teams in the league

Honestly, I'd avoid Terrence Jones at #8. Hes talented but he's got a questionable attitude and he likely wont be able to play SF full-time at 6'9 250+lbs with good, but not great athletic ability. He could be a mismatch at PF if he keeps improving, but Memphis seems to have enough depth at the 4 assuming they bring back Speights, Cunningham, & Darrell Arthur is healthy. Might need a veteran backup C just for depth purposes.

I'd go Jeremy Lamb too at #8. Then at #25 I'd go Quincy Miller.

With the money they'd clear off by moving Rudy Gay, they'll get a Trade Exception which could be used to grab a cheaper Small Forward. Someone like Shawn Marion for example.

grizz101
06-11-2012, 12:17 PM
BUMP

the Grizzlies were just sold. let the Rudy Rumors start again