PDA

View Full Version : Daily sun exposure leaves left side of manís face looking 20 years older.

Lou1se
06-07-2012, 01:43 AM
Interesting and really hits home about the damaging effects of too much sun, click on link to read article -

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/1206297--daily-sun-exposure-leaves-man-s-left-side-looking-20-years-older

http://i.thestar.com/images/d6/06/93dd3fdd4881ac93273784cd8ab1.jpg

drudixon
06-07-2012, 07:15 AM
yuck....

crupiea
06-07-2012, 07:37 AM
9 hours per day for 28 years is a very large amount.

Good thing he didnt wear sunscreen, he might really have been in trouble.

http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/home/sunscreen-giving-you-cancer.htm

Ed_Hitchens
06-07-2012, 08:17 AM
Sunlight is healthy in moderate doses. All this sunscreen paranoia is why many people are ending up with vitamin D deficiencies.

Bando
06-07-2012, 08:21 AM
I have the sun on my left when I drive to work, and on the left when I drive home. My dermatologist asked if that was the case when she diagnosed me with Roseacea and she noticed only the left side of my face was affected. :eek:

BillReilly
06-07-2012, 08:22 AM
Peddling fear is the third oldest profession.

mslman71
06-07-2012, 08:23 AM
Sunlight is healthy in moderate doses. All this sunscreen paranoia is why many people are ending up with vitamin D deficiencies.

They shouldn't be. It takes an absolutely minimal dose of UV to generate needed vitamin D, assuming no dietary component.

beachguy498
06-07-2012, 10:41 AM
I bet he smoked as well. That will accelerate the process. Still a pretty dramatic change and who would consider wearing a sunscreen to drive around? These days we might, 20 years ago, maybe the insanely paranoid.

Rob

latebloomingmom
06-07-2012, 11:36 AM
Peddling fear is the third oldest profession.what were the first and second ones again?

latebloomingmom
06-07-2012, 11:37 AM
Interesting and really hits home about the damaging effects of too much sun, click on link to read article -

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/1206297--daily-sun-exposure-leaves-man-s-left-side-looking-20-years-older

http://i.thestar.com/images/d6/06/93dd3fdd4881ac93273784cd8ab1.jpgis it wrong that I thought this looked like an old woman?:)

JUSA
06-07-2012, 12:24 PM
is it wrong that I thought this looked like an old woman?:) Is it wrong to say that? No.

It would be wrong to say that this looks like an old woman and it's giving you a big boner. That would be very wrong, in fact.

edit: ah, just say you're a female. Guess it's double wrong in your case, then.

BillReilly
06-07-2012, 12:28 PM
what were the first and second ones again?

Prostitute and politician.

latebloomingmom
06-07-2012, 12:34 PM
Prostitute and politician.well now ...that peddling fear makes a whole lot more sense:)

latebloomingmom
06-07-2012, 12:35 PM
Is it wrong to say that? No.

It would be wrong to say that this looks like an old woman and it's giving you a big boner. That would be very wrong, in fact.

edit: ah, just say you're a female. Guess it's double wrong in your case, then.wow...what part of my user name threw ya off on that one?

mtdman
06-07-2012, 09:16 PM
Who cares? The dude is 69, does it matter if he looks 20 years older? By that point, imo, old is old and it's not much of a difference. I work outside every day, in the sun, for 8 to 10 hours at a pop. I wouldn't do anything else.

thor93
06-07-2012, 09:40 PM

BS. For anglo saxons like myself,only somewhat okay in VERY moderate doses.

http://i.thestar.com/images/d6/06/93dd3fdd4881ac93273784cd8ab1.jpg

Amen.

yuck....

To say the least.

They shouldn't be. It takes an absolutely minimal dose of UV to generate needed vitamin D, assuming no dietary component.

Excactly.

I bet he smoked as well. That will accelerate the process. Still a pretty dramatic change and who would consider wearing a sunscreen to drive around? These days we might, 20 years ago, maybe the insanely paranoid.

Rob

Not necessary to be or ever to have been a smoker to look like that at 69. The sunny sunshine can do it up without the assistance of coffin nails.

Who cares? The dude is 69, does it matter if he looks 20 years older? By that point, imo, old is old and it's not much of a difference. I work outside every day, in the sun, for 8 to 10 hours at a pop. I wouldn't do anything else.

BS. I'm 42 and most people(customers at my grocery store job) think i'm half or near half my age. 21-28 is the usual guesstimate range amongst random peeps. Early 20's is more commonly guessed than mid to late 20's still. At that rate,i'd wager strong likelihood i'll only age another 15 years or so from a visual standpoint after another 27 years on this earth. I'll likely look around 40-45 at 69. Avoiding the sun as much as possible and not making friends with it are and have been my main strategy/technique. Its payback to those who've mocked me over the years for choosing to be pale over tanned. And definately plenty more payback years to come i do strongly believe. HaHa !

crupiea
06-07-2012, 10:08 PM
I'm 42 and most people(customers at my grocery store job) think i'm half or near half my age. 21-28 is the usual guesstimate range amongst random peeps. Early 20's is more commonly guessed than mid to late 20's still. At that rate,i'd wager strong likelihood i'll only age another 15 years or so from a visual standpoint after another 27 years on this earth. I'll likely look around 40-45 at 69. Avoiding the sun as much as possible and not making friends with it are and have been my main strategy/technique. Its payback to those who've mocked me over the years for choosing to be pale over tanned. And definately plenty more payback years to come i do strongly believe. HaHa !

Is this real life?

koolaid71
06-08-2012, 11:09 AM
BS. I'm 42 and most people(customers at my grocery store job) think i'm half or near half my age. 21-28 is the usual guesstimate range amongst random peeps. Early 20's is more commonly guessed than mid to late 20's still. At that rate,i'd wager strong likelihood i'll only age another 15 years or so from a visual standpoint after another 27 years on this earth. I'll likely look around 40-45 at 69. Avoiding the sun as much as possible and not making friends with it are and have been my main strategy/technique. Its payback to those who've mocked me over the years for choosing to be pale over tanned. And definately plenty more payback years to come i do strongly believe. HaHa !

That's funny, I am going to be 41 this summer, and was just ID'd at the liquor store last week. Oldest people have guessed for me is 26. Most think I'm in my early 20's.
But unlike you, I have spent loads of time in the sun, was a roofer for a few years, and have had more sunburns than I can remember. Also sometimes I have used a tanning bed. =O
Sure there are some things you can do, but some people just look older, and some younger.

JUSA
06-08-2012, 11:37 AM
wow...what part of my user name threw ya off on that one? Meant to type, "just SAW". Reaction time is dulling in my old age, apparently.

JUSA
06-08-2012, 11:44 AM
Who cares? The dude is 69, does it matter if he looks 20 years older? By that point, imo, old is old and it's not much of a difference. I work outside every day, in the sun, for 8 to 10 hours at a pop. I wouldn't do anything else. I'm pretty sure when I was younger, I thought the same way about my future 30-40 year old self. As if, it didn't matter what I was doing at the time because by the time it caught up with me, I'd be old and such. If/when I hit 70, I will probably want to be the best 70 I can be...

cowboybiker
06-08-2012, 11:46 AM
Meant to type, "just SAW". Reaction time is dulling in my old age, apparently.http://i48.tinypic.com/14mqfd2.png