PDA

View Full Version : Major Lat Strain I think I have a delima

HunterMC6
06-05-2012, 07:14 AM
I've had problems with my left lat muscle for years, every so often I strain it slightly doing typically light weight stuff. Lifting heavy had never bothered it one bit, but when I do feel any pain I take a few days off to recover. So over the weekend I was moving furniture out of my grandparents house, I was going backwards down the stairs and turned to the right to look for the next step and I felt a searing pain all the way up my back.

I got rushed to the ER, couldn't stand up straight couldn't lift my left arm was breathing very shallow. Got some drugs to re leave some of the pain. After a few hours I was able to walk a little and lift my arms about mid section high. They determined I had a "major strain" to my lat muscle left side only.

I have a consultation with a physical therapist so hopefully I can find out a little more. I know for sure right now that I can't lift or work for a while (doctors orders), Still am unable to lift my arms above my shoulders, 99% sure I could not support the bar at this point on my shoulders, doubt I could even bench without pain and dead lifts are out for sure, which is really really disappointing I was on month 4 of SS and making progress I was very happy with. I loved going to train and it made me feel amazing. Now I am stuck with taking pain killers/icing/heat for a while and no lifting of any kind.

Now what do I do in my off time? I know that eating like I was for my bulk is out of the question since it will turn directly to fat. Maintaining will also be difficult without some sort of weight training so does that only leave eat under maintenance and try to cut down some? I never had much of a base to begin with and what little I have built up in 4 months is going to disappear quickly I am sure and will likely leave me a skinny phaggot with no Lean muscle. Fakkkkkk feelsbadan.jpg

Cliffs:
- Major lat strain
- Er visit determined no lifting
- On pain killers and icing/heat alternating
- Running SS 4 months until now
- Nutritionally how do i set up my plan? (cut, maintain, stay on bulk)

Inb4 OP's a phaggot, do you even lift and tldr

WonderPug
06-05-2012, 07:16 AM
Eat at maintenance (taking into account the change in activity level and the impact of TDEE).

nobrah
06-05-2012, 07:21 AM
I know for sure right now that I can't lift or work for a while (doctors orders)

I wasn't aware that a left side lat strain affected all other muscles in your body. ;) You can still train your legs without any ill effect, you can still train abs, lower back, and arms with care, and you can certainly train your right side unilaterally. The only problem here is limiting the use of your strained muscle as much as possible, but completely halting your training during recovery of a relatively minor injury is asinine.

So I think this answers the question effectively: continue training everything you can that doesn't cause pain, and eat at around maintenance to maximize your recovery.

chameleonism
06-05-2012, 07:26 AM
You could work on your cardio/endurance with an exercise that doesn't impact your lats (seated bike possibly).

HunterMC6
06-05-2012, 07:27 AM
I wasn't aware that a left side lat strain affected all other muscles in your body. ;) You can still train your legs without any ill effect, you can still train abs, lower back, and arms with care, and you can certainly train your right side unilaterally. The only problem here is limiting the use of your strained muscle as much as possible, but completely halting your training during recovery is asinine.

So I think this answers the question effectively: continue training everything you can that doesn't cause pain, and eat at around maintenance to maximize your recovery.

Do you think this is wise? At the moment I can feel sharp pain just from walking, I know it's early in the injury as this happened 3 days ago. I guess as far as lifting goes I was planning on following the doctors advice and stay away from it for a little while. Not saying i don't trust your judgment but I really want to get through this recovery in the best way possible so I can get back to lifting on a regular program.

Thanks for the reply pug was hoping you would be checking in.

WonderPug
06-05-2012, 07:31 AM
With the injury you have, I don't think it's wise to exert yourself in any way that would induce pain (discomfort). Playing it safe is the best course of action.

nobrah
06-05-2012, 07:43 AM
Do you think this is wise? At the moment I can feel sharp pain just from walking, I know it's early in the injury as this happened 3 days ago. I guess as far as lifting goes I was planning on following the doctors advice and stay away from it for a little while. Not saying i don't trust your judgment but I really want to get through this recovery in the best way possible so I can get back to lifting on a regular program.

Thanks for the reply pug was hoping you would be checking in.
I'm not saying to train regardless of any pain. Pain should be the red flag that says "don't do this movement", so if you get to the gym and find that you can't do anything, don't do anything. Use your best judgment, both in exercise selection and intensity, but also don't assume that because one muscle is injured the rest can't be effectively trained. ;)

HunterMC6
06-05-2012, 07:45 AM
I am hoping the recovery time doesn't take to long but I don't plan on rushing anything. Lifting is a passion but I am missing a lot of work from this injury which is probably more important than anything right now. Anyone have any luck with physical therapy? I have heard good and bad things, really don't want it to be a huge waste of money.

I'm not saying to train regardless of any pain. Pain should be the red flag that says "don't do this movement", so if you get to the gym and find that you can't do anything, don't do anything. Use your best judgment, both in exercise selection and intensity, but also don't assume that because one muscle is injured the rest can't be effectively trained.

Very true, I have a home gym setup with one of my neighbors so we really only have a squat rack and a straight bar for curling (which I don't even use yet), I think my options for isolation movements are kind of limited if I'm not mistaken. We have 0 DB's or cable machines at the moment. That's one of the reasons I choose SS as a starting point since we were all set up for the beginner part of the program.

nobrah
06-05-2012, 08:00 AM
I have a home gym setup with one of my neighbors so we really only have a squat rack and a straight bar for curling (which I don't even use yet), I think my options for isolation movements are kind of limited if I'm not mistaken. We have 0 DB's or cable machines at the moment. That's one of the reasons I choose SS as a starting point since we were all set up for the beginner part of the program.

When I'm working with injured folks, stabilization help is very important, if not critical in nearly every case. So I'll have them work primarily with machines or braced dumbells/kettlebells where possible. Anything that takes away stabilization has a much higher probability of bringing the injured muscles or joints into the picture, and that's obviously not a good thing. ;)

So yes, if your equipment is limited such that you're stuck with the bigger compound movements, abstinence would be a good idea in the initial stages of recovery. When you start to feel better, you can get creative with your equipment, but that can be risky without supervision and depending on your lifting experience.

HunterMC6
06-06-2012, 04:54 PM
Slight update:

Got PT going this week, I suffer from a posterior problem which basically results in my posture being in a "good morning" style state during typical sitting activities or when there is any load being lifted or put above my shoulders/head. I think he said I have some pressure/tension between my T4 and T1 (vertebrate? does this sound right?) in my spine which limits my mobility in my neck causing bad tension in the ligaments attached to my lats which I believe causes my spasms and strains.

Long story short My head is not centered over my shoulders correctly, however the good news is when this is corrected it should seriously help my squat form and hopefully help me increase my PR's when I can get back into training again. Might be a ways off at this point though.

Will staying on maintenance calories sort of help me "recomp"? I really won't have **** for lean mass left by the time I get back to the gym but if my body fat drops some during this process I wouldn't be the least bit upset, or is all that just wishful thinking?

Thanks for all your help so far guys really appreciated.