PDA

View Full Version : Old truck people.

Halfback32
06-05-2012, 08:37 AM
Hi I'm posting in this section for help with my truck. My uncle just sold me his old 1971 ford F250. It's in pretty good shape. The only problem is that the reservoir where the coolant goes isn't hooked up to the radiator. Like whatever you put in immediately drains out. Can I drive like this if it's just around town ? And I just use water in the radiator? Also Is it just a tube I need to buy to fix it?

Thank you any help or tips I get is greatly appreciated.

thomashenry
06-05-2012, 08:45 AM
Hi I'm posting in this section for help with my truck. My uncle just sold me his old 1971 ford F250. It's in pretty good shape. The only problem is that the reservoir where the coolant goes isn't hooked up to the radiator. Like whatever you put in immediately drains out. Can I drive like this if it's just around town ? And I just use water in the radiator? Also Is it just a tube I need to buy to fix it?

Thank you any help or tips I get is greatly appreciated. You can put a catch can on it but you would have to replace the radiator, but the radiator itself shold be expansive enough to handle the overflow, the older trucks some of em didn`t have alternate resorvoirs

beachguy498
06-05-2012, 09:44 AM
Snap a picture of the radiator and post it. It probably doesn't have a coolant recovery tank on it, there is probably a small diameter hose that goes down the side of the radiator. A common mistake is over-filling the radiator, when it gets hot and expands, coolant comes out of the hose. Bring the level about an inch below the neck in the radiator tank and you'll be okay. I advise using an antifreeze mix in it.

Rob

Halfback32
06-05-2012, 10:32 AM
Snap a picture of the radiator and post it. It probably doesn't have a coolant recovery tank on it, there is probably a small diameter hose that goes down the side of the radiator. A common mistake is over-filling the radiator, when it gets hot and expands, coolant comes out of the hose. Bring the level about an inch below the neck in the radiator tank and you'll be okay. I advise using an antifreeze mix in it.

Rob

Yeah that's exactly what there is. The hose runs down the right side of it. It's not connected to anything whatever comes out drops to the ground. And thank you I did over fill it when it was hot.

V-240
06-05-2012, 06:03 PM
Yeah, I don't think anything made in 1971 had coolant reservoirs. Most just had the overflow tube.

Vehicles of that era were fairly simple, unlike today's computer controlled nightmares, lol.

flairon
06-05-2012, 06:10 PM
an f250 may very well have had a resevoir in 71. F250 then as now is a heavier duty truck. Its probably got a 352 FE based big block like a 390/427

PowerFlex
06-05-2012, 06:27 PM
It sounds like you just need to buy the hose that connects the radiator to the overflow container. There is not picture posted so that is my guess. It's a very simple SIMPLE fix....just run down to your local auto parts store and tell them your situation, and even better just have them come out and take a look and see what they think.

Fix it right, it'll pay for itself.......

beachguy498
06-05-2012, 07:22 PM
an f250 may very well have had a resevoir in 71. F250 then as now is a heavier duty truck. Its probably got a 352 FE based big block like a 390/427

F250 probably had a 360 in it. It was the bore of a 390 with the crank and rods of the 352. The 352 was basically out in 1967 in passenger cars, I never saw one in a '68 Ford.

It sounds like you just need to buy the hose that connects the radiator to the overflow container. There is not picture posted so that is my guess. It's a very simple SIMPLE fix....just run down to your local auto parts store and tell them your situation, and even better just have them come out and take a look and see what they think.

Fix it right, it'll pay for itself.......

If a coolant recovery tank is used, very important to use the correct radiator cap, the one from a sealed system won't let the fluid in and out of the over flow tube.

Rob