PDA

View Full Version : Kid has Hand Foot Mouth Disease

Redstyx
06-07-2012, 07:59 PM
Hey folks, Anyone had a kid diagnosed with Hand Foot Mouth Disease? She's 16 months old, doctor is giving some meds to prevent infection of sores..... but I was wondering if anyone has been thru this and how bad it will be get for the kid and parents while this plays out.

mslman71
06-07-2012, 08:04 PM
Hey folks, Anyone had a kid diagnosed with Hand Foot Mouth Disease? She's 16 months old, doctor is giving some meds to prevent infection of sores..... but I was wondering if anyone has been thru this and how bad it will be get for the kid and parents while this plays out.

We've been through it, both boys, was no big deal. It resolved in a week or two if I remember correctly. I don't think we gave them anything.

Redstyx
06-07-2012, 10:08 PM
We've been through it, both boys, was no big deal. It resolved in a week or two if I remember correctly. I don't think we gave them anything.

No big deal, and just a week or two? Excellent, thats what I was hoping to hear. Thanks

Bo_Flecks
06-08-2012, 06:08 AM
My twins are six now, but both had it when they were 18 months old, so my memory is a little sketchy on it. They had the sores in their mouths and on their feet. My son was pretty cranky with it, but my daughter didn't seem to be bothered by it much at all.

I don't think we gave them anything.

^^^This. Doc said it had to run its course which was around ten days or so from start of the sores to them being completely gone. The fussiness from it did not last nearly that long, though.

Since it is hard to remember many of the details about it, it must not have been that big of a deal. Just one of many childhood afflictions my kids have been through... No worries, OP.

danap3681
06-08-2012, 08:11 AM
My son had it as well. Wasn't too bad as it hit him while we were at the Supercross in Atlanta about 5 years ago. He slept most of the night and we headed to another track in north Georgia the next day and he raced all his races with a mild fever but no complications and I don't remember him having any pain affiliated with it either.

taf1968
06-08-2012, 04:57 PM
Went through it with my son when he was around 2 . . . he was miserable for a few days (literally screaming in pain from the sore throat--it was really killing him) and we were totally drained from it. Doctor eventually prescribed some Tylenol with codeine so he could sleep. But he was much better after a few days. It will run its course.