PDA

View Full Version : Soldiers, Sailors and Airman of the Allied Expeditionary Force-June 6th 1944

thomashenry
06-05-2012, 07:29 PM
You are to embark on the great crusade, towards which we have striven many months. The eyes of the World are upon You. The Hopes of Liberty Loving People everywhere march with you. In company with our Brave Allies and Brothers in Arms on other fronts, you will bring about the destruction of the German War machine, the Elimination of Tyranny over the oppressed peoples of Europe and security for ourselves in a free World.

Your Task will not be an easy One, your enemy will be well trained, well equipped and battle hardened. He will fight savagely.

But this is the year 1944 ! Much has happened since the NAZI triumphs of 1940-1941. The United Nations have inflicted upon the Germans great defeats, in open battle, man to man. Our Air offensive has seriously reduced their strength in the air and their capacity to wage war on the ground. Our home fronts have given us an overwhelming superiority in weapons and munitions of war, and placed at our disposal great reserves of trained fighting men. The tide has turned ! The free men of the world are marching together to Victory !

I have full confidence in your courage and devotion to duty and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than Full Victory.

Good luck! And let us beseech the blessing of almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking

Dwight Eisenhower

and always Many thanks to All the Veterans for my freedom, especially to my Dad who took a little Trip into Normandy France on June 6th, T/Sgt T Eady, top turret gunner on a B17 in the 390th Bombardment Group

josh120
06-05-2012, 07:33 PM
Right there with ya man. Good post.

dbx
06-05-2012, 07:40 PM
..... and always Many thanks to All the Veterans for my freedom, especially to my Dad who took a little Trip into Normandy France on June 6th, T/Sgt T Eady, top turret gunner on a B17 in the 390th Bombardment Group

No offense here, but I'm pretty good at math. While you might have been the very last runt of a litter, you, at age 51, can hardly be the son of a WWII vet. I'm 53...and my father served as a Merchant Marine, at age 14 (illegally), and again, in the U.S. Navy at age 16 (no mistake here), but he got out because of the Korean War, not WWII.

Care to clarify?

so-tex
06-05-2012, 08:00 PM
No offense here, but I'm pretty good at math. While you might have been the very last runt of a litter, you, at age 51, can hardly be the son of a WWII vet. I'm 53...and my father served as a Merchant Marine, at age 14 (illegally), and again, in the U.S. Navy at age 16 (no mistake here), but he got out because of the Korean War, not WWII.

Care to clarify?Not doubting the OP. He could have been a late child (it happens). My dad served in Korea as well.

dbx
06-05-2012, 08:02 PM
Not doubting the OP. He could have been a late child (it happens). My dad served in Korea as well.

Don't be stupid.... :)

crupiea
06-05-2012, 08:04 PM
I am 50 and my dad was in WW2. he was born in 1925.

dbx
06-05-2012, 08:07 PM
I am 50 and my dad was in WW2. he was born in 1925.

And would have been 20 (or even, 19) when the war ended. And ...lol, he had your ass in 1961? :eek: :D :D

V-240
06-05-2012, 08:12 PM
Rupert Murdoch had his 6th kid at age 72.

Bow chikka bow wow.

:cool:

thomashenry
06-05-2012, 08:18 PM

Care to clarify? Seriously Man, your questioning me about my father ? if I am correct. well your not terrible at math, Your F-ING awful and if your looking to insult or be an arrogant self righteous azz you have accomplished it, and my dad served in the USAAF from 1943 to 1945, A TOP TURRET GUNNER ON A B17 Flying Fortress, he flew 34 Combat Missions and 250 Hours of Combat Flight, In the air offensives of Europe, the Rhineland, Central Europe, Normandy--He was awarded the Air Medal with a General Order, 675 Hdqtrs, Third Bomb Division Sep 1944 w. 4 oak leaf clusters along with 1 Bronze Star, 4 overseas service ribbons, a Good Conduct medal, also medals From Africa and the Middle East ----------- MY FATHER WAS Born on Aug 19 1924, that CLEAR enough for you, I was born 1960, that CLEAR enough for you ?_____DO THE MATH GENIUS

tmonkey
06-05-2012, 08:24 PM
i would not put my birthday on the internet - but hey that is just me

dbx
06-05-2012, 08:26 PM
Seriously Man, your questioning me about my father ? if I am correct. well your not terrible at math, Your F-ING awful and if your looking to insult or be an arrogant self righteous azz you have accomplished it, and my dad served in the USAAF from 1943 to 1945, A TOP TURRET GUNNER ON A B17 Flying Fortress, he flew 34 Combat Missions and 250 Hours of Combat Flight, In the air offensives of Europe, the Rhineland, Central Europe, Normandy--He was awarded the Air Medal with a General Order, 675 Hdqtrs, Third Bomb Division Sep 1944 w. 4 oak leaf clusters along with 1 Bronze Star, 4 overseas service ribbons, a Good Conduct medal, also medals From Africa and the Middle East ----------- MY FATHER WAS Born on Aug 19 1924, that CLEAR enough for you, I was born on Dec 2 1960, that CLEAR enough for you ?_____DO THE MATH GENIUS

My sincere apologies, to you, and to Crupiea. I forgot how to add :(. Seriously, I'm sorry for questioning you. I grew up in a period where so many liars want to be Viet-Nam vets from "the front", that the age deal here...while a bit off scale...threw me back to that. I am truly sorry for affronting you and your family.

kenhorse
06-05-2012, 08:33 PM
my dad (born in 1918) was at pearl harbor and went the whole war in the navy. i was born in 1960 (52) i did 20 years in the air force (if any body really gives a ****

thomashenry
06-05-2012, 08:35 PM
My sincere apologies, to you, and to Crupiea. I forgot how to add :(. Seriously, I'm sorry for questioning you. I grew up in a period where so many liars want to be Viet-Nam vets from "the front", that the age deal here...while a bit off scale...threw me back to that. I am truly sorry for affronting you and your family. Apology accepted and there are few things in life anymore that can rattle my cage, that happens to be one of em, no lasting harm however, you did the honorable thing, were good

thomashenry
06-05-2012, 08:45 PM
Well I have been told to delete & repost thread, problem is I don`t know how and never have and not sure as to why

Nalu
06-05-2012, 09:02 PM
Seriously Man, your questioning me about my father ? if I am correct. well your not terrible at math, Your F-ING awful and if your looking to insult or be an arrogant self righteous azz you have accomplished it, and my dad served in the USAAF from 1943 to 1945, A TOP TURRET GUNNER ON A B17 Flying Fortress, he flew 34 Combat Missions and 250 Hours of Combat Flight, In the air offensives of Europe, the Rhineland, Central Europe, Normandy--He was awarded the Air Medal with a General Order, 675 Hdqtrs, Third Bomb Division Sep 1944 w. 4 oak leaf clusters along with 1 Bronze Star, 4 overseas service ribbons, a Good Conduct medal, also medals From Africa and the Middle East ----------- MY FATHER WAS Born on Aug 19 1924, that CLEAR enough for you, I was born 1960, that CLEAR enough for you ?_____DO THE MATH GENIUS

I'm sorry this thread got off to bad start. Please forgive me for adding my prideful comment, TH. My memory banks got scrambled trying to remember my pop's birth date and doing the math with my age...enough of that.
God Bless your dad and that entire generation..I hope I'm not boring anyone because I know I have spoke about my dad many times on this forum. My appreciation is not just for him but an entire generation of selfless individuals that sacrificed so much for this country and the freedoms we enjoy today.

Some photos of my pops ship..this was the last year of he war..he served the first part in the North Atlantic.

Launching of the USS Randolph

http://i.imgur.com/A8pxm.jpg

Man of War..this photo hangs proudly in my office

http://i.imgur.com/gksUL.jpg

After Kamikazi attack

http://i.imgur.com/EbNut.jpg

The Bunker Hill after a kamikazi attack..taken from pop's ship
http://i.imgur.com/yDAqL.jpg

Guns and Hellcat

http://i.imgur.com/uI8Te.jpg

They were kids..I had to Photoshop his insignia for his memorial..it was torn as long as I remember and I wanted to make it right for him.

http://i.imgur.com/LU63L.jpg

Sailors on MogMog..they did love their liquor!! I remember my dad mentioning this little sand spit once..I'm surprised he remembered it!

http://i.imgur.com/N9vuy.jpg

The brass wanted my dad's ship to return to Pearl after the Kamikazi hit her at Ullithi..Capt. Baker said that she is a man of war and we will fix her at sea and keep fighting..

http://i.imgur.com/uGS7H.jpg

My dad worked in aerospace for the rest of his career. His ship went on to pick up John Glenn after the first manned space flight.

John Herschel Glenn Jr.
Date 09-03-2009

In February 1962 the Randolph was my primary recovery ship after my orbital voyage in space. After a three-orbit flight, I landed near Noa from which I was transferred, by helicopter, to the USS Randolph. I just want to say thank you again to the crew of the USS Randolph for picking me out of the sea that day. God Bless - John H. Glenn, COL USMC (Ret)

God Bless America!

Nalu
06-05-2012, 09:17 PM
Well I have been told to delete & repost thread, problem is I don`t know how and never have and not sure as to why

Why should you have to do anything?? Because some wanna be historian didn't have anything better to do?

DBX..kiss my ass. srs
thomashenry is a better man than I.

50Female
06-05-2012, 10:12 PM

Care to clarify?

I am 50 and my father fought in WWII, He went in about 30 days after D-Day and fought in the fires of Caen, then headed up to Holland. He won the Military Cross for bravery- the second highest medal in Canada at the time.

He was 28 when he joined. He finally married when he was 40. My mother was 28. I was born when she was 36 and he was 49. He had his first heart attack that year and his last, fatal heart attack 6 years later.

So the math is entirely possible.

I am always very aware of D-Day every year. It means a lot to me. In fact, I was going to start my log here tonight.

paolo59
06-06-2012, 12:13 AM
Heros, one and all!

Iceman1800
06-06-2012, 04:04 AM
A few years back, my daughter had bring a vet to school day. While we were there, I had the chance to meet a man who was a paratrooper in WW2. He said he was 17 when he joined up and that it was common for young men to lie about their age to be able to enlist. He was a very nice man and he shared a few stories about his jumps. I was incredibly humbled to be in the same room with him. He even wore his uniform!

Bushmaster
06-06-2012, 05:15 AM
No offense here, but I'm pretty good at math. While you might have been the very last runt of a litter, you, at age 51, can hardly be the son of a WWII vet.

Sure he can, and it's not even that big of a stretch.

OP is 51, and even if his father was ~20-21 years old on D-Day, that would put his father in his early 40's when OP was conceived. Back it up a little and assume his father was even younger on D-Day - which is entirely plausible, then he would have been in mid-late 30's when OP was born.

Bushmaster
06-06-2012, 05:18 AM
Rupert Murdoch had his 6th kid at age 72.

Bow chikka bow wow.

:cool:

I think Hugh Hefner's mummified ass is still knocking them out too..

KeepItMoving
06-06-2012, 05:22 AM
I still get chills thinking of what those incredibly brave heroes did for us. Honestly, it's acts of people like this that inspire me to do better.

Going into those machine gun nests on a transport through rough seas praying you'd live but kinda knowing you wouldn't. You're in the prime of your life. You're watching your commrades get cut down around you; crawling over them; pressing on....Unbelievable and true.

Great post.

m9a1mike
06-06-2012, 06:27 AM
I still get chills thinking of what those incredibly brave heroes did for us. Honestly, it's acts of people like this that inspire me to do better.

Going into those machine gun nests on a transport through rough seas praying you'd live but kinda knowing you wouldn't. You're in the prime of your life. You're watching your commrades get cut down around you; crawling over them; pressing on....Unbelievable and true.

Great post.

Was thinking the same thing this morning as I heard a DJ on the radio say something about D-Day.

NorwichGrad
06-06-2012, 06:28 AM
Tom,

Thanks for initiating this thread. With your kind permission, I’d like to piggyback the following letter written by General Eisenhower ‘in case of failure.’ Of course, the D-Day Invasion was successful, paid for by thousands of American, Canadian, British, and French lives.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Our landings in the Cherbourg-Havre area have failed to gain a satisfactory foothold and I have withdrawn the troops. My decision to attack at this time and place was based upon the best information available. The troops, the air and the Navy did all that Bravery and devotion to duty could do. If any blame or fault attaches to the attempt it is mine alone."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wanted to add this to show the kind of leader the General was. Let’s all learn from this great man what ‘honor and integrity’ truly mean. And, most importantly, may the future generation never forget the sacrifices of the past to give us what we have in the present.

NorwichGrad
06-06-2012, 06:44 AM
A few years back, my daughter had bring a vet to school day. While we were there, I had the chance to meet a man who was a paratrooper in WW2. He said he was 17 when he joined up and that it was common for young men to lie about their age to be able to enlist. He was a very nice man and he shared a few stories about his jumps. I was incredibly humbled to be in the same room with him. He even wore his uniform!

Very nice story.

I graduated from jump school in the summer of 1996. After receiving our wings, the school’s commanding officer introduced an honored guest. He was a pleasant older gentleman. His demeanor showed kindness and humility. He was the type of man anybody would be proud to call ‘grandpa.’

It takes 5 jumps at Fort Benning to successfully become Airborne-qualified.
This honored guest also had five jumps. You guessed it. He jumped into 5 airborne missions in Europe’s AO, to include Operation Neptune (D-Day Normandy) and Operation Market Garden (movie ‘A Bridge Too Far’).

And yes, we were all humbled by his presence.

mslman71
06-06-2012, 06:59 AM
My last girlfriend (before I met my wife!) is 42 now, I think, and her father was a photographer for the US Information Agency. He took many of the first photographs of Hiroshima after the surrender of Japan. He was born in '22 (died in '07), and got a late start having kids.

thomashenry
06-06-2012, 07:06 AM
Tom,

Thanks for initiating this thread. With your kind permission, I’d like to piggyback the following letter written by General Eisenhower ‘in case of failure.’ Of course, the D-Day Invasion was successful, paid for by thousands of American, Canadian, British, and French lives.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Our landings in the Cherbourg-Havre area have failed to gain a satisfactory foothold and I have withdrawn the troops. My decision to attack at this time and place was based upon the best information available. The troops, the air and the Navy did all that Bravery and devotion to duty could do. If any blame or fault attaches to the attempt it is mine alone."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wanted to add this to show the kind of leader the General was. Let’s all learn from this great man what ‘honor and integrity’ truly mean. And, most importantly, may the future generation never forget the sacrifices of the past to give us what we have in the present. Is that Irony ? Tru Leadership, taking sole responsibility, no one running interference, or excuses, sole responsibility for a monumental decsion {the fate of the free world}, Great General and Great Leader, Where are they Now ?

thomashenry
06-06-2012, 07:11 AM
Right there with ya man. Good post. Very fortunate that younger Generations understand the magnitude of what many Men have given to this Nation in order to be Free

BillReilly
06-06-2012, 07:35 AM
http://youtu.be/eEIqdcHbc8I

thomashenry
06-06-2012, 07:43 AM
http://youtu.be/eEIqdcHbc8I Thanks Bill, If I knew how to imbed this stuff I would have---Thanks

Forge3
06-06-2012, 07:45 AM
JYQ62ynBUc0

V-240
06-06-2012, 11:04 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/251989_400938103290285_1217915223_n.jpg

waldopepper
06-06-2012, 11:54 AM
FFWD to about 1:30

oDW2eCwS848?t

thomashenry
06-06-2012, 12:09 PM
ffwd to about 1:30

odw2ecws848?t in my worst nightmare, i couldn`t imagine

Big_Sky_Guy
06-06-2012, 12:18 PM
Is that Irony ? Tru Leadership, taking sole responsibility, no one running interference, or excuses, sole responsibility for a monumental decsion {the fate of the free world}, Great General and Great Leader, Where are they Now ?

They were amazingly honest.

And they are among us right now, making the difficult decisions. I would hope and pray they would be as honest if we fail.

Like him or not, the POTUS authorized the mission for OBL on a 40% chance it was him (I wish I had a way to verify this #, but many highly connected people have used the stat) When the helicopter went down, SOS Clinton could have aborted the remainder of the mission. She did not.

Those were balsy decisions.

The first 20 minutes of Saving Private Ryan absolutely put me in my place each of the 1/2 dozen times I have watch it. That is self-sacrifice. Knowing and doing.

jamacdon
06-06-2012, 12:27 PM

And they are among us right now, making the difficult decisions. I would hope and pray they would be as honest if we fail.

The first 20 minutes of Saving Private Ryan absolutely put me in my place each of the 1/2 dozen times I have watch it. That is self-sacrifice. Knowing and doing.

I agree 100%. Repped.

crupiea
06-06-2012, 03:33 PM
Is that Irony ? Tru Leadership, taking sole responsibility, no one running interference, or excuses, sole responsibility for a monumental decsion {the fate of the free world}, Great General and Great Leader, Where are they Now ?

I think they are in beverly hills at a fund raiser.

http://www.whitehousedossier.com/2012/06/06/obama-scheduled-commemorate-dday/

josh120
06-06-2012, 05:59 PM
Very fortunate that younger Generations understand the magnitude of what many Men have given to this Nation in order to be Free

Thank you. I have always been interested in learning about the sacrifices made for our country by our servicemen and women. I wish that more people my age would be too

thomashenry
06-06-2012, 06:57 PM
I think they are in beverly hills at a fund raiser.

http://www.whitehousedossier.com/2012/06/06/obama-scheduled-commemorate-dday/ Pretty sad

hochspeyer
06-06-2012, 09:38 PM
Great thread (*apart from the little spat).The entire world owes a debt of gratitude to those courageous men.

Nalu
06-07-2012, 01:50 AM
Great thread (*apart from the little spat).The entire world owes a debt of gratitude to those courageous men.

Little fukkin spat my ass.. don't belittle it cheeseburger.

NorwichGrad
06-07-2012, 04:44 AM

Like him or not, the POTUS authorized the mission for OBL on a 40% chance it was him (I wish I had a way to verify this #, but many highly connected people have used the stat) When the helicopter went down, SOS Clinton could have aborted the remainder of the mission. She did not.

Those were balsy decisions.

Negative, Ghostrider.

“It’s George Bush’s fault” as the be all end all response to everything shows ZERO integrity and class. I’ve held a couple of pretty F’d up units in the Army, and I never, never, ever blamed the previous commanders.

And as far as OBL, I give 100% credit to our military and intelligence community, NOT the temporary occupant at the White House.

pvsampson
06-07-2012, 05:23 AM
Sure he can, and it's not even that big of a stretch.

OP is 51, and even if his father was ~20-21 years old on D-Day, that would put his father in his early 40's when OP was conceived. Back it up a little and assume his father was even younger on D-Day - which is entirely plausible, then he would have been in mid-late 30's when OP was born.

I am 46 and have 5 yr and 4 yr old girls to a, woman, who just turned 35 last week.The numbers can definitely add up.

DBX apologized,OP accepted.

Respect and thanks to those who fought for our freedom.Even on this side of the planet!

Lest we forget!