PDA

View Full Version : I'm sitting here watching Blazin Saddles

flairon
06-04-2012, 08:38 PM
I remember me and my pops seeing this at the movies. Its bleeped out like crazy. I can't imagine what an uproar would ensue today if this hit the theaters at the present.

dbx
06-04-2012, 08:42 PM
I remember me and my pops seeing this at the movies. Its bleeped out like crazy. I can't imagine what an uproar would ensue today if this hit the theaters at the present.

Excellent movie. Ah, the good old days, when you could have people laugh at themselves and social mores.

flairon
06-04-2012, 08:46 PM
Or all in the family. Yeah, the NAACP would be all over that in seconds

bigvin73
06-04-2012, 09:00 PM
Possibly the greatest comedy ever if it was made today hell if anything Nell brooks made was made to do there would be riots in the streets. We have lost the ability to laugh at almost anything due to political correctness. Sad really.

Candy gram for mongo!!!!

crupiea
06-04-2012, 09:05 PM
I saw it recently. Thought it was hilarious as a kid but was uncomfortable with it now. I read Huck Finn recently too and felt the same way.

so-tex
06-04-2012, 09:05 PM
What chanel, or are you watching it on DVR.

dbx
06-04-2012, 09:10 PM
I saw it recently. Thought it was hilarious as a kid but was uncomfortable with it now. I read Huck Finn recently too and felt the same way.

Interpretation: California has great weather, but its' totally over the edge social policies have finally taken a toll on me, to the point that I find a classic book/movie like Huck Finn offensive, and a, "we can all laugh at ourselves", movie like Blazing Saddles make me feel ...uncomfortable. Living proof, Crup....you're losing it......... :eek: :(

cowboybiker
06-04-2012, 09:17 PM
Classic movie.

Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Dont feel like pulling up a gif now.

Must be sick or something :eek:

bigvin73
06-04-2012, 09:17 PM

Crup does it make you uncomfortable to watch bill maur or a cris rock comedy show? Or George Lopez? I don't get why when or how it's gotten to the point where huck Finn can make you uncomfortable but that stuff is acceptable so it's comfortable.

Personally I could are less what someone jokes about if it's funny it's funny and im laughing at it.

IronCharles
06-04-2012, 09:30 PM
Dont feel like pulling up a gif now.

Must be sick or something :eek:Slacker. :rolleyes:

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lgcakxZM1n1qzuyazo1_500.gif

How about a little Lili Von Shtupp! :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uai7M4RpoLU

dbx
06-04-2012, 09:38 PM
It's really amazing. That is, that we're going in the opposite direction. Being PC has clearly fcked up relations between all races, seriously. I have never laughed as much, or appreciated as much, when in a, "honest people meet honest people" environment, and we all laugh at our obvious differences. This is what brings people together...family together...marriages together...everyone together; learning to laugh at our differences.

PC is killing us all, and causing a greater divide between everyone. I really don't understand why people can't see this. When you laugh/make fun etc., you're engaging in human interaction...allowing for "objections", comebacks, acceptance, acknowledgement, etc...

LOL, PC? You're basically cutting off all effective communication. Who really doesn't "get" this?

cowboybiker
06-04-2012, 09:57 PM
Slacker. :rolleyes:http://i458.photobucket.com/albums/qq304/cabpup/Blazing-Saddles.gif
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lmb3gv7xww1qchzcgo1_400.gif
R6dm9rN6oTs

paolo59
06-04-2012, 10:16 PM
LMAO I absolutely loved that flic! And "Young Frankenstein too!" Abject silliness and stupidity, with no small amount of social commentary wrapped up in such hilarity that who would even question!?? LOL Excellent!

GuyJin
06-04-2012, 10:22 PM
Probably the best send-up in any genre. Brilliant casting.

"Loz im gehnz!"

Mel rocked.

Tyrbolift
06-05-2012, 01:04 AM
"Have you ever seen such cruelty?"

GuyJin
06-05-2012, 01:31 AM
"It's Hedley!"

"Don't worry. It's 1886. You can sue her!"

LMAO....

Smelly bull
06-05-2012, 03:45 AM
Hedley Lamarr: My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Taggart: God darnit, Mr. Lamarr, you use your tongue prettier than a twenty dollar whore.

"Well give land to the "n****rs and te ch@&nks, but not irish" lol

"someone has to go back and get a ****load of dimes"

While they use th "N" word and other ethnic slurs, the movie makes fun of white people and intolerance in general. Greatest comedy ever!

BillReilly
06-05-2012, 04:05 AM

We live in an age of neo-puritanism. Everywhere you turn some wacko is monitoring what you say, what you do, what you eat and what you are thinking. The funny thing is the lefty scolds that demand a great satire like Blazin' Saddles be heavily redacted claim to be our most sophisticated citizens. The madness must end which means it will end. I just hope I live to see it.

flairon
06-05-2012, 04:53 AM
What chanel, or are you watching it on DVR.
It was on AMC. Seems to be the only channel that will play 'edgy' shows like this and not completely chop them up. I think it must be in their rotation this month or something, I've seen it a couple times on here lately.

flairon
06-05-2012, 04:54 AM
R6dm9rN6oTs
I remember my pops rolling during this scene. Thought this was hysterical.

Bushmaster
06-05-2012, 05:35 AM

There was a huge thread on it once in the regular misc and all the little misc kiddies were fuking horrified about how racist it was and how it should be banned, etc..

They were all so blinded by their sensitive, PC stupidity that none of them realized how the black guy was the only one with a sane brain in the whole town, how he made them all look stupid, and how he actually came out on top at the end of the movie.

No, they said mean things, so it needs to be banned forever... :rolleyes:

Bushmaster
06-05-2012, 05:47 AM

Figures.. :rolleyes:

mslman71
06-05-2012, 06:00 AM
One of the funniest movies of all times.

Brackneyc
06-05-2012, 06:43 AM
Funny that we can laugh at this movie (and I do), yet people get all bent out of shape about a PF commercial making fun of BBers. I guess it depends on whose ox is being gored.

latebloomingmom
06-05-2012, 06:44 AM
that movie is just plain stupid....... I am now dumber for having watched it..:)

paolo59
06-05-2012, 06:55 AM
that movie is just plain stupid....... I am now dumber for having watched it..:)

Ahem...silliness and stupidity are an undervalued and unappreciated commodity today! :) I prefer to see it on the screen from the likes of Mel Brooks, rather than beying played out in Washington or our local city commissions daily! :)

Brackneyc
06-05-2012, 06:55 AM

Sort of like most threads lately.

latebloomingmom
06-05-2012, 06:56 AM
Sort of like most threads lately.you cranky this morning C:(?

Brackneyc
06-05-2012, 06:59 AM
you cranky this morning C:(?

Nah, just finished up arms and getting ready to drive to Chicago. We can still buy the big sodas there, so it's all good. :)

latebloomingmom
06-05-2012, 07:09 AM
Ahem...silliness and stupidity are an undervalued and unappreciated commodity today! :) I prefer to see it on the screen from the likes of Mel Brooks, rather than beying played out in Washington or our local city commissions daily! :)don't get me wrong..Lord knows I understand the value of silly/stupid humor..ahem..but this movie? combines a western with a bunch of idiots running around farting..or do I have the wrong movie?:)

GuyJin
06-05-2012, 07:27 AM
don't get me wrong..Lord knows I understand the value of silly/stupid humor..ahem..but this movie? combines a western with a bunch of idiots running around farting..or do I have the wrong movie?:)

---

No, you have the right movie but you're coming at it from the wrong angle. Mel Brooks took on every sacred cow in the industry at the time and skewered it. Some of the gags were funny and the dialogue was even funnier--and dirty as hell--but it made fun of every Western convention around and took shots at bigotry, scoring big time. As someone wrote, the black sheriff (Cleavon Little) came out way ahead of the pack of white bigots and Brooks made them all look stupid. Brilliantly done and no one has ever topped it.

"Dock that ch@i&k a day's pay for nappin' on the job."

I did feel sorry for Frankie Laine, though.:)

quietchef
06-05-2012, 08:10 AM
There's some guy out there trying to do this all over again with movies, the dictator seems to be the latest one, haven't seen any of them, mostly cause the previews turn me off. I laugh, but don't think I could take 90 minutes of it. Gene wilder was the master of that genre. Watched Charlie and the chocolate factory a few months ago, is it only me, but watching that movie as an adult I picked up just how prophetic and creepy it is that all the things those kids were d@mned for and kicked out are the plagues of children today??? Saying he was ahead of the times is an understatement. Young frankenstein and blazing saddles are awesome too.

thomashenry
06-05-2012, 08:27 AM
Taggert , "Well we will work up a # 6 on em, thats where we`ll go a whomping & a stompin" ! --------I mean the Bunched up Panty self righteous PC blowhard crowd would have an absolute fit if this movie was released today, therapy would be a full, counselors at school, A Congressional oversight committee, hell the DOJ would do an investigation on insults to EVRYONE and Dr Phil would come unglued, the funny thing is Mel Brooks made fun of EVERYONE, he didn`t spare anything ! and all of us knew it was just poking fun ! God how things have changed, I`d much rather watch harry potter, or vampires or comic book originals-----------NOT

latebloomingmom
06-05-2012, 08:46 AM
you guys sound like old people....movies in my day were so much better
what is wrong the young folks nowadays;)

cowboybiker
06-05-2012, 08:58 AM
what is wrong the young folks nowadays;)Instead of fart humor, its now about sh!t humor.

http://i41.tinypic.com/1yx2qu.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/30mo1lj.jpg

Tyrbolift
06-05-2012, 09:06 AM
"someone has to go back and get a ****load of dimes"In Pickens' best old country southern accent!

"Daams"

rofl

dbx
06-05-2012, 09:16 AM

Nah, I wouldn't even try to tell you that this movie is "all" others here have claimed to be. In fact, I'm not surprised that you find it...not so great. The key thing about groundbreaking movies or TV shows is that you kinda had to be from that era to truly appreciate it. For instance, All In The Family was one of the most brilliant shows ever introduced to TV. But someone 10yrs my junior, like yourself, could understandably blow it off as "meh...", because the ground it broke paved the way for much edgier shows down the road, of which you would be comparing it to.

The original SNL years; the edgiest TV, ever. To someone watching a rerun of it today? Not so much.

A lot gets lost when you can't truly appreciate the perspective of the time frame when a certain media was introduced. Just sayin'....

mslman71
06-05-2012, 09:17 AM
In Pickens' best old country southern accent!

"Daams"

rofl

"Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one .45 caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days concentrated emergency raisons; one drug issue containing: antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair a nylon stockings. Shoot, a fellah could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff." - Maj. Kong (Slim Pickens), Dr. Strangelove.

Tyrbolift
06-05-2012, 09:24 AM
Nah, I wouldn't even try to tell you that this movie is "all" others here have claimed to be. In fact, I'm not surprised that you find it...not so great. The key thing about groundbreaking movies or TV shows is that you kinda had to be from that era to truly appreciate it. For instance, All In The Family was one of the most brilliant shows ever introduced to TV. But someone 10yrs my junior, like yourself, could understandably blow it off as "meh...", because the ground it broke paved the way for much edgier shows down the road, of which you would be comparing it to.

The original SNL years; the edgiest TV, ever. To someone watching a rerun of it today? Not so much.

A lot gets lost when you can't truly appreciate the perspective of the time frame when a certain media was introduced. Just sayin'....Yeah. The Carol Burnett Show from the late 60's in to the 70's would also fall under that category.

cowboybiker
"Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one .45 caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days concentrated emergency raisons; one drug issue containing: antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair a nylon stockings. Shoot, a fellah could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff." - Maj. Kong (Slim Pickens), Dr. Strangelove.LOL.
Just rented that again a few weeks ago.

latebloomingmom

A lot gets lost when you can't truly appreciate the perspective of the time frame when a certain media was introduced. Just sayin'....I understand that it was groundbreaking for its day but when did it come out? year? I remember watching it for the first time when I was a teenager.

bodyhard
06-05-2012, 09:26 AM
Never seen this movie and from the clips that have been posted I wont bother to watch it, looks like a piece of sh!t.

dbx
06-05-2012, 09:27 AM
I understand that it was groundbreaking for its day but when did it come out? year? I remember watching it for the first time when I was a teenager.

1974, which has you watching it a decade after it came out.

Tyrbolift
06-05-2012, 09:27 AM
I understand that it was groundbreaking for its day but when did it come out? year? I remember watching it for the first time when I was a teenager.1973?

Tyrbolift
06-05-2012, 09:29 AM
1974, which has you watching it a decade after it came out.'74 was YF I believe.

latebloomingmom
06-05-2012, 09:29 AM
1974, which has you watching it a decade after it came out.
uh huh I was six when that movie hit the theater:)
which means I saw it on tv years later..remember thinking why are these cowboys so dumb...

dbx
06-05-2012, 09:30 AM
'74 was YF I believe.

YF? :confused:

Tyrbolift
06-05-2012, 09:30 AM
Never seen this movie and from the clips that have been posted I wont bother to watch it, looks like a piece of sh!t.You're a native New Yorker.

dbx
06-05-2012, 09:31 AM
which means I saw it on tv years later..remember thinking why are these cowboys so dumb...

LOL, that's what I'm talking about; your perspective was understandably...different :).

Tyrbolift
06-05-2012, 09:31 AM
which means I saw it on tv years later..remember thinking why are these cowboys so dumb...It was so heavily edited for TV, it's hardly even the same movie.

latebloomingmom
06-05-2012, 09:33 AM
great...like I am gonna go back thru this thread and read about why it was socially/historically significant..then I would have to spend all day googling 1974 to see what the world was like then:(

Marius_Ursus
06-05-2012, 09:34 AM
I watched it for the first time on HBO when I was 11. I remember my dad and mom laughing so hard, they couldn't breathe. I laughed at it, too, just not as hard...too much adult humor for me to understand...until I got older and watched it again...and again...and again...

Mel Brooks was really on a roll back then. Coming off of TV production and making classics like this one and Silent Movie.

I remember being a little older and finally knowing what "screw" meant and laughing really hard at, "Let's play chess!"

dbx
06-05-2012, 09:35 AM
..then I would have to spend all day googling 1974 to see what the world was like then:(

Don't waste your time, as it cannot truly be done/appreciated.

Corbi
06-05-2012, 09:49 AM
I think the whole PC deal has been taken way too far in every aspect of our lives, can't have sportsteams named for anything some group may for whatever lame ass reason find offensive. Movies have to be bleeped out because the words may cause our virgin ears to bleed. Anyone recall the episode of M*A*S*H with Harry Morgan beforfe he came back as Colonel Potter? He was some half mad General and was telling some black guy words along this line "do a jig son, come on boy it's in your blood". It was funny as hell but now days no way is anyone getting that past the censors. Everyone is so concerned about hurting someones feelings that we have gone overboard. Live life a little and learn to laugh, not everything has to be taken so damn seriously.

mslman71
06-05-2012, 10:32 AM
I think the whole PC deal has been taken way too far in every aspect of our lives, can't have sportsteams named for anything some group may for whatever lame ass reason find offensive. Movies have to be bleeped out because the words may cause our virgin ears to bleed. Anyone recall the episode of M*A*S*H with Harry Morgan beforfe he came back as Colonel Potter? He was some half mad General and was telling some black guy words along this line "do a jig son, come on boy it's in your blood". It was funny as hell but now days no way is anyone getting that past the censors. Everyone is so concerned about hurting someones feelings that we have gone overboard. Live life a little and learn to laugh, not everything has to be taken so damn seriously.

What's really interesting is that it has worked (as evidenced by Crup's comments)! People have actually been conditioned to fear the words or the representation to the point that they cannot objectively interpret what they are seeing. They only know to flee from it. Ironic, considering the ultimate point was supposedly to educate, when it fact it has forced a behavior/response through fear conditioning. I'm not passing judgement on those who have been, only remarking that I'm amazed that it has worked. I do my best to reject social conditioning to the extent that it appears to repress objectivity, while recognizing that I have to operate in society so I play along. Anyway...

Marius_Ursus
06-05-2012, 10:34 AM
So essentially we've replaced actual morals with words.

mslman71
06-05-2012, 10:35 AM
So essentially we've replaced actual morals with words.

Yep. Thanks. I should have just said that :D

latebloomingmom
06-05-2012, 10:49 AM
It was so heavily edited for TV, it's hardly even the same movie.well now Ty..I doubt I would have been allowed to watch the unedited version at the time:)

what other movies did Mel Brooks make? ummm it wasnt Space Balls was it:(???

IronCharles
06-05-2012, 11:13 AM
what other movies did Mel Brooks make? ummm it wasnt Space Balls was it:(???He made quite a few. Blazing Saddles and History Of The World Part 1 were my favorites. But, I think this was his best work:

http://s.wordpress.com/imgpress?fit=1000,1000&url=http%3A%2F%2Fgorgonzola1.files.wordpress.com%2 F2010%2F07%2Fsuperagente-86.jpg

Marius_Ursus
06-05-2012, 11:25 AM
I always liked The 2,000 Year Old Man schtick he did with Carl Reiner. (Thanks, Dad, for getting me into Golden Age of Television.)

Reiner: What language did you speak 2,000 years ago?

Brooks: We spoke rock!

Reiner: Rock?

Brooks: Yes, rock...Hey, kid! Put down that rock! My, that's a mighty nice rock!

hochspeyer
06-05-2012, 11:37 AM
So, just so I've got this straight: Blazing Saddles is bad, but Borat is okay, and rap/ hip hop (sorry- pretty much the same as Country/Western) is okay?

Aware me, please.

immuno
06-05-2012, 01:45 PM
I'm 95% certain the teachers showed this movie when I was in 3rd grade. If a schoolteacher showed this movie to their class today? Oh Lawd...

latebloomingmom
06-05-2012, 02:11 PM
I'm 95% certain the teachers showed this movie when I was in 3rd grade. If a schoolteacher showed this movie to their class today? Oh Lawd...you sure about that statistic? teachers in Idaho are crazy:) I think we watched a disney cartoon about math...
at least I am 60 percent sure we did:)

GuyJin
06-05-2012, 02:59 PM
Marius, just in case, the 2000 Year-Old Man cartoon is on YouTube. (Or was, the last time I checked). I remember seeing that once as a kid on TV and my parents loved it. I watched it last year and it's still better than the crap they put out nowadays.

flairon
06-05-2012, 04:16 PM
So, just so I've got this straight: Blazing Saddles is bad, but Borat is okay, and rap/ hip hop (sorry- pretty much the same as Country/Western) is okay?

Aware me, please.

I have never seen one of his movies. I don't find him even remotely funny

flairon
06-05-2012, 04:17 PM

damn kids better stay off my grass...

cowboybiker
06-05-2012, 04:41 PM
Marius, just in case, the 2000 Year-Old Man cartoon is on YouTube. (Or was, the last time I checked). I remember seeing that once as a kid on TV and my parents loved it. I watched it last year and it's still better than the crap they put out nowadays.I saw it there.

Along with the Point and Riki tiki tavi.

classics

WoofieNugget
06-05-2012, 05:02 PM
That movie still makes me laugh even today.

"The sheriff is a NI-" BONG!
"What did he say?"
"The sheriff is NEAR"
"Oh"

Z_JOGmXpe5I

flairon
06-05-2012, 06:05 PM
I saw it there.

Along with the Point and Riki tiki tavi.

classics
Loved Riki Tiki Tavi. The whole thing is out on youtube.

Marius_Ursus
06-06-2012, 07:16 AM
Marius, just in case, the 2000 Year-Old Man cartoon is on YouTube. (Or was, the last time I checked). I remember seeing that once as a kid on TV and my parents loved it. I watched it last year and it's still better than the crap they put out nowadays.

Nice. I forgot about the cartoon version. :)

I'm outta reps...

beachguy498
06-06-2012, 08:54 AM
I saw Blazing Saddles in the movies when it first came out. I went with a bunch of friends. It was winter and we all smuggled in beer. Sat in the last row... one guy opens a can and sprays a few rows. This guy a few rows ahead of us stands up, looks back and sees us all sitting with beers in our hands, wisely he sits down. We did apologize... sorry man...

One of the guys in our group was a world-class farter. At the camp fire scene, he was right in there with them... whatta stink! Good times.

Rob

Dave76
06-06-2012, 09:06 AM
Blazing Saddles is the only movie that I've paid to see twice. I laughed so hard the first time that I missed some of the jokes and I wanted to watch it again. I laughed just as hard the second time.

I've been a Mel Brooks fan forever. All the way back to "Get Smart".

trymarine
06-06-2012, 09:41 AM
Where they're hiring villains,including Hells Angels etc is pure comedy gold,never tire of watching this,young Franken.."its shteen not shtein".Add Stir Crazy to my favourites.

EctoCanuck
06-07-2012, 01:47 AM
That movie still makes me laugh even today.

"The sheriff is a NI-" BONG!
"What did he say?"
"The sheriff is NEAR"
"Oh"

Z_JOGmXpe5I

I was sent to ban camp for a month for posting a clip from this movie even though The American Film Institute ranked it the 6th funniest movie ever made.

Where they're hiring villains,including Hells Angels etc is pure comedy gold,never tire of watching this,young Franken.."its shteen not shtein".Add Stir Crazy to my favourites.

Remember the KKK guys with the happy face and 'have a nice day' on the back of their hoods?I had two friends in my dorm dress like that for a Halloween party.I dressed up as a giant box of Playtex tampons!!!

GregariousWolf
06-07-2012, 05:51 AM
I don't think Blazing Saddles could be made today.