PDA

View Full Version : How are .350 AVG high school kids getting drafted in 1st round (MLB)

Dan916
06-05-2012, 07:17 AM
Never raged so much at the T.V. seeing these high school kids who are unproven and have no HRs, or are only batting ~.350, in high school get drafted in first round. If they're hitting .350 against high school scrubs clearly something is wrong. Even my fat ass batted .430 every year in high school. I didn't go far beyond that.

Yes jelly but there has to be better kids hitting .500+ with power.

grizz101
06-05-2012, 07:18 AM
I don't follow the MLB draft much but I've heard this is one of the weakest draft classes ever.

mcbizkit02
06-05-2012, 07:19 AM
You obviously should have been drafted.

Dan916
06-05-2012, 07:20 AM
You obviously should have been drafted.
I was drafted

Zylantypic
06-05-2012, 07:21 AM
Lol my buddy had a .550 AVG with a 4.5 fourty yard dash. He entered the draft but did not get drafted high, got a scholarship to ASU though.

Dan916
06-05-2012, 07:24 AM
Lol my buddy had a .550 AVG with a 4.5 fourty yard dash. He entered the draft but did not get drafted, got a scholarship to ASU though.
it seems like they favor kids who played in competitive travel teams, overseas, and size/speed potential.. But they don't give 2 ****s at how they perform in actual high school. Just blows my mind that these so called exceptional players have such crap stats against high school scrubs. Pitching in high school is batting practice compared to college/minors.

PervedOut
06-05-2012, 07:25 AM
Let this be a lesson on what to push your children on.....

MCrow
06-05-2012, 07:30 AM
Yes, its weird, I batted .443 one season (HS average about .398) but I was 5'6", didn't play any ball outside of the HS season and wasn't fast or particularly good at anything but swinging the bat. I think people look at a lot more than average, they look at bat speed and the way the swing looks and overall athletic ability. Then again, my strike zone was like one square foot between my height and my squaty batting stance....lol.

I hit for a higher average than a couple of guys here in MN that played in the majors but I wouldn't say that I was anywhere near as good as they were.

0starine
06-05-2012, 08:03 AM
It's all about the 5 tools, measurables, and dat dere potential.

bn7
06-05-2012, 08:04 AM
It's more about projectability than anything, plus a .350 average in Texas, Socal, or Florida is probably a lot more impressive than a .400-.500 average in the Northern part of country just because the talent pool in those places is so so so much better.

MCrow
06-05-2012, 08:09 AM
It's more about projectability than anything, plus a .350 average in Texas, Socal, or Florida is probably a lot more impressive than a .400-.500 average in the Northern part of country just because the talent pool in those places is so so so much better.

No doubt, MN is no hot bed for baseball. You can only play about 6 months of the year here outside of the batting cage.

Lots of players can hit .400+ here and not get a sniff from a scout. The best kids in MN need to play on travelling teams to get any look from scouts and that's probably more a result of other more known kids being on the team.

AreolaBorealis
06-05-2012, 08:11 AM
I hit .594 in teeball with an ops of .923. come the fuk at me.

thefederalist
06-05-2012, 08:26 AM
Al Davis mentality in the MLB. Speed and ability to do backflips on command > talent. It's probably the reason we won't see anyone hit .400 ever again. All these guys are more concerned with their squat numbers and home run dollars than just playing the game at a high level.

But in reality these 18 y/o kids getting drafted likely won't sniff the majors till 24/25 so they have time to learn to hit at a high level.

Tyler44
06-05-2012, 08:32 AM
It's still politics to a degree.

Only matter how much the kid gets seen and more importantly, by who.

Zylantypic
06-05-2012, 08:45 AM
Al Davis mentality in the MLB. Speed and ability to do backflips on command > talent. It's probably the reason we won't see anyone hit .400 ever again. All these guys are more concerned with their squat numbers and home run dollars than just playing the game at a high level.

But in reality these 18 y/o kids getting drafted likely won't sniff the majors till 24/25 so they have time to learn to hit at a high level.
Think again.

Walker25
06-05-2012, 08:50 AM
I batted .520 senior year and like .470ish career through high school. Was also the starting pitcher and I didn't get ****. Didn't get drafted or even get a scholarship offer. Then at the state all star game a bunch of guys there got drafted and they weren't anything special at all. Was rough

Zylantypic
06-05-2012, 08:52 AM
I batted .520 senior year and like .470ish career through high school. Was also the starting pitcher and I didn't get ****. Didn't get drafted or even get a scholarship offer. Then at the state all star game a bunch of guys there got drafted and they weren't anything special at all. Was rough
You're still pitching though?

Big_Spaz
06-05-2012, 09:20 AM
I hate that all these MLB teams seem to be drafting "Athletes" now with no set positions and figure they will "play there way into a position". No man that's junk. What happened to drafting a third baseman because he played third base all his life? Or a catcher who ... well .... has always caught? I just don't get it.

But then again that's why the Phillies now have Anthony Hewitt's or whatever his name is in their system and no Jimmy Rollins, Chase Utley, etc.

-Spaz

melanimal_old
06-05-2012, 09:26 AM
who are you talking about? It is actually frowned upon by a lot of teams if youre hitting below .400 for High School players. Jon Singleton hit .330 his Senior year of highschool and he dropped all the way to round 8. However he is now one of the top prospects in baseball.

MCrow
06-05-2012, 09:33 AM
I hate that all these MLB teams seem to be drafting "Athletes" now with no set positions and figure they will "play there way into a position". No man that's junk. What happened to drafting a third baseman because he played third base all his life? Or a catcher who ... well .... has always caught? I just don't get it.

But then again that's why the Phillies now have Anthony Hewitt's or whatever his name is in their system and no Jimmy Rollins, Chase Utley, etc.

-Spaz

The problem you have is that drafting these kids a 16.

The Twins drafted Miguel Sano and thought he would be a SS but now he's 19 and 6'3" ~210 and being developed as a 3b and might end up getting so big that 1b or OF is where he'll end up.

The_Source
06-05-2012, 09:37 AM
I went to the batting cages the other week, and had to be batting at least .600. Not even one phone call...

yes mad :mad:

magneto90
06-05-2012, 09:39 AM
It's just like any sport, if you want to be taken serious you need to get on a top AAU team, and go to a hot bed high school. There are certainly exceptions, but a lot of it has to do with lack of exposure/level of competition. My best friend (5'9 170) in high school averaged 21 ppg and 10 apg, lightning quick, 40+ % 3 point shooter, scored close to 2000 points but only got 1 D-2 offer and mostly D-3. Why? because we were in a conference where we played against scrub teams with 5'10 centers. He could have easily started at a lot of smaller D-1 schools no doubt.

There are always great players in baseball that fall through the cracks, hell Pujols didn't get taken until round 13.

thefederalist
06-05-2012, 09:44 AM
It's just like any sport, if you want to be taken serious you need to get on a top AAU team, and go to a hot bed high school. There are certainly exceptions, but a lot of it has to do with lack of exposure/level of competition. My best friend (5'9 170) in high school averaged 21 ppg and 10 apg, lightning quick, 40+ % 3 point shooter, scored close to 2000 points but only got 1 D-2 offer and mostly D-3. Why? because we were in a conference where we played against scrub teams with 5'10 centers. He could have easily started at a lot of smaller D-1 schools no doubt.

There are always great players in baseball that fall through the cracks, hell Pujols didn't get taken until round 13.

that's because he didn't do back flips nor did he outrun a D1 quarterback. smh at MLB TV analysts citing crap like 40 times. you think ty cobb knew his 40 time? i'll bet ted williams didn't know the difference between his vertec and jump mat vertical.

melanimal_old
06-05-2012, 10:21 AM
that's because he didn't do back flips nor did he outrun a D1 quarterback. smh at MLB TV analysts citing crap like 40 times. you think ty cobb knew his 40 time? i'll bet ted williams didn't know the difference between his vertec and jump mat vertical.

there were big questions about Pujols actual age and his competition coming out of Highschool