PDA

View Full Version : Just realized it's been 6 months since my last cigarette...

KilaByte
06-04-2012, 09:38 PM
Smoked for probably 13 years, I'd say 1/2 a pack on a normal day to a pack on the weekends if adult beverages were added. Tried using the patch some years back, that's a freaking joke. Got to the point where it was just the addiction/ habit and actually despising everything about it.

Fast forward to last years Thanksgiving, everyone had a good time, maybe too much of a good time, woke up the next day not even wanting to think about a cigarette, didn't smoke all day, next day came around and I decided to see how long I could take it. Day 3 started to be a nightmare, the cravings were making me irritable as hell, some innocent people might have gotten it for no reason, day 4 was more of the same. By day 5 I taught my brain to erase the thought by doing something, anything, think about a cig and I'd go out and wash the cars, mow the lawn, anything, 2 minutes into whatever I was doing and I'd forget all about the cancer stick.

Then it started to get easy, realized it's all mental and since I was getting satisfaction from knowing I conquered it I'd be more motivated not to want one. And next thing I know it's today....6 months and almost 2 weeks without something that would kill me, no help from patches, gum, prescriptions that'll make you homicidal. I've had beers with people that smoke, people tried to con me into having one, I just don't even care, it's not forced either.

I know, TL;DR, pointless thread, not bragging, just hoping it might help at least one person quit this like the sticky we have at the top about a different addiction.

I'm just happy because those who know me still can't believe it as I have THE MOST addictive personality out of anyone I ever came across.

dbx
06-04-2012, 09:42 PM
Been a few of these threads lately, so...no problem. Congrats on your accomplishment. You beaten the terrible 3's; 3rd day, 3rd week and 3rd month. You've got it beat, bruh, Congrats again!

Yekim76
06-05-2012, 09:28 AM
Yep 6 months for me as well. I smoked like you did (1/2 pack to a pack while drinking) I sure as hell dont miss coughing all the time or the wasted money. One of the best things for myself Ive done. Congrats to you

mslman71
06-05-2012, 10:43 AM
Be wary of the "I can have just one with think drink" or "at this party" or "on this trip" trap that often pops up a year or more after you quit.

And, congratulations!

JUSA
06-05-2012, 10:44 AM
Cold turkey is the only way to do it, IMO. I was never a smoker but I picked up a nasty chewing habit from playing baseball back in High school that I didn't dump until only about 8 years back.

KilaByte
06-05-2012, 11:53 AM
Thanks guys

Be wary of the "I can have just one with think drink" or "at this party" or "on this trip" trap that often pops up a year or more after you quit.

And, congratulations!

I'm actually surprised that I never get the urge, even when having a drink, standing in a circle of people smoking in front of me.

hochspeyer
06-05-2012, 12:13 PM
Good job.

mslman71
06-05-2012, 12:15 PM
I'm actually surprised that I never get the urge, even when having a drink, standing in a circle of people smoking in front of me.

Right, you're out of the chemical and physical woods but still in fighting mode. That's why relapse often happens way down the road. You feel back in control and don't have your guard up. Not saying it will happen, but having been there myself more than a few times, be mindful of it.

50Female
06-05-2012, 10:01 PM
Wtg!

drudixon
06-06-2012, 03:05 AM
Great job. Stay on guard you don't start back up. Hanging at the bar after a few beers, smokes'll look real nice...

Jake57
06-06-2012, 07:21 AM
Great job! It's been almost 22 years for me. Cold turkey is the way to go. This may sound tough, but the first five years after smoking were the hardest. After that, it got better. You have made one of the smartest decisions you can make for your health.

larrysmojo
06-06-2012, 07:28 AM
Been 2 yrs for me.. I also went cold turkey. I hated the fact that I smoked. I hated the way I smelled, felt and the cost. Every now and then I'll think about it, but never give in. Congrats man, people that never started have no idea what a hold it can have on you.

redmelly
06-07-2012, 08:04 AM
I smoked all through college, then tapered off. First stopped smoking in my apartment, then only when I went out, then stopped altogether. Getting pregnant helps with that! Then I didn't want to be a mom who smokes so I just didn't pick it up again.

Congratulations!

Mr. Furious
06-07-2012, 12:14 PM
Reward yourself with a celebratory cigarette! One couldn't hurt right?

j/k Good on ya.

zootsuit007
06-08-2012, 07:17 AM
Thank you for posting that. I hope to be where you are 6 months from now.

DaddyJax
06-08-2012, 08:16 AM
Good job to all! I have been 7 years now myself. Started really young,12! I started to get a pack a day when I was 16 and didnt slow down till 29 and then I just went cold turkey at 30. Never felt better and really am disgusted at the way smokers smell knowing that I smelt like that.

KilaByte
06-08-2012, 08:41 AM
Good job to all! I have been 7 years now myself. Started really young,12! I started to get a pack a day when I was 16 and didnt slow down till 29 and then I just went cold turkey at 30. Never felt better and really am disgusted at the way smokers smell knowing that I smelt like that.
That is young, holy.....

I hear ya on the disgust part, I started to realize that towards the end and that's what helped set my mind on not wanting it anymore.

KilaByte
11-22-2012, 09:00 PM
One year now.
Don't even know what else to type :)

buff_dad_dy
11-22-2012, 09:23 PM
One year now.
Don't even know what else to type :)

Congrats!

I am coming up on year three myself and each year I do as you have just done and bump my thread on its anniversary.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121249321&highlight=christmas+lifetime+gift

Kepp up the awesome job! Meet you here same time next year!

Mayor_West
11-23-2012, 05:25 AM
Congrats on getting this far. December 1 will mark my 10th straight year without a smoke and I haven't looked back. I didn't go cold turkey, because while it can be effective for some people, it takes the average smoker between 5-7 attempts to successfully quit and I had no intention of going back and forth. So I gradually scaled down my smoking from a pack a day to 1 per day over the course of 2-3 months and it worked wonders for me. I was able to not only adapt myself to less nicotine, but also the mental aspects that went along with smoking, such as after a meal or while having beers.

Keep up the good work- the farther away you get from it, the easier it gets.

Vytis
11-23-2012, 06:08 AM
Good on you!

whatevergirl
11-23-2012, 08:27 AM
My dad died of lung cancer, so this is a topic near & dear to my heart. :o Very happy for you OP, that you have stayed smoke free for 6 months! Keep going strong! :)

mtpockets
11-23-2012, 10:15 AM
Congrats to all you quitters. WTG

bodyhard
11-23-2012, 11:37 AM
My dad died of lung cancer, so this is a topic near & dear to my heart. :o Very happy for you OP, that you have stayed smoke free for 6 months! Keep going strong! :)

Its been a year now.

Congrats OP.

IronCharles
11-23-2012, 12:00 PM
Good job, OP. It gets easier with time. Been almost 10 years for me.

Cold turkey is the only way to do it, IMO.

This. Gotta go all in, get it over with as fast as possible. If you are not 100% committed to being nicotine free, you will just be making yourself suffer needlessly.

whatevergirl
11-23-2012, 12:05 PM

This. Gotta go all in, get it over with as fast as possible. If you are not 100% committed to being tobacco free, you will just be making yourself suffer needlessly.

congrats to you too on giving it up, Charles. :)

I've never smoked, but I hear it can be a tough addiction to break. There's a show I sometimes catch called Addiction, and it's mainly dealing with folks addicted to alcohol and drugs. And one of the most challenging things with breaking addictions according to the therapist who helps the people on the show, is that you often have to give up people associated with the habit. I remember a woman where I worked in the past, who gave up smoking, saying it was hard to 'give up' her social time outside where she'd take smoke breaks. But, she simply couldn't hang out with those people in fear she would be tempted to smoke, again. She even had to stop going to lunch with them during the early days of quitting, because that was another tempting time for her to smoke. I thought that was an interesting point.

smokinal
11-23-2012, 03:58 PM
Great job man! I'm happy for you.

KilaByte
11-23-2012, 05:01 PM
Thanks guys and girls, it's also funny how you don't realize how much it affects your senses of smell and taste.

You know how you go outside first thing in the morning, take a deep breath and smell that cool, fresh air? Yeah, I've been missing that all these years.

KilaByte
11-28-2014, 04:14 PM
3 years! Actually find the smell disgusting now.

Brackneyc
11-28-2014, 04:40 PM
3 years! Actually find the smell disgusting now.

gjdm

Bando
11-28-2014, 04:56 PM

I would have never pegged you as a smoker (SRS), very surprising that you smoked as few as 10 years ago.

Keep it up OP, my kids spent Thanksgiving and will be spending Christmas without Grandparents thanks to ciggs.

Fishman15
11-28-2014, 07:43 PM
I would have never pegged you as a smoker (SRS), very surprising that you smoked as few as 10 years ago.

Keep it up OP, my kids spent Thanksgiving and will be spending Christmas without Grandparents thanks to ciggs.

Sorry to hear that Bando. I lost my dad way to early because of cigarrettes. He smoked since he was like 12 I guess. Didn't matter what health problems started popping up from them he couldn't/wouldn't stop and it finally killed him.

Way to go OP keep it up. I am about 18 years smoke free now. Smartest thing I ever did...

mandm001
11-28-2014, 07:48 PM
Gratz op, 10 years here, quit over a month ago, cardio gainz thru the roof.